Sign in to follow this  
ravenger

For all you Enlisted Guys Out There

Our chain of command just put out that all of our stuff has to be in ACU. A lot of guys were getting multicam stuff in case we went to Afghanistan or because they thought it looked cool or they thought the Army was going to switch over, but now everything has to be in ACU. No personal plate carriers, too. Something most people don't realize is the average soldier knows little about quality equipment, so a lot of people were buying their own plate carriers (usually condor crap from Ranger Joes) without realizing that their ESAPI plates need to be used in conjunction with soft armor. People were getting killed overseas and their families couldn't get their SGLI because its negated if your killed wearing non-issue armor.

Edited by DocPeligro

When I deployed, 05-06, they allowed us to do cosmetic modifications. Mainly rails, optics, and holsters. A couple bought their own rails and most of us opted to use a serpa or cross draw style holster, mainly for comfort and usability.

When I deployed, 05-06, they allowed us to do cosmetic modifications. Mainly rails, optics, and holsters. A couple bought their own rails and most of us opted to use a serpa or cross draw style holster, mainly for comfort and usability.

My chain of command nixed the customization of weapon systems too for similar reasons they don't want soldiers buying their own personal gear - one, they want soldiers to have faith in their issue gear and to not think they had to spend hundreds of dollars on their own equipment, and second Joe usually knows crap about what is quality and not, and usually goes with the most attractive price tag - you'd have guys replacing their ACOGs with Walmart 3-9x20 weaver scopes because "it turns it into a sniper rifle now with all this magnification!" But the cheap piece of crap scope couldn't hold zero and would break from riding in the back of a gun truck. Saw people replace their KAC rails out for cheap plastic TAPCO handguards, again, nearly impossible to hold zero on your PEQ with something that isn't clamped down like a KAC RAS.

Personally, if we go again, I'll probably put a free-floating Daniel Defense Omega rail system on my M4 because it looks similar enough to a KAC rail while free floating the barrel.

Doc stop spreading that SGLI rumor :censored2: that it doesn't get paid if you aren't doing blah, blah, blah. SGLI gets paid without exception.

Your SGLI can be voided, its on a case by case basis. If they look and find you did something that increased or even caused your death then they can void it.

But besides that, a lot of guys in my unit buy and use their own gear. Mainly because supply sucks and we don't get half the stuff we need. but its usually small things like mag pouches or LBV's

Doc stop spreading that SGLI rumor :censored2: that it doesn't get paid if you aren't doing blah, blah, blah. SGLI gets paid without exception.

Like I said on Gearsoc - my unit had the distinction of having a :pain: ton of KIA in Iraq

"Over the course of 18 months, the 600 soldiers of the 1-184th Infantry experienced almost every high and low a band of brothers could, from great distinction to shocking heartbreak. 17 1-184th Infantry soldiers were killed in action and nearly 100 wounded. The 184th Infantry was the battalion whose commander, Col. William W. Wood, became the highest-ranking soldier to die in action. But no National Guard unit saw as much combat as the 184th Infantry."

people wearing personal plate carriers with no soft armor got killed and because of it my unit put out that we couldn't wear it and that the people's families weren't getting SGLI because of it. I guess I got bad info but people wearing :censored2: gear and getting killed because of it has sort of stuck with me. Sorry again Fish

were allowed to wear a personal chest rig/vest, but we have to use the issued IBA/IOTV, personally for my kit I don't even use a vest, I have my mag pouches and whatnot molle'ed straight onto my IOTV, then I just throw my camelbak on and ready to rock. I don't like the extra vest ontop of my IOTv, it moves around too much. I wish we could wear plate carriers but no such luck.

sorry for the revival of an old thread, didnt read the dates :P

Edited by tooloudalex

we weren't aloud to have anything self bought, but my CO overlooked the fact that we had better carriers, me and my team had PIG carriers, no soft armor. im sorry to say, soft armor is useless against 7.62 from any distance and frag from close. only thing that stops anything is a Sappi plate and if you don't have those in, your an idiot. our carriers put the plate farther up, held closer to the body with plenty of padding, also support side plates.

I owned my entire load out except for the sappies in my carrier, I had my own mich helmet even haha.

the issued carriers were Eagle, but they suck imo. our helmets are outdated and twice the weight of a mich