to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Flipdan92

Secondary/Sidearm for Snipers

TM mk23 an a pile of y&p mags. the gun does make a pop but with the mock"silencer"mock the noice is reduced. I Practiced with mine at 120 feet at a helmet using .26s and could with success make kills at that distance.

another fine option for low FPS and bulk is the mp7 wich has breakage problems or at least both of mine did, or the JG mp5k wich has a very upgradable v3 not to mention a nice rof with a buffer tube lipo.

I can't remember who said it but I think it was "The day you use your sidearm is the day you wish you had your rifle"

Can't say I agree with that snipes..... That is a terrible idea.

I mean a pistol, with two mags isn't going to weigh you down very much. Heck if you have them both in a good holster you wont even know they are there.

That and every sniper should carry a side arm. Becuase those times do happen when you need a pistol to get someone that has stumbled upon you.... and to shoot them with your rifle at a close range is asking for trouble!

I disagree sniperx2s, carrying a sidearm with any rifle that shoots as hot as most sniper's rifles out there is almost essential.

When I was in the role of sniper a couple years ago I tried out a couple different options, first I used a Tokyo Marui Glock 26, holstered it in a Blackhawk! Serpa, and carried 3 extra mags with me, that worked amazingly since the pistol is so small I literally could forget it was on my belt, its small size was especially useful when wearing my ghillie suit, but at the same time that little sucker can out shoot most handguns. Let that attest to TM's reputation.

Well after a little while my hands got to big for such a tiny handgun, so I got a pretty cheap multi-shot shotgun with a pistol grip and no stock, as well as a M.O.L.L.E. vest, and a shotgun scabbard. I put the shotgun in the scabbard, and the scabbard on the back of the vest, this keeps the shotgun from swinging all over the place when your crawling/running around, but still pretty easily accessible (after some practice) This didn't work real great with a ghillie suit, however it gave me a lot better advantage when I had to advance on a position (especially in those capture the flag games when everyone else on your team will not advance)

At one time I ran my sniper rifle, shotgun, and my Glock, just because I was already carrying the shotgun, and the Glock didn't slow me down any and is pretty nice for those really tight corners.

More recently at Oklahoma Invasion 6 my primary was an E1 416 (AEG) and my sidearm was my shotgun, in the scabbard on my back. I ran the 416 because we already had a sniper in our squad, and since I'm breacher and pointman for my squad a sniper's rifle isn't ideal, which is why I traded the BASR for the AEG in the first place. Anyways my AEG had absolutely zero problems the entire OP up until the last hour or so (I emptied about 18 mid caps that OP, which is WAY more than I normally shoot)...After that it was completely useless, so out came the shotgun, and I was very glad I had that instead of a handgun. To me a sidearm is for use when your primary fails, or in the case of a sniper, when someone gets within your minimum engagement distance.

A handgun is an excellent choice for a snipers sidearm, and can be used very effectively, however its not *usually* a great substitute for a long rifle, which is why for me having a long range rifle, and a short range shotgun was perfect.

A lot of people that don't have experience using/training with shotguns will say that they aren't good primaries, I disagree, and now I run shotguns almost exclusively, both for MOUT/CQB, as well as in the field. We'll see how it performs for me at Battle for Liberty, but I have no doubt it will do just fine.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but thought it might be helpful.

Food for thought.

Leaf

Edited by jcbfrntz

Can't say I agree with that snipes..... That is a terrible idea.

I mean a pistol, with two mags isn't going to weigh you down very much. Heck if you have them both in a good holster you wont even know they are there.

That and every sniper should carry a side arm. Becuase those times do happen when you need a pistol to get someone that has stumbled upon you.... and to shoot them with your rifle at a close range is asking for trouble!

well, im not complaining too much about the pistol and mags. its mostly having to carry a propane tank with me. the space it takes up is the space I could be using for water. and I have a KWA 1911, which I brought to a game once. never used it, propane tank was too bulky to carry with me, and I never really used it. so I just converted it to full auto for fun. as for someone stumbling onto me, I don't usually snipe alone. I usually stick to a small group of players, who provides a close range buffer in case someone stumbles onto me. its mostly because I don't have a radio, so I stick to small groups to just so it is easier to relay information.

if I ever need a secondary, im probably going to carry an MP7 or an MP5 with retractable stock.

well, im not complaining too much about the pistol and mags. its mostly having to carry a propane tank with me. the space it takes up is the space I could be using for water. and I have a KWA 1911, which I brought to a game once. never used it, propane tank was too bulky to carry with me, and I never really used it. so I just converted it to full auto for fun. as for someone stumbling onto me, I don't usually snipe alone. I usually stick to a small group of players, who provides a close range buffer in case someone stumbles onto me. its mostly because I don't have a radio, so I stick to small groups to just so it is easier to relay information.

if I ever need a secondary, im probably going to carry an MP7 or an MP5 with retractable stock.

To each his own, but I don't see why you would want to carry around a propane tank, with the exception being maybe an OP longer than two days, in which case your probably carrying a backpack, so no problem. Its a sidearm, something you shouldn't have to use much, and if you do its just to get you out of a tight spot, if you need more gas, then carry more mags...

Leaf

Well, a friend of mine is selling a WE-Tech Super Alpha with a 50 round extended magazine, and a KAC .45 ACP suppressor. Anyone used that gun before?

I haven't used that specific model, but all WE's hi-capas are pretty much the same, they make decent guns, but I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. For what your looking for, assuming its in good shape, it will be just fine.

Leaf

I haven't used that specific model, but all WE's hi-capas are pretty much the same, they make decent guns, but I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. For what your looking for, assuming its in good shape, it will be just fine.

Leaf

He's talking about the one that EchoRecon is selling.

Silencer alone is about $30~$40...it's the KAC .45 one.

its mostly having to carry a propane tank with me

Why the hell are you running around with a propane tank anyways? Just 2-3 extra mags is enough for a sidearm even to lay down covering fire for a retreat.

KAC .45 ACP suppressor

Suppressors don't help much for GBBs as a lot of the noise still comes from the slide movement. Only really useful for concealing an extended inner barrel or for the looks.

Edited by renegadecow

TM G18c AEP, as said above.

Nuff said....

The thing just wrecks. Hell I could get away with using it as a primary against some opponents. It always has my back. And despite its low fps, can have some seriously good range for a side arm, consistency/accuracy is hard to match as well.

I don't know if this has been said already, but I would suggest a single stack pistol, and is also, by nature; light. The reason being is that you don't want a heavy pistol on your hip, and 15-17 shots in one mag is enough. 1-2 extra mags would also be enough for a sniper. A "suppresor" is not neccesary, it won't do much if you don't have a inner barrel going through it.

Just curious, how does a single stack GBB weigh that much less than a double stack GBB?

Id take the double stack any day. Plus, gas reservoir will hold much more, giving more consistent fps.

But I've moved on from GBB's and back to AEP's, as my advice shows. Especially with winter rolling up soon, gas is horrible in conditions in my area.

Just curious, how does a single stack GBB weigh that much less than a double stack GBB?

Id take the double stack any day. Plus, gas reservoir will hold much more, giving more consistent fps.

But I've moved on from GBB's and back to AEP's, as my advice shows. Especially with winter rolling up soon, gas is horrible in conditions in my area.

Im making an inference from use of my pistol, Kwa M1911 DS PTP. Each of my double-stacked mag weighs .7lbs wich is a hell of a lot. I assume that a single stack wouldn't weigh that much.