Hey everybody, so my baby right now is a jgbar that I haven't had much time to work on, all I have done is put in aftermarket sears, piston, and springguide. It's still pretty sexy with the stock 100 spring, and eventually I'm going to get a teflon, new hop up and barrel. That aside, once I'm done with pimping my Bar, I'd like to get into AEGs and learn about the iternals, what the mechanics are etc. I'd like to get a solid gun I wouldn't have to upgrade too much, what would be some solid choices in the $150-$250 range?

Models I like:

Mp5

M4

G3

AUG

M16

Bullpup guns (L85, famas)

ACR

Models I don't like:

Russian styling (AKs)

G36

What I was looking at as a possible first choice was the ICS mp5, all opinions are welcome.

Thanks

If you're going for the newer MX5 or whatever that new strange looking ICS MP5 is with 3 round burst, go for it. But if you're going for the older/standard MP5 models, I'd go with CA's. A lot better design (hop up under the bolt and all).

One important thing to remember: All of these guns are basically the same thing, just different shells. Pick the gun that is most important to you. Will mag costs differ? Sure. But you'll buy them once and they all perform the same job (albeit with different efficiencies)

If you're looking for an M4 or M16, JG's metal ArmaLites are good. Internals should last for a while, and the externals, while not awesomely fantastic, are still pretty good. IIRC, they run between $190 and $250-ish.

Edited by Cardboard Box

KWA

honestly the current prices on full metal clone m4's arent that far off from kwa's

its too bad you don't like ak's. the cm048 would have been a really good choice

Edited by Zemanova

KWA

honestly the current prices on full metal clone m4's arent that far off from kwa's

its too bad you don't like ak's. the cm048 would have been a really good choice

Yeah but he wants to learn about the mechanics(I.e.: upgrades) and we all know KWAs are some of the worst for upgrading vs the clones.

And to the OP - this is kind of border lining a which gun question, but since you posted models, I think it's okay.

Like others said, pick which one you like the most(model wise) and then go from there. Keep in mind magazine cost, and upgradability internally and externally; MP5s, M4s, G3's all use V2 gearboxes, the Aug uses a V3. To be honest... I hate to say this but M4/M16 series seem to be the ideal beginners choice due to the INSANE upgradability internally and externally so I'd recommend one of them, JG's do well in this matter.

cept that m4's are such a b***h to take apart. a v3 is a better choice for a beginner. its been my experience that they take to upgrades better than the v2's ive worked on. plus beginners usually tend to go for high fps upgrades. a v3 will stand up to that better

I'd recommend looking at something by JG, AGM, Echo1. All the different models are going to have close to the same quality internals, with only slight variations. You are then down to price and external features, such as metal body and rails, and of course personal preference on looks. I would personally recommend the JG608 style for ease of taking apart if you are wanting to learn the internals

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So an AUG uses a V3 gearbox opposed to a V2, what's the difference and which manufacturer makes the best AUG? (sick looking gun imo)

On another note I would be more interested in accuracy and quality upgrades, and knowing how to reshim gears, apply grease, perform general maintenance on the gun than go for fps upgrades. Seems to me most stock AEGs have plenty high fps paired with somewhat non-reliable internals.

Guest alberty

Most stock clone AEGs, yes.

For basic tuning such as reshimming and better lubrication, basic tutorials can be found online in various ways, even on this forum.

Since your thread is borderline not a which-gun thread, I would suggest first to stay away from MP5s generally. Their disassembly process is tedious, and magazine capacity isn't very high--obviously, for CQB this might not be an issue, but just mentioning it. Even for CQB, I'd choose several other AEGs besides an MP5--I won't bother doing a model-by-model comparison about that unless needed. BUT if you really like it, then you'll have the advantage of many upgrade parts available for it since it uses a V2 gearbox, and it's a very light-weight AEG unless you stack it with metal parts as desired.

A do-it-all platform will be any sort of M4/M16/AR variant because basically every single part has more than plenty of options to replace it with. Disassembly isn't the easiest but isn't the hardest either. There are tons of brands for the base guns, and many more brands for customization of parts, and you'll find many used parts on forums as well.

A G3 is a nice less-common AEG to have, but keep in mind what size configuration you get for it. Meaning, if you get the standard G3A3 or SG-1 configs, they're a tad bit long than most people are comfortable for CQB if you ever want a CQB AEG. There do exist smaller versions of the G3, or even HK51 replicas, by some of the brands. It's also V2, so many upgrade parts are available. A few brands that make it: Tokyo Marui, Classic Army, JG, G&G. However, I do not know if G&G and CA G3 parts/mags are cross compatible with TM/JG.

AUG is another cool alternative. V3 gearbox is a nice design, and most people will recommend it (V3 over V2) for high FPS ratings (however, that is not to say that a V2 gearbox cannot withstand high FPS builds either, but you just need more work for that). Brands are TM, CA, and JG. TM makes a super short CQB high speed version as well. Some people say that JG's AUG (and especially the AUG with RIS, forgot it's name...) is one of JG's best products actually.

Edited by alberty

The version 3 and version 2 gearbox are just different designs of gearboxes for different types of guns. The version 3 gearboxes are generally preferred for higher power applications due to the stronger front end. Version 2 has the possibility of cracking the front of the gearbox.

Guest alberty
The version 3 and version 2 gearbox are just different designs of gearboxes for different types of guns. The version 3 gearboxes are generally preferred for higher power applications due to the stronger front end. Version 2 has the possibility of cracking the front of the gearbox.

But of course, you can do plenty of DIY longevity mods like sorbo padding to help reduce damage from high FPS builds.

Despite the fundamental difference in gearbox design, you will still see the high FPS M4/M16 builds just because people like the gun platform itself. No other platform has as much readily-available customization in airsoft.