Sign in to follow this  
Simeon

Smart Charger

So I finally got a smart charger just before I put up my guns for the winter, used it a couple times and put it away. This morning I took it out, plugged it in and started hearing this noise. Best way I can describe it is like a hissing sound.

There's no battery or anything plugged in to it. I've got it plugged in right now just hoping it doesn't explode in my room lol.

Is this noise normal or is something wrong with my charger?

hissing is most likely a capacitor going bad. soo good news is you’ll need to get a new charger. although since I cant see the charger in person its hard to give you a deferent answer.

you should find out the manufacture and shoot them an email asking about it.

but since you said the hissing noise just started and it hasnt happened before. im assuming that it means its going bad

Guest alberty
Well, I charged a battery and nothing exploded so I think I'm fine lol.

Thanks

But is it still making that noise? You really might want to keep watch on it, you don't want it exploding and setting your home on fire or shocking someone.

the worst it will do is pop.. basically the capacitors will expand and possibly "explode" and causing the charger to stop working.

if the capacitor is full charged and it fails, then yes it can create shorts and sparks and can be dangerous.

if your going to continue to use this charger. I suggest do it in a area where nothing could catch fire.. basement kitchen etc