gotmilk24

What do you think of sniping?

First, I would like to say, that I actually went with getting a new sniper which is a UTG MK96 and im LOVING it.

This is true and not so true, there is a close comparison to range from a sniper to an aeg, but you have to remember, for a sniper 1 shot is hopefully 1 kill(unless you suck like me and use 10 shots) and for an AEG user, you shoot fully automatic everywhere where you see someone if your crazy and you hopefully hit him. The AEG person is using mabye 40 bb's just to get that one person when a sniper doesn't even use close to that amount. Also not all AEG's can go even 100 feet, but most snipers can go 150 with light upgrading(snipers are also much more accurate)

Anything that is not an LPEG can go 100 feet. JGs and other clones usually have a max range (accuracy) of 125-150 ft. Sniper rifles are not much more accurate than AEGs, most of the sniper rifles you see in the videos have many hours of tuning and upgrades into them. A stock UTG or AGM will have the same accuracy as a JG.

EDIT: That was a pretty awesome video, must've been alot of work putting 6 hrs of video from 3 cameras into one 16 minute video.

Edited by Messinator

I'm not the biggest fan of namloot but he's right and that's part of the reason I prefer arnies and ASR to this forum with certain exceptions. Way too many kids on here are obsessed with hurting people (either through FPS or ROF, witness all the DSG threads out there now) just so that they "make sure people call their hits." Terrible justification and only liable to hurt the sport.

Guns don't hurt people, people hurt people....sort of. I have never fielded my 60+ rps builds...but that has more to do with ammo consumption than hurting people.

The two guns I play with (both AK's) shoot 450fps <AT> 20 rps and 380fps <AT> 35 rps. Neither are dangerous, because I exercise caution when airsofting.

Back on topic: Sniping is a skill, not the rifle you use.

I'm also going to say, that your KWA can more than likely out-range your bar-10.

Snipers are useful. Sniper rifles are not.

Snipers, when actually playing the role of a sniper, (not just going off trying to get kills) and relaying information about the enemy back, are a very valued part of a team, and can be incredibly helpful and dangerous. Sniper rifles are in-effective because they are incredibly slow. They do not hold ANY advantage over a decently tuned and upgraded AEG. If you play to the standard field limits in the mid-west of ~400fps with a .25g bb, you can hit close to 280+ feet with flat hop (as shown by Star_Folder). And on top of that, you can still use full auto. It's helpful because if you accurize an AEG, and then jack up the ROF, to maximize your hit percentage.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I have built guns that can dump their midcap before the man in the ghillie pulls his bolt back. This is helpful, because I can suppress him, move up, and bombard him with my little 6mm bbs. I will then advance on him, and get within surrendering range. Trust me...I've done that once or twice.

-Major9

Guns don't hurt people, people hurt people....sort of. I have never fielded my 60+ rps builds...but that has more to do with ammo consumption than hurting people.

The two guns I play with (both AK's) shoot 450fps <AT> 20 rps and 380fps <AT> 35 rps. Neither are dangerous, because I exercise caution when airsofting.

Back on topic: Sniping is a skill, not the rifle you use.

I'm also going to say, that your KWA can more than likely out-range your bar-10.

Snipers are useful. Sniper rifles are not.

Snipers, when actually playing the role of a sniper, (not just going off trying to get kills) and relaying information about the enemy back, are a very valued part of a team, and can be incredibly helpful and dangerous. Sniper rifles are in-effective because they are incredibly slow. They do not hold ANY advantage over a decently tuned and upgraded AEG. If you play to the standard field limits in the mid-west of ~400fps with a .25g bb, you can hit close to 280+ feet with flat hop (as shown by Star_Folder). And on top of that, you can still use full auto. It's helpful because if you accurize an AEG, and then jack up the ROF, to maximize your hit percentage.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I have built guns that can dump their midcap before the man in the ghillie pulls his bolt back. This is helpful, because I can suppress him, move up, and bombard him with my little 6mm bbs. I will then advance on him, and get within surrendering range. Trust me...I've done that once or twice.

-Major9

Someone had a post on here saying that snipers don't go for the kill they go for the satisfaction of getting someone out by using a single shot from a gun instead of "dumping" you mag onto someone, like many people do. I have never been the one to use full auto because it's a little obnoxious to just pull the trigger for 5 seconds because there is nothing to that. Also if snipers and AEG's are so much the same then why do some people even bother in buying one? It's because they aren't.

Imagine that, I agree with Major...

Yes, my DMR shoots 600fps, I use .4s, and they sound like bricks when they hit trees at 300ft. I have the fps because I enjoy pushing my guns to the limits, not because I have a problem with people calling their hits. Heck, I didn't have a problem with people calling their hits when my gun shot 480fps at 250ft+, before I ever used the flat hop. Having such a high fps allows me to fully use the flat hop, and get the most range I can possibly push out of my gun.

Even though the L85 has an MED of 100ft, I don't shoot people closer that 150ft. I just find it cruel. Same goes with my FN2k, it has almost 300ft of range, and shoots at a consistent 399fps with .25s, right under our full auto limit. It also shoots 30rps, however, I still only use it on semi auto, even that fps hurts a good bit, there is no need to use full auto unless its absolutely necessary.

As for the difference between aegs and sniper rifles, there is none, an upgraded aeg can shoot the exact same as an upgraded sniper rifle, the aeg has full auto, the sniper rifle does not, at least, the aeg has semi auto. Really, they are the same.

Getting just any sniper rifle is easy - Getting a sniper rifle and making it a very effective, long range, dead accurate sniper rifle is not easy to get.

Being a sniper in airsoft, a good one, is not easy. I was a hardcore Newbie using an L96 using .4g BB's and at 120-150ft I was hitting nearly anything I put my scope's sights on. I kept the barrel clean, I kept the scope as close to the gun as I could, and I made sure to tune the hop up and scope in while in a no-wind environment. It took a few weeks from getting it to getting it sighted in, and then some more time playing with friends to practice with it before I got it to a game.

Now I have to say, it's not the most upgradeable airsoft gun out there but I liked the L96 and I'm sure with a nicer barrel in it, some custom hop up work and a weee bit more FPS behind it I could have punched .48g BBs to 150ft dead accurate or push my .4's to 200ft but that'd have cost me about what the gun's original purchase would have been two fold. Being a sniper is a pain in the @#$ because as everyone and I will reitterate, AEG users, especially ones with non-stock guns that punch 440-450fps and use .28's will match you.... with full auto. From experience.... this sucks and so you need to stay off to the side 90% of the game to stay out of the main firefight.

As for people not calling hits, consult the great interwebs for sniper forums and threads, get a few upgrades into your gun to get your gun as close to your field limit as possible while keeping that FPS deviance to +/- 1-5fps at most... No, not because FPS = win, but because more FPS will let you fire a heavier BB just as far, and farther than what I'm guessing were .2g's you were using. First hand experience tells us this:

400fps + .2g + 120ft shot distance =/= 400fps feeling when the BB hits

however...

400fps + .28g + 120ft shot distance feels a lot more like a .2 going 400fps much closer... it's that Joule Energy thing.... confusing stuff but I promise it works.

Now if you kick the FPS up to your field limit(500fps or so from what I read) and fire a .4g BB.... that's going to hurt like a mofo when it hits at 150ft... I know because that practice I said earlier that I do with my rifle? It involves both shooting the gun at people in games AND being shot at by the gun in following games. I knew the distance that BBs caused the 'out!' effect and the 'OW!! MOTHER $%@#$%ER!!' effect.

This also helps in letting you know about how close you can get before your opponent can hear the gun fire(that stealth thing... yeah I hear it's all the rage with this sniper crowd :lol: ). I found out that at about 50ft you could hear the quiet crack of my non-sorbo'd piston right before you hear the zip of the BB go past you, but at about 75ft, half my "effective range" - you could not hear the gun, just the BB. That's terrifying when you see squad members drop and you can't even hear the person shooting at you. Even more terrifying when it's paired up with a squad shooting at you with AEGs and that sniper is taking good shots.

This guy is right on to what I think

Someone had a post on here saying that snipers don't go for the kill they go for the satisfaction of getting someone out by using a single shot from a gun instead of "dumping" you mag onto someone, like many people do. I have never been the one to use full auto because it's a little obnoxious to just pull the trigger for 5 seconds because there is nothing to that.

You call it satisfaction, I call it in-effective. You can wet yourself cause you got that kill with one shot...but my team will benefit, because I quickly and effectively took out an enemy threat without a second thought.

I don't condone dumping your mag, however it proved my point.

Also if snipers and AEG's are so much the same then why do some people even bother in buying one? It's because they aren't.

Well, you are both completely wrong, and correct in a sense.

They are different, because of the feel and look. People buy sniper rifle because they are imortilized in the media, and they enjoy the feel of pulling back that bolt like they do with their hunting rifles.

From a performance standpoint, you are completely false. Show me one performance benefit a well tuned/upgraded sniper has over a well tuned/upgraded AEG, and I will eat my shoe.

-Major9

Edited by major9

You call it satisfaction, I call it in-effective. You can wet yourself cause you got that kill with one shot...but my team will benefit, because I quickly and effectively took out an enemy threat without a second thought.

They are different, because of the feel and look. People buy sniper rifle because they are imortilized in the media, and they enjoy the feel of pulling back that bolt like they do with their hunting rifles.

From a performance standpoint, you are completely false. Show me one performance benefit a well tuned/upgraded sniper has over a well tuned/upgraded AEG, and I will eat my shoe.

-Major9

Fully upgraded vsr-10(maxed out) would pinpoint accurate. The thing is, if an aeg is upgraded to be amazingly accurate, then thats stupid, because AEG's aren't made for accuracy, there made for action and getting people at mid range, not to be pimped up into some auto-sniper. That would be a DMs job(but not auto). It's exactly the same with the real military, it's possible to take an m16 and modify it to be very accurate, but why would you? That's what snipers are for. Now I'm not the best with airsoft and probably sound like an idiot, but this is my view of the point. And now I feel depressed because I just got a new sniper.

-Major9

Fully upgraded vsr-10(maxed out) would pinpoint accurate. The thing is, if an aeg is upgraded to be amazingly accurate, then thats stupid, because AEG's aren't made for accuracy, there made for action and getting people at mid range, not to be pimped up into some auto-sniper. That would be a DMs job(but not auto). It's exactly the same with the real military, it's possible to take an m16 and modify it to be very accurate, but why would you? That's what sniper rifles are for. Now I'm not the best with airsoft and probably sound like an idiot, but this is my view of the point. And now I feel depressed because I just got a new sniper lol

Edited by gotmilk24

Fully upgraded vsr-10(maxed out) would pinpoint accurate. The thing is, if an aeg is upgraded to be amazingly accurate, then thats stupid, because AEG's aren't made for accuracy, there made for action and getting people at mid range, not to be pimped up into some auto-sniper. That would be a DMs job(but not auto). It's exactly the same with the real military, it's possible to take an m16 and modify it to be very accurate, but why would you? That's what snipers are for. Now I'm not the best with airsoft and probably sound like an idiot, but this is my view of the point. And now I feel depressed because I just got a new sniper.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/GandP-SR...es-t222058.html

Not stupid, it was made for accuracy and that's what it is. Not automatic, semi auto. AEGs can be semi-only if you mod the selector plate, for field limits. Nuff said.

Any other cool airsoft gun-cam videos?

Fully upgraded vsr-10(maxed out) would pinpoint accurate. The thing is, if an aeg is upgraded to be amazingly accurate, then thats stupid, because AEG's aren't made for accuracy, there made for action and getting people at mid range, not to be pimped up into some auto-sniper. That would be a DMs job(but not auto). It's exactly the same with the real military, it's possible to take an m16 and modify it to be very accurate, but why would you? That's what sniper rifles are for. Now I'm not the best with airsoft and probably sound like an idiot, but this is my view of the point. And now I feel depressed because I just got a new sniper.

What would you define as pinpoint? And when I say AEG, that includes DMR's. Ask Soccer77 if you don't think DMR's can be as accurate at range as snipers.

Why is it stupid to accurize an AEG? It means better performance, while maintaining (semi) auto function.

I never implied that building a auto-sniper would be cool. I mentioned that taking a standard AEG at field limits, and accurizing it, will give you quite an edge over most snipers with their bolties and minimum engagement distances.

Why would you modify a rifle to get the maximum accuracy? The question you should be asking yourself is why wouldn't you. More so in real combat than airsoft (the point still stands however), wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to give yourself an edge on the battlefield?

-Major9

it all simply is preference on what you like, I only stopped because I kept breaking my mk96 like an idiot and enjoyed assault a tad more. Because that is all airsoft is about right? it is a hobby, it is about fun. Do what you love.

What would you define as pinpoint? And when I say AEG, that includes DMR's. Ask Soccer77 if you don't think DMR's can be as accurate at range as snipers.

Why is it stupid to accurize an AEG? It means better performance, while maintaining (semi) auto function.

I never implied that building a auto-sniper would be cool. I mentioned that taking a standard AEG at field limits, and accurizing it, will give you quite an edge over most snipers with their bolties and minimum engagement distances.

Why would you modify a rifle to get the maximum accuracy? The question you should be asking yourself is why wouldn't you. More so in real combat than airsoft (the point still stands however), wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to give yourself an edge on the battlefield?

-Major9

Your exactly right, you should always try to get your gun better if you can, but if you really really want to push the limits for accuracy, then a sniper would be more ideal for that/ or a DMR. Not a CQB m4 with one of those mini-silencer attachments with rails on it with a bipod, and then putting a $70 hop-up bucking in it for extreme distance, and then getting an extended magazine for it...Sorry that's what someone was talking to me and my friends about, he was bragging about his gun and what he did to it. I was thinking that was over the top.

it all simply is preference on what you like, I only stopped because I kept breaking my mk96 like an idiot and enjoyed assault a tad more. Because that is all airsoft is about right? it is a hobby, it is about fun. Do what you love.

"Do what you love", Right on, I'm going to snipe because that's what I like. Sorry about your MK96, thats what I have, and I love mine.

Note that major9's opinion is pretty common for someone who mostly plays a lot of open/speedball type games.

You'll find most larger milsim events will boost the effectiveness of a squad sniper and squad support type by enforcing midcap-only rules on assault rifles and setting FPS limits to something like 375 with .25s for an assault rifle, and 460 with .36s (roughly 600 fps with .2s) for a sniper rifle. This levels the playing field a little.

Note that major9's opinion is pretty common for someone who mostly plays a lot of open/speedball type games.

Kinda.....I am a fan of the rushing tactics. My goal is to get the enemy out as quickly as possible. That being said, most of our games take upwards of 2 or 3 hours (with 10 guys total), so Its not speedball by any means.

You'll find most larger milsim events will boost the effectiveness of a squad sniper and squad support type by enforcing midcap-only rules on assault rifles and setting FPS limits to something like 375 with .25s for an assault rifle, and 460 with .36s (roughly 600 fps with .2s) for a sniper rifle. This levels the playing field a little.

They have the right idea. If it were up to me, normal small caliber (in the real world) rifles would have to <350 fps with a .2g. Larger calibers like that AK-47 and the Scar-H etc can have <450 fps with a .2g, DMRs (SR25, PSG-1, SVD) up to 550 fps with a .2g, Bolties (VSR-10, L96, etc) 600 fps with a .2g bb, and big rifles like the M82 and M200 up to 700+ fps with a .2g bb. Now keep in mind that everyone would need minimal engagement distances....

Just a thought.

-Major9

That's how my field goes. You can't go over 400 for an aeg and you can't go over 500 for a sniper

My my, so much controversary.

I am not sure if a finely tuned Bolt Action will beat a finely tuned and maxed out AEG its a toss up.

I do know that DMRs can be consistently effective at extreme ranges. I can currently hit a tree at 354 feet with 0.40gs 6/10 but that was in high winds.

I keep trying to find a day to sight in my new scope but I keep running into cloudy days with wind and its hard to sight in a scope with a darker sky with Tan bbs.

Once it sighted in, I can pretty much say if you are inside say....300 feet and in my line of sight, your gone.

Not being egotistical I just spent hours and hours on my gun and setup and I am practicing with it a lot to get used to how it shoots and am also working on fine tuning it.

The only MAJOR thing separating a bolt action from me in terms of tech alone is the fact that bolt actions are already cocked. I could by a pre-cocking mosfet, but I don't really deem it worth the money.

The Sniper Role itself is extremely vital to the cause of airsoft if its done correctly. It can be an advance scout...it can take out key targets...it can ambush...it can cause chaos in formations.....etc....

My my, so much controversary.

The only MAJOR thing separating a bolt action from me in terms of tech alone is the fact that bolt actions are already cocked. I could by a pre-cocking mosfet, but I don't really deem it worth the money.

The Sniper Role itself is extremely vital to the cause of airsoft if its done correctly. It can be an advance scout...it can take out key targets...it can ambush...it can cause chaos in formations.....etc....

Your completely right, well if I understand what you mean. Your saying that the only difference is a DMR is already cocked?

Also it depends on skill, you might have one of the best snipers in the world, but if you suck, it would be the same as stock because you don't know how to use it.

Your completely right, well if I understand what you mean. Your saying that the only difference is a DMR is already cocked?

Also it depends on skill, you might have one of the best snipers in the world, but if you suck, it would be the same as stock because you don't know how to use it.

Ah notice I said in terms of tech :) I didn't mention the shooters skill.

I also mentioned how much take I take fine tuning my hop up and scope which also involves me getting used to how it works.

Now if you want me to talk about skill and not just tech as I mentioned in my last post, yes.

The Sniper Class takes the most discipline IMHO.

As a well established DM, when moving with the Fire Team is fairly easy. You just need to know how your airsoft gun handles through and through so you can take quick follow up shots, adjust to the situation, etc.....

I sometimes can play as a Sniper Class, may be not by the book as I don't use a Bolt Action but I do have the ability to scout since I bring Binoculars with me, except I am more of a short range scout as I move a bit in front of the Fire Team so I can relay OPFOR numbers and positions and break ambushes.

Ah notice I said in terms of tech :) I didn't mention the shooters skill.

I also mentioned how much take I take fine tuning my hop up and scope which also involves me getting used to how it works.

Lol thats the hardest part about it to me lol. Since my sniper is new I'm still not sure if I zeroed in my scope right and my gun curving to the left, I think. Takes so long to adjust and get everything right, but once it's done then it's all about hitting someone.

Personally, I don't think I'd have very much fun sniping in airsoft. I've never actually done it, or used a highly upgraded sniper rifle, but the idea of spending such long periods of time crawling along the ground (with who knows what), and then with all the variables and factors to consider when lining up a shot, along with how much attention to detail a sniper would generally pay in a game... I do believe I am patient, but man, I don't think I am that patient. I wouldn't be against accompanying a sniper while playing the game, if only to see how it is they do things and observe how the role is played, but with what I know comes with sniping in airsoft... I just don't know if I'd have the patience. My very strong fear of spiders is a primary reason why crawling along the ground doesn't appeal to me that much, and from what I gather, it's common for a sniper in a woodland area to encounter spiders crawling about.

But hey, I'm sure there are plenty people who enjoy playing the role. I just don't think I'm one of them. :P

Remember shooting is not the only thing a sniper does. The rifle is only a tool to accomplish your job as reconnaissance. With the limitations of airsoft, the sniper is less of a threat because he cannot reach out and touch someone. You can always walk your BBs with an aeg and shoot 200+ feet. It sounds like you haven't had much practice, and that's exactly what you will need to get better. When you go out though, always work on SOMETHING you think you lack. I know I lack still at judging distances of anything further than 150 feet. Usually at around 100 feet, my opponents call themselves out, because they hurt, and you can hear the "THACK!" of the BB, so I always try to get that close to my enemy or let them get that close to me, or I just don't take the shot. The sniper usually gets the least amount of kills on the field compared to his AEG buddies. But I give away all their positions, muahaha. Oh, and another thing you'll need...

Practice

My $0.02 anyway. Good luck on your choice :a-grin:

Okay, opinions often vary on this site, as with all airsoft sites. The fact is, regardless of how good of a gun you have, whether it's a stock bolt action or it's a $1,000 DMR that can hit people at 300feet or more on full/semi auto, the game of sniping really comes down to skill and patience. What good will that DMR do if you don't know how to use it? There are guys on my team that can own guys with $300+ AEGs with stock Bolt Actions. The only advantage that a DMR has over a sniper rifle is ROF, I can down range accurately 1 round every 2-3 seconds with my L-96, whereas I could put down around 4-5 rounds semi with my M16 DMR. Yes, I realize that a M16 isn't a DMR, but it's too big for anything else. Back on topic, a good sniper will kill their target on the 1st shot, making a rof advantage completely useless. Most people aren't good snipers, and have the mind set that more shots=more kills. My friend who is also the teams DM, uses the M16, but performs just as well, if not better, with my L-96. The reason being, it is quieter, allowing the sniper to remain hidden. It has a higher fps, which gives some knockdown at range, though inconclusive as you can upgrade a DMR to the same fps as a bolt action. The lack of ROF in the bolt action can actually be an advantage, as you make sure your 1st shot counts, and wait until the time is perfect. Bolt actions are also much easier to work on, I can take my L-96 apart and put it back together in well under 30 minutes. Whereas my M4 takes me usually an hour. It's all preference, if you like a Bolt Action use it, it WILL NOT hinder your ability as a sniper, in fact, it may allow you to get more into the sniper role. You could also carry an AEG with you in case you get bored of sniping.

Scary part is when you put a 1000$+ 350feet + DMR in the hands of someone who knows how to use it :)

Scary part is when you put a 1000$+ 350feet + DMR in the hands of someone who knows how to use it :)

That reminded me that I still need to make a new ghillie suit....

So I tried out sniping about a week ago at an airsoft field and I got a new gun which is a JG Bar 10. When I went, and I tried to zero out my scope the best I could, I realized that sniping was very hard and that it's also hard to tell where the BB is going to go. My main problem was there was a slight breeze and my BB's would curve to the left so I aimed more to the right and then as soon as I took my the breeze stopped so I missed because I was aiming so my BB was going with the wind. My other problem was when I was aiming higher up I could see my BB going right for them about to hit and then it just dropped off. I only got mabye 3 or 4 people. MABYE. I couldn't tell because other people were shooting at them at the same time. So now im sad because I don't even know if sniping is right for me, and now I'm trying to sell the gun and I keep having second thoughts about keeping it. Do you think I should sell it? What are your thoughts on airsoft sniping?

For starters, sniping isn't for everyone; we aren't playing COD here. I spent about 4 years playing airsoft before I attempted sniping because of its difficulty.

Really, the value of the sniper is dependent of the game. I only use my sniper (WELL MB01, a variant of the L96) in games such as VIP and CTF, where it is appropriate to take out a specific target. The role of the sniper isn't to take out everyone, it's actually a good role for sabotaging, recon, and creating chaos. Forget about the kills and go for specifics I.e. Commanders, squad leaders, and flag carriers and have ALOT of patience.

As you mentioned, the BBs curved. You most likely have a lower weight BB and/or a lower FPS rifle. My sniper gets near 500 FPS with .25s and about 470 FPS with .30s. If you have trouble seeing where the BBs hit, use a paper with a target on it and measure the distance from where you aimed and convert it to clicks to help calibrate the scope.

So I tried out sniping about a week ago at an airsoft field and I got a new gun which is a JG Bar 10. When I went, and I tried to zero out my scope the best I could, I realized that sniping was very hard and that it's also hard to tell where the BB is going to go. My main problem was there was a slight breeze and my BB's would curve to the left so I aimed more to the right and then as soon as I took my the breeze stopped so I missed because I was aiming so my BB was going with the wind. My other problem was when I was aiming higher up I could see my BB going right for them about to hit and then it just dropped off. I only got mabye 3 or 4 people. MABYE. I couldn't tell because other people were shooting at them at the same time. So now im sad because I don't even know if sniping is right for me, and now I'm trying to sell the gun and I keep having second thoughts about keeping it. Do you think I should sell it? What are your thoughts on airsoft sniping?

Most people that snipe in airsoft do it for the role, rather than it's effectiveness. A certain majority of those players upgrade their rifles so they can get some kills so they don't feel like they played pretend with grown men for 5 hours.

I love some of the AWESOME comments on here, both negative and positive towards snipers but can we PLEASE have one simple thing ironed out:

Sniper=a recon based INDIVIDUAL who uses a special purpose weapon to take out key targets or relay information back to friendlies

Sniper Rifle=The weapon that most SNIPERS use for a certain task.

Got it?

Sniper=person

Sniper Rifle=Weapon

That is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I HATE it when someone comes on talking about how "I can shoot my sniper and it goes 10 bajillion feet!!!". You can shoot a person how many feet? ARG!!!!

...sorry just needed to get that out there.

On Topic: I believe the sniper role is far more important to train and tune than the actual weapon. It requires a vast amount of patience and determination to truly be a sniper. You need to learn about leading your targets, wind effect, "bullet drop" over distance and keeping yourself concealed. Hell even walking in a densely forested area takes a HUGE amount of practice. I can't tell you how many times Ive run out with new players and all they do is trudge about, stepping on every stupid branch and making a ridiculous amount of sound. Learn to use a light foot, guys!

But I digest...One of the best pieces of advice I was given is to learn how to build your own guillie. If you are able to build a decent guillie than you have the patience to play a sniper role. And that is the best advice I can give. I have yet to build a guillie but I am in the process of it as well as upgrading my (Beast, stock) SR25 based DMR. After that, work toward upgrading the internals of the SNIPER RIFLE (Lol thought I would forget huh?), many of which cost VERY little and are fun DIY projects. Of course that doesn't include tightbore, hop up and such, but still, my point still stands.

Once you get those things down, than you can be a truly effective sniper, even if your weapon is not the best. Just remember that is requires patience to play a sniper or DM role. And not to bash age groups, but most 14-20 year old newbie airsofters just don't have that. They want to be like battlefield, call of duty and act of valor. And thats cool, but get an AEG. They shoot faster, almost as accurate as a sniper rifle and will get you closer to the action. If you like the idea of being a DM or sniper, try it out, drop a few upgrades in, work on your tactics and see how it turns out. If all else fails, you can sell it all and buy a pretty decent AEG.

I love some of the AWESOME comments on here, both negative and positive towards snipers but can we PLEASE have one simple thing ironed out:

Sniper=a recon based INDIVIDUAL who uses a special purpose weapon to take out key targets or relay information back to friendlies

Sniper Rifle=The weapon that most SNIPERS use for a certain task.

Got it?

Sniper=person

Sniper Rifle=Weapon

That is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I HATE it when someone comes on talking about how "I can shoot my sniper and it goes 10 bajillion feet!!!". You can shoot a person how many feet? ARG!!!!

...sorry just needed to get that out there.

On Topic: I believe the sniper role is far more important to train and tune than the actual weapon. It requires a vast amount of patience and determination to truly be a sniper. You need to learn about leading your targets, wind effect, "bullet drop" over distance and keeping yourself concealed. Hell even walking in a densely forested area takes a HUGE amount of practice. I can't tell you how many times Ive run out with new players and all they do is trudge about, stepping on every stupid branch and making a ridiculous amount of sound. Learn to use a light foot, guys!

But I digest...One of the best pieces of advice I was given is to learn how to build your own guillie. If you are able to build a decent guillie than you have the patience to play a sniper role. And that is the best advice I can give. I have yet to build a guillie but I am in the process of it as well as upgrading my (Beast, stock) SR25 based DMR. After that, work toward upgrading the internals of the SNIPER RIFLE (Lol thought I would forget huh?), many of which cost VERY little and are fun DIY projects. Of course that doesn't include tightbore, hop up and such, but still, my point still stands.

Once you get those things down, than you can be a truly effective sniper, even if your weapon is not the best. Just remember that is requires patience to play a sniper or DM role. And not to bash age groups, but most 14-20 year old newbie airsofters just don't have that. They want to be like battlefield, call of duty and act of valor. And thats cool, but get an AEG. They shoot faster, almost as accurate as a sniper rifle and will get you closer to the action. If you like the idea of being a DM or sniper, try it out, drop a few upgrades in, work on your tactics and see how it turns out. If all else fails, you can sell it all and buy a pretty decent AEG.

Nicely said, thanks for saving me the typing. I snipe as well and use a ASGI G700. Great gun that shoots 360 FPS WITH .40's!!! Great gun, gotten many a kill with it.

I think its okay. With my style of play, I think a sniper rifle would work, seeing that I like to try to get ranged hits, having the best range out of AEG users (using CYMA M14, only one to use high grade .25s). I guess that if I had a good sniper rifle it would be some fun. I do have to mention though that sniper rifles should be upgraded, they don't perform well stock. Get an R-Hop at least, and be sure you use good ammo, .25 or .3 preferably. And you got a decent amount of kills, heck, I'm lucky if I get two a game day with my AEG. I've been thinking of putting an R-Hop and a Prommy barrel in that M14, I might be able to use it as a DMR that way. Don't want to up the power though because the field I am at requires real caps for guns over 420, and its difficult to get M14 real caps.

Sniping is a talent. My friend is a natural sniper I usually scout around the area around him with my aeg mp5. My friend is like well my bb is going to be 3.5 inches higher than my aim because of this wind so he aims bit lower then boom in the head. His gun is like a cross between a sniper and assault rifle on the outside and on the inside it is spring loaded too. When I play I am a stalker. I can sneak after that Newbie for half an hour where he leads me to his base or something where an enemy sniper or his friends are thats when I go semi auto and get them one at a time. That or I just run in and spray if im really in the mood to waste bbs. Sniping takes ammense skill. And almost every gun takes alot of skill to master. Don't feel bad if you suck at sniping.

I have a few friends in the marksmanship dept and what I have read is that alot of u talk about the sinper as a lone wolf but he isnt hes a member of a team of two and what I know about sniper is that the spotter is the master marksman of the team the sniper is the apprentance so what I suggest is if ur serious find a really good sniper and ask him to be ur spotter hell help u get set up and teach u what u need to know