to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
PhyxsioN

Breaking in a spring?

Alright, so I just purchased a new gearbox for one of my guns, the box states that it has an M100 installed. It's shooting too hot for CQB, but I was told that the spring needs to be "broken" in, and after doing so, the GB will shoot a bit lower. Is this true? I don't want to purchase a new spring for the GB for CQB simply because I just don't want to open up the gearbox so soon.

No that puts unnecessary strain on your gearbox - I just fire the gun for a while(few thousand rounds) in bursts while playing with the hop up and accuracy. After I get it how I like I just go through a few thousand rounds total firing at targets and sighting in sights, having fun with it, etc.

Leaving any spring, broken in or not, half cocked will cause it to lose power. Considering leaving it cocked for 24 hours can usually get it to lose about 5-10fps, leaving it so for a weak would be significantly more.

I recommend firing the gun to break it in.

Guest alberty

Leaving the spring compressed works, but it definitely puts strain on some of the internals of your gearbox. A common problem is the tappet plate breaking from that. So additionally, don't forgot to dry-fire the gun (shoot it without a magazine loaded) on semi-auto a few times to clear the chamber and to get the spring/piston in the forward, uncompressed position.

The static strain of leaving a gun cocked you're saying is worse than cycling it? *snort* I wouldn't leave it resting on the release tooth because you can cause fatigue in the polymer there, but leaving it mostly cocked is way easier on the system than firing it. The punchline is that if leaving your gun cocked strains or breaks something then you're f*cked because your gun will die shortly anyway.

Guest alberty

Well, I said that from my own experience. I had a brand new Echo 1 G36C a few years ago, 8mm ball-bearing version by then, and the tappet plate broke when the spring/piston were left in the rear position for a while.

Obviously leaving it in a static position is not more straining overall than cycling the gun many times, but the static position puts continued stress on specific parts over the period of time you choose.

In order to break in a spring, I usually load up about 4 highcaps and go to town! Plus, that is the only reason I own high caps :a-wink:. I would not leave your spring compressed as other members have mentioned it is more wear on your gearbox itself. As Alberty said earlier, just fire the weapon in semi auto to assure the piston is forward. I would not dry fire your gun too much. In my experience dry firing your airsoft guns puts wear and tear on your gearbox as well.