Koolor

Why do they say opening a marui and its never the same?

So I often heard people say open a marui gearbox and it will never be the same almost as if there is some magic to it, is this real or just a witch tale?

Is true, you can try it.

So I often heard people say open a marui gearbox and it will never be the same almost as if there is some magic to it, is this real or just a witch tale?

I think it's mainly superstition. I believe the reasoning behind it is that if one takes apart the gearbox, when it is reassembled, it is likely that things might be slightly off in one way or another, leading to altered performance or parts breaking prematurely. To be honest, though, a skilled technician should have no issues putting it together just fine.

Guest alberty

Half and half I suppose. The Marui "magic" just refers to the good factory setup in terms of decent shimming, greasing, and etc. So if you choose to disassemble the gearbox, you are likely going to alter the setup. Maybe you'll screw a screw in more tightly or maybe get the motor height wrong, just any little thing will be deviating from the factory setup even if you don't change anything like you just wanted to look inside of the gearbox.

It's not a major deal if you open it up, alter nothing, and then reassemble it properly. It's just that a lot of beginners who have a TM think it's a good idea to open the gearbox without learning how to do it well, and then they screw up something.

And like any AEG, even if you accidentally alter something in a minor way, it's not likely to make a significantly negative effect on your gun's longevity, unless maybe you're misplacing too many shims or something.

I've opened CA, CYMA, and well, but so far never touched a TM... x) at first I thought you meant that all TM's are different, and you can see it if you open them up... I was like "how the **** does that work?!?" I understand now =p

If you are an incompetent tech, then yes, you could potentially ruin ANY gearbox by opening.

Whenever I open a marui gearbox it closes back up in better condition than before.

This^

I find that Marui gearboxes can be improved from factory when opened. They actually could use a decent tune up from the factory.

Marui gearboxes allow a great margin of error due to their low power, pot metal gears, plastic bushings etc etc... They work very well and reliably at stock power levels. It's when you push them past .98J that you will see problems with Marui or any gear box for that matter.

I am more than incompetent when opening gear boxes.. It just takes me 5 or so hours (and 4+ hands) to reassemble them... So far the only tip I've gotten is "it gets easier with practice." one of the MANY reasons I use gas guns.

This^

I find that Marui gearboxes can be improved from factory when opened. They actually could use a decent tune up from the factory.

Marui gearboxes allow a great margin of error due to their low power, pot metal gears, plastic bushings etc etc... They work very well and reliably at stock power levels. It's when you push them past .98J that you will see problems with Marui or any gear box for that matter.

That is very true, TM definitely don't make them with upgrades in mind, very soft gears. Their motors are decent though, the stock EG700 motor in my MP5K easily pulls an M120 spring at approx. 26rps with standard gears and 11.1 li-po. It's alot better than the Aim Top highspeed motor I got anyway...