Sign in to follow this  
Connor2882

Upgraded UTG L96

So I got a UTG L96 a while ago and since then I've slowly been adding upgrades. I recently order a PDI APS2 hop up chamber which has yet to arrive, but as it stands this is my upgrade list:

Madbull 6.03v2 tightbore

purple prom. soft bucking

piston kit

new m170 spring (I think..)

and my own mods are:

teflon tape mod

and I made the barrel spacers stay even.

Does anyone know what this should chrono at? And any idea what the range will be like with .3s or .28s or something maybe a little heavier?

And any suggestions for other upgrades are welcome! Thanks!

So I got a UTG L96 a while ago and since then I've slowly been adding upgrades. I recently order a PDI APS2 hop up chamber which has yet to arrive, but as it stands this is my upgrade list:

Madbull 6.03v2 tightbore

purple prom. soft bucking

piston kit

new m170 spring (I think..)

and my own mods are:

teflon tape mod

and I made the barrel spacers stay even.

Does anyone know what this should chrono at? And any idea what the range will be like with .3s or .28s or something maybe a little heavier?

And any suggestions for other upgrades are welcome! Thanks!

My My, what brand M170? I can give you a better answer if I know the brand.

What will the range be like....well range is less dependent on fps than a quality hop up and bucking but with the Stock prommy purple bucking....using 0.30g you should get 250feet of Range for sure... maybe 280 feet.

Effective range though....I say 200 for sure, if you fine tune your compression and bucking/nub combo I say....230ish feet of effective range I think....What kind of Nub are you using?

I understand that fps doesnt factor too much into range, but I'm just wondering for safety purposes.

Around 230 or 250 is what I was hoping for with range.

The m170 spring is leapers brand.

As for what nub.. I'm not even sure exactly what that is.. care to explain? :)

I understand that fps doesnt factor too much into range, but I'm just wondering for safety purposes.

Around 230 or 250 is what I was hoping for with range.

The m170 spring is leapers brand.

As for what nub.. I'm not even sure exactly what that is.. care to explain? :)

I am not totally sure but the spring by itself should be giving you around 550 fps with 0.20g, but don't quote me.

What kind of nub, well since you are using an L96 I can help you to an extent as I have worked with them before but AEGs are my specialty and I am not up to date on all the sniper norms.

ANYWAYS..... :). You have your bucking, which is basically like a rubber condom that fits around the barrel. A hop up unit goes around the bucking/barrel and a nub is a small cylindrical piece sometimes plastic sometimes rubber sometimes it may not even be a cylinder, that has an arm that pushes this Nub into your bucking which makes it protrude into your barrel. When a bb passes through it hits the nub giving it a backspin allowing for greater range.

A few years ago I had a project L96 shooting around 550fps. I used a Prometheus Purple Bucking and SCS-Shredders Concave Spacer (Nub that helps center a bb) and using Madbull 0.43g I was able to get my groupings at 200 feet to be around 1-2inches of great consistancy.

Though those bbs are very heavy and you need a VERY good hop up for more FPS to fully utilize them. If I were you I would either use 0.36g or 0.40g.

The 0.36g is usually a Mint Green and the 0.40g is usually a Tan. I find the Tan a bit easier to track than the Mint Green.

ALTHOUGH be warned...using a heavy bb allows you to be more immune to wind and brush as well as maintain your kinetic energy so that you can take longer shots....almost all the heavy weight bb brands out there are not of good quality...Madbull/King arms/AirsoftGI/Javelin/Guarder/ etc.... are not of the best quality....which is unfortunate. Their issues reside in their external consisstancy of diameter (the more consistent diameter is, the more each shot will be similar), they tend to have non-centered air pockets which will result in occasional fliers (bbs going randomly off target), and they tend to leave an annoying residue on the bucking after around 100-200 shots; which drastically decreases your effective range and regular range.

However, as a bolt action user, you shouldn't really be using more than 100 shots anyways, so I would go ahead and buy them as they are around 20$ for 2000rds which is pretty cheap for heavy weights.

There are some good heavy weights but the issues with them.... BB Bastrd is a good brand of colored heavy weights but they are in Canada and heavy insane shipping prices.

Goldenball 0.36g, 0.40g are probably one of the best heavy weight brands out there. Goldenball is a bearing making company so, naturally, most of their bbs are fairly close to being perfect as far as an airsoft bb goes. However they are covered in powder, so once washed, their true potential is attained. Here is their flaw...they only offer boths weights in BLACK....so.....its pretty hard to track black bbs which makes it very bad if your scope is even a little off or there is a wind because you cannot compensate for it.

If you played in the woods with little to no wind, and your gun was perfectly sighted in for these black bbs I would use them then.

There is one last chance for a heavy bb weight of 0.36g++......Bioval 0.40g TAN are excellent bbs IMHO. I use them in most of my heavy weight setups, their flaw is that they are 12$ for 500rds whereas say the Madbull tan are around 20$ for 2000rds.

Its up to you to weight which is worth it especially since you are bolt action user and do not shoot many rounds.

One of THE most important things is to remember this if you are engaging targets at long range: Quality > Weight when it comes down to bbs.

That said, you could stick with using the 0.30g class of bb as they are the "most perfect" heavy weight bb you can get. Bioval 0.30g is my bb of choice for this weight and you WON'T go wrong with them and you get quite a few rounds for the price.

Back on the topic of the nub....

Here is what it looks like by a bb:

SCS Nub with BB

And here is what it looks like when its all setup up/what its supposed to do:

SCSConceptEdited.jpg

Soccer, quick question for you, on a l96 clone when attaching the outer barrel to the receiver do you have any tricks or tips on making sure the hop is perfectly top dead center? Even a slight deviation seems to give the bb some significant sidespin and a trial and error is really no way to tune. Thanks

Soccer, quick question for you, on a l96 clone when attaching the outer barrel to the receiver do you have any tricks or tips on making sure the hop is perfectly top dead center? Even a slight deviation seems to give the bb some significant sidespin and a trial and error is really no way to tune. Thanks

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't.

I bought a PDI hop up chamber and never had that issue at all. PDI barrel and spacers as well.

I never ran into issues with what you mentioned but I imagine it may be a problem that others have had as well.

If you post in the "Sniper Rifle" Section I am sure they can help you

Sorry, I am just not up to date on Bolt Action norms anymore. :(

Edited by soccer77