Sign in to follow this  
SHWELL

How to get you "Which gun?" Thread answered

Hello Folks. We here at ASF are always trying to come up with ways to improve the sites usefulness to the Community. The Airsoft Community is vast, and the experience levels are just as big. This section is here to help a new player get the most frequently asked question either answered, or at least made easier to figure out.

Here is a list of simple questions to ask yourself before asking others:

Budget:

Do I have a budget? This is prob the most basic side of this question. Once you have decided how you are willing or are able to dedicate to the sport, you have made it quite easier to figure out which direction you need to go in your purchase plan. Keep in mind, there is more to it then just buying a gun. You may need to buy a battery, charger, and Mags.

Model Preference:

Do you like a particular Model over all others? Basically, if you know you lioke M4's, then specify that. If you are undecided, please try and break it down to the models you do like the most. Airsoft as an Industry has grown so much, we are now seeing many different variants across the board.

Where you play:

CQB or Field? Believe it or not, the style of game you will be playing, may have an impact on what folks may recommend. We want to avoid recommending a Sniper Rifle for a player that will be playing Close Quarters (CQB).

Role:

What role do you intend to play: This is a piggyback to the Where you play line. If you want to be a sniper, say that. Support gunner, say that. This is another point that makes the list of recommendations much shorter, and more specific to your needs.

Be Open to advice:

You have a lot of players that have tons of experience in Airsoft. There will be times when your questions lead us to make recommendations based on our experiences. I am not saying you NEED to listen and do as they recommend, but it will benefit you to pay attention and give it a thought. Example: New players that want to be Snipers. Most expereinced players will not recommend this to a completely new player.

The main point is "HELP US HELP YOU".... Information will be made available in this section almost daily. Please read the Stickies, there are answers there.

Guest alberty

To anyone else seeking help in picking out a gun, please don't just create a thread and/or post that says something like "What is the best gun under ___?".

Just like when it comes to cars, computers, shoes, etc...there is no single "best" because there are many different types out there for different needs.

Although you may hear the common suggestions of the JG G36C and G&G Combat Machines, that doesn't necessarily mean they're exact thing you're looking for.

To anyone else seeking help in picking out a gun, please don't just create a thread and/or post that says something like "What is the best gun under ___?".

Just like when it comes to cars, computers, shoes, etc...there is no single "best" because there are many different types out there for different needs.

Although you may hear the common suggestions of the JG G36C and G&G Combat Machines, that doesn't necessarily mean they're exact thing you're looking for.

I'm wanting to become a marksmen, I would only play in fields, price range is nothing over $400, what type of rifle would you recommend for a Newbie sniper like me?

Edited by MicMootz

Guest alberty
I'm wanting to become a marksmen, I would only play in fields, price range is nothing over $400, what type of rifle would you recommend for a Newbie sniper like me?

That question would be appropriate as a thread by itself, just a few more details would be needed so people can answer you better.

Guest alberty

More tips:

- Again, be more generous with details on what you're looking for.

Here are examples of questions/titles that are too vague by themselves:

"What's the best DMR for under $__"

"What's the best gun for under $__"

"What's the best gun of them all. Money is not a problem." (We could suggest you a $1 million gun.)

"What gun should I get for under $150?"

When the question is basically as short as that, we can't narrow it down easily because there's many factors.

Check SHWELL's post above for more details you can give.

- How much more are you willing to spend after getting the gun itself?

Sometimes we can suggest you a good gun, but it may only come with a limited number of things like magazines, batteries, etc...

We suggest you invest in more magazines, good quality BBs, a smart charger for your batteries, etc...it costs money, but helps you stay in the game longer and enjoy it more.

- Upgrades and your tech skill level

Some guns are good to build with, and you'll need to consider if you'd like to upgrade it in in the future. That will take some money. More importantly, it will take some tech skills to install them yourself unless you're willing to pay someone to install for you. Are you able to understand how the gun works, how to take it apart and put it back together? Or are you not willing to risk opening it yourself? Think about those.

Edited by alberty