to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
CBox

Getting into sniping

With summer here, I've got the opportunity to take up a summer job and rack up some extra cash. Sniping is something I want to try, and I'm prepared to put in the effort required. Before I start spending a lot of money and pour a bunch of effort into this, I'd like some answers to things I've been wondering. I am not a complete newbie to the game and I understand what being a sniper takes (and also that the "sniper's mystique" rarely ever happens).

First: I mainly play on a medium-sized field with a bunch of plywood and sheet metal buildings with windows in them. The field offers lots of cover but many open areas and there's a bunch of tall grass surrounding the field. Should I make a ghillie suit and hide in the grass with a spotter, or move with my squad and hang back behind them?

Second: My current primary is a G36C. Seeing as it's a subcarbine, it's designed to be compact and maneuverable, but would it be an ideal secondary gun? Obviously, I won't be moving too much, but I'd like to keep as much mobility and firepower as possible.

Third: How many mags should I carry? The field that I play at splits gameplay into rounds that last approximately one to two hours, allowing breaks between rounds to reload magazines, clean barrels, etc.

Fourth: This is the part I've been waiting to get to. What gun should I get? I am aware that there's no cheap way out with sniper rifles. The field I play at has a strict policy against green gas sniper rifles without regulators installed. Because of this, using an HPA rig seems like a good option. Here're the guns I'm considering:

-Tokyo Marui VSR-10 G-Spec: Seems like a nice-preforming gun in stock form with a nice selection of aftermarket parts. It's expensive for a base gun, however, and I don't see a point in getting this gun over a JG BAR-10 if I'm going to be replacing most of the parts.

-Jing Gong BAR-10: Cheap gun with the same amount of aftermarket support as the VSR-10. I'm not sure of the cons of choosing this over the VSR, though.

-Well L96: Looks like an okay-preforming gun for a good price; if I'm right, it's also the gun that UTG and TSD rebrand for their Type 96 sniper rifles. Again, nice aftermarket parts support, but not as many parts as the VSR.

-KJW M700: I like this gun because it runs on green gas and there're guides out there for converting it to HPA. I don't exactly have the best upper-body strength, so the fact that you're not pulling back an M150 spring for every shot is a plus. It's also compatible with Tanaka parts, from what I've heard.

-Classic Army M24 Military: I don't know very much about this gun, but I think I read somewhere that it's APS2-compatible.

-Echo 1 M28: I don't know where to start with this gun. In my opinion, it looks better than the other Model 700 guns I mentioned. It also comes shooting at around 500 FPS stock with a TBB, which is good, but it also worries me, since there aren't a wide range of replacement parts out there (although it's supposedly partially VSR-compatible).

The three guns above, I consider to be the "bread and butter" sniper rifles. They're basic, easily accessible, and common. The commonality of these guns isn't too much of a problem, but it still does bother me. I'd like to stand out against the standard Model 700 and Type 96 variants you usually see.

-Real Sword SVD: Haha, yeah. This gun seems like an awesome performer out-of-the-box. I'm not too crazy about the look of the SVD, but it still looks nice externally. It's expensive and at the very top of my budget, but from what I've read, it takes very little to get it preforming well.

-G&P SR-25: This doesn't exactly qualify as a sniper rifle (more like a DMR base), but I like it. The price is a bit steep, considering that I would need to put some cash into upgrades.

I want to stay away from the Well/Echo 1 ASR and the Javalin M24 just because of the problems they have. Please don't ask why.

Opinions are appreciated!

Edited by Cardboard Box

Personally, I move with just one spotter or by myself.

I don't really like to move with the crowd.

If you can hide/move well, the over team will never know where you are.

Ghillie suit is definitely a plus especially if you can make one yourself.

G36 is okay to be used as a secondary.

But I'd actually use something that's more compact.

Carrying a G36 while wearing a ghillie suit doesn't really work well.

The transition time will also be quite long.

This is what I do.

Get a ghillie suit/camo.

Top will need to be like a jacket so I can use a shoulder holster for a pistol or a compact SMG.

I'm currently using the FPG with the FPG shoulder holster.

And I attached a triple mag pouch on the other side of the holster.

How many mags will depend on how often you'll have a target in sight. (Duh.....)

Since I don't know the field that you play on, I'd go for at least 100 rds of ammo for a 2hr game.

GUNZZZZZZZZZ

You have a pretty good list.

If you can't really pull M150 efficiently, then ditch all of the bolt action ones other than the KJ M700.

So now you are pretty much choosing between the KJ M700, RS SVD and the G&P SR-25.

Think about how often do you think you'll need to shoot.

Considered that you might miss the first shot due to wind or maybe the guy is running and etc.

You can never pull the bolt and push it back in and fire faster than just pulling the trigger on an AEG.

KJ M700, try to get the non-take down version if possible.

I don't have one but I've heard that the take down design has some flaws that'll start to emerge over time.

HPA is always the best way to go for any gas rifles.

RS SVD, yea, a true sniper out of the box.

So no comment lol.

G&P SR-25

If you want the SR-25 for the trades, it's the only way to go.

But if you are looking for a platform for upgrades, you can also look into the CA-25.

It's a lot cheaper so you'll have that extra dimes to spend on upgrading it.

I don't remember if the G&P SR-25 uses the elongated V2 with elongated cylinder and piston or not, but the CA-25 does.

If the G&P does, then their performance will pretty much match each other, if not, the CA-25 will win.

And remember to get a MOSFET, don't need anything fancy, just an Active Breaking MOSFET.

I bought the CA-25 instead of the G&P because that I don't really care about trades as long as there's some engraving since it's going to be camo wrapped.

And the price is like $200~$300 cheaper.

With summer here, I've got the opportunity to take up a summer job and rack up some extra cash. Sniping is something I want to try, and I'm prepared to put in the effort required. Before I start spending a lot of money and pour a bunch of effort into this, I'd like some answers to things I've been wondering. I am not a complete newbie to the game and I understand what being a sniper takes (and also that the "sniper's mystique" rarely ever happens).

First: I mainly play on a medium-sized field with a bunch of plywood and sheet metal buildings with windows in them. The field offers lots of cover but many open areas and there's a bunch of tall grass surrounding the field. Should I make a ghillie suit and hide in the grass with a spotter, or move with my squad and hang back behind them?

Get a good pair of cammies and go from there. You don't want to jump in head first only to find out that you don't like the role as much as you think you do. And with a smaller field you are more than likely going to be moving much more than you think you are.

Second: My current primary is a G36C. Seeing as it's a subcarbine, it's designed to be compact and maneuverable, but would it be an ideal secondary gun? Obviously, I won't be moving too much, but I'd like to keep as much mobility and firepower as possible.

I would say that the best side arm is going to be a pistol. With an AEG you have to worry about large extra mags, and the larger size of the rifle itself. With a pistol you just pop on a holster, put 2 spare mags on your rig and you are golden.

Third: How many mags should I carry? The field that I play at splits gameplay into rounds that last approximately one to two hours, allowing breaks between rounds to reload magazines, clean barrels, etc.

This one really depends on you and your style of play. For my PWD I have 5 mags for her right now. Mainly so I have a few spares if some of them break, I have a few I can still use. For my VSR I have 3 mags, they are easier to get so not to big of a worry. If you are playing a 1-2 hour game I would go into it with atleast 3 mags min. And carry around a speed loader with a bag of ammo just in case.

Fourth: This is the part I've been waiting to get to. What gun should I get? I am aware that there's no cheap way out with sniper rifles. The field I play at has a strict policy against green gas sniper rifles without regulators installed. Because of this, using an HPA rig seems like a good option. Here're the guns I'm considering:

Start with a spring rifle first. Gas guns are great but they sometimes require more work, and extra gear. Not to mention the gas and all of that stuff. Again that is just my view on it, and me living up in ND where it can get very cold durring the night gas really isn't an option for my main weapon.

-Tokyo Marui VSR-10 G-Spec: Seems like a nice-preforming gun in stock form with a nice selection of aftermarket parts. It's expensive for a base gun, however, and I don't see a point in getting this gun over a JG BAR-10 if I'm going to be replacing most of the parts.

-Jing Gong BAR-10: Cheap gun with the same amount of aftermarket support as the VSR-10. I'm not sure of the cons of choosing this over the VSR, though.

The TM is the standard in the sniping community. The bar10 is a good clone of it, but know that you wont take it out of the box and go the the field the same day. If you get the bar10, would order a few upgrades right away. The VSR is a good rifle out fo the box, you pay more for it but you pay for the QC that the bar10 really doesn't.

-Well L96: Looks like an okay-preforming gun for a good price; if I'm right, it's also the gun that UTG and TSD rebrand for their Type 96 sniper rifles. Again, nice aftermarket parts support, but not as many parts as the VSR.

Good gun as well, I have had a few of these much like the VSR rifles. They are good rifles, but again you are more than likely going to upgrade it anyway. This would be the one if you like the thumb hole stock that the VSR series of rifles don't have.

-KJW M700: I like this gun because it runs on green gas and there're guides out there for converting it to HPA. I don't exactly have the best upper-body strength, so the fact that you're not pulling back an M150 spring for every shot is a plus. It's also compatible with Tanaka parts, from what I've heard.

You are correct about the KJ being a clone of the Tanaka. The one thing that the KJ has over the Tanaka, is that the KJ is able to take VSR barrels stock. The Tanaka you have you get an upgraded chamber to use the VSR barrels. And if you are worried about pulling a spring back, don't be. It really isn't that hard to :censored2: the rifles. If you are that small and weak, you should stick with the G36 ;) kidding of course.

-Classic Army M24 Military: I don't know very much about this gun, but I think I read somewhere that it's APS2-compatible.

Great rifle, and still upset that I sold mine. Though finding some of the parts is becoming more of a pain. Thing ot remember that this rifle is heavy. It feels much like a real rifle, which I like but many others don't.

-Echo 1 M28: I don't know where to start with this gun. In my opinion, it looks better than the other Model 700 guns I mentioned. It also comes shooting at around 500 FPS stock with a TBB, which is good, but it also worries me, since there aren't a wide range of replacement parts out there (although it's supposedly partially VSR-compatible).

The three guns above, I consider to be the "bread and butter" sniper rifles. They're basic, easily accessible, and common. The commonality of these guns isn't too much of a problem, but it still does bother me. I'd like to stand out against the standard Model 700 and Type 96 variants you usually see.

-Real Sword SVD: Haha, yeah. This gun seems like an awesome performer out-of-the-box. I'm not too crazy about the look of the SVD, but it still looks nice externally. It's expensive and at the very top of my budget, but from what I've read, it takes very little to get it preforming well.

-G&P SR-25: This doesn't exactly qualify as a sniper rifle (more like a DMR base), but I like it. The price is a bit steep, considering that I would need to put some cash into upgrades.

These ones I can't help you with to be honest. I have no experience with any of them.

For your first rifle I would go with the VSR rifles or the MK96 style of rifles. A ton of info on them and a slew of parts are very easy to find.

I want to stay away from the Well/Echo 1 ASR and the Javalin M24 just because of the problems they have. Please don't ask why.

There ya go man! Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Edit: Ninja'd by woogie_man. Reconsidering my choices.

I guess what I'll do is start without a ghillie suit. If I really decide that I want to spend more time sniping, I'll go through the trouble to make one. There's one mystery solved.

As for the G36C, well, I guess I could do without it if I'm sniping. I'll stick with my pistol and some speed loaders.

I suppose the number of mags I'll need will depend on which gun I get, so I'll save this question for later.

Lastly, I like rifles that have enough heft to them to feel serious, but not so much weight that they become a pain to carry around. I'll wait for more opinions before I start narrowing down my choices. Also, I tend to get trigger-happy at times (it's just in my nature, I guess). A BASR would help me conserve ammo and pick my shots better.

Also also, something I forgot to mention is that the field that I frequent often has medium-strength winds for most of the day. I would need to be able to shoot heavier ammo and have the ability to get second or third shots off in the likely case that I miss.

Edited by Cardboard Box

Depends on your own style of play. Hanging with your squad is more of a designated marksman type person. Not what a sniper does. A lot of people also prefer to go alone rather than with a spotter (considering airsoft is such a small area of a game), but I still recommend a spotter with a good automatic.

If you can take off the butt-stock and put a single-point sling on it then it could be very mobile. If you want more maneuverability I would suggest getting an MP5K or CM030. But I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Remember, you won't be shooting or trying to shoot most of the time. Generally, you will be radioing in and giving intel (if you play as a sniper and not DM). I usually never get through my first mag, but I always keep a spare on me for those "just in case" moments.

Many people will swear that the VSR-10 is better than the BAR-10 even after upgrading all the parts. I don't see the logic in this, but I do believe the VSR does have better externals (parts you won't change out).

There isn't really any cons of this over the VSR if you plan on replacing the internals. The externals are just as good as the TM.

From what I know, this is not an original gun. It is a clone of the Marushin Type 96. If you were going to get a clone of this, get the UTG one. It is very nice compared to all the other similar clones.

HPA tanks are expensive, but well worth the effort if you can afford to make one well. However, it does not require strong arms to pull an M150 spring. I'm pretty much the weakest in my group, and they can't pull it back. I, however, can. It takes a bit of training yourself to pull back the spring easily, but not much muscle at all.

I never touched one, but CA is a good company.

I would never get a sniper that is only partially compatible with a gun. You won't be able to upgrade it, and I've heard it has a few problems.

You need to know this: A sniper rifle is a platform you must build on. It is your job to make it stand out from everyone else's. Look at the "Show off your Rifle" thread in this section and get a feel for what others are doing with their R700 and L96 variants.

It is a very good AEG. I've seen it in action as a stock rifle and I would say it shoots pretty well. However, it doesn't get the 250' shots that people say it does XD

Never heard of it, but it looks pretty cool.

No need to tell us why. We know XD

Edit: Ninja'd by woogie_man. Reconsidering my choices.

I guess what I'll do is start without a ghillie suit. If I really decide that I want to spend more time sniping, I'll go through the trouble to make one. There's one mystery solved.

As for the G36C, well, I guess I could do without it if I'm sniping. I'll stick with my pistol and some speed loaders.

I suppose the number of mags I'll need will depend on which gun I get, so I'll save this question for later.

Lastly, I like rifles that have enough heft to them to feel serious, but not so much weight that they become a pain to carry around. I'll wait for more opinions before I start narrowing down my choices. Also, I tend to get trigger-happy at times (it's just in my nature, I guess). A BASR would help me conserve ammo and pick my shots better.

Also also, something I forgot to mention is that the field that I frequent often has medium-strength winds for most of the day. I would need to be able to shoot heavier ammo and have the ability to get second or third shots off in the likely case that I miss.

What is your budget, and what is your field's FPS limit?

Edited by Neotyguy40

I'm gonna kinda go away from what everyone else is saying, why not upgrade your G36C into a DMR? I mean, if you have enough for the SVD, you could upgrade the heck out of that gun. $500+ can easily get you where you want, and you could extend it into a G36-E for a little more barrel length. I'm just suggesting that, but woogie knows a lot more than me, so my opinion is negligable, sad.

I'm gonna kinda go away from what everyone else is saying, why not upgrade your G36C into a DMR? I mean, if you have enough for the SVD, you could upgrade the heck out of that gun. $500+ can easily get you where you want, and you could extend it into a G36-E for a little more barrel length. I'm just suggesting that, but woogie knows a lot more than me, so my opinion is negligable, sad.

By doing so, he'll need to get a new compact rifle for CQB/Field.

What is your budget, and what is your field's FPS limit?

My budget is $800-ish, but I would like as much as possible to keep costs down. The FPS limits are:

Guns w/ full auto capabilities - 400 FPS (20-foot MED)

BASRs or guns locked to semi-auto - 400-550 FPS (100-foot MED)

Upgrading my G36 into a DMR has always been something I've been considering; however, I would prefer to have a separate gun rather than swapping out my front set, inner barrel, spring, cylinder, etc. to change between CQ and DM roles. Alternatively, I could make my G36C into a DMR and pick up a cheap submachine gun like the CYMA MP5K.

Edited by Cardboard Box

My budget is $800-ish, but I would like as much as possible to keep costs down. The FPS limits are:

Guns w/ full auto capabilities - 400 FPS (20-foot MED)

BASRs or guns locked to semi-auto - 400-550 FPS (100-foot MED)

Upgrading my G36 into a DMR has always been something I've been considering; however, I would prefer to have a separate gun rather than swapping out my front set, inner barrel, spring, cylinder, etc. to change between CQ and DM roles. Alternatively, I could make my G36C into a DMR and pick up a cheap submachine gun like the CYMA MP5K.

You really wouldn't have to change your G36C cylinder, barrel length really doesn't affect accuracy as much as people think it does, 16 inch barrel would easily be enough. All you would really need would be this.....

Element motor

Prometheus TBB

Systema Bucking"and mod it for flat-hop."

Firefly Buffer Rubber

11.1V lipo, better trigger response

Mosfet

NC Star scope, or Tasco, both are good and cheap.

That's really all I can give you for that, as it could be a JG or a KWA.

You really wouldn't have to change your G36C cylinder, barrel length really doesn't affect accuracy as much as people think it does, 16 inch barrel would easily be enough. All you would really need would be this.....

Element motor

Prometheus TBB

Systema Bucking"and mod it for flat-hop."

Firefly Buffer Rubber

11.1V lipo, better trigger response

Mosfet

NC Star scope, or Tasco, both are good and cheap.

That's really all I can give you for that, as it could be a JG or a KWA.

Yea, you don't need a bore up cylinder unless you are going to run 510+ mm barrel.

Barrel length is more of a range thing.

I've already got a few upgrades either already installed or going into my G36C:

-Systema 6.04mm TBB

-SHS Torque Motor

-PDI W-Hold bucking

-AWS Sentry 'FET

-Modify Aluminum piston head (w/ #14 o-ring)

-Prometheus air nozzle

-Modify V3 spring guide

-SHS V3 cylinder head

-Prometheus M120 spring

It's a JG.

I've already got a few upgrades either already installed or going into my G36C:

-Systema 6.04mm TBB

-SHS Torque Motor

-PDI W-Hold bucking

-AWS Sentry 'FET

-Modify Aluminum piston head (w/ #14 o-ring)

-Prometheus air nozzle

-Modify V3 spring guide

-SHS V3 cylinder head

-Prometheus M120 spring

It's a JG.

I wouldn't go with the piston head you listed. I use a Systema duracon in my guns, and it increased fps and is pretty tough. Also, Systema barrels aren't that good, I'd go Prometheus 6.03mm on this build. Your stock JG motor will have no trouble with that M120, or shouldn't anyways. You WILL want new sights, as stock JG sights are terrible, at least on mine they are.