Sign in to follow this  
austinoa32

Edited: Best piston, piston head, cylinder, and cylinder head combo

Which one of these pistons are stronger, and will hold up in high speed set ups?

(Scroll Down for the 15 tooth piston)

SHS

Deep Fire

Edit: You guys have been a huge help, now I need to determine what the best Piston, Piston head, Cylinder, and Cylinder head combination is?? All help is greatly appreciated. Also, all these upgrades will be going into a King Arms 7mm Gearbox (M100). All the work will be done professionally, as I am not to tech savy. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Another quick question. Currently the King Arms GB has 7mm bushings, and I would prefer 8mm, but would this mean I would have to buy a new gb shell that is specifically for 8mm bushings?

Edited by austinoa32

The Deep Fire Titanium pistons is said to be one of the strongest pistons out there. I was able to kill two of them though, but that was because of pre-engagement and gearfailure. I can confirm that the teeth on that piston are ridicously strong, strong enough to strip a Systema sector gear. The teeth on the piston barely had any wear after stripping that sector gear, and could have been used in a new pistonbody.

strong enough to strip a Systema sector gear.

That really isn't all that great of a feat for the piston. Systema gears are known to strip, and quite easily.

SHS is really the way to go. Price to performance is unrivaled, and they hold up very well in almost any setup, provided you epoxy the rack in place and correct AoE as you always should.

From my experience, the Deepfire has also had some problems blowing out the back tooth....if you do choose Deepfire, make sure to glue the rack down, and a swiss cheese wouldn't hurt.

SHS is far cheaper, and arguably stronger...you would be a fool to buy the deepfire over it.

"Titanium" seems to be a bit of a marketing ploy...much like "CNC". Last I checked they were just coated in titanium, and even that doesn't help much. The SHS piston rack will last as long...likely longer.

-Major9

Titanium nitriding on the surface of the teeth actually would be highly beneficial. Its beside the point though.

I guess all of you whippersnappers are too young to remember this little historical tidbit, so allow me:

Deep fire was one of the first (if not the first) major company to introduce a full metal rack piston. It caught on fast. Unfortunately, while newbies were very attracted to them, they weren't in fact very good. As someone else once put it "a DF piston will take any abuse you can dish out for a couple thousand rounds, but nothing you'll do will make them last much longer than that." Too true. Its only with the advent of the SHS 15 tooth that full metal rack pistons have even been accepted as vaguely usable. Long were they considered utterly useless, and still they aren't wonderful. In fact I am not a huge SHS piston fan mainly because, again, they aren't the best at anything. They're heavy, have soft teeth, aren't super cheap, are hard on your gears, etc. Coming around to your original question "will this be good for a high speed setup" the simple answer is no. You want a high speed piston for a high speed setup, and those aren't.

look around here

http://clandestineairsoft.com/

you best bet is to get parts from the same manufacture. most of the time the parts are made to work best together from the same manufacturer. shs are cheap and work really well. as for a piston you can get a shs poly or the clear blue ones and a just swiss cheese it. look around the forums there are threads about this

Yeah, SHS pistons are nice and Clandestine is a great retailer. I'm running a clear blue SHS piston and it's been holding up just fine. Plus, should your piston ever die, they're pretty easy to replace at around $7-$15 apiece.