Sign in to follow this  
gotmilk24

Good grenade launcher?

Ok, so my birthday is coming up and I think I want to get a grenade launcher because I love the style of having huge shells and the variety of ones you can use that all fit the same gun. I know that they are practically shotguns, but I've seen some shells that shoot rubber bullets/paintballs/and large rubber balls(lol). So im wondering what to get. My first choice is the King Arms M79 long version: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=8360 The only thing is that I haven't seen is many reviews but the ones I have say its the best M79 that you can buy. I like the m79 because its a break barrel style and single shot which is cool. Next on my choices is the ICS GLM: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=8123 I like this but the only thing that I don't like is the stock which im wondering if it can be removed and the rails. But the 6 shot style is cool, even though it would take me forever to buy all 6 shells. So im basically deciding between these two. I think the M79 is much better made because its all metal and real wood unlike the m23 which is plastic. I've seen the CAW m23 but that is wayy to much. So if you could tell me what you think of the two and also I need to know what are some good shells to buy. Thanks

Edited by StripedRaccoon

The launcher itself isn't that big of a deal. Buy the replica you prefer. I'd go for a M203 type and hang it under an M16/M4 type replica. I'm kinda old school so as well so if I didn't do a weapon mounted one and opted for a stand alone I'd want the nam era thumper or get a replica masterkey style stock and pistolgrip for the M203. Not too big on the M23 revolver or the EGLMs. Again, just preference honestly.

The shells and your choice of fodder is the real decision to ponder. Do you really want to just use it as a glorified shotgun or actually lob mock ordnance with one? I loved the Madbull XMPB4 shells to lob Nerf vortex mini footballs. Its ridiculous the range you can get with one. Going for the longest tube possible on your launcher and inserting the football backwards with that particular shell gave a nice thump. Even a bit of felt recoil if the launcher wasn't attached to the rifle replica. With a bit of practice it was easy to put vortex footballs where you needed them. Having the ability to use psuedo rocket comes in real handy at some events. At Bulldog 3 I lent and watched a team mate of mine use my XMPB4 shells on several occasions with great success to clear out rooms in various buildings of the Ft Hood Mout sites. Well worth the expense and effort.

The only real drawbacks to the shells regardless of what you choose to buy are the cost. It gets spendy. Then having to always get green gas or hassle with a propane adapter. Its cheaper with the adapter but you have to deal with the propane smell and silicon lubrication.

The launcher itself isn't that big of a deal. Buy the replica you prefer. I'd go for a M203 type and hang it under an M16/M4 type replica. I'm kinda old school so as well so if I didn't do a weapon mounted one and opted for a stand alone I'd want the nam era thumper or get a replica masterkey style stock and pistolgrip for the M203. Not too big on the M23 revolver or the EGLMs. Again, just preference honestly.

The shells and your choice of fodder is the real decision to ponder. Do you really want to just use it as a glorified shotgun or actually lob mock ordnance with one? I loved the Madbull XMPB4 shells to lob Nerf vortex mini footballs. Its ridiculous the range you can get with one. Going for the longest tube possible on your launcher and inserting the football backwards with that particular

shell gave a nice thump. Even a bit of felt recoil if the launcher wasn't attached to the rifle replica. With a bit of practice it was easy to put vortex footballs where you needed them. Having the ability to use psuedo rocket comes in real handy at some events. At Bulldog 3 I lent and watched a team mate of mine use my XMPB4 shells on several occasions with great success to clear out rooms in various buildings of the Ft Hood Mout sites. Well worth the expense and effort.

The only real drawbacks to the shells regardless of what you choose to buy are the cost. It gets spendy. Then having to always get green gas or hassle with a propane adapter. Its cheaper with the adapter but you have to deal with the propane smell and silicon lubrication

So are you saying that the actual launcher itself is basically just making the shell shoot? I would prefer a standalone and probably the m79. The only other one to compare it to is the CAW m79 but that has some plastic.

Is fps all about the shell that you use? And for the nerf ammo like you said, would someone actually feel it if you shot them with it?

So are you saying that the actual launcher itself is basically just making the shell shoot? I would prefer a standalone and probably the m79. The only other one to compare it to is the CAW m79 but that has some plastic.

Is fps all about the shell that you use? And for the nerf ammo like you said, would someone actually feel it if you shot them with it?

All the launcher is, is a fancy shell around a very simple mechanism that just pushes the back of the shell in, causing it to discharge it's load of bbs.

FPS is about the gas you use, and if you're using propane you're just going to be disapointed with your 203 and go around airsoft forums telling people how useless m203s are and how much better off you are without one.

FPS is about the PSI the gas is stored at, all propane and green gas are approximate the same PSI. If you use Co2, you can set the PSI when you load your shells, allowing you to have shells for long range engagements, shells for up close, and shells for firing nerf rockets.

Don't buy any m203 shells that aren't made by madbull and don't have XM in front of their name. Madbull XM series shells are generally agreed upon to be the best. You'll also want a Co2 charger for them.

Soooo I hope you have a few spare bucks laying around because that's a pricey shopping list! I'm partway through a 203 project right now, so I've accumulated quite a lot of knowledge about these little toys.

the cawm79 is wonderful I've used one. it was also a wood and metal not abs.

much like a break action shotgun the shell is what does the talking, the trigger just depresses the pin in the shell causing it to fire. you can load it with duster gas and a bb or co2 and a nerf howler. that being said expect to spend several hundred dollars on shells. madbulls are 50-60 a pop to start and having less than 4 is a wasted asset for your team. the biggest bonus of having a grenade launcher is the anti vehicle and area of effect rules when using a howler ofr all other reasons I would choose an aeg over a launcher.