Sign in to follow this  
andrewmg

Do people truly intentionally not call their hits?

It seems like everyone has had a terrible experience playing airsoft when they shoot someone (often a beginner ) multiple times and they fail to call their hits. After not calling their hit they bounce right back light you up. Sometimes they will even say "ouch!" after getting hit and still not call it. It does seem like they are cheaters and what they do is wrong and is completely against the rules and honor system of airsoft, but people also never look at things in their perspective. They just instantly dislike them and claim they are evil, obnoxious people. Now don't get me wrong, it does make me mad when people ignore hits but I will try to remind myself of the circumstances (it was through a bush, it was in a heavily padded area ect.)

It seems like if you were a Newbie and it's been your first time or so playing, you would put all your focus on killing, and completely ignore the seemingly obvious rule of calling your hits. You may also be afraid, and wear many many layers of clothing and almost become dazed by the thought of a 25 rps gun hitting you, and when you finally get hit you just can't seem to realize it and you run off or shoot back in defense. I think that people don't call their hits, then answer back with unreasonable trigger control and light you up is out of fear, or stupidity. Some people might intentionally cheat, but most won't. So I think instead of chewing these people out, building up their confidence and explaining to them how this game should work and taking apart their fear would make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Or I am just crazy and stupid.

Also, I am not a cheater or a person like I described above.

I think people on both sides of the issue need to handle it maturely. Its hard to be 100% certain that you've hit someone, especially in an outdoor field. It helps to have a talk about the rules before every game, making it clear to new players that it is an honor system, there's no shame in getting hit but there is shame in cheating, etc.

It seems to work at the field I play at...

I think a scope is good for outdoor games so you can tell if you hit them. I've always thought the guy I was dumping rounds at would be cheating until I was that guy, but the shots were simply not hitting my head, just going around it in every direction.

I don't know where you play but where I play its not the beginners that don't call their hits, or atleast not the little newbie 11 kid that you can feel sorry for like your describing. Where Ive seen cheaters that don't call hits it is 1 of 3 people. 1. The "elitists" who have too high of an ego to be taken out by someone lesser than them. 2. The guys who are in too much of a rivalry and refuse to let the other team win even though its just a game. or 3. the 20-22 year old new guys who roll in thinking theyre hot :pain:, talk down to everyone, and don't call their hits simply because they have a gerneral disregard for rules and airsoft.

So those guys, no I don't sympathies for.

I think a scope is good for outdoor games so you can tell if you hit them. I've always thought the guy I was dumping rounds at would be cheating until I was that guy, but the shots were simply not hitting my head, just going around it in every direction.

exactly the same thoughts I had. a few times I would engage a target or a group of them, and would see the bbs midflight but disappear afterwards. I always assumed I hit ALL the targets, so when only one guy calls his hits, I felt cheated. but over the course of more playing, I realized even my good sense of vision fails me because bbs are often misguided by wind, gravity and any other medium (say a bush or netting) and thus never quite make it to the intended target.

in the end, all I can say is, im sure most players don't cheat. teach them more about the game, and let them mature correctly, and youll have a community that hopefully molds into the ideals that airsoft is supposed to bring out in its participants: friendly competition, honesty (to oneself and others as well), and having a great time learning about an ever growing hobby.

sorry for minirant.

I think a lot of people always say "There's no way you didn't get hit" and they assume the person had to get hit. Well, have you ever been in a situation when there were BB's flying around you everywhere and you somehow didn't get hit?

I don't think most people cheat on purpose, but of course there are always those that do.

Some people legitimately don't feel some hits, other people are just jerks.

Regardless, if you call someone's hit for them (YOU'RE HIT!), then you are just as bad as they are. We'll toss people off the field for both. Just like in real life, if the target doesn't go down, shoot it again. Maybe they're on PCP.

Sometimes it is that your target is just slightly out of range. It looks like your bbs are headed straight for the person but they are dropping 10 feet before they get there.

I have also had it where after a barrage of bbs going by, I have to do a mental recap for a few seconds to determine if I got hit or not. People may not do this examination so thoroughly.

This past week someone shot at me and I was sure I didn't get hit. I was running and full of adrenaline. I was exchanging fire back at them when I realized that my thigh had a little stinging spot. I then got up and called myself out.

Some people legitimately don't feel some hits, other people are just jerks.

Regardless, if you call someone's hit for them (YOU'RE HIT!), then you are just as bad as they are. We'll toss people off the field for both. Just like in real life, if the target doesn't go down, shoot it again. Maybe they're on PCP.

I agree with this. There's the occasional time where they don't feel it and don't call out. If I'm the shooter, I think of it this way, not every hit in real life kills somebody. If you're unsure, shoot again. I'm in no way a cheater and run around on the other end of it saying that "it wouldn't have killed me", but that's how I feel as the shooter.

PP

I think people on both sides of the issue need to handle it maturely. Its hard to be 100% certain that you've hit someone, especially in an outdoor field. It helps to have a talk about the rules before every game, making it clear to new players that it is an honor system, there's no shame in getting hit but there is shame in cheating, etc.

It seems to work at the field I play at...

Completely unrelated, but I love the Anchorman reference in your sig lol

Yes people do not call their hits intentionally. I've had a kid on my team do it tuesday night. I told him he was out and he walked back to spawn.

On the other side of that I had an incident where I was told by a ref I did not call a hit.

I've always been a very honest player but with all the adrenaline going I honestly did not feel the hit.

Its really a 2 way street depending on the honesty of the player.

I remember one time, I was trying to flank the OpFor and one of their DMR's spotted me and started firing at me. He called my position and someone put cover on me forcing me down into cover while he flanked. I saw the DMR move to a spot where he could see me and I could see him but I knew he was out of range for my gun so I waited to get hit since there was nowhere else to move. However, apparently he too was out of range. His BBs were falling short by about 5 feet so I didn't call myself out because well, he wasn't hitting me. He yelled out to me that I was out even though I technically wasn't. He even switched his DMR to full auto regardless of field rules to make me call the hit out of pain. I called myself out anyways because I was 1) in a very bad tactical situation and 2) didn't want to deal with this guy anymore.

Lesson? Be sure you're hitting the person before you claim they're out or start getting mad. If they are hit and aren't calling it, tell an admin. I let the full auto slide since I kind of understood his frustration.

Edited by DannyRL

If they were hit and didn't call it, um, yes.

I mean, there really isn't any solid reasons for you to not call it, unless you can't talk....

Even then, red rag.

Last game I went to, me and a teammate rushed a base right after the game resumed after lunch break. We ended up lying down about 15 or 20 feet outside of the base and waited for the enemy team to move up on it. As about 4 guys moved into the base, we lit them up (From 20 feet away) and I can see my stream of nailing the lead guy in the plate carrier. He didn't call it. None of the guys called any of their hits and they ended up hitting me and my teammate, which we both called instantly. It's people like that, who refuse to call their hits because they were surprised, or they don't know exactly where the bbs are coming from, that really piss me off.

I think there's two types of people as far as not calling hits,you have someone who may truly not feel a hit because of to much gear etc.Example:You're at your guns max range,you hit your target in an inconspicuous spot,like if crouch,the crease that bunches up in your pants,or it could hit them in their vest somewhere where they genuinely can't feel.Then,you have the people who are just straight up ignorant.Example:You're well within your guns max range,you hit them with a head-shot,see them flinch from the hit,and they don't call a hit.Possibly even you shoot again,same thing as before.If that happens,I agree with EDI.shoot them until they call there hit.

If you have a high ROF aeg, and you know they are truly cheating, then have a little fun with it. :a-laugh:

One of my awsomest kills ever was a friend of mine not calling his hits, I finaly just kept shooting him until he couldn't take the pain anymore and called out. Now if you just made the shot of a lifetime with a bolt-action sniper rifle than cheating is really frustrating. :a-censored: But if you just shot someone 50 ft away, and you have an aeg, then it can be quite entertaining to light them up. :a-cheesy:

Edited by Colt^

Last game I went to, me and a teammate rushed a base right after the game resumed after lunch break. We ended up lying down about 15 or 20 feet outside of the base and waited for the enemy team to move up on it. As about 4 guys moved into the base, we lit them up (From 20 feet away) and I can see my stream of nailing the lead guy in the plate carrier. He didn't call it. None of the guys called any of their hits and they ended up hitting me and my teammate, which we both called instantly. It's people like that, who refuse to call their hits because they were surprised, or they don't know exactly where the bbs are coming from, that really piss me off.

They are definetly worthy to be called jerks, but I'd still have to say a slight amount of their reaction came from fear. Because like you said, they didn't know where the bbs were coming from

I have had plenty of teammates who stood there taking shots to the legs or chest, and I've had to tell them they were hit. Sometimes, it was them legitimately not hearing/feeling the BB (such as having a GBBR and a thick PC with fake plates) and sometimes it was a "cheater".

I would never place cheaters into a certain age range because it isn't the age that makes a cheater, it is the individual's personality.

However, it DOES seem like younger players will challenge someone calling them out sooner than an older playing getting called out. For instance, we had a younger player who has played in many games on our team, and about 4 of us saw him get lit up standing in a path then move to the side behind a tree and shoot back. We calmly told him he was out, thinking maybe he didn't see/feel/hear them (lol) and he literally told us to "(fornicate ourselves)". Meanwhile the older players I have seen get called out for cheating seem to just accept that they got caught.

It's weird, but seen often.

Luckily, most of the people I play with are really good about their hit calling and won't get offended if they get called out WHEN given good reason! We play in the woods, and most of the materials being worn sound sooooo much different than trees/plywood/leaves, etc. THWAP/TING=My two favorite airsoft sounds.

PS- I basically have gear head to toe, and only once has someone told me I got hit without me knowing: a teammate saw a BB hit the back of my boot while I was running. There may have been other times I got hit and didn't know, but a.) I didn't know, b.) Nobody told me I got hit. I see absolutely no problem with suggesting someone was hit and giving a reason, but it's no reason to get angry about it if they don't call the hit, just keep shooting lol.

The most honest time at an airsoft field is in the first couple of games, or the first 30min of the day.

Newbies are calling hits because they think thats the way it is supposed to work (and it is). Then some experienced players start to cheat by blatantly not calling. Newbies begin to not call. Then guys who normaly are honest, began to cheat as well---"if he aint calling out...I aint either." that mentality starts to spread like a plauge. By the end of the day, it a holy mess--nobodys calling, lots of yelling, ect...

Building guns to hurt people is wrong as well. Shooting for the face and neck is the wrong answer. Crying to the refs or field owner makes you look like a whiner. Yelling at the idiots to "Call your hit!!!" makes you sound like a toolbag also.

What can you do? Its tough.

I think its a legitimate "no-feel-um" far more often than people believe. Remember that adrenaline will numb you to some extent.

Example: I charged a guy shooting something like 400 with .25s and got hit 4 times from about 7 feet. I didn't feel it till later (still have scars), and I called my self out because I heard and saw the hits. If I had been hit somewhere that I did not see, I would likely never have known I was hit.

A few great responses up above this..

There is no way to tell why anyone does not call their hits, but we can all be certain that it happens often enough to know that it is intentional on occassion. All we can do as players is try and deal with it as best we can and hope our levels of integrity brush off on these types of players. You can identify and asks many players why they have done uit and get a completely different reason from all of them. There is no set scenerio for why it occurs.

I deciced a long time ago that letting it get me upset was a waste of time and energy. I have more fun letting them do it and shooting them some more. So I deal with as best I can.. The reason I am this way is because there is a group of players that disgust me way nmore than cheaters. That group is the "Yellers".. The "CALL YOUR F"N HITS AHOLE" kind of players. These players are the ones I don't want to play with. They are usually adults in my experience, and they have no problem being vulgar to younger players when this is simply a game to enjoy. The 30 or so BB's you wasted on the Zombie Player cost you 10 cents, so what's the big deal.. Shoot them some more and keep it moving. Name calling, and swearing is not going to make anyone call their hits, it is also not going to make the game any better.

Because of my Shoot them until they call it playing style, I trend to build my guns with ROF in mind and med levels of FPS (320-350) on most of my guns. I have figured out a sweet spot for my Hop up Configurations to get very good range and accuracy with those FPS levels. Indoor I run 30+ RPS at 300FPS. don't get me wrong, I am human and it def still gets to me, but not in any way to make me upset.. I usually talk to myself and say "I hit that guy" quikly followed by "Oh Well, shoot some more". Gets me through 99% of these situations..

There is no way to tell why anyone does not call their hits, but we can all be certain that it happens often enough to know that it is intentional on occassion. All we can do as players is try and deal with it as best we can and hope our levels of integrity brush off on these types of players. You can identify and asks many players why they have done uit and get a completely different reason from all of them. There is no set scenerio for why it occurs.

I deciced a long time ago that letting it get me upset was a waste of time and energy. I have more fun letting them do it and shooting them some more. So I deal with as best I can.. The reason I am this way is because there is a group of players that disgust me way nmore than cheaters. That group is the "Yellers".. The "CALL YOUR F"N HITS AHOLE" kind of players. These players are the ones I don't want to play with. They are usually adults in my experience, and they have no problem being vulgar to younger players when this is simply a game to enjoy. The 30 or so BB's you wasted on the Zombie Player cost you 10 cents, so what's the big deal.. Shoot them some more and keep it moving. Name calling, and swearing is not going to make anyone call their hits, it is also not going to make the game any better.

Because of my Shoot them until they call it playing style, I trend to build my guns with ROF in mind and med levels of FPS (320-350) on most of my guns. I have figured out a sweet spot for my Hop up Configurations to get very good range and accuracy with those FPS levels. Indoor I run 30+ RPS at 300FPS. don't get me wrong, I am human and it def still gets to me, but not in any way to make me upset.. I usually talk to myself and say "I hit that guy" quikly followed by "Oh Well, shoot some more". Gets me through 99% of these situations..

I agree with most of what you say (I shoot till hands go up if I don't know you as an honorable player), but the problem is in many situations it is very difficult to just ignore the cheater---a guy that has sprinted out and grabbed an objective while being hit, a guy who is in a very strategic fighting postion and his elimination would allow your side to blow the field open, and worst of all- you shoot a guy who doesnt call, he gets into cover or moves from your LOS, and then kills YOU a few minutes later...makes me furious. One well placed cheater can ruin a game.

Instead of yelling,...if it gets that far... Ill approach the cheating player for a few private words after Im killed, or between games in gear up...Sometimes helps.

Yeah theres a handfull over at SC Village :P Kinda sad really.

Some are reasonable, I.e. adrenaline, too much gear etc where they don't feel it. That's alright.

But yes those players who really don't call their hits bother me. But shooting more doesnt mind me much... more welts for them. Actually I applaud those who can intentionally take another hit on bare skin from my gun...

I just wanted to clear something up: When I "call someone out", I actually just politely ask if they are hit while I am behind cover. Sometimes they ask why and I tell them why I think, and a surprising amount of the time I had hit them and they say that yes they were. If they say no, I say, "Okay! Thank you!" and continue shooting.

Gotta <3 airsoft.

I think its a legitimate "no-feel-um" far more often than people believe. Remember that adrenaline will numb you to some extent.

Example: I charged a guy shooting something like 400 with .25s and got hit 4 times from about 7 feet. I didn't feel it till later (still have scars), and I called my self out because I heard and saw the hits. If I had been hit somewhere that I did not see, I would likely never have known I was hit.

It might be legitimate.

It seems like everyone has had a terrible experience playing airsoft when they shoot someone (often a beginner ) multiple times and they fail to call their hits. After not calling their hit they bounce right back light you up. Sometimes they will even say "ouch!" after getting hit and still not call it. It does seem like they are cheaters and what they do is wrong and is completely against the rules and honor system of airsoft, but people also never look at things in their perspective. They just instantly dislike them and claim they are evil, obnoxious people. Now don't get me wrong, it does make me mad when people ignore hits but I will try to remind myself of the circumstances (it was through a bush, it was in a heavily padded area ect.)

It seems like if you were a Newbie and it's been your first time or so playing, you would put all your focus on killing, and completely ignore the seemingly obvious rule of calling your hits. You may also be afraid, and wear many many layers of clothing and almost become dazed by the thought of a 25 rps gun hitting you, and when you finally get hit you just can't seem to realize it and you run off or shoot back in defense. I think that people don't call their hits, then answer back with unreasonable trigger control and light you up is out of fear, or stupidity. Some people might intentionally cheat, but most won't. So I think instead of chewing these people out, building up their confidence and explaining to them how this game should work and taking apart their fear would make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Or I am just crazy and stupid.

Also, I am not a cheater or a person like I described above.

Cheaters are everywhere although I've heard that they don't usually cheat in Japan. Not a fan of their regulations though.

I sometimes do not call my hits, but I never intentionally cheat. I don't feel or hear some of my hits when I'm running, because I wear a plate carrier with fake plates and a LOT of stuff on it. Adrenaline is also a factor. I rely on refs and other players to let me know when I missed calling a hit. If I ever see, hear myself get hit, I call it.

I find that if I make sure to not compromise my own integrity, then I have fun, even if other players compromise theirs.

P.S. The fields I play at all have a ton of referees, but there is no such thing as having enough referees. Players have to be refs themselves in a sense, and being polite while talking to other players is part of the sport for me.

Edited by fcma172

30 rps CAN solve a lot of problems.

The first match I ever played in I did get a little mad and yelled at them because of my lack of etiquette (I am 100% sure I did hit them though). I now realize that was a mistake of yelling at them.

30 rps CAN solve a lot of problems.

The first match I ever played in I did get a little mad and yelled at them because of my lack of etiquette (I am 100% sure I did hit them though). I now realize that was a mistake of yelling at them.

You think 30 rps is nice.......EVERYONE calls their hits at 60 rps. Most do so just when you point the gun their direction.

hmmm, I don't seem to have a problem with people calling 3.5J hits... Other humerus stories include firing a 30rps gun at people and they say hit even though I was out, and I've got a friend who often gets new guys out by pointing his unloaded gbb and pulling the trigger. 60rps... I may have to try that one day, it may just be a show off gun though, not sure if I'd really use it. I hate the 30rps gun enough, eats ammo so fast...

Mr Folder, sir...could you please reveal your camo and loadout for Dunundistan? I like to give out a big Rick Flair whoop after I light up an enemy Commander.

j/K! Looking forward to the OP.

GAH, What is this? A local?!? lol, if you're really curious, you can find my load out buried in the load outs section of the forum. I think It's still floating around in there somewhere.... Not that you'll ever see me :p