chatreed

What's your pocket knife? What do u suggest to go with?

I've had my old SOG Flash II for 5+ years, It's a fantastic knife, clips easily into my pocket and is functional immediately after drawing. But it was out of work the other day. Now I have to move on to a new one. I've just looked into this Pocket Knife.

Is it nice one to go with? Will I be disappointed? Any other options?

I'm sure there are plenty of other pocket knife peeps out there, what do you carry and why?

Call me old fashioned, but I still carry my Swiss Army knife everywhere. I had it in the boy scouts and it still serves me well. I love how it's extremely versatile compared to just a blade by itself.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/...duct=53301&

That's the one I use, it's the Camper model. Saw instead of a pair of scissors, pretty standard otherwise.

I can highly recommend Reed & Barton spoons for EDC.

OMG hahahahahahaha!!!! That was awesome!

When I first saw the wall of text I was like, "WTF does a pocket knife incite in a person to write so much?"

Then I read the post. Bravo.

I got Black Gerber folding knife with 4in blade, always have it on my person unless going through security. They made some aesthetic changes to my model of knife and as a result I don't like the new line. But my Gerber has always been there and shall remain to be as tool, deterrent, and finally a weapon.

BUT for when sh*t really hits the fan, I go with my axes, yes plural... I've had two of these monsters way before it was "cool" because you saw some guy in MOH maul somebody with an axe.

http://www.gggaz.com/battle-hawk-tactical-tomahawk.html

I've had my old SOG Flash II for 5+ years, It's a fantastic knife, clips easily into my pocket and is functional immediately after drawing. But it was out of work the other day. Now I have to move on to a new one. I've just looked into this Pocket Knife.

I'm sure there are plenty of other pocket knife peeps out there, what do you carry and why?

I love this topic :D

And I think you will be very disappointed if you get that knife.

I've been carrying a Kershaw Chill for the last couple weeks. If you want the best bang for your buck then I highly suggest you take a look at Kershaw's overseas produced stuff. Even though its made in China the quality levels are very nice. Spyderco also has some cool items like the Tenacious if you're into that style

If you want something a bit nicer though take a look into benchmade stuff. It's overpriced most of the time but there are some nice designs. Check out the Griptilian. 70-80 for a 154cm axis lock folder is reasonable imo.

Zero Tolerance has some pretty heavy duty stuff for the price you pay. My next knife will probably be a ZT for that reason. Check out the 350. Assisted flipper design with a Ken Onion bladeshape. For 200+ you could get their 300 series which is MUCH heavier duty

If you like ridiculous bad@$$ fighting knife sorta designs check out Cold Steel. They hype the crap out of their stuff but it's well made and reasonably priced. My friend has the Recon 1 in clip point and that thing can cut.

Lastly, if you have the cash and time to search, look at Emerson stuff. It's a little pricey but the designs are solid and ergonomic.

If you are willing to drop the cash Benchmades are awesome knives. One day I might but its hard to justify that kind of money with this economy we have today. I'm not rollling in dough. I still sometimes use an old Swiss Army like the first poster that responded to this does as well. I got it sometime in the late 80s probably as a kid. Its still just as useful to me today as it was almost 25 years ago. The bottle opener was useless back then, but its a godsend now if you know what mean ;)

I also have a few Gerbers. I really like the Paraframe, I have the smaller and larger one. Its just one blade though. Like the Swiss Army knives I like Leathermens because of their versatility. Having more than just a sharp blade handy at any given time was easier to justify spending good money on something so I bought one. Its practically with me everywhere I go. The Gerbers are self defense tools if required, the Leatherman or Swiss Army is for just being plain handy at times. I still want a Benchmade but I'd be mad if for some reason I got into trouble and a law enforcement officer tried to confiscate it. They are not cheap.

Edited by Salami

Id have to recommend a Kershaw Skyline.

Made in the USA and it has a very nice steel that holds a sharp edge. Lockup on the blade is solid! Its absolutely very strong.

Very lightweight for its size and has an awesome affordable price. check them out on amazon.

It gets you into a high quality knife for a fraction of the price of some of the other models or brands.

I carry this knife all the time for yardwork and when I go fishing and airsofting as well since it has the nice point to do delicate work but gives you enough belly to do some real cutting. Just the feel of the g10 is amazing. Its such a grippy surface and am really impressed with the quality of the texture. Also its a full manual folder. That way you don't have to worry about the wishy washy laws regarding assisted opening knives.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Skyline-Text...9080&sr=8-1

I've had a Swiss Army Cadet II for 3-4 years, before that it was my Great-Uncles... he had for 20+ years. Thing holds an edge like a champ, and is nice and basic.

I also have a plethora of fixed knives, switch blades, lock-blades, folding knives, and multi-tools... but I always carry my Cadet II.

I've got experience with quite a few knives, brief review on some......

Benchmade, VERY VERY sharp, but the one I had was brittle.

BUCK, fairly good quality blade, and is pretty durable.

Kershaw, I love these things, handy, strong, and hold an edge, but a little expensive.

SWISS army, good, but when you get something that does it all, it does it all half-donkied.

Leatherman Multitool, does everything, and does it all well, but a little pricey.

Gerber Multitool, I really could tell almost no difference in the quality of this and leatherman, and it's much cheaper.

My current airsoft knife is a CKRT, I actually really like it, 4 years old and still a great edge, and it was only $35 at SMKW, the world's largest knife store.

Edited by shlunka

Well, since no one has mentioned it, one of the BEST knife brands out there is Blackhawk! My friend who's into tactical stuff got one as a gift and let me tell you, its one of the most solid knives and sharpest I've ever used. And thats saying a lot, since I have owned knives by Buck, Gerber, Swiss Army, and many others. What I carry around though for everyday use, is a Gerber Paraframe with a lengthened serratted edge. It works well, is sharp, durable, strong, and kinda tacticool.

That said, I really have to wonder why this thread is on an airsoft forum...seems a bit weird. I'm assuming this thread is NOT against ASF rules.....

If your just looking for a solid knife. Buy a Spiderco, and have HS5 either sharpen it or treat it with Tungsten Carbide.

I personally love Smith&Wessons. Not amazing quality, but I love how they look more than any other knife.

Or you could buy a sharpener, you can get them for $40 at SMKW.

+1 for the SOG Flash II, I loved that knife when I had it. Sadly it's at the bottom of a river in MA so right now I carry around a SOG Micron II, a sturdy little knife, very easy to carry, and has nothing to get caught on.

Honestly I don't like carrying expensive knives, I don't need my $70-150 knife confiscated for whatever reason. I actually got both my SOG knives used and at a great price too.

Buck knives are great for the price though, but whatever one I had was extremely stiff and hard to open.

I'm what you would call a knife guy I suppose as they have become a big hobby of mine lately. Psychobunny I can tell is too as he hit the nail on the head. I carry a ZT0350, Benchmade Doug Ritter Griptilian, and a Spyderco Para Military 2 in alternation depending on which one is sharpest at the time and whether or not I'm too lazy to sharpen my ZT0350 (my favorite one). I love my expensive knives and have a ZT0550 and a ZT0561 on pre-order, however I must second the lower priced Kershaw recommendation if you want something high value. I actually bought an Oso Sweet not to long ago and let me tell you I was in love with the design. You put S30V or CPM 154 on that and it would never leave my pocket. But as it stands the 8cr13moV blade is very good for the price and takes a great edge very easily. For ease of availability, consistent quality, and excellence in the price-range, go to your local sporting goods or department store and look at whatever Kershaws are available. Just my 2 cents.

Why yes I am a bit obsessed with knives :D

A lot of people seem to like gerber on here. They're not horrible knives but for the price I think Kershaw or Spyderco's budget line is a better choice. Gerber's materials are often some mystery steel and ehhh for the price I could know what I'm getting in my knife and have a better design IMO. The same thing with CRKT. While not bad for the price you pay, it confuses me why they still use lower end materials and steels in their knives when stuff like 8cr13mov is out there. Granted they're getting better but every so often I'll find a cool design but see "aus 4" and be sad.

I did forget Blackhawk! though and those are pretty damn solid too. A lot of the designs are carryovers from the Masters of Defense line and then they have some pretty sick things like the Be-Wharned and Pointman.

I sound like a steel snob now that I look at it. But my biggest thing is how to get the best bang for your buck, and when there are comparable or better options I recommend you search around to get the better deal.

Btw EBHM4 I am so envious of your 561 preorder. The only thing holding me back from the 550 was the lack of a flipper and now it's the 260 price tag... I need a job.

Why yes I am a bit obsessed with knives :D

A lot of people seem to like gerber on here. They're not horrible knives but for the price I think Kershaw or Spyderco's budget line is a better choice. Gerber's materials are often some mystery steel and ehhh for the price I could know what I'm getting in my knife and have a better design IMO. The same thing with CRKT. While not bad for the price you pay, it confuses me why they still use lower end materials and steels in their knives when stuff like 8cr13mov is out there. Granted they're getting better but every so often I'll find a cool design but see "aus 4" and be sad.

I did forget Blackhawk! though and those are pretty damn solid too. A lot of the designs are carryovers from the Masters of Defense line and then they have some pretty sick things like the Be-Wharned and Pointman.

I sound like a steel snob now that I look at it. But my biggest thing is how to get the best bang for your buck, and when there are comparable or better options I recommend you search around to get the better deal.

Btw EBHM4 I am so envious of your 561 preorder. The only thing holding me back from the 550 was the lack of a flipper and now it's the 260 price tag... I need a job.

I'm not a CRKT or Gerber fan either. You look at the CRKT M16 series and the Kershaw Skyline, Chill, or Volt II side by side and you instantly see the better deal. The best thing Gerber makes is their multitools which are actually pretty solid for the price. On the subject of steel snobbery that's the one thing that's kept me from Blackhawk! knives. The pointman costs $70-$75 and comes in AUS8-A? No thanks, I'll go with a Spyderco Endura and get VG10 for $60. Or a Benchmade Griptilian on a site that sells them with discounts for $65-$70 and get an axis lock with 154CM. Just my opinion on the matter though if you like the design of Blackhawk! knives then your opinion matters more than mine. AUS8 isn't a bad steel, just softer than I usually like and needs frequent sharpening.

As for the 561 you know I got that Coyote Brown G10 scale version! I'm so pumped to see how Rick Hinderer translates his legendary XM flippers to production with Kershaw. Have you by chance seen the ZT0777? It won knife of the year at BladeShow while the 056X series won collaboration of the year.

I'm not a CRKT or Gerber fan either. You look at the CRKT M16 series and the Kershaw Skyline, Chill, or Volt II side by side and you instantly see the better deal. The best thing Gerber makes is their multitools which are actually pretty solid for the price. On the subject of steel snobbery that's the one thing that's kept me from Blackhawk! knives. The pointman costs $70-$75 and comes in AUS8-A? No thanks, I'll go with a Spyderco Endura and get VG10 for $60. Or a Benchmade Griptilian on a site that sells them with discounts for $65-$70 and get an axis lock with 154CM. Just my opinion on the matter though if you like the design of Blackhawk! knives then your opinion matters more than mine. AUS8 isn't a bad steel, just softer than I usually like and needs frequent sharpening.

As for the 561 you know I got that Coyote Brown G10 scale version! I'm so pumped to see how Rick Hinderer translates his legendary XM flippers to production with Kershaw. Have you by chance seen the ZT0777? It won knife of the year at BladeShow while the 056X series won collaboration of the year.

I have the m16z in spearpoint actually. Got it for 15 bucks at frys just cause it was so cheap. Honestly it's not bad for that kinda price and their newest ones are using 8cr13mov anyway so that's pretty much aus-8 for a decent design. Came pretty sharp and is actually a little faster than my chill. But I prefer my chill to the m16 anyway cause of the clip, weight, steel, and handle. I have a Gerber multitool too. Suspension I got for 20 bucks. Pretty good deal for everything they give you. And the bladeshape on the knife is a nice wharncliffe. But the mystery steel makes me shrug.

Yeah see I wouldn't mind aus-8 because assuming that they heat treat it right (I hear blackhawk and cold steel both do well) then it's a perfectly fine, serviceable steel. And it's always a trade off between edge retention and ability to resharpen. I have a lot of time on my hands so assuming it's not dulling out everytime I open a package it's fine. Although I would like to get my hands on something ridiculous like M4 to be lazy for a month or so. And blackhawk happens to have the be-wharned which I really want. I think Wharncliffe blades are excellent utility knives.

Nice choice. I would be torn between tan and plain black. I'm sure it'll be really nice. ZT really hasn't made a flop so far so I'm sure it'll be up to quality. And yes I did see the 777. I jizzed my pants and then saw the price tag and proceeded to cry. I'm not sure if it's really a user knife but it sure is purty.

Edited by psychobunny

This thread is full of win.

Seriously. I never knew pocket knives could be so complex with all these numbers and such to describe them lol.

I've never needed a pocket knife so often that I would consider spending $30+ on one, and I don't carry one on me for emergencies so I DEFINITELY can't see spending $50+ on one, but if I were to use it very often I would and if it was either a tool for my job or there was a decent possibility of having to use it in an emergency, then I would snatch up the best I could.

I acutally carry a lighter rather than a knife in my pants every day

but my dad bought me one of these buck knives from cabelas with rubber grips several years ago and I love the knife. its made really well, doesnt slip in your hand, its pretty razor sharp, and ive never once had to sharpen it

pl_29_detail_1.png

I never leave home without a knife.

For a few months now I've been carrying a benchmade 915 triage. By far my favorite knife I've ever owned.

I also own a benchmade mini griptillian, gerber mini paraframe, kershaw northside hunter, sog micrion 2, Stone River NRA knife and a few other cheap ones that aren't worth naming.

89f54b14.jpg

IMG00452-20110311-2232.jpg

My 2 favorites.

1a8c5de1.jpg

I acutally carry a lighter rather than a knife in my pants every day

but my dad bought me one of these buck knives from cabelas with rubber grips several years ago and I love the knife. its made really well, doesnt slip in your hand, its pretty razor sharp, and ive never once had to sharpen it

pl_29_detail_1.png

I just got that knife too actually. So ill vouch for its very nice build quality I and like you said its RAZOR sharp. Only thing is it doesnt have a pocket clip so I have to carry mine in a pouch on my belt. But I don't EDC with it. Usually strctly yard work.

btw Its called a Buck "Alpha Hunter"

This thread is full of win.

Seriously. I never knew pocket knives could be so complex with all these numbers and such to describe them lol.

I've never needed a pocket knife so often that I would consider spending $30+ on one, and I don't carry one on me for emergencies so I DEFINITELY can't see spending $50+ on one, but if I were to use it very often I would and if it was either a tool for my job or there was a decent possibility of having to use it in an emergency, then I would snatch up the best I could.

*feels stupid for buying a 500 dollar Microtech Halo 5*

Oh wait, its a badass knife that can do some serious damage that will last forever. Its like buying a nice AEG lol

*feels stupid for buying a 500 dollar Microtech Halo 5*

Oh wait, its a badass knife that can do some serious damage that will last forever. Its like buying a nice AEG lol

Hahaha don't get me wrong! It's awesome! I wasn't being a :censored2: lol I just had never heard of pocket knife "lingo" before.

If you are that into knives and collect them, then just like anything you can drop big bucks on the best.

I googled the Microtech Halo 5, and man that thing looks mean... knives like those scare me, they look almost purposefully designed to shank someone.

lol microtechs are neat pieces of technology but nothing beats a fixed blade as a fighter. The whole subject of knife fighting period is a stupid idea. Totally a last ditch idea. But that's an entirely different subject.

Ka-bar makes great stuff for the price but their fixed blade designs are what people are mostly interested in. They have some really great budget folders though and a fun zombie killer line that just came out.

<AT>eatmym4 nice benchmades. My friend has a griptilian only with thumbstuds and that thing is smooth as hell. The triage is a neat design too although I would probably get the rift personally cause I don't have much use for the safety cutter.

As for buck they do some pretty amazing stuff with steel. Cause of their godly BOS heat treat you get 420hc steel acting like some more expensive stuff for only a fraction of the cost.

<AT>ace the great thing about the knife market as of right now is that there are a ton of budget options with QC levels that will impress people who think that overseas made stuff is a pile of crap. 30 bucks can actually get you a good amount of knife.

<AT>ace the great thing about the knife market as of right now is that there are a ton of budget options with QC levels that will impress people who think that overseas made stuff is a pile of crap. 30 bucks can actually get you a good amount of knife.

At $30, I wouldn't feel bad having to replace it.

I have a fixed blade Schrade Old Timer 1520t that I bought for $15 because I needed a new knife, and I must say that I am impressed with it. I hadn't bought a knife in years and the last time I was trying to find a cheapish knife I couldn't find any with full tang. Then, I found the Schrade so I bought it. Nice little knife though.

I rarely need a knife, and when I do I am in a situation where I don't need it folded and can carry it on my belt, and I prefer fell length knives rather than folding, hence the Schrade for me! :)

I got an Army R85 (L85) for $30. :P

I just googled that knife though... is that the one with the strange serration on it? Looks odd haha.

it's not strange........ it's intimidating. It works better than most other serrations in my opinion though

it's not strange........ it's intimidating. It works better than most other serrations in my opinion though

They're the veff serrations I believe... The designer says they glide through material better although I've never used it. Personally I like Kershaw and Victorinox serrations because they're more rounded and don't bite and tear material as much. But I would like to try the veff ones out of curiosity.

Personally I hate serrations on pocket knives all together, but that's just me, I know plenty of people like them.

Doesn't intimidate me BTW, sorry. Not putting your opinion down lol.

Ok... fine... I just prefer serrations for more versatility. My knife has a tanto point, a straight edge, and serrations so I am technically getting 3 tools/knives/styles in 1. But it could be higher quality in the metal

Edited by echo1airsoft

Yes Eat My M4... show them the knife addiction I helped to thrust upon you! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Okay in all seriousness though, on the subject of serrations I find that just keeping my knife sharp is better than most serrations for cutting cordage (The most common use of serrations) and is much easier to sharpen especially because I do my own sharpening. As for cheaper knives too, if you go with the right budget knife you can get a lot for not much money. My favorite budget knives are from Kershaw and Spyderco, though Buck also has great options. It really is amazing what the BOS heat treat can do. My Buck/TOPS CSAR-T in ATS-34 with the BOS heat treat is a solid knife. I have it in a pouch on my airsoft vest for heavy duty tasks if I need it. It definitely belongs in the category of "sharpened prybar!"

Also Psychobunny, the Rift is a great knife! Mine still worms its way into my pocket now and then despite my other knives with technically superior steels. People really don't give 154CM enough credit though, especially considering how stainless it is as compared to anything with more edge retention. The wharncliffe blade shape is a big win too in my book, especially the way Benchmade does it. Makes for a precise but strong tip with lots of piercing power if you need it. Also those of you looking for a good fixed blade check out the Kabar Becker lineup. Full tang 1095 CroVan at a price that won't murder your wallet. I have a BK9 myself and that thing chops like an axe. In fact I actually beat a hatchet in a chopping race with it!

Yes Eat My M4... show them the knife addiction I helped to thrust upon you! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Okay in all seriousness though, on the subject of serrations I find that just keeping my knife sharp is better than most serrations for cutting cordage (The most common use of serrations) and is much easier to sharpen especially because I do my own sharpening. As for cheaper knives too, if you go with the right budget knife you can get a lot for not much money. My favorite budget knives are from Kershaw and Spyderco, though Buck also has great options. It really is amazing what the BOS heat treat can do. My Buck/TOPS CSAR-T in ATS-34 with the BOS heat treat is a solid knife. I have it in a pouch on my airsoft vest for heavy duty tasks if I need it. It definitely belongs in the category of "sharpened prybar!"

Also Psychobunny, the Rift is a great knife! Mine still worms its way into my pocket now and then despite my other knives with technically superior steels. People really don't give 154CM enough credit though, especially considering how stainless it is as compared to anything with more edge retention. The wharncliffe blade shape is a big win too in my book, especially the way Benchmade does it. Makes for a precise but strong tip with lots of piercing power if you need it. Also those of you looking for a good fixed blade check out the Kabar Becker lineup. Full tang 1095 CroVan at a price that won't murder your wallet. I have a BK9 myself and that thing chops like an axe. In fact I actually beat a hatchet in a chopping race with it!

Serrations are fine if they're made correctly. Although 90% of manufacturers do it wrong. ESPECIALLY Benchmade. As much as I love some of their designs, their serrations are horrid. They're ground too far in and leave a dip where the serrations meet the plain edge making an abrupt jump when you cut.

The CSAR-T is the only Buck knife I really want right now. My biggest turn off with Buck knives is that the designs they have just don't appeal to me. They have a lot of really traditional designs which is fine but just not for me

Hahaha its funny you mention the rift cause that's the knife I'm in the market for atm. The bladeshape is actually what they call a reverse tanto. It's great cause you still have the belly of a drop point but the tip strength of a tanto. Right now the lowest I've seen on the forums is like 130 shipped... I regret not buying a lot of these knives when the economy started to take a nose dive. Ton of great deals on the forums... 154cm is an underrated steel. Everyone gets caught up with the S30v and up and all those exotic tool steels that have crazy high Rockwell ratings but for the price 154 is getting to be a bargain.

I have heard a lot of good things about the becker line from Ka-bar. But I don't really have a need for a fixed blade atm. The only one I would get is the becker necker because I could actually EDC that. But odds are I wont get that for a while.

Serrations are fine if they're made correctly. Although 90% of manufacturers do it wrong. ESPECIALLY Benchmade. As much as I love some of their designs, their serrations are horrid. They're ground too far in and leave a dip where the serrations meet the plain edge making an abrupt jump when you cut.

The CSAR-T is the only Buck knife I really want right now. My biggest turn off with Buck knives is that the designs they have just don't appeal to me. They have a lot of really traditional designs which is fine but just not for me

Hahaha its funny you mention the rift cause that's the knife I'm in the market for atm. The bladeshape is actually what they call a reverse tanto. It's great cause you still have the belly of a drop point but the tip strength of a tanto. Right now the lowest I've seen on the forums is like 130 shipped... I regret not buying a lot of these knives when the economy started to take a nose dive. Ton of great deals on the forums... 154cm is an underrated steel. Everyone gets caught up with the S30v and up and all those exotic tool steels that have crazy high Rockwell ratings but for the price 154 is getting to be a bargain.

I have heard a lot of good things about the becker line from Ka-bar. But I don't really have a need for a fixed blade atm. The only one I would get is the becker necker because I could actually EDC that. But odds are I wont get that for a while.

Yeah I figured I would reassure your decision to buy a Rift based on my positive experience. You know if you go to a lot of online retailers they sell Benchmades for 25% off or so with coupon codes. Benchmade just doesn't allow them to advertise lower prices. Look at Knifeworks, I got my Rift for $120 from there. They also have some cool exclusive designs like the Doug Ritter series that only they carry. And if you like the Becker Necker, check out the Eskabar. It's the handle of an Izula with the blade of a BK14 Necker. Full of win in my opinion.