to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sniper(+)

Barrel Spin Mod

Hey guys,

I have been sort of an inactive member here, but when talking to some fellow team members I began to wonder if anyone has come up with a solution to the tumbling problem with BBs. When sniping, BBs will eventually curve due to the fact that they have a lot of top spin from rolling out of the barrel (no duh right). It would really be great if someone could come up with a way to keep BBs from doing this, such as perhaps rifling in the barrel (which sort of seems impractical and expensive) or at least some way to grip the BB. If there is a way to keep it straight (no top or bottom spin) or any other general barrel-mod tips you guys might have/know about I'm all ears.

I know that upgraded hop ups/buckings might just do the trick, but ideally that wears out over time, I'm more concerned with the barrel of the rifle so if their is anything besides that to reduce spin more accurately....

Only things I can think off right now are the Tanio Koba riffled barrel which is not usable over 330FPS or the Falcon riffled barrel which has the "riffling" only 6cm from the end of the barrel to make the trayectory of the exiting BB flatter, but until the BB gets there, it is just a regular barrel.

BTW: you cant reduce the spin of the BB, doing so would drastically reduce your range and accuracy, in fact, new "hop techniques" aim to increase the spin as much as possible and couple this with heavy ammunition to counter the overspinning

Falcon barrels are not rifled, they are fluted.

Rifling is the wrong concept, it cannot work with a spherical projectile because of the Magnus effect. Try this next time you're out plinking or skirming: turn your hop all the way up and take a shot - it should soar up into the air before dropping down again. Now rotate your gun 90 degrees to the side (like a gangsta), look down along the barrel and fire again in the same direction - the BB will curve dramatically to the side instead of up in the air. This is what would happen if you tried to rifle an airosft barrel.

As Sasori said, backspin is what keeps the round afloat and extends range to almost twice the distance possible without it. That is the point of hopup.

Edited by buppus

A couple things. First the TK twist isn't intended to work on the principal of rifling, its designed to create a cushion of air which prevents the bb from contacting the barrel walls. Its the manufacturer's claim, I've not independently verified it, take that for what you will. That said if you'd like to see rounds which are spin stabilized, by spin or rifling, we've got that:

486621.v0.s14.convert.large.jpg

Aspherical Round

Edited by hunterseeker5

A couple things. First the TK twist isn't intended to work on the principal of rifling, its designed to create a cushion of air which prevents the bb from contacting the barrel walls. Its the manufacturer's claim, I've not independently verified it, take that for what you will. That said if you'd like to see rounds which are spin stabilized, by spin or rifling, we've got that:

Aspherical Round

First just wanted to say thanks for all the responses.

So sort of like I figured BB spin is important for range because it really is just a little plastic pellet and isn't super aerodynamic. I was mostly concerned with the top spin causing the magnus effect (didn't know that is what it was called at the time) but wanted to basically customize a gun to put side spin on a BB for accuracy and keep the top spin low, which from what you guys are saying is really just a matter of tricking out your hop up and adjusting it for your shooting range.

Also, hunterseeker 5, thanks for the info about the new rounds. I had no idea that those were in development, and it would be nice to see some of those type rounds come out for the sniping market here in a couple years at least. Do you know if they are current available for purchase?

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll just have to look into modifying the hop up then.

The link below the picture is where you can buy them. They are currently in the testing phase and haven't been proven to be effective yet.

Thank you. Why is reading the ENTIRE post difficult? :P

The V1 rounds I did display good accuracy and the flight characteristics people wanted to see. They are here:

Aspherical Rounds V1

467946.v0.s14.convert.large.jpg

Calling them V1 is a bit deceptive, because while they are the first gen I offer, they're actually the direct result of my testing someone else's rounds. :P I did discontinue them though because there was distinct room for improvement which was incorporated into the V2s.

Actually though now that you mention it I should post an image of the ACTUAL rounds, not just the rendering:

photo77205.jpg

The V2s came out in a variety of different flavors. The major problems with the V1s were low mass, a relatively delicate mid-section, and tail cant incompatible with our ONLY rifled barrel. The V2s, of which there are several designs, were designed to remedy this. I'm not going to link you to every single one, but I'll post some images and all of them can be found HERE.

486615.v0.s14.convert.large.jpg

486613.v0.s14.convert.large.jpg

You're probably wondering why some of them have multiple bodies and multiple tails. The reason for this is that, to achieve higher mass, you need a longer body. Unfortunately our guns were only designed to chamber short 6mm spheres. The separate bodies then allow you to flex the round and feed it into a chamber which is much shorter than the overall round. I'm working on a device to make these rounds functional in an M4, but for now in a lot of systems they have to be muzzle-loaded.