Sign in to follow this  
gearhead222

Recommendations for Tactical Gloves?

Can't comment too much on what gloves, but I've heard excellent things about Oakley SI, Mechanix, and Wiley X. I've heard of other gloves, but I can't remember the manufacturers. I own a replica set of Oakley SI gloves and I like them so much that I'm considering getting real ones even though I would almost use them exclusivly for airsoft.

Half finger or full finger depends on the user preference. I personally like full finger gloves to protect me from when I have to handle terrain or obstacles. I suggest cutting a slit about mid-finger length on the gloves and running your fingers through to get the best of both worlds.

I just use these mechanix gloves in coyote tan. The work as far as keeping a good grip on the weapon and protection against stuff when I'm playing outdoors. As far as protecting you from BBs. They don't do much, I've been hit in the hand a few times (mostly the freakin pinky, don't know how that happened so many times) and it hurts but not for very long. I don't like those Oakley SI "assault". I hate the way they fit and they are crap quality for what you pay for them.

http://www.mechanix.com/automotive/the-original-glove

As far as "tactical" gloves go. You honestly don't need those bulky :censored2: things man. I'd rather have dexterity over "super 1337 protection" haha. I had some of those Oakley assault gloves and just didn't like how big they made your hand with that kevlar reinforced knuckle. They just look cool, that's all.

Edited by 2006sport

Guest alberty

Gloves like Oakley SI or Factory Pilot whatever are good for real combat scenarios, but for airsoft they may not be as comfortable as you could go for. I personally own a replica of the SI's as well, and I found them fine, so the real ones should be better. The material used in tactical/combat-oriented gloves are great for protection related to combat specifically, but if you don't need the thickness and padding, you could go for something like Mechanix. I personally like paintball gloves for airsoft.

Oakley Pilot fingerless gloves (ACM) are what I use now, and I love them. The best thing about them is the wrist support. I love fingerless gloves, I'll take the chance of getting shot in my fragile fingers. The only gloves I wore before these were fingerless paintball gloves, and then cheap-o fake leather padded fingerless gloves I bought at an Army/Navy store.

I know so many people with Mechanix gloves now since they are tacti-cool, but I have tiny hands most stores don't carry size small mechanix so I have never gotten to try a proper pair myself.

I know so many people with Mechanix gloves now since they are tacti-cool, but I have tiny hands most stores don't carry size small mechanix so I have never gotten to try a proper pair myself.

You aren't missing much. I only wear them because I'm an auto tech and I have them laying around haha. The are just really comfortable, keep your hands pretty warm in colder weather but as far as protection (at least the ones I listed) they really only protect against basic stuff. Such as sharp edges, getting splinters and stuff if you're outside and that type of crap. Getting shot in your hand, mainly your fingers still hurts but like I said, it goes away after a minute or so haha.

Guest alberty

Yep, the Original Mechanix gloves are great for any handy work in general, holding airsoft equipment, etc...just not padded in the areas that more tactical or paintball gloves are.

HOWEVER Mechanix does make more combat/heavy work oriented gloves. Another great choice for airsoft and combat situations is the M-pact 2 for example.

All over this thread I see OAKLEY. I wish I had your budgets.

I reecently got a pair of Condor Strykers:

http://www.tacgearstore.com/condor-stryker...love-p-528.html

(Except I got mine on eBay) I like them alot, and they're very comfortable. They have silicone lattice on the fingertips to make them extra grippy.

Yep, the Original Mechanix gloves are great for any handy work in general, holding airsoft equipment, etc...just not padded in the areas that more tactical or paintball gloves are.

HOWEVER Mechanix does make more combat/heavy work oriented gloves. Another great choice for airsoft and combat situations is the M-pact 2 for example.

I personally don't really reccomend Mechanix. They're decent for their price I guess, but I am on my third freaking pair because the damned fingers keep wearing out. (I wear them at work in the winter doing auto parts delivery).

My newest ones after one month now have holes in both index fingers. Also their cheap velcro knockoff is worn out, and they don't last long enough for me to justify replacing with good velcro.

Mind you, on the job I am not handling lots of sharp-edged metal stuff. It's mostly boxes, plastic packaging and ABS-plastic totes.

Edited by LoneSniperSG

Guest alberty
I personally don't really reccomend Mechanix. They're decent for their price I guess, but I am on my third freaking pair because the damned fingers keep wearing out. (I wear them at work in the winter doing auto parts delivery).

My newest ones after one month now have holes in both index fingers. Also their cheap velcro knockoff is worn out, and they don't last long enough for me to justify replacing with good velcro.

Mind you, on the job I am not handling lots of sharp-edged metal stuff. It's mostly boxes, plastic packaging and ABS-plastic totes.

You're absolutely correct--Mechanix are nice and cheap, meaning you'll go through a few over time haha. I don't play airsoft often so having a pair of Mechanix reserved for those occasional games means not replacing too often.

When Oakley and Camelbak gloves are too much, there's also Blackhawk and 5.11 for cheaper options. Then Condor.

Damn, if you're going through mechanix gloves that fast then you should probably look into the "4x" ones. They are basically originals but with more material in areas where it needs it. Though you have me beat man. I'm an auto tech (doing alignments mainly since I'm ASE in suspension and steering) and have yet to go through the 2 pairs I have...actually one pair since I use one pair for airsoft.

As far as Oakleys being expensive, yes to civilians they are a rip off. If you know somebody in the Military or that was in the military they should be able to get those "SI Assault" gloves for like 40 bucks. I think that's what I paid for mine last time I bought some. Which is about 40 dollars cheaper than if you were to just get them yourself.

I'll be watching this thread though for other ideas though. I want some different gloves besides my Mechanix ones that provide a lil more protection but aren't so beefed up that you lose dexterity and stuff with em.

Oakley SI - Costliest (usstandardissue FTW), not really my absolute fav.

Blackhawk SOLAD HD - mid range price and probably the best IMO

Mechanix, Petzl, Easton batting gloves - Cheapest and work almost as well as the above

I look for full fingers, leather palms and hard knuckles. The leather is good for thorns and glass (unlike synthetic palms), but needs to be thin enough for me to, say, type in. I got my hand caught in a door once so the hard knuckle is now always a must. Sometimes I cut off the index and thumb, but not always.

PIG/SKD tactical is releasing some nice gun gloves and I will buy their hard knuckle ones when they come out.

I started off using regular Mechanix gloves, then got some voodoo tactical hard knuckle gloves now I'm going to get some Oakley SI assault gloves or maybe Camelbak hard knuckle gloves. I've tried cutting my index and middle figer part of the glove but I don't like it.

All over this thread I see OAKLEY. I wish I had your budgets.

ACM Oakleys, $12 on eBay. Mine are extremely nice. I mean, the materials themselves feel just like the real Oakleys, the only difference between the real deal and mine are that some of the stitching is not perfect (they went over a couple areas a second sloppy time) and there are some tiny imperfections like material being stitched 1mm over on one glove compared to the other. Everyone I show them to and let them feel thinks they are the real deal until I show them the imperfections.

I don't get the point of half finger gloves, or even the ones with cut trigger fingers.

I tell you my biggest reason: I have small hands, so most gloves are floppy on me and the fingers too long. Floppy fingers are gonna slow me down, especially when it comes to operating my replica, which means I have a better chance of getting shot. I take the risk of getting shot in the fingers because I believe I have an advantage and won't get shot period.

Also, when I switch to my pistol, I can't have my gloves loose whatsoever because I can then fumble with my pistol for a bit. The fingerless gloves help me secure the pistol better and release the button on my serpa more naturally (I find myself feeling for if I have it when I wear gloves and hesitate).

I wear my old motorcycle gloves. they are the Icon pursuit stealth gloves. hard knuckle, good leather, great fit. and I had them around from when I had my bike. and I think they are still a little cheaper than oakley

pursuit stealth gloves

Guest alberty

Same here, I do not own and have not used the real Oakley SIs--I also have the ACM replicas. Only good for airsoft obviously--the velcro has already come off of the wrist strap on mine. The hard knuckle inserts are certainly just some plastic and not carbon fiber haha.

I also say the same about tipless or trigger-cut gloves--you sacrifice coverage for the increase in dexterity. So, I have thick, not-so-dexterous gloves for CQB (need all the coverage for my poor finger tips and fingernails in CQB and I don't use much equipment besides my gun itself in CQB) and then thinner, more dexterous gloves for outdoors such as Original Mechanix or paintball gloves or those Oakley SI replicas.

I've also used the ACM Oakley's and honestly they're great but I like to use my fingers for alot of things out on the field and gloves with fingers obstruct that ALOT so I just decided to cut the knuckles. Honestly, I would say half-finger's would be the best for airsoft..Not once have I ever been shot in the fingers out of all the years I've been playing.

I got a pair of used Mechanix M-Pact 2 gloves here on the forum for $15. They retail for around $30.

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-2-covert-glove

I love them. They are rugged, durable, and I have good control of what I'm gripping without the gloves feeling bulky. I can actually type with them on. Not as fast as I can without them, but that's the level of dexterity I can maintain while wearing them. They also have padding in all of the right places IMO. Since I started wearing them I haven't taken a serious finger hit despite playing a ton of CQB.

Amazon has them for around $24 to $30 a pair.

I should have a pair of full finger gloves for the winter, I had forgotten about that a few weeks ago and froze my fingers off, then used bulky gloves that barely fit in my magpuls for reloading haha. Now that I am thinking about it, I will probably pony up for a nice, tight fitting pair of full finger gloves once I start playing CQB more.

Those Condor Strykers look okay, and I found a pair on eBay for about $20 and they actually have size small! Perhaps...

Dear Fellow Airsofters-Just received my size 9 tactical gloves via Amazon.com and for $17.00 plus free S/H, I think that I got a good deal. Here's the link to the gloves off of Rap4's website:)

http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/sup-grip-...lar-black-large

I should have a pair of full finger gloves for the winter, I had forgotten about that a few weeks ago and froze my fingers off, then used bulky gloves that barely fit in my magpuls for reloading haha. Now that I am thinking about it, I will probably pony up for a nice, tight fitting pair of full finger gloves once I start playing CQB more.

Those Condor Strykers look okay, and I found a pair on eBay for about $20 and they actually have size small! Perhaps...

I have a pair of fingerless gloves like that I used for paintball, except they probably weren't as nice as the black dye would mix with my sweat and bleed out of the glove material haha.

Actually, yesterday I went to this place called Army Barracks (there is a chain of them in New England) to check out some boots for sizing, and on the way out I saw their glove rack and decided to check it out. I wanted full-finger gloves for when it is cold out and couldn't find anything that fit well, until I found a single pair of size small "ToolGrip Pro" gloves helter skelter on the top hook. I couldn't find any other of this type of glove, and since they fit me so well and feel like they are perfect for airsoft use I bought them. I cannot even find any information on these stupid gloves online.

They are black... I can live with that. They actually have little squares of the same/similar material to the "sticky" material on football gloves for catching all over the glove in specific spots, and the material is raised on some parts of the palm in order to cushion your hands a bit as not to cause blisters or soreness lol. The best part is that they fit so perfectly snug on my small fingertips, I can actually use the grips as designed. I would say they are similar in style to mechanix ("tool grip"? haha) but they fit my smaller hands better, and are a little thicker and warmer.

No idea about durability, which should be obvious since I bought them yesterday, but eh, worth a shot!

Edited by ACE of SPADES11

I strongly advice MECHANIX WEAR TACTICAL MULTICAM M-PACT . These Mechanix multi-cam M-Pact tactical gloves are high quality and hard wearing. They are durable enough to last you many years and they have been designed to keep your hands comfortable, protected and cool, even in the harshest of tactical situations. To protect your fingers from high impacts, these gloves have an injection-molded knuckle guard. This guard prevents your fingers from being cut or damaged due to high impact activities. There is additional reinforcement to the fingertips so that your fingers can be completely protected.

High quality and thick palm padding ensure that your palms will not take the impact from knocks or vibrations and the leather palm sections offer you toughness and traction whilst you’re on your mission. The trek dry material with MultiCam camouflage is form fitting for a perfect fit whilst these gloves are fully machine washable so that you can keep them in the best condition for as long as possible.

While I realize that this post has been open for a few year, I'll add my two cents as well.

My two "go-to" for gloves are the Mechanix M-Pact and Oakley SI Assault gloves. Both are great gloves and have stood the test of time for me; also, both sets of gloves have endured multiple deployments to Iraq without falling apart.

Both pairs run around $30 (Oakleys would have to be purchased from eBay for that price (or less)) and both have a decent amount of protection on the top of the gloves (albeit, the Mechanix gloves offer more protection than the Oakleys). For me, I use the Mechanix gloves when I am in an area with more hazards and I use the Oakleys if I want more feeling (plus I can still use my iPhone with the Oakleys, surprising plus) and hazards are not much of a concern.

For anyone questioning the $30 eBay Oakley gloves, not only do they look like the real deal instead of knock-offs, but my current pair has lasted me almost 6 years of airsoft, 4-wheeling and range time; they are just now starting to wear through on the palms.