Sign in to follow this  
maypo

Gun for my kid

Son is in a hurry to get into the battles with his friends(-wooded area and fields). All he tells me is it should be full metal.

I am trying to learn fast. Not sure if full metal means whole gun or is really about the internals.

I am sure this will result in maybe no more than a dozen uses in my opinion.

I am looking primarily for reliability & durability first. Accuracy and features next and last is FPS & ROF.

I have narrowed it down to these all within a close price range:

UI AK47M

CM028 ak47- seveal variants- the 8a full metal RIS/ the s v5/the FM

at the highend JG067 MK5 BT5 SD6 Enhanced -whatever that means- I like the collapsible stock.

at the low end G5 MK5 PDN

I would appreciate any recomendations either positive or negative on all of these in terms of what I have outlined.

Also willing to check out rec's on others that are in this range.

Thanks.

Edited by maypo

Sounds, like you don't have too much experience, so go with the Cyma(CM028). Just for the reliability factor. They are work horses. I had a cyma ak, and it lasted over a year and a half(still works), and have not had to change anything in it. But after awhile once your son becomes a more experienced player, I would recommend upgrading it. But the best bang for your buck would be the Cyma.

Correct, I have no experience in airsoft. Niether does my son, just wants to go play.

I don't want a gun that will breakdown everytime he plays, so I am relying on optheres expereince and knowledge to help.

I have found CYMA guns to be the best guns if you don't wish to spend a lot, but still want something with quality. From my experience, they deliver good accuracy, enough power, good range, and can hold their own really. The AK variant is usually a pretty good choice, if not that the M14s are also very nice. Just be careful to buy from reputable sites such as AirsoftGI or Evike to make sure you get an up to date model and that it comes to you in good condition. If you have any questions about it, their support departments are very willing to help.

Correct, I have no experience in airsoft. Niether does my son, just wants to go play.

I don't want a gun that will breakdown everytime he plays, so I am relying on optheres expereince and knowledge to help.

Then yes, definitely go with the CYMA. It is the best out of the box for your son. And listen to TurtleTech, buy from a reputable site such as Airsoftgi, Evike, and I believe airsoft station has almost every model of CYMA Ak's. Make sure you use coupon codes on all websites to save some money.

Just to clarify something, the CYMA CM028 is NOT full metal and the externals are all plastic. However, CYMA AKs, as stated above, have a reputation for durability and is a good choice for a beginner. For a full metal gun, at least $150 has to be put in to it.

Oh yeah, "full metal" refers to the externals.

Now if your son can describe the level his friends are at. That will help, brought my 1000$ gun to a friends little war.. they had cheap automatics and springers.... it wasnt fun for them at all.

As long as the competition has full auto electric guns its safe to go with a cyma, echo 1, g&g. They are all really great starter guns.

Just remeber to teach your son proper saftey, make sure they have eye protection, a lower mask/scarf wouldnt hurt either. We don't eant anyone loosing a tooth.

Don't listen to the people above me.

don't trust CYMA.

Get your son a G&G Combat Machine.

$140

330 FPS with 0.20 grams

Metal gear box

blah blah blah

They are the most trusted starter guns out there.

I've had the complete opposite experience. The gearbox in my G&G RK-104 has to be the worst gearbox I.ve ever seen. Bent axle on the sector gear, 6mm brass bushings that were fit pretty loose in the shell, the internals were also drowned in grease, and I mean literally drowned. The gearbox in my Cyma AK-47 were alot better built, I still use it. I rebuilt it to a highspeed setup, and replaced the gearbox in the G&G gun after that one broke down completely.

My point is, Cyma's have very sturdy internals, at least if you get one of their higher end models. I'm never buying a G&G gun again, but I'm definitely considering Cyma again, my Cyma gun has been as reliable as my TM MP5K and more reliable than my CA AUG.

these are all kids who started out on paintball & migrated to airsoft. They have been playing a couple years all <AT> 15-17 yrs old. Their advice to him to me is "no springers" and "make sure it's full metal".

I was surprised that JG was not the choice brand from what I first read elsewhere. The vote here is CMYA...here are 2

CM028A RIS AK-47 V5 all metal internals. unknown what its like externally.

CM028 AK-47 V5 (TOKYO MARUI CLONE) described as full metal but I think the wood is plastic/fake

IU-AK47M this is described as full metal and is priced well under the others and I don't know what the brand is so it makes me wonder what the problems are -metal everthing from what I read.

It appears the these my be my best 2/3 choices.

Thanks for that info, I'll keep a look out but in meantime my sone was offered a barely used kalash ak74 KLS series RK05

8.4v for $75. I have no familiarity with that brand. Any feedback for me on this?

Sounds like a D-boys gun. D-boys guns sometimes have full steel bodies, a huge plus for some people (come one, everybody knows they want a steel body, pot metal is no fun! :a-grin: ) If it is the steel D-boys, the internals will be near to a cyma. The non steel D-boys have a bad reputation.

On redalliance.com, the internet authority for east bloc airsoft, most members subscribe to this theory:

non steel D-boys AKs < Cyma AKs < Steel D-boys AKs

I tend to believe them, they should know what they are talking about. They own ALOT of AKs...

Edited by aleksandar

This has been some great info. Thanks everyone.

The Kalash is a Dboys value line gun, found it as a RK-05 on airrattle for 140 new. plastic stock also a folding stock.

Everything I read pretty much say to stay away from folding stocks-they only last a few hours.

The info an CMYA numbering helps alot-especially to compare used items or across sellers websites. I'm guessing they use similar numbering across all their lines.

I am not stuck on AK's for any reason other than they seem to be comparatively less expensive that other models and I know my kid. He will likely play no more than a dozen times in the next two years.

Lastly,as far as I know, no one has commented on the IU AK47M. Info describes it as a full metal metal everything gun. Who makes it? Is is any good - I was able to ID this as a UK arms. Has a plastic stock but all else seems good...

Edited by maypo

The ammount of metal content in a gun does not make it good or bad, in fact, there are many good plastic guns out there. Folding stocks are sometimes a weak point on some guns, but the folding stock on my Echo1 AK74un (Cyma rebrand) is working great, and its nearly four years old.

Yeah. Alot of younger kids just jump into airsoft and then leave the sport. I think if he has friends that play it, and have been playing for a few years, he will probally stick to it for a little longer. All my friends play airsoft, and our little group is really strong. We often get more people into airsoft. It really depends where you live. Here is Sacramento, airsoft is pretty strong.

Is it possible that he plays airsoft before he gets a gun? Whenever one of our friends gets into airsoft, we encourage him to play a match with everybody's gun before he chooses a gun. He may not like AKs, perhaps he may like G36s. JG makes a really good G36 in your price range.

IU? Never heard of it. Stay away from less well known companies and stick with tried-and-teue brands like JG, DBoys, or CYMA for MPEGs.

IU as far as I can tell is UK arms which in SOME cases may be a rebranded CMYA.

This one is an AK that seems slotted at about the cm031 range and it can be had for under $90

Guest greg93

The CYMA line is a good brand, their internals usually last fairly long.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=4...mp;filter_id=31

G&G also makes good quality starter guns, a little better than CYMA's lower end counterparts if you ask me. (I own a G&G)

http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=4...amp;filter_id=3

One of my friends has this gun and it hasnt caused him any grief for the year that he's had it. Echo 1 makes goog guns that are great for starters.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=2167

No matter what gun you get, make sure that you also get .25g or .28g bbs to go along with it. The bbs are often overlooked by most Newbies when starting airsoft. I personally use elite force .28 in my gun and they run flawlessly.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=9726

Have you asked your son which style he prefers. Does he like the AK's or is he a M4 fan. Both have great starter guns and it is a personal preference. A metal gearbox is a must but the externals can be fine either way. I have seen a lot of kids think that their gun is full metal when is fact it is not.

He has no preference as long as it is realistic and not toyish. I am almost sold on a iu ak47M which appears to be a rebranded CMYA as UK arms... Mostly metal RIS 370-400 fps gun. Stock is plastic not wood. I am trying to get info that would tell me matching model of branded CMYA. My gues is &lt;AT&gt; cm031. it is $90 plus ship

Guest greg93
He has no preference as long as it is realistic and not toyish. I am almost sold on a iu ak47M which appears to be a rebranded CMYA as UK arms... Mostly metal RIS 370-400 fps gun. Stock is plastic not wood. I am trying to get info that would tell me matching model of branded CMYA. My gues is &lt;AT&gt; cm031. it is $90 plus ship

the iu ak47m is a JG ak47, not Uk arms or a rebrand of CYMA. For $90, its probably not that bad, after all, JG has some decent guns, but you really do get what you pay for.

Heres the link: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=27880

If you read the full info on evike, it could be either JG or CMYA. The etailer I inquired with and am still waiting for a followup from stated that their full supply was CMYA rebranded as UK Arms. Similar to the linked ad and only $90.

From the quote "makes sure it is full metal." Possibly says they are not into airsoft that much, or have not been playing for too long. A lot of airsoft guns are plastic, and the metal is a luxury. It is high quality plastic, when people think of plastic they think of it as breaking if it gets shot, this is NOT the case. I would recommend either the CYMA ak, any type it is looks. Also, another option is looking here on the forums to buy a gun! Great prices and nice guns. They are cared for so no out of box :censored2:. A lot of people are looking for money and their upgraded guns will go cheap!