EDI 1st

Proper Way to Label the Targets

I just can't stand people who fails to provide necessary info when testing the accuracy/range of their guns anymore......

They ALWAYS miss out something and when you ask them, they just tell you to figure it out yourself.....

This....is the proper way to label EACH targets before and after you shoot.

If shooting out door, make sure you record and post any natural elements that will affect the shooting like wind when posting up your result.

You don't have to say like exactly 17mph wind. Just state the fact whether there was weak/mild/strong wind and so on.

Things to label before shooting:

FPS/MPS/Energy

Distance in feet or meters

Gun

Brand/weight of BBs. Make sure that you mentioned that you picked the BBs if you have picked the BBs.

Number of shot that you are going to shoot

Any special mods or features, comparisons. For EX: Flat-hop, TK Twist Barrel, Falcon Rifling Barrel and so on.

You can also include name and date.

If shooting with the same setup for multiple rounds, make sure you label the rounds.

After shooting:

Number of targets hit.

Mark the hits by circling them with a pen or stickers.

Scoring if that applies. Center being the most points per shot, outside = 0.

Measure and write down the CTC (Longest distance between any of the hits)

And here's a good example of what your targets should look like after you finish shooting.

xccZN.jpg

Edited by EDI 1st

I just can't stand people who fails to provide necessary info when testing the accuracy/range of their guns anymore......

They ALWAYS miss out something and when you ask them, they just tell you to figure it out yourself.....

This....is the proper way to label EACH targets before and after you shoot.

If shooting out door, make sure you record and post any natural elements that will affect the shooting like wind when posting up your result.

You don't have to say like exactly 17mph wind. Just state the fact whether there was weak/mild/strong wind and so on.

Things to label before shooting:

FPS/MPS/Energy

Distance in feet or meters

Gun

Brand/weight of BBs. Make sure that you mentioned that you picked the BBs if you have picked the BBs.

Number of shot that you are going to shoot

Any special mods or features, comparisons. For EX: Flat-hop, TK Twist Barrel, Falcon Rifling Barrel and so on.

You can also include name and date.

If shooting with the same setup for multiple rounds, make sure you label the rounds.

After shooting:

Number of targets hit.

Mark the hits by circling them with a pen or stickers.

Scoring if that applies. Center being the most points per shot, outside = 0.

Measure and write down the CTC (Longest distance between any of the hits)

And here's a good example of what your targets should look like after you finish shooting.

xccZN.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be doing some testing in the next couple of months and I needed to know how to label my targets. What is picking the bb's by the way? Oh and can you point me to a good review of the Falcon Rifling Barrel. I first saw it on one of your posts and I am very interested to see how it stacks up with the twist.

Oh another thing to add to the list of parameters to add to your list is standing, kneeling, prone, bench rest shooting. If you want to know how well you are shooting you might use one of the first three and if you want to know the capabilities of the gun you would use a bench rest.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be doing some testing in the next couple of months and I needed to know how to label my targets. What is picking the bb's by the way? Oh and can you point me to a good review of the Falcon Rifling Barrel. I first saw it on one of your posts and I am very interested to see how it stacks up with the twist.

Oh another thing to add to the list of parameters to add to your list is standing, kneeling, prone, bench rest shooting. If you want to know how well you are shooting you might use one of the first three and if you want to know the capabilities of the gun you would use a bench rest.

Picking BB is like selecting sizes and weigh.

For ex, in one bag of .30g BBs, there might be .296g~.304g.

And size goes the same.

It's for consistency.

I never end up buying the Falcon Rifling Barrel Since I went over the budget on the SR-25. :(

But I'll get it as soon I have extra money to spend again.

And yes, adding shooting position will be needed too, thanks for the catch.

Do people actually take out their micrometer and buy a scale with that accuracy for this purpose? if you're testing some new theory in a scientific approach I would say that's a nice important part, but for regular targeting it seems a bit much.

If you want to get it closer to real steel precision long range shooting, other things like humidity, barometric pressure, elevation, temperature, all play a role in consistency(day to day), if you're going to bother with specific bb weight you might as well document your environment as well.

What was the distance for your target? I couldn't find it on this small iPad screen. Nvm I see 30m

Edited by Karr

Do people actually take out their micrometer and buy a scale with that accuracy for this purpose? if you're testing some new theory in a scientific approach I would say that's a nice important part, but for regular targeting it seems a bit much.

If you want to get it closer to real steel precision long range shooting, other things like humidity, barometric pressure, elevation, temperature, all play a role in consistency(day to day), if you're going to bother with specific bb weight you might as well document your environment as well.

What was the distance for your target? I couldn't find it on this small iPad screen. Nvm I see 30m

For precision shooting, people do, as CTC (grouping) is the most important part.

"If shooting out door, make sure you record and post any natural elements that will affect the shooting like wind when posting up your result."

It's always good to have as much information when you're doing something technical like a review or such particularly on meteorological data for shooting. But sad to say, the trend for many reviews written now is for the shooter to empty a hicap at a tree, say "yesssiree that's a straight shooter right there" and be done with it. Over here people shoot at coconuts like their diameter was a standard unit.

I just say if you're criticizing others on their target labeling(indirectly) and apparently the focus is prrecision, why not do it right and actually record the enviormental influences(yes wind is a no brainer)? I mean elevation in airsoft essentially effects the volume of air(specifically the density) and as such lower fps may result. A hot day with a low bar reading can turn a sea level shot into the atmosphere of 2-3k ft elevation. I imagine thinner air could also play a crucial part I determining the effectiveness of a specific hop up as the bb would néed more spin to grab the same amount of air. I used to play at around 11k feet, though I did not really focus on performance in those days.

I would have to argue that Ctc is not the most important part, esily second to data. Ctc one day gives you no information a month later if you have no data.

And if we are testing the guns limits more and more then its time to eliminate the human factor(the biggest cause of inconsistency). A shooting vice would suffice in a pinch.

In all honestly I am not buying into airsoft and precision shooting used together. I understand the the importance of accuracy, but the inherent downsides of a spherical projectiles is just a lot too overcome. I mean any decent shooter with a decent 22 can get a one inch group a 100 yards on a benchrest, and that distance is just ludicrous in airsoft (for that kind of precision).

I just say if you're criticizing others on their target labeling(indirectly) and apparently the focus is prrecision, why not do it right and actually record the enviormental influences(yes wind is a no brainer)? I mean elevation in airsoft essentially effects the volume of air(specifically the density) and as such lower fps may result. A hot day with a low bar reading can turn a sea level shot into the atmosphere of 2-3k ft elevation. I imagine thinner air could also play a crucial part I determining the effectiveness of a specific hop up as the bb would néed more spin to grab the same amount of air. I used to play at around 11k feet, though I did not really focus on performance in those days.

I would have to argue that Ctc is not the most important part, esily second to data. Ctc one day gives you no information a month later if you have no data.

And if we are testing the guns limits more and more then its time to eliminate the human factor(the biggest cause of inconsistency). A shooting vice would suffice in a pinch.

In all honestly I am not buying into airsoft and precision shooting used together. I understand the the importance of accuracy, but the inherent downsides of a spherical projectiles is just a lot too overcome. I mean any decent shooter with a decent 22 can get a one inch group a 100 yards on a benchrest, and that distance is just ludicrous in airsoft (for that kind of precision).

Good points in all but disagree with the conclusion. I think that one of the big reasons why we don't have better performance (accuracy and range) with airsoft guns is because the industry doesn't focus on making the accuracy or range of the guns a priority. I think if reviewers and regular airsofters make it a habit of precision shooting with their guns the industry will reply with more accurate shooting replicas. It is amazing how fast the industry will adapt to the desires on the market at present. I remember in 2006 it was pretty standard to have an outdoor gun shooting around 330-350, but right around that time people had the idea that more fps meant a better gun then magically the next year all the outdoor starter guns came shooting 400 out of the box.

No an airsoft gun will never be as accurate as a .22 but the farther we push this sport to look at itself seriously and technically IMO the better performing the guns will get. I don't know if the regular layman airsofter should be recording sniper precision variables (humidity, temp, barometric pressure, altitude, ect.) but I think that the more serious airsoft enthusiasts should think about it and the industry definitely should be testing their guns with this kind of attention to detail.

Why not think about the fact that this is airsoft not RS?

CTC us not the most important part?

Dude....do you even know precision shooting?

For real....just...get out....

And read through the whole thing before you post....cause clearly...you didn't.

Lol ask some competation shooters if Ctc is the most important thing. In a single event, yes; but when improving a gun, a shooter, an ammo, or anything, data is still the most important thing whether it be internalized or logged. Why do I know? Because I have been shooting an anshutz .22 for the last 12 Years "precision" shooting for the last 8 once my dad saw I was picking up bad form.

The .22 world is a lot like the airsoft world. A lot of the major ballistic advancements are not applicable to .22s and aside from very expensive ammunition the shooter is at the mercy of the manufacturer as the plinker is a far more common use for the .22. With this gun and my savage mkII both I can achieve 1moa out to 200 yeards with some green label(off the shelf decent ammo). this is a difficult feat with a .22 and I don't pretend to do it every time, but with recording data each outing I can generally see where I went wrong if my groups afe gigantic.

Edit: for some of these variables a good place to check is with the local dragstrip. If it is a good one they will have variables like barometric pressure for you as they play a large role on engines.

Edited by Karr

Um..again...if you can read...

This is airsoft....

and for everything that you do, you do it for the CTC.....

So if it's not the most important, then why even adjust the gun and the sight?

Might as well just blind fire it down the range.

And from what you are saying, CTC is not a data?

FYI, from a scientific stand point, everything that you record = data.

What you are doing is just excessive.

I'm not saying those won't effect the performance of the gun/BB.

I'm saying it's just way too excessive and most people won't really care about it.

Not to mention, how many people here actually have the tools to measure and record those data?

BTW, have you even ever done any airsoft precision shooting?

Or even own a precision rifle?

I highly doubt it.

Read the title, "Proper Way"

Not extreme, excessive way.

and FYI, Madbull V2 barrels are all over the place.

If you can't find them, you better go check with your internet provider....

Edited by EDI 1st

You're jumping at other people, albiet through an indirect post, about the proper way this and precision that, and get all defensive when someone actually adds to your list.

I guess thats the flaw with airsoft, too many kids with a little knowledge thinking they have it all.

You're jumping at other people, albiet through an indirect post, about the proper way this and precision that, and get all defensive when someone actually adds to your list.

I guess thats the flaw with airsoft, too many kids with a little knowledge thinking they have it all.

Um...not really...

Grady and Ronin added some very usable info/data.

Unlike somethings that'll require some tools that probably less than 1% of people have.

Still, I can't figure out how in the world you couldn't find the Madbull barrels.

More like "adults" think they know everything and have the right to correct what they called "kids".

For real, you are not helping here....

You want to add something to the list, I'd love to see that, but post something that is "practical".

If you know the word....

Edited by EDI 1st

I was referring to what I thought was 509mm 6.01 when he had just received a 6.03. Yes a simple mistake that is so relevant here.

Edited by Karr

Implying double posting + calling people with actual knowledge and experience in airsoft precision shooting a "kid" is relevant....

Again....if you can NOT post or suggest anything that is practical, then might as well not posting at all.

You are MORE than welcomed to post any suggestions as long as they are practical.

Otherwise you are just like a kid asking if you can make an airsoft gun to shoot 3000fps.

Common mistake?

Madbull doesn't even make V2 6.01 barrels.

Edited by EDI 1st

Never said common, and I sorry my internet lags out at times and I double post, to the stockades it is. And no, as I said in other posts(obviously not here) I am getting back into airsoft after a very long time off(try 10 years), so I don't know every catalog for the different manufacturers.

I'm going to let the new found testosterone settle in here.

To other readers, sorry I got sucked in. I am just too used to calling people on their crap, I will try to tone it down as this mindless banter doesn't help anyone.

Never said common, and I sorry my internet lags out at times and I double post, to the stockades it is. And no, as I said in other posts(obviously not here) I am getting back into airsoft after a very long time off(try 10 years), so I don't know every catalog for the different manufacturers.

I'm going to let the new found testosterone settle in here.

To other readers, sorry I got sucked in. I am just too used to calling people on their crap, I will try to tone it down as this mindless banter doesn't help anyone.

So..um..

What's the point of trying to set someone "right" when you haven't even airsoft for the past 10 years?

Besides....you had an MP5 not an SR.

applying practical knowledge to an alternative application.

and my mp5k was my first gun lol, not my only one.

Might as well post a pic of your SR up here then

Cause honestly....CTC is what everyone is pushing for in precision shooting....

Edited by EDI 1st