Star_folder

Winter Build Off 2012 Discussion Thread.

Alright, 8 judges have responded, still need those last two. So far, this has been the best year yet. I usually have to go hunting for extra people. Well done guys.

Normally, normally, after about 7 judges, the sores are far enough apart that the rest of the judge wouldn't have enough effect to change people's places. However, this time, first and second place are 0.03 points apart, so we still need those last few judges to answer in.

Renegadecow vs. Kill Bucket musta been a hell of a hard competition.

I don't expect to get anything, but I had fun racing against the clock to get my carbine-pistol done in time.

And seriously, if the China Lake doesn't get ANY award, it'll be a sign of the Apocalypse.

Alright, 8 judges have responded, still need those last two. So far, this has been the best year yet. I usually have to go hunting for extra people. Well done guys.

Normally, normally, after about 7 judges, the sores are far enough apart that the rest of the judge wouldn't have enough effect to change people's places. However, this time, first and second place are 0.03 points apart, so we still need those last few judges to answer in.

Sorry about that Star. I been really focused on Minecraft lately. I'll get right to it. Again, sorry.

I sent in my judgment card...

Sorry it took so long.. I judged and rejudged again.. Wanted to make sure I wasnt in a bad mood when I finally submitted my results. Star, thank you for making it as easy as possible..

Great Job Everyone! I must say, Drkdrgn. Your Guns are. Pure. %100. Full HeartedLy. HOTT and SEXY. Nuf' Said. Can I have one? =)) Please?

And Killbucket and the China Lake were awesome. Great stuff peoples. It was hard to judge.

Wow, I can't believe it. Truly, I'm shocked. This is the first time EVERY original judge answered, and sent in their votes. Mad Props to each and everyone of you. You don't know how awesome that is, not having to go hunting for non biased members to fill in gaps. Thank you again. You're the reason the results are going to be posted weeks earlier than they normally are.

Before we get to the results, let me explain how I did it this go round.

I split each entry into 6 numerical categories. Each judge filled out each number. The averages were taken, and totals found. Like I said, 6 different numbers for each entry.

Externals - Judge the quality of the externals of the gun on a 0-10 scale.

Internals - Judge the quality of the internals on a 0-10 scale.

Post - Judge the quality of the post on a 0-10 scale.

Customization - Judge the customization of the build on a 0-10 scale.

Overall - Judge the overall impression of the build on a 0-10 scale.

Extra - 1-5 points that are added on top of the average.

To find the totals, I averaged the first 5 numbers together, and then added the extra on top of that number. That means that each number is on a 0-15 scale. The Extra category was something special that I decided to add this year. The reason being is because you can't always put everything in a special category. Sometimes you've got those extra special builds, and while they rank lowly on the categories, the extra points can still be given to make them shine where they should. Or, they are there to balance out different builds, basically, just whatever the judges saw fit to add points, they would add points. The judges used them exactly as I intended, and I think it turned out for the best.

Now, for the results:

Airborne101 - Classic Army "Not so CA" M15a4 Custom - 9.54

Airborne101 - Classic Army M15a4 Carbine & G&P M203 - 9.02

Renegadecow - China Lake 40mm Pump-Action Grenade Launcher - 12.42

Adman234 - Full Metal Tokyo Marui Desert Eagle - 7.71

Lefse - Tokyo Marui MP5K - 6.62

Lefse - Cyma AK-47 CQB Frankenstein - 6.12

Killbucket - MG 08/15 - 9.94

Short/Stack - Classic Army M15A4 X-Series CQB Carbine - 12.15

drkdrgn - G36 DMR - 10.16

drkdrgn - G&P Defender/Polarstar - 10.50

drkdrgn - CQB Custom - 9.09

Killbucket - BFG9000 - 8.40

Verisimilitude - Limcat Wildcat Perfect Sight - 11.96

jcbfrntz - DE M3S Shotgun - 9.52

GamingNow - GBBR M4 - 10.58

ELIJAH102 - M4 - 7.57

fcma172 - Scratch Built M4 Carbine - 11.29

ACE of SPADES11 - Classic Army M15A4 - 7.40

MotorMouth93 - SCAR-H - 8.94

Dmitri Kalashnikov - Mammoth Carbine Mr. 1 - "Noelle" - 8.99

The Gun with the best Externals is tied between:

Renegadecow's China Lake 40mm Pump-Action Grenade Launcher

Short/Stack's Classic Army M15A4 X-Series CQB Carbine

Both with an 8.90/10

The Gun with the best Internals is:

Verisimilitude's Limcat Wildcat Perfect Sight

With an 8.90/10

Ignoring that, Airborne101's Classic Army "Not so CA" M15a4 Custom comes in second with an 8.5/10

The Best Post Goes to:

With an 8.90/10

The Most Custom Gun goes to:

With a 10/10

But, because that's totally unfair, Second and Third place:

Killbucket's MG 08/15 with a 9.60/10

Dmitri Kalashnikov's Mammoth Carbine Mr. 1 - "Noelle" with a 9.30/10.

The Best Overall Gun goes to:

Again, both of them, with an 8.70/10 this time.

If you ignore those two, Verisimilitude's Limcat Wildcat Perfect Sight comes in at 8.60/10.

Lastly, the Highest Marked Builds Are:

Renegadecow's China Lake 40mm Pump-Action Grenade Launcher was the highest rated at 12.42/15

Short/Stack's Classic Army M15A4 X-Series CQB Carbine came in second with a 12.15/15

Verisimilitude's Limcat Wildcat Perfect Sight came in third with a 11.96/15

Now, those are just the stats. It's hard to say that each one of these are the definitive winners. It seems all the judges were of like minds for them. However, I do have several honorable mentions before we wrap up this Build Off.

jcbfrntz's DE M3S Shotgun received quite a few of the extra points, simply because it was so much more unique compared to all the other AEGs that were entered in the build off.

Renegadecow's China Lake 40mm Pump-Action Grenade Launcher did dominate the competition, ranking at 1st or 2nd in almost every category. The reason for this can be summed up by what one of the judges had to say about it:

You took the time to not only build something, but build it at a level of functionality to be a marketable product. To me this shows you as a true airsoft fanatic!

fcma172's Scratch Built M4 Carbine ranked quite up there, but was just barely beat out in every category.

All of drkdrgn's builds ranked fairly highly, but again, were just beaten out by the competition.

I also think that something should be said about Verisimilitude's Limcat Wildcat Perfect Sight. It was one of two pistols, however, it was able to hold it's own against all the other crazy, unique builds of this build off. It just goes to show you, you don't need an AEG to win something.

Well, I could go on and on about all the different numbers, stats, and comments on the different entries. If you want to know something specific, feel free to PM me.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who participated. This has been one of the most competitive competitions yet, with every single entry scoring highly in at least one category. Everyone did a great job, and there were some truly amazing entries. I can't wait to see what the Summer Build Off has in store.

This concludes the 2012 Winter Build Off.
Edited by Star_folder

4th overall and second best Armalite. I can live with that. :D

It's quite funny really, the same gun essentially scored very low in the last build off. The only difference this time around was the second complete upper, but it really changes the gun from another M4 into a modular weapon system.

I really hope I can get my Ika Zuchi up to speed for the next build off. That thing is quite special.

I would like to give a shout to Airborne for posting pics of actual shooting/performance test. I think only 2 entries had anything related to shooting results. or was it 3.. 2 of which were Airborne's.

Good job everyone.. And Star just to mention before someon else does. Vers's pistol wasnt the only one, the Desert Eagle was in there as well.

I look forward to the Summer build off.. Not sure if I will entoer or Judge.. I may just enter, something tells me there will be double the entries for the summer.

I'm just glad this contest pushed me to finally take pictures of my gun! :D

I perhaps should have waited until I installed that new bucking, because it made the gun so much more consistent/accurate than the old, worn out stock bucking it would have made for an interesting part of my entry; alas I did not. The only thing I truly cared about were the externals score, since that is all I really did, so I wish I could somehow see what I scored for that lol.

Rightfully so the China Lake takes first place and the quote by one of the judges sums it up perfectly. Defiantly a good competition. Hopefully we will see more pistols and AK's in the Summer Build Off. I will probably judge the next one as I highly doubt I will have anything to enter by then.

<AT> Drkdrgn - I just wanted to say since you didnt win a category - All your guns were awesome!!! Great Job on them, It was fun to look at them. Now..Can I have one? ;)

<AT> Airborne101 - Your guns were both great. Very simple on the outside but RIPPED on the inside, Great job.

<AT> Renegade - Great job bro. Your China Lake was amazing, I think you should try selling the plans to a company =).

<AT> Versi - Your Limecat was awesome, Great Job!

Thanks you guys for participating, Thanks and good job to all the other Judges. Also, thanks SF for all of your hard work! Can't wait till the summer build off!

Edited by RBairsofter

Third-most custom gun? I'm actually shocked I was even MENTIONED. I figured both of Killbucket's would fill both #2 and the #3 ranks.

Congratz to you RC, for stealing the show and making something awesome yet able to be mass-produced! Gives me a new standard to work towards in future build-offs.

I think you should try selling the plans to a company =)

Thanks! And I will, but not just yet. Still monkeying around with it in making it more efficient. Just today I was able to do some modifications which increased the grenade length tolerance from 94-96mm to 94-102mm which means I can now use a much larger variety of rounds from Vanaras, SHS, and slug grenades among others.

First, a big thanks to Star folder for organizing it and having it run so smoothly and efficiently. Way to go!

Second, honored to come in not too far behind the great fabulous builds by Renegadecow and Short/Stack.

With that in mind, let me just put in a small plug for Captain KK and Prog4. Nova arguably makes the best 1911 kits (rumored to be OEM'd by Prime), and I'm firmly convinced that the Prog4 ones are the best 2011 kits. Captain KK OEMs for Airsoft Surgeon, but the AS kits are often much more expensive. These days, they also go with the new design of outer barrel: it doesn't tilt like the older ones did, and as real steel do, but it's more accurate, and it doesn't get caught on the ribbing on the upper inside of the slide. KK's service is also second to none: the shipping is very reasonable (lower than just about anywhere else), and every order I've made has literally shipped out the very next day.

Also, while I'm at it, let me say that doing a 1911 or a 2011 build from scratch with no donor gun is not for the faint of heart. Each and every part *can* be acquired separately, but there's certainly no one-stop-shopping, there are more fiddly little parts than you think, and a few of them are very hard to source. I'm doing a very different new build right now, much sleeker and a bit retro, and I just bought a hi-capa as a donor without even considering the alternative.

Let summer roll on!

I have not had time to weigh in on this yet, due to a heavy course load. I just want to say to all the competitors, as this is my second time judging, I feel that even though there was less guns this time, the whole feel of the build off was very much more high end, and smoother. All of the guns were very tidy, and would definitely be stars at their fields. I would kill to have any of the guns here.

To Star: Thank you. You really improved the scoring systems, and made it way easier to judge. Also, by not giving any categories, you had a wider variety of guns, in my opinion.

To Everybody: Fear me. Planning to do the summer competition. :) Watch for it. :)

Well, I'm glad to hear that everyone liked the new judging system so much. I guess we'll just have to wait for the Summer Build Off now to see what new stuff will be entered.

It'll probably start up around the first day of summer, so late June. And then it'll end on the last day of summer, Sept. 21st. So those are the dates to look out for if you want to judge, or if you want to enter your stuff.

Sorry for being late on this, I have been really busy lately! :a-shocked:

They should be within sig/avatar pixel regulations. So winners, just copy and paste the code. It has unlimited bandwidth.

If I made any mistakes or need to make pixel adjustments etc etc... Just shoot me a message and I will fix it. It's kinda late here in Japan and I may be a little out of it right now.

Good job on all of the entires!!

Judges great job on the judging and for the timely responses.

Star and Shwell, you guys rock :a-salute:

DSC_0216-3.jpg

IMG_2338-2-2.jpg

Limcat035-1.jpg

DSC_0216-2.jpg

IMG_2342-2.jpg

IMG_2338-2-1.jpg

DSC_0213-1.jpg

IMG_2342-1.jpg

DSC_0216-1.jpg

Limcat034.jpg

I'm glad to see that the Buildoffs have been going great! If only I had more time I'd love to organize it again. I plan on becoming more active with ASF again in the near future.

Premed is a b***h.

I am sure the summer Build Off will be even bigger.. And if we can maintain this level of support it should continue to get bigger and bigger.

I have so many guns I want to enter.. But I must pace myself..

Star you can count on my help from here on out though.. This is one of the few Internet categories that goes fairly smooth compared to other things I have been a part of.. Still trying to gather swag for these contests..