to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
shlunka

Favorite DMR platform

Favorite DMR platform?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite DMR platform?

• SR-25
    • Dragunov SVD
    • M14
    • G36K
    • SL8
    • PSG1
    • G3
    • L85
    • WA2000
    • OTHER

DMR stands for designated marksman rifle. The designated marksman role fills the gap between a regular infantryman and a sniper. I think it's fair to say that none of those sniper rifles deserve a spot on that poll.

I favor the SCAR for a DMR platform.

Edited by Izak

Most of those, if not all of those, listed are either in use with military for a designated marksman purpose, or have a variant that fills the role. Don't deserve a spot? The U.S military uses an SR-25, and I believe some S.W.A.T teams employ the PSG1 in some situations. They are a very good DMR platform in the real steel and airsoft.

If you're counting all of the variants, I agree the MSG90SDN is a DMR; but I still don't count the WA2000 as a DMR.

Not really, unless it's the CA MK-17 which has the V2.5 GB.

Are you saying I'm confused about my own opinion? Or are you saying that the standard Scar-L doesn't reach the "up to 550 yards" effective distance of a DMR with it's 550 yd (standard barrel) effective range and 660 yd effective range with it's long barrel length? Or are you saying that you can't make a airsoft DMR without a version 2.5 gearbox?

The sr-25 is not used in the designated marksmen role, nor is the WA2000, PSG-1, and several others. They are used as semi automatic sniper rifles. The m14 and an accurized m16a4 are what is currently filling the DM role. See the SAM-R and the SDM-R. Granted this is airsoft and you could use an mp5(which doesn't belong on that list, like 90% of the guns up there) as a dmr. Just as I use an m4 carbine as a base(see "recce" rifle).

So you forgot the m16/m4 platform, which is used as a real steel dmr :rolleyes: and should be on that list by virture of actually being a *ahem* DMR . Can you guess what my favorite platform is?

I agree that m16/m4 variants are absent from this poll. I have a Mk12 mod1 I built up as a DMR.

I have an unexplainable and undying love for m4/m16 variants.

Even though they have terribly made airsoft internals.

Weak gearbox shells. Inconsistent hopup. cramped tappet plates. Terrible motor support.

However, that's all I ever want to buy, for reasons I don't even understand.

I have an unexplainable and undying love for m4/m16 variants.

Even though they have terribly made airsoft internals.

Weak gearbox shells. Inconsistent hopup. cramped tappet plates. Terrible motor support.

However, that's all I ever want to buy, for reasons I don't even understand.

How do they have inconsistent hopups?

My top choices:

SR-25 (7.62x51 NATO)

SVD (7.62x54R)

M14 (7.62x51 NATO)

Seeing as the SVD has issues with accuracy after firing in sem-rapid succesion, it is eliminated. The M14 is a little too long to me. The SR-25 has the AR style looks, which I like, and is upgradeable/versatile. It is also very accurate. Now if we say just airsoft, I would go with an SR-25 any day (V 2.5 GB plus other listed things)

Speaking about airsoft, if in a budget, an ICS m16/M4 is a great platform to upgrade due to split gearbox and redesigned hop chamber, my backup gun is an ICS M4 commando and with simple DIY mods it outranges almost every rifleman in the field (no TBB), I simply don't want to know what would happen with an upgraded spring, TBB and high torque motor... =S

Another great platform is the recent TM Recce rifle and much funnier to play with although much harder and more expensive to upgrade to DMR standards, but I think its worth it, stock at 300FPS its simply impressive how it outperforms upgraded guns in the field...