Sign in to follow this  
LazyLama

The most expensive build

I really don't think he was asking that..... Definately a DMR as you have much more externals to deal with as well as the internals.

I really don't think he was asking that..... Definately a DMR as you have much more externals to deal with as well as the internals.

Is the DMR more expensive purely because you can get more expensive externals (because there are more externals that you can add on), or is it more expensive because of the actual internal parts themselves? I don't know if the OP was asking which costs more purely in the actual upgrade parts, or which overall can be more expensive if you deck it out with unnecessary extras. I think it was the former. If you're going to add externals, why not start with some base gun that's going to have expensive externals because they were custom made (like a Candyman build) and just stick whatever internals inside?

I mean, to build a DMR, aren't some of the parts that could be good to use not all that expensive? I mean, you get some RiotSC gears for about $100, then one of the neodymium torque motors can run as little as about $30-35, and some of the "better" pistons aren't all the expensive either (weren't those Azimuth ones like $8-10 a piece when they came out?). Maybe if you spend the extra money for a MOSFET with extra features, that will add a little bit as well. If you started with a good base gun, you're going to have a good enough starting base for the main gearbox components like the main gearbox, bushings, cylinder, etc. I haven't ever really priced out a spring powered bolt action rifle, but the trigger mechanisms can get pretty expensive ($130ish for an m-trigger if you can get one or ~$200 for a zero trigger), and often you'll need to replace everything in the cylinder assembly. For the sake of argument, let's just say the spring, barrel, and bucking will cancel each other out in the comparison.

And, I'd imagine it depends on what level of performance you're looking at, and what a user considers a DMR, because not everyone will agree on exactly what makes a gun a DMR. I mean, even for bolt actions, there's a huge difference in price, I think, to get a spring powered gun shooting 700+fps, but one could buy a $250 gas bolt action rifle that shoots that out of the box on a good day. Or, if you consider 450fps to be it, plenty of stock spring powered rifles can do that for pretty cheap, where gas rifles just have a higher starting price off the bat but could also be tuned to do that as well. And, does the cost include upkeep? Don't high powered bolt action rifles need their springs replaced more frequently (I.e. total number of rounds fired) than an electric counterpart?

I would just say that it depends, since both can probably reach a point where they are just plain expensive, and it will just come down to whether you want the semi-auto capabilities of a DMR, or the looks/functionality of the bolt action.

In order to do it correctly and reliably the DMR will need pretty much all internals replaced. The accuracy bits will all need to be upgraded, and quality patrts are expensive.. There is also the cost of the base gun. In most cases quality AEG's are on the pricey side of things. Though, since you are changing everything, you can save a penny by buying inexpensive AEG.

In my experience.. If you dunp $500 into a Bolt action, if dione correctly, and equally performing DMR is going to be at least $200 more to build.

Now this is a play on avg's, because you can indeed accomplish quality builds in both platforms without breaking the bank.

But again, is the OP asking for the total price, or just the price of upgrades? Bolt action rifles can just as easily start with a cheap base gun (JG BAR10) or with an expensive base gun (some of the Ares lineup). And, for $500 being dumped into a bolt action, it depends what parts you're upgrading, right? I mean, $500 can go a very short way with some of the bolt action upgrades. A new trigger mechanism can run you $160-$200, a receiver $130, and a hop up chamber $125, and you haven't even changed the velocity. Toss all those into a new TM VSR-10, and you're already over $700 (about $450 if it being just upgrades).

In my opinion, it's too much of a generalization to say that one will be more expensive than the other without more information, particularly whether the base gun cost is included (and by the wording, it seems like it wouldn't be) and what level of performance is required. If what I've read is true, you could just get a RealSword SVD, toss a new spring, bucking, and barrel in (maybe like $45 in upgrades), and be hitting well over 350ft. How much would it cost to get a bolt action shooting that far? Maybe very little if you tweak your bolt action with G-hop and get it shooting over 250ft with a sub-1J rifle like they've done over in Japan...

If you had to compare them...

I would say they would be about even.

Bolt action parts can be quite pricey to get them up to a high standard.

DMRs can be quite cheap if you go the clone route as newer techs are today. Using clone parts like SHS/JG/Element/ etc....and doing all the DIY mods to get fantastic results.

I love building DMRs, and my favorite one, the one in my sig, was not cheap by any means. The external was pricey because the gun was discontinued and I bought high grade internals as well as good externals doesn't deserve the clone internals :) for this project anyways. It cost me a pretty penny.....

If you buy the high end parts they should come out somewhat even, though back in my mind somewhere, I still tell myself that DMRs are more expensive because you need to keep on them to maintain their high fps/performance (I count time as $$ as well). They are like a child and will throw a tantrum for any small reason that something goes wrong...

It all depends on the quality and brand of the parts u look to purchase.

In the end a quality DMR is going to be more expensive than a bolt-action rifle.

I personally like the DMR role way more than a Sniper but that all comes down to personal preference.

Now the best build is a WA based GBB DMR, cant get more BA than that :)

It all depends on the quality and brand of the parts u look to purchase.

In the end a quality DMR is going to be more expensive than a bolt-action rifle.

I personally like the DMR role way more than a Sniper but that all comes down to personal preference.

Now the best build is a WA based GBB DMR, cant get more BA than that :)

Yup, it depends on the detail requrements.