Sign in to follow this  
Big A

How to make an op work.

I typed up this scenario that we are going to be playing in May, but I just don't see it last, and if it does I can just picture everything going wrong. Can ya'll take a look at it and tell me what you think? and if you have any ideas let me know. Or if you have other ops that were used that we can re-use. It's supposed to last from Friday 5p-9p to Saturday 6a-3p. The op might seem lame, it's the first time I tried to come up with the plot. Here is a link to it. Oh yea, and keep in mind that these are a bunch of low budget players (Newbies.)

://docs.google.com/document/d/1rrF63lRyR2AcPIYKM_NIxFzXmbkg4hY70nRW3_QtrrA/edit

I typed up this scenario that we are going to be playing in May, but I just don't see it last, and if it does I can just picture everything going wrong. Can ya'll take a look at it and tell me what you think? and if you have any ideas let me know. Or if you have other ops that were used that we can re-use. It's supposed to last from Friday 5p-9p to Saturday 6a-3p. The op might seem lame, it's the first time I tried to come up with the plot. Here is a link to it. Oh yea, and keep in mind that these are a bunch of low budget players (Newbies.)

://docs.google.com/document/d/1rrF63lRyR2AcPIYKM_NIxFzXmbkg4hY70nRW3_QtrrA/edit

I think the scenario itself sounds great. You need to make sure you have a ref or otherwise reputable player on each team though, to be sure that rules are being correctly followed. I like the idea. It sounds fun, but its simple enough to set up just about anywhere. Would you be fine with someone else using this? Because I might relay this idea to the field owner at my local field to see if he might like to try out the scenario. Also, be sure to have regulations on what will happen if rules are broken, to give proper discipline to keep everyone in line. That is the only concerns I would have.

I like the idea. It sounds fun, but its simple enough to set up just about anywhere. Would you be fine with someone else using this? Because I might relay this idea to the field owner at my local field to see if he might like to try out the scenario.

You can use it, I'd be fine with that. Thanks for the tips.

It's a good base to start with.

A few suggestions...

1 - For a scenario that long you will need more objectives. You can add items they have to find that will forward their ultimate objective (ie. - kicking the US troops out/keeping the cartel in place)

Several of these objectives can be the same! This makes them fight over the objective. Some of the objectives are simple ones with no resistance to them. OF course they don't know that, so they expect contact at any moment. I've watched guys sit over an objective for 20-30 minutes trying to figure out why they've met no resistance yet.

2 - Kill the point system. I run the longest running game series in Virginia and I've never used it. From my experience watching other promoters, knowing that the objectives are worth points breeds competition, and that leads to cheating. We've had very few hit calling issues in the six years I've run the Outdoor Campaign. Nor do we have many issues at our monthly pick up games.

3 - Embedded team generals. I've found the easiest way to run the scenario is to have experienced Game staff as team generals handing out the objectives and missions. This means you don't have to run around and give each group their missions all day long. You are free to deal with the 100 other things that pop up that will require your attention. It also means that issues big enough to get to the team general will make it to you if need be. If not,, they will handle it.

4 - Game pace and flow. Set your objectives and missions so that that you give the players a break. We normally set out Outdoor Campaign missions to last about 30 minutes. We rotate the squads around on the missions. Squad A will do mission 1, while Squad B does mission 2. Squad 3 will be tasked with protecting the team base. When one of the other two squad returns with their objective, They replace Squad 3 in protecting the base and Squad 3 goes out on a mission. And each squad can run the same mission. Squad 1 can run the same mission Squad 2 ran earlier, and Squad 3 can run them both at a later time. The squads rotate all day, in a 2 active missions, 1 inactive mission all day. This allows them time to rest, refit, and re-arm, hydrate, and fix replica issues if need be. We didn't do this the first year and by the 3rd or 4rth hour players were dropping out due to exhaustion...

Hope that helps!

Edited by itsahak