Sign in to follow this  
VAairsoft

The Perfect Gun

I've been looking for the "Perfect Gun" to get for my birthday. Here is what I need:

~$350

Great internal quality

Great external quality

Accuracy

Range

So far these guns have stood out from everything else:

CM032A (M14 SOCOM)

KWA G36C

KWA KM16BR

ICS M16A3

ARES/Umarex G36K

I know it's a long list and may be hard to choose from considering most of these guns are pretty decent, but I need to know which one of these would be the best to get. Here is the list of pros and cons I've made up for each:

CM032A

Pros: Decent accuracy, range, exceptional externals

Cons: People have had charging handle problems

KWA G36C

Pros: Good externals, Good internals, rails

Cons: People have had hop up and piston problems (the 2GX gearbox doesn't use shims)

KWA KM16BR

Pros: Good externals, Good internals

Cons: Large weapon, people have had piston problems (explained above)

ICS M16A3

Pros: Good externals and internals (as far as I know, there are barely any reviews I've found)

Cons: Possibly a crappy glossy handguard

ARES/Umarex G36K

Pros: Great externals, exceptional internals, nice scope, extremely easy disassembly

Cons: I've heard of some internal problems with this one. Mixed reviews

I'm not good with internal work, so that is out of the question. I just need the best out of all these.

I'm not that big on internalls, but KWAs tend to have TONS of wiring and motor troubles, and from experience and talking with owners, it isnt worth it. I havent had much experience with ICS guns, but I've heard they aren't worth it. People have had good experience with ARES rifles, and although some reviews are mixed, they have reliability.

I'd recommend a G&P. ;)

I'm not that big on internalls, but KWAs tend to have TONS of wiring and motor troubles, and from experience and talking with owners, it isnt worth it. I havent had much experience with ICS guns, but I've heard they aren't worth it. People have had good experience with ARES rifles, and although some reviews are mixed, they have reliability.

I'd recommend a G&P. ;)

The only problems I find with G&P are:

They are only ever in stock on RedWolf Airsoft, which just so happens to have terrible shipping prices.

They generally have high prices.

Other than that they are AMAZING, I was considering a G&P but wanted to see if I could get something just as good for less of a price. However, their MOE carbine has officially sucked me in. I'll check shipping prices and get back to you on what all I'll get with it.

The only problems I find with G&P are:

They are only ever in stock on RedWolf Airsoft, which just so happens to have terrible shipping prices.

They generally have high prices.

Other than that they are AMAZING, I was considering a G&P but wanted to see if I could get something just as good for less of a price. However, their MOE carbine has officially sucked me in. I'll check shipping prices and get back to you on what all I'll get with it.

Check out a Socom Gear M4. They are VFC internals, so they are very very very good. It will last a while, and it has great externals.

If you're looking for a gun to use on a field, go with the cyma m14. I've opened up my fairs share of gearboxes and guns, and the internals are excellent. If you don't plan on upgrading it, it will last forever, just like a tm. The downside is that the charging handle follower is very susceptible to breaking if you keep racking the bolt hard. Other than that, I have had no complaints on it performance-wise. Take the rest of the money and invest in a quality battery, and maybe even some upgrades if you feel comfortable doing so.

If you're looking for a gun to use on a field, go with the cyma m14. I've opened up my fairs share of gearboxes and guns, and the internals are excellent. If you don't plan on upgrading it, it will last forever, just like a tm. The downside is that the charging handle follower is very susceptible to breaking if you keep racking the bolt hard. Other than that, I have had no complaints on it performance-wise. Take the rest of the money and invest in a quality battery, and maybe even some upgrades if you feel comfortable doing so.

It sounds like it will last awhile. I've seen some reviews and they all only complain about the charging handle being a bit brittle. I generally treat my guns well so it shouldn't be a problem.

I say go kwa. I have a cqb m4 and it works perfect. G&G are good but change the wires, they are very thin and resistant. I know kwa had problems with there older models but, the newer 2gx kicks :censored2: Don't be afraid of no shims. That just means they made there gear box close to perfect that they don't need it. Vfc uses no shims either, just self aligning gear setup. All I have to say is the guys at airsoft gi did a test with 16. Something another volt lipo (which is like a 5s lipo pack( most guns can't handle 3s 11.1v)) and it lasted 8 full clips of 450 bb's consistant and the only thing that went out was the piston teeth. They tryed it on other manufactures and they didn't last more then a few rounds. That should tell you something about the newer 2gx gear box. By no means are they the best guns but, they are damn nice.

Edited by toytroy

Every gun has it's ups and downs. If you plan on teching the gun yourself, I would get the Ares G36. Forget the KWA g36c, the external work is junk compared and I would much rather open an Ares g36 as I can repair the gun very fast and easily.

I've been happy with the Ares G36s but I will say first thing I would do is switch out the piston head and ball bearings. This is what has failed for me, nothing hard to do. If you don't, expect them to break quickly and they will cause more damage... example is breaking your cylinder head.

I've had to tinker with 3 with the same issues. I've heard of motor problems and micro switches but haven't suffered. The above seems more common to me since it happened to all of them.

If it seems like more trouble than it is worth then it should be an eye opener for you when you buy any airsoft gun and start suffering issues immediately. No matter what you pick, you have a high chance of issues to some degree.

At least right out of the box the external ship work of an Ares g36 will have you jumping up and down and when it does fail, you can have those project weekends to make it a perfect rifle. That is what I would do.

Comes with blowback, but easy to remove bolt inside if you don't like the feature. However the blowback on the rifle is not too bad of a design. You can lock the charging handle but if you do, don't fire it. It will jam because the piston is touching the blowback and it can't move. Most people just remove the bolt inside for speed but I keep mine because it doesn't bother me.

Every gun has it's ups and downs. If you plan on teching the gun yourself, I would get the Ares G36. Forget the KWA g36c, the external work is junk compared and I would much rather open an Ares g36 as I can repair the gun very fast and easily.

I've been happy with the Ares G36s but I will say first thing I would do is switch out the piston head and ball bearings. This is what has failed for me, nothing hard to do. If you don't, expect them to break quickly and they will cause more damage... example is breaking your cylinder head.

I've had to tinker with 3 with the same issues. I've heard of motor problems and micro switches but haven't suffered. The above seems more common to me since it happened to all of them.

If it seems like more trouble than it is worth then it should be an eye opener for you when you buy any airsoft gun and start suffering issues immediately. No matter what you pick, you have a high chance of issues to some degree.

At least right out of the box the external ship work of an Ares g36 will have you jumping up and down and when it does fail, you can have those project weekends to make it a perfect rifle. That is what I would do.

Comes with blowback, but easy to remove bolt inside if you don't like the feature. However the blowback on the rifle is not too bad of a design. You can lock the charging handle but if you do, don't fire it. It will jam because the piston is touching the blowback and it can't move. Most people just remove the bolt inside for speed but I keep mine because it doesn't bother me.

Blow back setups are cool... Looking but serve no purpose and are harder to work on for newbs and can cause more issues.

Honestly get what ever gun looks the coolset to you. ALL guns will need some work in some places.

Just thowing it out there, get a combat machine by g&g for $140 and take the other $210 and build it to out preform other guns. Any real airsofter will tell you, its about performance and NOT about appearance.

Just hop over and ask car guys what is better; ford, chevy or dodge? You'll get different answeres.

Car guys tell me what they want me to buy for making money in their pocket. Go to a car tech and he will tell you to buy something easy to upkeep. But there is no M16 that is like the Ares g36 platform. I own many M16s, and I will say they are nice field guns. But if you plan to do anything, I would get the G36k or just ignore my advice and figure it out later. I have no problem working on a M16, but the Ares platform of a g36 is way more preferrable.

It is not a bad choice, either one I am pretty sure you'll be happy with.

Car guys tell me what they want me to buy for making money in their pocket. Go to a car tech and he will tell you to buy something easy to upkeep. But there is no M16 that is like the Ares g36 platform. I own many M16s, and I will say they are nice field guns. But if you plan to do anything, I would get the G36k or just ignore my advice and figure it out later. I have no problem working on a M16, but the Ares platform of a g36 is way more preferrable.

It is not a bad choice, either one I am pretty sure you'll be happy with.

Like I said, I plan on doing no internal work. I know that the ARES G36K and all of the other Umarex products have a one year warranty, but KWA has a 45 day long warranty at the same time and I will definitely be putting it to the test during those 45 days. I hear a lot of "meh" things about the ARES, and a lot of good things about the KWA. However I do understand what you're saying, but I just don't have the resources nor the guts to upgrade the G36K.

Like I said, I plan on doing no internal work. I know that the ARES G36K and all of the other Umarex products have a one year warranty, but KWA has a 45 day long warranty at the same time and I will definitely be putting it to the test during those 45 days. I hear a lot of "meh" things about the ARES, and a lot of good things about the KWA. However I do understand what you're saying, but I just don't have the resources nor the guts to upgrade the G36K.

Ares isn't exactly known for their high quality parts, just high quality prices:) Not to mention they have microswitches in the GB which is the main reason I'd never consider a Ares AEG. KWA is going to be good if you don't want to open anything up. Cyma guns will require some basic shimming, regreasing, and compression mods to get them up to average and over standards. From your choices, I'd go with the KWA, stick with it until you need another gun that can get opened up and go from there. The KWA just won't take some GB upgrades as it has propietary parts:(

You are going to hate that KWA in the long run, Trust me on this, I have a standard G&P M4 with crane stock wired to deans, EVERYTHING is rock solid and lightweight EXCEPT the motor plugs ( those are weak on any gun anyway ) If you get a G&P you wont regret it. http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=37369 Thats the one I have and evike always has it in stock. G&P makes a very fine gun.

Also I've had 2 KWA's, the G36C and the SR7. The g36 is freaking amazing until something breaks, then it is expensive and you can either replace it yourself for $20 or pay KWA $65 and the SR7 is even worse because my gun barely fell ( Maybe 2 feet ) and the buffer tube snapped off.

Edited by sora4502

You are going to hate that KWA in the long run, Trust me on this, I have a standard G&P M4 with crane stock wired to deans, EVERYTHING is rock solid and lightweight EXCEPT the motor plugs ( those are weak on any gun anyway ) If you get a G&P you wont regret it. http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=37369 Thats the one I have and evike always has it in stock. G&P makes a very fine gun.

Also I've had 2 KWA's, the G36C and the SR7. The g36 is freaking amazing until something breaks, then it is expensive and you can either replace it yourself for $20 or pay KWA $65 and the SR7 is even worse because my gun barely fell ( Maybe 2 feet ) and the buffer tube snapped off.

I have been thinking about a G&P Magpul MOE Carbine but after researching I heard a lot of people having problems with them... Also do they require a LiPo stock? And Redwolf offers an upgrade service (Systema parts) also. Would you recommend that?

I have been thinking about a G&P Magpul MOE Carbine but after researching I heard a lot of people having problems with them... Also do they require a LiPo stock? And Redwolf offers an upgrade service (Systema parts) also. Would you recommend that?

the the MOE carbine is more of a G&P sportline with magpul furniture IMO, the one I linked you is AMAZING. And by require lipo stock, do you mean you can use a lipo in a stock G&P? if so then yeah, you can use a lipo in any stock gun they all wear out at different rates though. And systema parts are over rated and over priced and arent worth it compared to SHS or any other steel gear set.

I've been looking for the "Perfect Gun" to get for my birthday. Here is what I need:

~$350

Great internal quality

Great external quality

Accuracy

Range

So far these guns have stood out from everything else:

CM032A (M14 SOCOM)

KWA G36C

KWA KM16BR

ICS M16A3

ARES/Umarex G36K

I know it's a long list and may be hard to choose from considering most of these guns are pretty decent, but I need to know which one of these would be the best to get. Here is the list of pros and cons I've made up for each:

CM032A

Pros: Decent accuracy, range, exceptional externals

Cons: People have had charging handle problems

KWA G36C

Pros: Good externals, Good internals, rails

Cons: People have had hop up and piston problems (the 2GX gearbox doesn't use shims)

KWA KM16BR

Pros: Good externals, Good internals

Cons: Large weapon, people have had piston problems (explained above)

ICS M16A3

Pros: Good externals and internals (as far as I know, there are barely any reviews I've found)

Cons: Possibly a crappy glossy handguard

ARES/Umarex G36K

Pros: Great externals, exceptional internals, nice scope, extremely easy disassembly

Cons: I've heard of some internal problems with this one. Mixed reviews

I'm not good with internal work, so that is out of the question. I just need the best out of all these.

Well a short and simple answer is to look at what youve listed as cons. all of them have internal issues other then the ics m16 and the cm032 glossy handgaurds just need a little bit of sandpaper or even paint over it. the charging handle is virtually a non issue. very few people use there charging handles more than three or four times a year so a charging handles pretty useless. All in all these two are your only options if you don't want anything to go wrong that you generally cant fix yourself.