to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Aidan

Best DMR out of box?

The point of a DMR is to upgrade it to shoot as far, consistent, and fast. DMR's typically cost tons of money, in fact they are never cheap. The best option is to get a gun that has good externals and then replace all the internals. If you have a tight budget, don't go for a DMR.

Yeah, I'm thinking of building one over the course of several paychecks. I'm just wondering which is the closest out of the box, so that I can use it somewhat as a DMR until I can get it completely there.

CA SR-25?

Only upgrades that you REALLY need is.....

R-hop

TBB

stronger spring if you want to

Motor

That's....about it.....

Run some mods such as Sorbo padding the Cylinder Head and AoE correction.

and some air seal mods....

I was thinking in stead of a Sniper Rifle build, I would in stead do a much more versatile DMR build. I'm looking for a base right now, and was wondering what the most DMR-y gun is out of the box, as to minimalize upgrade parts.

I am also planning out a DMR build. This is a tough decision and you will get many different suggestions that you will have to process to come to your own choice. With that said, I'll share a few bits of wisdom I have picked up in my own research so far.

M16 variants have many external options but I think the weakest link is the V2 gearbox shell. If you like this style of gun you should choose one with a reliable heavy duty gearbox that can handle the abuse of an upgraded spring.

SR-25/AR-10 types with Extended V2 gearboxes (A&K, CA, JG) seem to handle the abuse of a high power spring a little better than standard V2 GB's. If you upgrade the internals you'll want to do a lot of research to find what is compatible. Some standard V2 components will work and some are unique to the EV2.

G36 and AK style guns have a V3 gearbox that have a good reputation for being stronger than the V2. These styles don't have many options for rail systems and body mods though.

M14 style replicas have the advantage of having a tough V7 GB. These don't have a huge amount of aftermarket upgrades available though and M14's can be bulky, heavy monsters.

If you want something that you can start using out of the box then you will may be limited to M16 or SR-25 styles because there are the only ones that seem to be offered with some levels of upgrading included. Here are a few that have a pretty good $$/performance ratio that come to mind:

A&K SPR MOD 0 ~$240

A&K SR-25 ~$250

JG SR-25 ~$230

CA AR-10 or SR-25 (CA25) ~$370

Echo 1 SR-25 (ER25) ~ $275 but not in stock anywhere

JG M16 RIS Enhanced Version ~ $160

All of the above will shoot around 400 FPS with various accuracy. All of them will eventually break down with high tension springs, but some will fail sooner than others. On that note, the best strategy may be to make a simple change, such as adding a TBB and better bucking, and use it until it breaks.

Another option is to go with the KWA KM16BR or SR-12 and don't change anything (most parts are proprietary to KWA so there isn't much room to expand). I have heard of people building a DMR from the ground up and after years of tweeking they don't get much better performance than the stock KWA. So if you are satisfied with the 400 FPS neighborhood this may be the way to go.

If you are a crazy perfectionist then you may try to have the best of both worlds: Buy a KWA SR-12 to use while perfecting your custom SR-25 build. I won't single anyone out who has gone that route (wink wink).

All the best,

Mr Rick

CA SR-25?

Only upgrades that you REALLY need is.....

R-hop

TBB

stronger spring if you want to

Motor

That's....about it.....

Run some mods such as Sorbo padding the Cylinder Head and AoE correction.

and some air seal mods....

You make it sound so simple :)

Depending on the level of DMR you want it could take a TON of work.

Don't hate, but a CM048 is a great stock gun.

Comes with an M140, bearing spring guide, polycarb piston, AOE kinda adjusted (half of 2nd tooth shaved and thicker pad on CH) and decent airseal. Even comes with a JG blue clone motor. SOLID internals.

Just do some tuning to the metal AK hopup chamber that it comes with (RHOP and new bucking) and you are good to go. Of course, internal work would be greatly beneficial, but not needed.

Edited by Adman234

Guest alberty
Don't hate, but a CM048 is a great stock gun.

Comes with an M140, bearing spring guide, polycarb piston, AOE kinda adjusted (half of 2nd tooth shaved and thicker pad on CH) and decent airseal. Even comes with a JG blue clone motor. SOLID internals.

Just do some tuning to the metal AK hopup chamber that it comes with (RHOP and new bucking) and you are good to go. Of course, internal work would be greatly beneficial, but not needed.

Not typical to use an AK-47 when looking for an out-of-box DMR setup...

Not typical to use an AK-47 when looking for an out-of-box DMR setup...

It is an AK74, not 47 :D (haha)

It is not really a DMR-looking gun, but has great DMR-like performance with some simple upgrades.

But then again, I am very partial to AKs. So something bigger caliber IRL like an SR-25 or an SVD would be a better bet externally.

Guest alberty
It is an AK74, not 47 :D (haha)

It is not really a DMR-looking gun, but has great DMR-like performance with some simple upgrades.

But then again, I am very partial to AKs. So something bigger caliber IRL like an SR-25 or an SVD would be a better bet externally.

How about a JG G36? Low initial cost, good hop up design, V3 gearbox, and nice externals. All you'd really need right away is a barrel and a bit of tuning.

Yeah, this is what I mean. I'm sure both of these AEGs are pretty good out of the box, just not usual choices for a "DMR" platform, especially "out of box" as OP is looking for.

VFC FN Herstal SCAR-H MK17 SSR

f2ojms.jpg

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=9598

I have heard these make great DMR's the only thing different is the air nozzle the gearbox I beleave is all v2 compatable so easy to get parts and easy to fix. These also use regular m14 mags making extra mags easy to get. SR25 mags are very hard to get in midcaps! The only draw-back they are $500!

Guest alberty
I have heard these make great DMR's the only thing different is the air nozzle the gearbox I beleave is all v2 compatable so easy to get parts and easy to fix. These also use regular m14 mags making extra mags easy to get. SR25 mags are very hard to get in midcaps! The only draw-back they are $500!

I'm not quite sure about the magazines--I believe you have to slightly modify the shell if you use M14 or SR25 mags in this (I forgot which one).

VFC FN Herstal SCAR-H MK17 SSR

SO, SO wrong about the mag compatability. They use proprietary VFC mags, but you can also use the new Dboys Mk17 mags as well. The difference between M14 mags and SR25 mags is where the mag nozzle is. Look up pics and see.

I'm not quite sure about the magazines--I believe you have to slightly modify the shell if you use M14 or SR25 mags in this (I forgot which one).

I believe that you can eventually mod a G&P/CA/A&K SR25 mag to fit in the slot, but no guarantees. Trust me, I've owned both the SSR and several G&P/CA/A&K Sr25s.

KWA's are insanely accurate right out of the BOX.... and TBH are the best performing STOCK AEGs.

For what myy $900 SR-25 can do, a $300 KWA w/ $200 in upgrades/tuneing up can perform just as well as my SR-25. I admit that.

And I think M14s are the IDEAL base DMR, becuase of their GB and hopup style being the best among other AEGs (irrelevent if your putting an R hop.)

Personally,I think the KWA sr12 is your best choice. with a good shim job and a nice lipo you can run up to an M150 spring(that's what KWA rates it for) but I've seen people run heavier springs than that. I've personally run an sp140 spring in my completely stock 2gx M4A1 with absolutely no problems. Iwouldn't recommend this but it was more of a test than anything.

And no, KWA's are not as proprietary as people say. KWA's just work better with stock KWA parts. there just aren't that many things you can do to make a KWA much better. It's like when people get mad because KWA has a plastic 2-piece hop-up unit and they want a metal 1-piece unit just because most people think or have been told that it's "better" than KWA's even though KWA has one of the best hop-up's and the best air-seal out there. Just an example.

If your interested in KWA you should go search around on their forum and ask some questions on there. There's alot of really nice DMR's on there and everyone on there is really helpful.

Good luck with your decision. (uh oh, I may have just started world war 3 by telling you to get a KWA :a-laugh: )