Star_folder

Winter Build Off 2012 Discussion Thread.

Entries Thread

Alright, you guys know the drill, I need 10 judges, I have 1. That means 9 of you should PM me telling me why you want to be a judge, or why you think you are qualified to be a judge for this winter's build off.

I am going to try a few new/different things this winter. I've always felt that the Build Off competitions were supposed to be a display of creativity over who has the best gun. Whether it's creative making a gun with a small budget (have you heard the story of the guy who traded a paperclip for stuff, ending up with a house?) Or you have access to a factory and build a 1:1 scale airsoft tank, the idea was to showcase your work, and to not strive to be the best. I think that should be remembered during this year's build off.

And, because of that, I'm keeping most of the category awards secret. The judges will know them, but that's it. You won't be able to "enter" for any specific award.

Now, for some tips on what I'll be asking the judges to look for when judging entries, and some tips on what you should do when presenting your gun/s

The Gun - This is the judgement of the gun itself, you're upgrades, parts, pieces, mods, performance, etc.

Presentation - This is what the thread looks like, are there pictures, upgrade list, history, etc. Show some value in your work, don't just slap some pictures into a thread and be done with it.

Effort - The work you put into showing the gun. Audacity tests, range tests, videos, pictures, performance, etc.

Now, obviously, there will be an award for the Best Replica, the Best Presentation, and the Best Effort, and Best All Around. But that's all the awards you'll be getting from me.

Rules:

1. One gun per post.

You may enter any gun you wish, whether it's 1 month old, or 10 years old, if it's stock, or completely upgraded, if it's just average. Anyone and everyone can win something given that they put enough effort into it. This build off will not be specifically based on how much money you dump into something.

You may enter a gun that you have entered in a previous build off. The only exception is if that gun won any sort of award. Just to be sure...

You may not enter a gun that has previously won an award

2. A single person can enter multiple guns, yes, that means you can double post BUT ONLY IN THE ENTRIES THREAD.

3. Judges may not enter their guns.

4. You may edit your post however you see fit.

If you wish to remove your entry, or you need to edit it and no longer can, Either I, or SHWELL can help you. Please message either one of us with the subject title "Build Off Assistance" and we'll get to you when we can. Also, please only message one of us.

5. This build off will conclude on March 20th, the first day of spring.

6. All Discussion of entries is to be in this thread. All non entries posts will be deleted from the entries thread.

7. All other forum rules apply.

List of Judges:

Airsoftkid295

SHWELL

Felix of AJAX

Eat My M4

RBairsofter

Cheese Man

sniperx2s

Zenocide

thestig_1201

turtletech

Alright, Again, this is the discussion thread, so talk away. We're kinda pressed for time, So I'll be getting the entries thread up in a few minutes. Let me know what you think of the rules, if you want to be a judge, or if you have a new idea on something that should be changed. I'm all ears.

Star, add me to the list of people to PM for edit or delete assistance....

Please add "Build off Assistance" to the title of PM's...

Please remember, Star is doing this out of the kindness of his heart (tear), lol, so please follow the rules and make it so that it is something he feels should continue..

Very cool. I've been working on a project with one of my AEG's since November, just ordered the final part yesterday. Can't wait to enter it into the build off.

Question Star, I have an AEG that I entered into the last build off. It is exactly the same since last time, but I built a brand new second upper (upper, RIS, Barrel, Silencer, Houp, bucking and inner barrel) for it to make it into a more adaptive weapon system (2 separate uppers of slightly different lengths for different games). Can I enter that into the spring build off, or no since it's basically the same weapon as before?

Very cool. I've been working on a project with one of my AEG's since November, just ordered the final part yesterday. Can't wait to enter it into the build off.

Question Star, I have an AEG that I entered into the last build off. It is exactly the same since last time, but I built a brand new second upper (upper, RIS, Barrel, Silencer, Houp, bucking and inner barrel) for it to make it into a more adaptive weapon system (2 separate uppers of slightly different lengths for different games). Can I enter that into the spring build off, or no since it's basically the same weapon as before?

Yes, you can still enter it, and thanks for reminding me, I need to edit the rules so that people can't enter guns that have previously won.

this should be fun, lots of cool guns

Edit: where do the guns go? not that I am turning in a gun but so I can see the guns, also star, can you pm with a prize list?

Edited by Airsoftkid295

Airsoftkid, this is not a contest for Prizes (Not yet at least).. The guns are lited in a separate theread, and the judges go over them all and award points as earned. This is a bragging rights kind of Buildoff.

Airsoftkid, this is not a contest for Prizes (Not yet at least).. The guns are lited in a separate theread, and the judges go over them all and award points as earned. This is a bragging rights kind of Buildoff.

opps, I was tired when I read the thread, sorry, still can't wait to judge!

Ok everybody, I want your opinion now: Should I do a complete POS attempt, or do you want me to judge again? :) I will decide by tomorrow if I want to Judge Star. :)

GO for it! Lol I love POS!

Wish I could be a judge but I'm actually entering this time! :) Hopefully going to enter ViolentWind's G&P WOC which is SPF to me right now. Really hope the deal goes through because I have some major plans for it!

Edited by GamingNow

Alright, you guys know the drill, I need 10 judges, I have 1. That means 9 of you should PM me telling me why you want to be a judge, or why you think you are qualified to be a judge for this winter's build off.

I am going to try a few new/different things this winter. I've always felt that the Build Off competitions were supposed to be a display of creativity over who has the best gun. Whether it's creative making a gun with a small budget (have you heard the story of the guy who traded a paperclip for stuff, ending up with a house?) Or you have access to a factory and build a 1:1 scale airsoft tank, the idea was to showcase your work, and to not strive to be the best. I think that should be remembered during this year's build off.

And, because of that, I'm keeping most of the category awards secret. The judges will know them, but that's it. You won't be able to "enter" for any specific award.

Now, for some tips on what I'll be asking the judges to look for when judging entries, and some tips on what you should do when presenting your gun/s

The Gun - This is the judgement of the gun itself, you're upgrades, parts, pieces, mods, performance, etc.

Presentation - This is what the thread looks like, are there pictures, upgrade list, history, etc. Show some value in your work, don't just slap some pictures into a thread and be done with it.

Effort - The work you put into showing the gun. Audacity tests, range tests, videos, pictures, performance, etc.

Now, obviously, there will be an award for the Best Replica, the Best Presentation, and the Best Effort, and Best All Around. But that's all the awards you'll be getting from me.

Rules:

1. One gun per post.

You may enter any gun you wish, whether it's 1 month old, or 10 years old, if it's stock, or completely upgraded, if it's just average. Anyone and everyone can win something given that they put enough effort into it. This build off will not be specifically based on how much money you dump into something.

You may enter a gun that you have entered in a previous build off. The only exception is if that gun won any sort of award. Just to be sure...

You may not enter a gun that has previously won an award

2. A single person can enter multiple guns, yes, that means you can double post BUT ONLY IN THE ENTRIES THREAD.

3. Judges may not enter their guns.

4. You may edit your post however you see fit.

If you wish to remove your entry, or you need to edit it and no longer can, Either I, or SHWELL can help you. Please message either one of us with the subject title "Build Off Assistance" and we'll get to you when we can. Also, please only message one of us.

5. This build off will conclude on March 20th, the first day of spring.

6. All Discussion of entries is to be in this thread. All non entries posts will be deleted from the entries thread.

7. All other forum rules apply.

List of Judges:

Airsoftkid295

SHWELL

Felix of AJAX

Eat My M4

RBairsofter

Alright, Again, this is the discussion thread, so talk away. We're kinda pressed for time, So I'll be getting the entries thread up in a few minutes. Let me know what you think of the rules, if you want to be a judge, or if you have a new idea on something that should be changed. I'm all ears.

There should be a budget category too! Some of us don't have a ton to put into a gun, but I would like to enter an M14. Maybe I'll get it sooner, and work on it a little bit. If anyone else is interested in having this as a category I would be happy to do this. If it is not a category, I think I will ask if I can judge, if possible.

There should be a budget category too! Some of us don't have a ton to put into a gun, but I would like to enter an M14. Maybe I'll get it sooner, and work on it a little bit. If anyone else is interested in having this as a category I would be happy to do this. If it is not a category, I think I will ask if I can judge, if possible.

See, that's the whole reason why I didn't post up any sort of budget category. This past summer, people got too focused on the awards, too focused on making the cheapest rifle to preform as best as they could. Now, I mean, that's great and all, but just about everyone was so absorbed with the budget category that other categories were overlooked. That's why I've done away with them. I think people should build the gun they want, and then enter it in for it to be awe'd over by everyone else.

Agree with what S-F said.. We talked about it quite a bit after the last build-off.. Too much focus was put into "Which Category"...

And also, please put effort into your Entrance Post.. Believe it or not, this plays a huge part in the outcome. Give us as much USEFUL information as you can.. Post Pics, Detailed Descriptions, Parts List, Video (If avail), basically anything that will give the judges the best opportunity to actually Judge the gun for what it is. Back up your claims.... a few pics and a parts/ugrade list does not mean good/great performance.

Here is some advice for taking pictures for you entry:

When you take pictures of your guns, make sure those pictures are clear pictures. Avoid Cell-Phone pictures at all costs (With few exceptions like the Iphone). You want your entry to display your gun correctly. When taking the picture take from a few different angles. Lighting is the key factor for good quality pictures. Natural outdoor lighting is some of the best. Make sure the gun you are entering is visible. Don't have other guns in the picture that could cause confusion. Also, Having gear, gas cans, mags, scopes, BB's, shotgun shells, etc can add a lot to a picture.

Here is some advice if your going to take a video:

Don't take a bad quality video in your bedroom with your gun sitting on your bed. Set you camera on a tripod. Find a wall that is clear, Stand/Sit infront of that wall. Don't have you kids/siblings/wife/husband screaming in the background. My advice for videos is to take shots of your gun outside. Then record a voice over talking about your gun. Plan out what you are going to say on a script.

You can describe the externals all you want, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Good luck to everyone. I will sit back and judge your entry's ;)

Edited by RBairsofter

See, that's the whole reason why I didn't post up any sort of budget category. This past summer, people got too focused on the awards, too focused on making the cheapest rifle to preform as best as they could. Now, I mean, that's great and all, but just about everyone was so absorbed with the budget category that other categories were overlooked. That's why I've done away with them. I think people should build the gun they want, and then enter it in for it to be awe'd over by everyone else.

That isn't what I intended when I thought about it. I don't mean the cheapest gun made the best, but maybe also making sure that some of the awards go out to budget guns, for people who don't have the money to get a $350 gun. I am just worried about much more expensive guns winning every award. It would be sad to not be able to compete. I really do want to.

Agree with what S-F said.. We talked about it quite a bit after the last build-off.. Too much focus was put into "Which Category"...

And also, please put effort into your Entrance Post.. Believe it or not, this plays a huge part in the outcome. Give us as much USEFUL information as you can.. Post Pics, Detailed Descriptions, Parts List, Video (If avail), basically anything that will give the judges the best opportunity to actually Judge the gun for what it is. Back up your claims.... a few pics and a parts/ugrade list does not mean good/great performance.

Thank you for your advice. I have a little list of the things I should be sure to include.

That is 3-4 pictures.

One video to explain the gun, with quality audio if available.

Complete Parts List

Complete Mods List (I think mods will make up a majority of my entry this year, due to limited cash. I can barely afford the gun.)

Good Pictures taken outdoors.

Also, what should I include in the picture if I don't have a lot? My friend has an old BDU from about 5-10 years ago. It is in good condition due to it being from his father's time in service. I can probably afford paint to do a nice paint job on it. I can borrow a couple bucks from my friend to get a new body for the gun, seeing how cheap it is. It will be painted because of its bad looking ACU. It is okay, but I don't like ACU, and it is a little too shiny. Anything else I should put in the photos to really make them look good?

You don't have to include anything in your picture necessarily.

Here are the links to the past Build-Offs

2011 Summer Build-Off - http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Summer-B...&p=18561106

2011 Winter Build-Off - http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/OFFICIAL...p;mode=threaded

2010 Build-Off ( This was the first if I am correct. My brother BlueCheese was the head of the Judging board) - http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/AEG-BUIL...CI-t175133.html

Thank you for your advice. I have a little list of the things I should be sure to include.

That is 3-4 pictures.

One video to explain the gun, with quality audio if available.

Complete Parts List

Complete Mods List (I think mods will make up a majority of my entry this year, due to limited cash. I can barely afford the gun.)

Good Pictures taken outdoors.

Also, what should I include in the picture if I don't have a lot? My friend has an old BDU from about 5-10 years ago. It is in good condition due to it being from his father's time in service. I can probably afford paint to do a nice paint job on it. I can borrow a couple bucks from my friend to get a new body for the gun, seeing how cheap it is. It will be painted because of its bad looking ACU. It is okay, but I don't like ACU, and it is a little too shiny. Anything else I should put in the photos to really make them look good?

I was actually wondering what you would suggest adding into the photo.

did somebody say Build off?! what?

** G13 swoops down from his lurking vulture perch**

:a-salute:

I like where this is going gentlemen. Hopefully these rules tweeks will get more people to enter a gun.

It's bragging rights what does anyone have to lose?? enter the guns let's see what you guys are making out there!

Goglo13 makes small pictures that contest winners can put in their sig to boast. Also, all you have to do is search previous buildoff threads to find the winners.

Yes, I do that ^ BUT it is still pretty much bragging rights.

Full metal PSG-1 build?/// aaand GO

That isn't what I intended when I thought about it. I don't mean the cheapest gun made the best, but maybe also making sure that some of the awards go out to budget guns, for people who don't have the money to get a $350 gun. I am just worried about much more expensive guns winning every award. It would be sad to not be able to compete. I really do want to.

Don't worry about it. Just take my word that everyone who enters will be able to win an award, no matter how much you spent on your gun. I'm not saying everyone will win an award, but, every entry will be able to win an award. Don't worry about competing against against those super expensive guns, you'll still have your chance to win.

lol, welcome back G13. I can't wait to see what you have to enter into the build off this go 'round.

The GoLgo returns to win another build-off ;) Good to see you.

On another note: If you are entering the contest, I suggest you type out your post and picture etc. in a Word Document. It will detect your grammar issues.

I think we need a Airsoft Grammar Abbey. Jus' Sayin'

I think I will be entering this, I finally have a gun I put a little (emphasis on "little") bit of effort into externally and I like it a lot. I also have two custom guns that I am currently working on, and maybe they will be finished on time.

Alright, we have 10 judges, I'll be posting up the entries thread soon.

The Entries Thread :D

Would you mind adding the link to the entries thread to the first post of this thread? It makes it easier to find both of the threads if they aren't both being actively kept alive.

Maybe I'll get around to making an attempt at an entry this time around... it's unlikely, but hey, it could happen. :a-surrender:

Would you mind adding the link to the entries thread to the first post of this thread? It makes it easier to find both of the threads if they aren't both being actively kept alive.

Maybe I'll get around to making an attempt at an entry this time around... it's unlikely, but hey, it could happen. :a-surrender:

Thhhaaaaat is a very good point, thanks for reminding me about it.

Just saw Renegadecows China Lake make it into the contest. That is a winner for some category for sure. A true masterpiece. I drooled over each new entry as he built it!

I had actually already watched his video. On my judging list, that straw Chinese hat gives him 10+ build-off bucks!!! Congratz :a-thumbsup:

In all seriousness - Great job on the China Lake. Couldn't have made something like that myself!! Also, Airborne, your guns look superb. Sounds like they are great performers!