to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Aristocrap

First AEG

So I've been interested in airsoft for a very long time but I've never gotten around to give it a serious go. I know a few friends of mine have played and enjoyed it and I'd like to get in on the action. The only airsoft guns I've worked with have been cheap, Walmart-sold, spring-powered shotguns that a buddy of mine had lying around.

I'd be starting off mostly in the woods or around our private residences, so I'd be doing a combination of CQB and close-mid range field with lots of trees. I'd like to have a versatile gun to handle both types of play. Assault rifles or SMGs would suit me fine as long as they're compact and easy to maneuver with. Although an assault rifle sounds like a good investment for field, something about wielding an ultra-compact SMG like an MP7 or MP9 sounds appealing to me. If I joined a team later on, I think I'd play a standard rifleman.

I'm not terribly picky on any specific model - I like having rail systems and would probably invest in a foregrip and some type of red dot sight. Though most players I see use a M4 or M16-like gun and frankly I'd like to be a little different. I wouldn't mind using an AK and playing some kind of OP4. I'd like to have a more modern gun in current use.

Since I'm new, I also want to try for a reliable brand and not have to worry about tweaking the internals around very much. It'd probably be a good skill to learn, but right now I'm just getting my feet wet. The FPS would have to be low enough to use in close quarters but high enough for longer ranges.

You provided us with a great deal of information to give you suggestions, But for the "reliable brand" it really depends on your price range.

Ah, I forgot. I'd like not to go over $250. Too much more than that is pushing the envelope. I'd still have to spend money on magazines, BBs and the like.

For what you specified, the JG G36C would be a viable option. Cheap, durable, reliable, upgradable, and not quite as common as ArmaLites or AK-family guns.

I have heard good things about this as well. Seems like a good choice. You can also buy the mag conversion kit, so you can share stanag magazines with your M4/M16/L85 friends.

This comes perilously close to a which gun question. Please review the Forum Rules. I'm going to leave it open for the moment, as there are some concrete suggestions now in the thread. But please define a price range, and it would behoove you to do some research a post up links to a couple of AEGs that catch your eye.

I did give a price range.

Ah, I forgot. I'd like not to go over $250. Too much more than that is pushing the envelope. I'd still have to spend money on magazines, BBs and the like.

As for guns I've found that I'd be interested in, here are three:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=6992

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=7967

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=6236

They're pretty compact and easy to maneuver in close quarters. They've got rails to mount foregrips and sights (MP9 already has a foregrip). The FPS isn't too high and they seem like good guns. The MP9 is gas, however.

Edited by Aristocrap

Guest alberty

For an AEG you can change the FPS with gearbox work.

versimilitude asked you for a price range, meaning a range you would like to spend, not just your max possible spenditure.

I do not suggest the MP9 if your spending limit is $250. It is a gas powered gun and magazines will be very expensive and will have a low capacity (about 40 rounds each). Unless you are extremely light on the trigger, the magazine that it comes with won't cut it. The MP9 + 1 extra magazine already maxes out your limit and you still have to buy gas, BBs, and eye protection at the least. Plus the MP9 shoots about 400 fps out of the box, too hot for CQB use so you'll have to spend more money on a new valve to lower it.

Choose either of the GR15s. The internals are the same so you just have to choose between the standard length or CQB length barrel.

Another good option is to wait for a good deal for a KWA on eBay. My brother got a KWA 2gx KM4 cqb with a magpul CTR stock, magpul moe handguard, a 9.6v battery, a smart charger, and a bag of BBs all for $200 and everything was basically brand new. That's like $500 worth of stuff and it came with everything he needed to play. If you can find a good deal from a good seller then I would definitely go eBay.

Guest alberty
Another good option is to wait for a good deal for a KWA on eBay. My brother got a KWA 2gx KM4 cqb with a magpul CTR stock, magpul moe handguard, a 9.6v battery, a smart charger, and a bag of BBs all for $200 and everything was basically brand new. That's like $500 worth of stuff and it came with everything he needed to play. If you can find a good deal from a good seller then I would definitely go eBay.

I would not recommend eBay for someone's first AEG unless someone else experienced is doing the research for the buyer. It's very easy for sellers to pass off defects or problems, blaming it on shipping or just simply claiming no returns. I don't know, I just would not recommend a used gun from eBay as a person's first AEG because you'd be purchasing a used gun that you cannot see in person to check its condition and check for functionality. The seller could range from a little kid with no knowledge of AEGs or someone seasoned, so you don't know what you might be getting yourself into.

From the forums, it might be a different story since some sellers are more reputable by this community we have.

But yes, not eBay for a first-timer. If you get lucky good for you, sometimes it's like buying a from a boneyard.

So I've been interested in airsoft for a very long time but I've never gotten around to give it a serious go. I know a few friends of mine have played and enjoyed it and I'd like to get in on the action. The only airsoft guns I've worked with have been cheap, Walmart-sold, spring-powered shotguns that a buddy of mine had lying around.

I'd be starting off mostly in the woods or around our private residences, so I'd be doing a combination of CQB and close-mid range field with lots of trees. I'd like to have a versatile gun to handle both types of play. Assault rifles or SMGs would suit me fine as long as they're compact and easy to maneuver with. Although an assault rifle sounds like a good investment for field, something about wielding an ultra-compact SMG like an MP7 or MP9 sounds appealing to me. If I joined a team later on, I think I'd play a standard rifleman.

I'm not terribly picky on any specific model - I like having rail systems and would probably invest in a foregrip and some type of red dot sight. Though most players I see use a M4 or M16-like gun and frankly I'd like to be a little different. I wouldn't mind using an AK and playing some kind of OP4. I'd like to have a more modern gun in current use.

Since I'm new, I also want to try for a reliable brand and not have to worry about tweaking the internals around very much. It'd probably be a good skill to learn, but right now I'm just getting my feet wet. The FPS would have to be low enough to use in close quarters but high enough for longer ranges.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28609 (Gun: $275)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=33011(Mag x 2:$5)

KWA's are amazing internally and are THE most reliable aegs on the market.(TM may be reliable internally but what if you tripped and fell on the plastic body). They have excellent customer service and offer a 45 day warranty.

I know 275 is over your budget but evike has a deal going on where you get two magazines(normally $30) for only $5 if u purchase a KWA. Cheap airsoft products may seem good at first, but will cost you more in the long run.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=27642

This is if you don't like armalites, I know it's over budget but trust me, it's worth it

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=27642

This is if you don't like armalites, I know it's over budget but trust me, it's worth it

If that is over his budget, why would you recommend it then? You still have to factor in a battery since a KWA does not come with one. Along with good eye protection, boots, extra mags, and even a charger.

To the OP: G&G is a very good and reliable brand. You don't have a bad choice there my man. Looks like a nice starter gun IMO.

If you're looking for batteries, EAB sells great NiMH packs.

+1^

A great place to buy batteries. I have I think 3 or 4 of their packs that I purchased over 2 years ago. They all work flawless still. Plus, you are able to choose what connector you want! Great service at EAB.

Hello, I want to show you 4 guns which I think you, specifically, would be interested in.

The first one is the JG S.T.A.R. Dragon. It's a good field gun, shoots around 375 - 400FPS with .20g. This gun is the most unique airsoft gun I've ever seen, and I hear it feels great. The only thing is that it is a right handed gun, so if you're a lefty it is kind of uncomfortable. It runs at $170 at AirsoftGI.

Link: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3583

The second one I think you'd be particularly interested in is the Cyma CM028. It's a partially plastic/metal gun, with a faux wood stock, grip, and foregrip.

Shoots 375FPS with .20g. Runs at $106 at AirsoftGI. Also comes with a 600 round high capacity magazine. Fully metal, of course.

Link: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=1484

However, for some more money, you can upgrade to the Cyma CM042. It's completely real wood/metal. It's very heavy though, and shoots about 410FPS with .20g.

Link:http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3887

Also, the G&G Combat Machines is a respectable gun. The only thing is, it's an M16 which you particularly don't like. It shoots at 330 - 350FPS. It's a very popular gun. The gearbox is metal, even reinforced beyond that. Plus, it comes with a smart charger, so you don't fry your batteries. Also, a 1,600 mAH battery compared to the usual 1,100 mAH that comes with many guns.

One more recommendation is the VZ61 machine pistol. It's a little bigger than a pistol, but smaller than an SMG. It's good for CQB, since the FPS goes from 250 - 280. It's a good sidearm.

Goodluck, have fun airsofting bro.

Guest alberty
The first one is the JG S.T.A.R. Dragon. It's a good field gun, shoots around 375 - 400FPS with .20g. This gun is the most unique airsoft gun I've ever seen, and I hear it feels great. The only thing is that it is a right handed gun, so if you're a lefty it is kind of uncomfortable.

M4s are not ambidextrous to begin with...by the way, it's basically a JG M4 with a body kit. If you haven't tried it, why would you highly recommend it?

The second one I think you'd be particularly interested in is the Cyma CM028. It's a partially plastic/metal gun, with a faux wood stock, grip, and foregrip.[/url]

Considering the price range we're talking about here, I would not say this is a good recommendation. It is decent for those with a super tight budget, but here the OP can even go up to $250, so there's plenty of better choices. The CM.028, stock, is closer to the lower end of the spectrum.

Also, the G&G Combat Machines is a respectable gun. The only thing is, it's an M16 which you particularly don't like. It shoots at 330 - 350FPS. It's a very popular gun. The gearbox is metal, even reinforced beyond that. Plus, it comes with a smart charger, so you don't fry your batteries. Also, a 1,600 mAH battery compared to the usual 1,100 mAH that comes with many guns.

G&G Combat Machines don't include a charger or battery...I do not know why you are saying it comes with a smart charger and battery.

One more recommendation is the VZ61 machine pistol. It's a little bigger than a pistol, but smaller than an SMG. It's good for CQB, since the FPS goes from 250 - 280. It's a good sidearm.

OP needs a primary weapon right now, not a sidearm. Sidearms would be a whole another bunch of discussion for later, many more choices and requirements/restrictions would need to be considered instead of just openly suggesting any random.

M4s are not ambidextrous to begin with...by the way, it's basically a JG M4 with a body kit. If you haven't tried it, why would you highly recommend it?

Considering the price range we're talking about here, I would not say this is a good recommendation. It is decent for those with a super tight budget, but here the OP can even go up to $250, so there's plenty of better choices. The CM.028, stock, is closer to the lower end of the spectrum.

G&G Combat Machines don't include a charger or battery...I do not know why you are saying it comes with a smart charger and battery.

OP needs a primary weapon right now, not a sidearm. Sidearms would be a whole another bunch of discussion for later, many more choices and requirements/restrictions would need to be considered instead of just openly suggesting any random.

You can't sell a lot of people have the body kit that comes on the custom M4 know as the S.T.A.R., which makes it so unique. I recommend the gun because I was inbetween that or the Cyma CM028 as my first AEG, but I chose the Cyma because I like AK47's, and it came with a 600 round hi cap and was mostly metal/faux wood. Before I chose the Cyma, I read and watched videos for hours and hours before I finally came to my decision. I actually know a lot about that gun.

That particular link I linked to says that it comes with a smart charger. If you scroll down some, it claims that it comes with a smart charger, or at least did at the time I linked it.

If the OP is playing CQB, then that VZ61 can be used as a primary. It shoots low FPS which is good for CQB. It's also small and very maneuverable. Plus the drum mag makes it able to hold a bit more bb's, that's a very good weapon for CQB.

Anyways, you're trying to make it look like these guns all aren't good, but personally I really like these guns....

I have the perfect answer to this. Get this JG G36 G608-7:

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERM-JG-G36-1238.htm

Only about 150 dollars, it's an amazing deal. Out of the box it shoots 360-380 FPS and is deadly accurate up to about 120 feet. It shoots around 9-12 BBs a second, but you could easily amp it up to 20. I'd suggest getting a few midcap mags and a highcap or two. The internals are great and the body is sturdy ABS plastic. What makes this gun worth it: The rail system. The rail on this gun is worth EASILY 150+ dollars and it comes with the gun. So basically you're paying for the rail and getting the gun free. It's a great deal. It's not too expensive, and it works great. My best gun yet. Hope this helped! If you have any more questions, message me.

Guest alberty
Anyways, you're trying to make it look like these guns all aren't good, but personally I really like these guns....

I disagree. My point was that, each gun you suggested, I suggested that there are better choices available given the budget, and more versatile options given the budget. I did not try to bash each gun, but give reasons why I would not recommend it if a better choice is available.

The JG S.T.A.R. Dragon body kit is nice and unique, but so you're still basically using a JG M4. Many people can suggest something else as a starter M4, especially G&G Combat Machines as one example. With the body kit, you cannot add on accessories.

The CM.028 is good to have a cheap TM-clone AK platform, but the quality is lower as compared to other easily-available AKs in the price range. CM.0_ higher numbers will be nicer overall, such as the CM.042 as you mentioned.

The AEP Skorpion is an AEP--not great as an outdoor primary, and parts/mags are tough to buy. Limited battery options as well.

Umarex Ares G36C AEG from Wally World for around $100.00. I have many real military guns and airguns and this is my first Airsoft gun. Very high quality for the pricepoint, IMHO-Gearhead222

I disagree. My point was that, each gun you suggested, I suggested that there are better choices available given the budget, and more versatile options given the budget. I did not try to bash each gun, but give reasons why I would not recommend it if a better choice is available.

The JG S.T.A.R. Dragon body kit is nice and unique, but so you're still basically using a JG M4. Many people can suggest something else as a starter M4, especially G&G Combat Machines as one example. With the body kit, you cannot add on accessories.

The CM.028 is good to have a cheap TM-clone AK platform, but the quality is lower as compared to other easily-available AKs in the price range. CM.0_ higher numbers will be nicer overall, such as the CM.042 as you mentioned.

The AEP Skorpion is an AEP--not great as an outdoor primary, and parts/mags are tough to buy. Limited battery options as well.

The UTG M14 is actually a super good mid-line gun, I've had mine for 4 years and it still works better than my upgraded Classic Army m4; Furthermore, if you ever decide to, you can turn in into a long range DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle). This is the AEG I recommend to all new players.

Guest alberty
Umarex Ares G36C AEG from Wally World for around $100.00. I have many real military guns and airguns and this is my first Airsoft gun. Very high quality for the pricepoint, IMHO-Gearhead222

The Umarex ARES G36C isn't $100, it's about $280..

The UTG M14 is actually a super good mid-line gun, I've had mine for 4 years and it still works better than my upgraded Classic Army m4; Furthermore, if you ever decide to, you can turn in into a long range DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle). This is the AEG I recommend to all new players.

Are you sure about all? It's a long rifle, not easy for beginner players who are doing mostly CQB.

It's somewhat confusing, but Umarex sells the G36C Elite , which sells for around $280.00. They also sell the G36C AEG for around $100.00. Here's the link:

http://www.umarexusa.com/product/HK-G36C-A...-Gun,194,66.htm

Are you sure about all? It's a long rifle, not easy for beginner players who are doing mostly CQB.

Yup, the m14 is a little long for a lot of people, but any real guy can handle it like a champ; furthermore, it makes a great urban/CQBish sharpshooter rifle. Now that I think about it though, the CYMA m14 SOCOM is even better than the UTG, and shorter.

JG AUG, JG G36 SERIES or CYMA FULL METAL/REAL WOOD AK SERIES.

Guest alberty
It's somewhat confusing, but Umarex sells the G36C Elite , which sells for around $280.00. They also sell the G36C AEG for around $100.00. Here's the link:

http://www.umarexusa.com/product/HK-G36C-A...-Gun,194,66.htm

Okay I see. The $100 version is the LPEG or cheap AEG version, while the "Elite" $280 version is the licensed ARES version that is a good quality AEG. I would recommend to stay away from the $100 version.

you may want to look into the DoubleEagle AK47s.airsoft megastore has these little beasts for only 85 bucks and are compact, biul with plenty of metal,and are actualy suprisingly effective.

Eh, I think you can still do better than that given the budget that the OP has. At least a JG or SRC AK Beta...

Belive it or not, Im going to say grab a G&G UMG. I payed $240ish for mine. I use it in woodland and CQB, the thing is REALLY accurate and is a great build quality. Its really fast on a 8.4v and have a 540 high cap. Its really great! If you don't want to go with that, than maybe go with a g36k. The C would be too short for woodland (IMO) and the K will give you just that LITTLE bit more extra accuracy while still being compact for CQB (as its no bigger than an M4)

Belive it or not, Im going to say grab a G&G UMG. I payed $240ish for mine. I use it in woodland and CQB, the thing is REALLY accurate and is a great build quality. Its really fast on a 8.4v and have a 540 high cap. Its really great! If you don't want to go with that, than maybe go with a g36k. The C would be too short for woodland (IMO) and the K will give you just that LITTLE bit more extra accuracy while still being compact for CQB (as its no bigger than an M4)

If he were to get a G36, getting the K version really wouldn't do anything for accuracy. The change in accuracy would be pretty much nothing. And cutting off you few inches off your front barrel is defiantly a lot more realistic in CQB. Also, if you read his requirements closely, it says that he needs CQB for a forest. Doesn't make sense to me. but its his first gun not mine. I'd say go with either the JG G36c due to JG's great internals for the price. Next would be the GR16 Raider Long version, you get excellent internals for price, rail system, and cool blowback.

I wish my first AEG budget was 200...

If he were to get a G36, getting the K version really wouldn't do anything for accuracy. The change in accuracy would be pretty much nothing. And cutting off you few inches off your front barrel is defiantly a lot more realistic in CQB. Also, if you read his requirements closely, it says that he needs CQB for a forest. Doesn't make sense to me. but its his first gun not mine. I'd say go with either the JG G36c due to JG's great internals for the price. Next would be the GR16 Raider Long version, you get excellent internals for price, rail system, and cool blowback.

I wish my first AEG budget was 200...

Belay that!

Get this baby http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=5803