Sign in to follow this  

Alright....I've been working on a member of this forum's M4 for the past couple of days, and it is very stably running 400fps <AT> 35 rps.

It is a stock E1/JG (externally). After having to rewire, having the motor magically change polarities, and a few other things, the (plastic) housing for the screws to secure the motor plate gave up and stripped.

What should I do now? I was thinking a light dose of super glue and some electric tape.....but I'm not really sure. Buying another grip is out of the question (for now at least).

I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks,

Major9

Edited by major9

this has happened to me before and it sux. I stripped out the threads for the longer motor plate screw and what I did was just screwed in the smaller screw and very tightly electrical taped the other end, it works but it's definitely a temporary solution because after a few days the electrical tape will begin to stretch and you'll have to re tape it. After I found this out I got a wood-type screw that was just a bit bigger than the motor plate screw and forced it into my grip making new threads. It holds good but I don't know how many times it will survive being taken out for gun maintenance.

this has happened to me before and it sux. I stripped out the threads for the longer motor plate screw and what I did was just screwed in the smaller screw and very tightly electrical taped the other end, it works but it's definitely a temporary solution because after a few days the electrical tape will begin to stretch and you'll have to re tape it. After I found this out I got a wood-type screw that was just a bit bigger than the motor plate screw and forced it into my grip making new threads. It holds good but I don't know how many times it will survive being taken out for gun maintenance.

Thats exactly what happened to mine. So far it is holding fine with some superglue and electric tape....hard to say.

I understand that it is ' out of the question '

but if the user wishes to just up and get a new pistol grip"

G&P M16/M4 Pistol Grip with Heat Sink

I got this for my SR25 since the TM grip was being a pain with screw placement and the G&P Sniper Grip did not push the motor up far enough.

It was only 9$ and works and fits beautifully.

For the sake of the argument...try using larger screws as mentioned before :)

When you strip a screw in a hole, one of the best methods to get teh screw to secure again is to put some form of solid material into the hole to "share" the space with the screw. This will give the screw something to grab onto and push it into a wall helping it grab plastic.

Whenever I have stripped screws around the house I use bits of trees. Try going outside and finding a very thin twig to fit into the hole. Twigs from a shrub or bush work as well. Strip all of the bark off of it until all you have is the core of the branch/twig. Cut a few pieces to the right height of the hole. Depending on how thick of a twig you use, you will only need to use one or two pieces to "shim" the screw in. It works pretty well, but keep in mind once the branch dries out it will need to be replaced if they screws are ever taken out again.

put a plastic epoxy into the holes, then insert your screws without the heatsink. and let the epoxy harden. then screw out your screws. This will hold long enough for you to grab a magpul MOE grip.

sorry for jacking your thread, but are magpul MOE grips really worth the money? What type of screws hold in the heatsink/back plate(M3 or the wood threaded screws). Also is there a lot of room for wires?

If you want a really good solution that wont strip out again, try jamming in and gluing a rivet nut to replace the threading(if there is enough room for it).

sorry for jacking your thread, but are magpul MOE grips really worth the money? What type of screws hold in the heatsink/back plate(M3 or the wood threaded screws). Also is there a lot of room for wires?

If you want a really good solution that wont strip out again, try jamming in and gluing a rivet nut to replace the threading(if there is enough room for it).

yes I love my magpul grip, although it can get hot and stay hot... and I had to shave a bit with a knife to get the heatsink to slide freely into the grip. it takes metric hex fine-threaded screws that are easily obtained at your hardware store. It has plenty of room for wiring, and it has something similar to rivet nuts (which reverts back to the thread topic)!