boastudios

semi auto or bolt action!?

im set on "some type" of sniper and there's 2 major options.. a bolt action(a&k dragunov or utg mk96) or a semi auto(custom m16 dmr)

so ive been researching and theres the ups and downs to both. so my real question is, what would you guys recommend? I play in woodland an area, and theres plenty of area there, its quite a large field. so what would you recommend?

im set on "some type" of sniper and there's 2 major options.. a bolt action(a&k dragunov or utg mk96) or a semi auto(custom m16 dmr)

so ive been researching and theres the ups and downs to both. so my real question is, what would you guys recommend? I play in woodland an area, and theres plenty of area there, its quite a large field. so what would you recommend?

M16 is not and will never be a "sniper rifle".

Just go for the UTG Mk96

And it'll be easier and maybe cheaper to get it to sniper ready.

For Semi, get a real DMR/sniper rifle like the SR-25 or SVD....

Edited by EDI 1st

Semi Auto > Bolt action.

Firepower is everything, being able to put more bbs down range will increase your likelihood of getting a hit. One shot kills are still possible, and still happen, but being able to quickly put another round down range if the first one misses is a convenience bolt actions don't have.

The biggest advantage that a Bolt Action has over a Semi Auto Rifle, is the bolt action can be made much quieter than the semi auto M16.

I recently switched from the sniper role to the role of DMR. I had a G&G Sr25 and found that I had much more fun with the DMR. Sniping was great, but having a DMR allowed me to move up with the rest of the team and assualt positions like everyone else, while still being able to provide long range, accurate fire. It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to stay back, provide intel for your team and get the occasional kill? Or do you want to still be in the fight but be able to outrange everyone?

I always thought that semi-auto sniper rifles had less accuracy and range than bolt-actions - I've never seen a AEG that could perform as well as a BASR (aside from all the good I hear about the Real Sword SVD). I looked into getting a DMR, but the performance was always lacking for the FPS.

Theoretically, semi auto guns do have less potential than bolt action when it comes to accuracy. However, this is only due to the vibrations the motor gives, and it does not make much difference. In fact, you can argue that it is equal because the trigger on bolt action rifles require more pull. However, again this makes almost no difference. This is a very debatable subject, and I would not see it in one way or the other.

However, what is not as debatable is the loudness of the gun. A motor will always be much louder than any BASR you will find. Even with my rifle upgraded to 570 FPS, it barely gives even one-tenth the noise that the motor alone on a semi-auto sniper does. Motors give off a high-pitched and longer lasting sound than the piston in a BASR gives off. This causes noise that is easily noticeable for hundreds of feet. Many people know a couple of ways to bring the noise down, but even then I've never heard a semi-auto sniper get nearly as quiet as a BASR. The moment you shoot that thing, they know your position.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that even though the RS SVD has a lower FPS than most rifles? It does not effect it at all. I've seen it in action, and once you tune it a bit you will be hitting 200-250' easy...

Remember, when it comes to sniping, semi-auto is not going to be better than bolt-action (not saying it is worse, but when it comes to actual sniping such as stalking and giving intel, it makes no real difference). When it comes to DMR though, it is much better to get a semi-automatic weapon.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any good, reliable, gas, semi-automatic sniper rifles? I think that would solve much of the "noise" issue I described before...

Edited by Neotyguy40

thanks for all your input guys... so its silence and power/accuracy or louder yet ability to send a barrage of pellets there way...in all honestly im kind of digging the dmr/semi auto sniper because if you miss one shot you must take your eye away from the scope and :censored2: it back, vs being able to stay on target.

To be quite honest, my DMRs have equal or greater range/accuracy than the sniper rifles I've gone up against, or played with. With the proper application, work, and tweaking, any AEG can shoot the exact same as a sniper rifle. It is all the same basic system. We all shoot the same rounds, using similar hop ups. The ability to fire off several rounds is the best advantage, gun wise, than being quiet.

Neotyguy40 brought up a good point though. If you are going to be sniping in the full sense of the word, then you will need a sniper rifle, or a different AEG. M16s are still very loud, if you are still wanting a DMR, but wanting it to be as silent as possible, a gun with room around the gearbox to silent, such as an AUG or FN2000.

To be quite honest, my DMRs have equal or greater range/accuracy than the sniper rifles I've gone up against, or played with. With the proper application, work, and tweaking, any AEG can shoot the exact same as a sniper rifle. It is all the same basic system. We all shoot the same rounds, using similar hop ups. The ability to fire off several rounds is the best advantage, gun wise, than being quiet.

Neotyguy40 brought up a good point though. If you are going to be sniping in the full sense of the word, then you will need a sniper rifle, or a different AEG. M16s are still very loud, if you are still wanting a DMR, but wanting it to be as silent as possible, a gun with room around the gearbox to silent, such as an AUG or FN2000.

I think this would be a good aug base :http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_222&products_id=29826

since it has ris and I could throw a silencer on it to hide a longer inner barrel... maybe for the gearbox a guarder sp150 ftk and guarder gearbox shell? with a mosfet? I think that would be good

I think this would be a good aug base :http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_44_222&products_id=29826

since it has ris and I could throw a silencer on it to hide a longer inner barrel... maybe for the gearbox a guarder sp150 ftk and guarder gearbox shell? with a mosfet? I think that would be good

Nope, that is one of the strongest guns on the market right now. All you would need is a new spring, some deans, and a new battery. The rest could be done with custom mods. The gun comes with a mosfet, it might not be a good mosfet, but it does the job. The gears are tough as nails, as are the bushings. The piston is solid as a rock. Just get some sorbo for the cylinder head.

The motor is strong enough, all you'll need is a stronger battery. Getting a new hop up bucking and a 509mm tbb, and you are good to go. Don't get a longer barrel, it won't help you out in the long run. A silencer will help quiet the pop the gun should make, but, be warned, silencers are illegal without the proper registration in the US. Padding can be stuffed around the gearbox to help quiet the gun itself. There are many, many threads of people who have build silent aug builds. Try searching for them to see what you can find. Just be sure to do your research. DIY stuff can truly make this gun shine.

I will still say, a Bolt action can be quieter, an AUG or FN2k will be as close as you can get to a silent AEG.

Well it's more fun to play as DMR cause you can keep up with the assault players but the sniper role has it's own beauty, taking targets on long ranges unseen for my it's the biggest joy. Every body to look around from where they've been hit and I'm only 30m away!!!

The RS SVD is the best AEG semi auto I've handled has very good range and pretty good accuracy, though a well tuned BASR has slightly better range and accuracy near the max range, BUT with the semi auto you can adjust your aim or compensate side wind easier.

Either way is fun but you're going to decide how you're going to play.

Wolf

I think im pretty convinced on the semi auto. it will cost more but I think will be well worth it. im going to take an approach on the aug once I get some cash together(probably in 2 months ill have some cash to get this going). aug sounds good since you can silence it using dynamat due to the large space it has in the stock to accommodate it.