to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
conanime

Loctite Adhesive Compound vs. Gorilla Glue

I've always used Gorilla Glue, but I've heard Loctite's Adhesive Compound (Cyanoacrylate compound) is better.

For example, if I were to glue down sorbothane to a cylinderhead or bushings to a gearbox shell, which of these brands would be better? Which do you use?

The reason I ask is because the stock sorbothane/rubber pad that sits on my cylinder head has come off (jamming my gun...). Since I have to glue it on, I want to make sure that I use glue that won't let it come off again.

Also, how do I properly surface prep an area to be glued? Just scrub it with rubbing alcohol, or is there more to it?

Thanks for the help

I've always used Gorilla Glue, but I've heard Loctite's Adhesive Compound (Cyanoacrylate compound) is better.

For example, if I were to glue down sorbothane to a cylinderhead or bushings to a gearbox shell, which of these brands would be better? Which do you use?

The reason I ask is because the stock sorbothane/rubber pad that sits on my cylinder head has come off (jamming my gun...). Since I have to glue it on, I want to make sure that I use glue that won't let it come off again.

Also, how do I properly surface prep an area to be glued? Just scrub it with rubbing alcohol, or is there more to it?

Thanks for the help

I've tried gorilla glue and honestly want very impressed. Locktight CA cures quickly and the bottle keeps the glue from curing prematurely. If I need anything stronger I'll go directly to epoxy. CA will likely make a better bond with rubbers than most other adhesives although because it's brittle, I'd imagine that CA wouldn't work well for high cyclic loading, but this I'd where epoxies excel.

Edited by krap101

I have found that Loctite super glue is superior to Gorrilla glue for most airsoft applications. The Cyanoacrylate make it bond better.

I once used Gorrilla glue to secure a piece of sorbo to a cylinder head. It ended up working itself loose in under 300rds, and cause a sever compression jam which stripped out the gears on my gun. (I am still surprised it took the gears and not the piston) I have used Loctite on several cylinder head/sorbo jobs, R-hop installs, and gluing the bushings down and it has yet to fail me.

Loctite is VERY ADHESIVE. Just be careful with it, if you get it on your skin, it will eat into the layers of your skin. And, NEVER combine it with a cuetip, it WILL make vapors that are VERY painful to breath in. Hmmm, allcaps can really emphasize words really well.

Alright - thanks for the advice. I'll try Loctite glue this time. I'm assuming its just the stuff from Home Depot, right?

How should I surface prep an area to be glued (w/ Loctite)? In the past, I've just scrubbed Rubbing Alcohol on whatever is being glued. I haven't found any problems with doing just that, but is there some extra 'technique' that can be done to improve reliability and durability?

Edited by conanime

Home Depot carries several different flavors of Loctite, so take your pick. I bought mine from there.

As for surface prep, I honestly don't think it matters as much as everyone makes it out to be. Half the time I forget to clean the surfaces off, the other times, I do it with just a damp rag (like when I am clearing grease off the bushings and their holes). I have yet to run into an issue arising due to poor surface prep. Rubbing alcohol should be perfectly fine.