to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
brubblu

Battery discharge

Hi there!

My battery charger / discharger died on me last thursday so I decided to buy a new one. I got a Balance Charger/Discharger eXtreme x-605 (it's an imax B6 rip...). It's wonderful, except from the instructions, but oh well, who cares, I figured out almost everything it can do by myself.

So, I've got a Vapextech Ni-Mh 9,6V 2000 mAh battery.

As my charger/discharger is fully customizable, I was reading a lot of articles about batteries these days, but I didn't see any thread or post about how to know when a battery is fully discharged, avoiding the risk of over discharging. I wanted to know what to look at when discharging a battery...

The discharger doesn't show decreasing values of mAh, as of "Hey man, you still have 1387 mAh to draw out of this old lady here!" so how do I know?

(does voltage play an important part too?)

It's hard to believe an imax b6 or even a knockoff wouldn't have an auto cutoff.

If I get time, I'll peruse an RC forum and see if I can find an answer. My charger has an auto cutoff so I never learned the details.

You don't need to. In fact, fully discharging a NIMH will harm it and potentially destroy some of the cells. If it sits for a while, it will discharge itself gradually, which is fine. Otherwise just charge it up; there should be no memory effect.

Ok, I'm not worried about memory effect. The thing is, while browsing trying to find some useful information about batteries, I read that once in a while you should discharge ni-mh batteries too. And I wanted to know how to discharge it...

So, regardless of it being useful or not: How can I discharge my ni-mh battery without over-discharging?

I cycle my nimhs three times when I first get them. A bit of a break in. I will also cycle them every once in a while. No problems thus far. I do it to old batteries that have sat too long. I dunno, to each their own.

To OP: Have you simply googled discharge information having to do with your charger? I'm at work so I can't go about researching thibgs like this. Youtube would be a good source of information, atleast for an imax b6. The knockoff probably has the exact same UI, just came out of a different part of china than the real thing.

yeah I tried that, there's a lot of guys asking the same question, because they aren't satisfied with the instructions provided (they are terrible for the imax as well as my rip-off). The problem is, there's a lot of talking about lipos (which I don't own) and only a few "yeah, you could do that", or "I think it's possible" or "just wait for [random user name], he will explain"

Still, I suck at electronics, so I don't have a clue...

The B6 will only discharge what is there, it will not ovewrdischarge. I have 2 of them and have been using them for 2 years now.. Discharging my NIMH batts once a month and recharging them. never had an issue with it.