Animalmother

Tokyo Marui MP5k Question

I bought a Tokyo Marui MP5k.

I thought it was a good deal. The seller has said the gearbox has never been opened, and the body never dissembled. It was 155.00 Shipped from Ebay. Here is the Ebay item number: 150660522886 put it in the Ebay search and you can see it.

Was this a good deal?

I asked him how old it was, he has not responded. I wanted to upgrade it simply if it was old. New bucking, barrel, spring, bushings, and maybe air nozzle.

Is this all I need to upgrade it or are some of my to be upgrades unnecessary?

I just want it shooting at 330-360 and I am happy. I don't play airsoft anymore I just want this to mess around with in case the chance does arise.

Also, what batteries fit in it? Any short mags for it that feed good?

Thanks again guys.

Edited by Animalmother

There is something to be said about a brand of airsoft guns that are said to last 5-10 years easily without ever being opened..... These guns are amazing(though expensive). My friend's is 6 years old and the only reason it needed an upgrade is because he just wanted more fps/range than what his sub-280fps could provide.

If he isn't lying then you can keep the barrel for sure, TMs barrels are said to be very good(consistency beats out a tighter bore)

This is what I would get:

Modify 6mm Metal Bushings

M110 (most brands will do fine, though SHS, Dream Army, and Matrix have a tenancy to 'flake' very thin paint shards during use so I'd not recommend them)

Shims/Grease (again, most will do, they're just shims)

Guarder Air Seal Nozzle (Air seal nozzle = win but on a TM it's not going to make a monster difference. It will give you more fps, just not as huge a difference like if you put it on a Cyma/Galaxy MP5k)

To be honest, I don't see any need to upgrade it more than that for basic plinking; you could get a nicer motor if its one of the old ones and you feel like spending the $25-$40(depending on brand), but I had an EG1000 pulling a Sig552 running around what you are on its stock battery just fine. Didn't get the most shots out of the pack, and didn't have amazing ROF but it got the job done.

Since it's an MP5k, it uses stick type batteries so I would go with NiMh over LiPo's even though LiPo is cheaper and more powerful. The main reason is just because specifically, the stick types are a bit more expensive since they have to basically be made just for airsoft guns. In this case, this battery would do you just fine. Just make sure to use a smart charger or a slow trickle charger on it so you don't ruin the cells.

As far as mags go, the only short ones I know of are on Evike and I have no idea how they feed. I have had terrible luck with Mag/Star MP5 midcaps but have since broken them in enough that they kind of work. I would personally just get some JG hi-caps or TMs if you have the money and want a really good quality mag.

..... M'yep I think that about covers it. Any more questions, just ask away.

There is something to be said about a brand of airsoft guns that are said to last 5-10 years easily without ever being opened..... These guns are amazing(though expensive). My friend's is 6 years old and the only reason it needed an upgrade is because he just wanted more fps/range than what his sub-280fps could provide.

If he isn't lying then you can keep the barrel for sure, TMs barrels are said to be very good(consistency beats out a tighter bore)

Well, he said he had it for a year and it sat in his closet. What damage can come from just sitting? If he is telling the truth.

This is what I would get:

Modify 6mm Metal Bushings

M110 (most brands will do fine, though SHS, Dream Army, and Matrix have a tenancy to 'flake' very thin paint shards during use so I'd not recommend them)

Shims/Grease (again, most will do, they're just shims)

Guarder Air Seal Nozzle (Air seal nozzle = win but on a TM it's not going to make a monster difference. It will give you more fps, just not as huge a difference like if you put it on a Cyma/Galaxy MP5k)

I was thinking Systema M100 Spring, Cheap 6mm Bushings, Shims, guarder nozzle.

To be honest, I don't see any need to upgrade it more than that for basic plinking; you could get a nicer motor if its one of the old ones and you feel like spending the $25-$40(depending on brand), but I had an EG1000 pulling a Sig552 running around what you are on its stock battery just fine. Didn't get the most shots out of the pack, and didn't have amazing ROF but it got the job done.

Well, I wanted it to be ready in the rare off chance that magical moment an airsoft skirmish does arise.

Since it's an MP5k, it uses stick type batteries so I would go with NiMh over LiPo's even though LiPo is cheaper and more powerful. The main reason is just because specifically, the stick types are a bit more expensive since they have to basically be made just for airsoft guns. In this case, this battery would do you just fine. Just make sure to use a smart charger or a slow trickle charger on it so you don't ruin the cells.

I work with lipos enough, I stick with NIMH for airsoft. Is there a way a 9.6V could fit?

As far as mags go, the only short ones I know of are on Evike and I have no idea how they feed. I have had terrible luck with Mag/Star MP5 midcaps but have since broken them in enough that they kind of work. I would personally just get some JG hi-caps or TMs if you have the money and want a really good quality mag.

..... M'yep I think that about covers it. Any more questions, just ask away.

Thank you very much for help.

Edited by Animalmother

Are these things easy to upgrade? I have not touched a gun in months.

I want to do light things to it.

Think Budget!

-Shims/Grease

-Bearing Spring Guide

-Bearing Piston

-Simple 6mm Bushings

-Systema M100 Spring

-Gaurder Air Nozzle

What's the cheapest place I can get all these parts from lower 48? Or parts that perform the same but cheaper around our homeland?

Are these things easy to upgrade? I have not touched a gun in months.

I want to do light things to it.

Think Budget!

-Shims/Grease

-Bearing Spring Guide

-Bearing Piston

-Simple 6mm Bushings

-Systema M100 Spring

-Gaurder Air Nozzle

What's the cheapest place I can get all these parts from lower 48? Or parts that perform the same but cheaper around our homeland?

For just that much airsoftgi is your best bet. They have usps shipping now, so im thinking you could get all that for...80-ish. Maybe 50-ish if you buy new/used from people here. Heck I have all that stuff laying in a box, but Im not looking to sell it.

I say pick up one of these off eha.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/shs-speed-up-ge...eth-piston.html

I forget what version the mp5k is. but the have multiple set available.

and who knows send them email/message and see uf they can customize it for you

*continuing to think budget* why do you need a ball bearing spring guide? the only thing I can thing of it improving is the bearings acting as a spacer for the spring increasing fps. and if you plan on correcting AoE that will screw you...

*continuing to think budget* why do you need a ball bearing spring guide? the only thing I can thing of it improving is the bearings acting as a spacer for the spring increasing fps. and if you plan on correcting AoE that will screw you...

I remember back when I used to upgrade my guns that the ballbearing guide was a recommended upgrade back then I forget what for. This was back when Tokyo Marui guns were much cheaper and readily available stateside.

Please explain the AoE to me. I have never heard of that. I have been out of the game a long time.

I also have 7.4v 20C 1200mah lipo for it. Will be ok? Will it last long?

Edited by Animalmother

I remember back when I used to upgrade my guns that the ballbearing guide was a recommended upgrade back then I forget what for. This was back when Tokyo Marui guns were much cheaper and readily available stateside.

Please explain the AoE to me. I have never heard of that. I have been out of the game a long time.

I also have 7.4v 20C 1200mah lipo for it. Will be ok? Will it last long?

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Correcti...em-t221337.html

There is a greatnguide to correcting aoe it is not neccesary in a stock set up but will help. That battery will work just fine, people will say that it burns your trigger contacts, don't worry it wont cause any problems

the only thing I can thing of it improving is the bearings acting as a spacer for the spring increasing fps. and if you plan on correcting AoE that will screw you...

:a-skeptical: No it won't screw you when correcting AoE. Where did you get this idea?

The ball bearing spring guide does two things. The original reason for the bearing is to allow the spring to decompress linearly or something like that, reducing stress on the spring making it last longer. The side effect of adding the bearings is that it pre-compresses the spring a little bit which gives you a slightly higher fps.

:a-skeptical: No it won't screw you when correcting AoE. Where did you get this idea?

I'm not sure, I did correct the AoE in my gun using a ball bearing spring guide and I put maybe 50 shots through it the opened it and there was a ton of wear on the piston teeth(no not premature engagement). I'm really not sure but I would think that the sorbo pad acts as a spacer causing the spring to compress more, and the ball bearings act as a spacer making the spring compress even more (too much?). But does the sorbo pad actually compress the spring more or does it just stop the spring from de-compressing a couple milimeters more? I'll be putting a non bearing spring guide in tomorrow or when ever I have time... And thank you for explaining the advatages of a ball bearing spring guide.

Hey guys, I don't plan on correcting the AoE. I think I got lucky to, this TM was only 160 and looks like it has not seen any use period. I hope have not spoke to soon. It's a year old and in the closet most of the time I doubt I have to go in the gearbox to maintain anything.

I got a 7.4V 20C lipo for it do I need to swap the fuse or is the stock one ok?

I have decided to keep it stock for now. If something were to break there are lots of marui compatible external parts out there right?

I was going to switch to Deans but the amps loads being so low I don't think it would make any difference to switch to deans except for space reason.

What do you guys think?

Anyone know what mags feed well in this? Cheap midcap mags that is.

Is Tokyo Marui the only one that Makes a MP5K/PDW short Mag?

The only short ones I am familiar with are CYMA, which should work in a tm mp5k. You can find them here.

Just got the CYMA 45rnd not too long ago, they actually make my magwell split a 1mm roughly. They also have to be "shoved" into it.

Figured a clone mag would work the same.

I ordered some TM MP5 PDW Mags on sale at airsoftatalanta. 28rnds only though. Oh well, hope all 28rnds will be shot out of the mag.

Pretty much - the cells are higher quality and have better output so they get more to the motor which gives you more shots per battery. Now by how much exactly, I'm not totally sure but on a bone stock TM, I'd say at least by 100-500 rounds more.

How long do you think it will last? Like how many rounds?