buildanewgod

VFC Scar-H vs Magpul PTS Masada ACR/AKM vs G&G F2000 Hunter

I assumed it might be possible. Haha so how is Ares vs VFC? Gearbox wise

I would say sometimes close to par with VFC. Ares comes up with some good designs, like spring change and quick spring release buttons. But there are internals of course that are flawed just like the VFC. Like the cheap plastic piston heads. Those break, no idea why they are using cheap plastic for a part that shouldn't be cheap.

I know it is bad to dry fire and in this case, it shows why. But after replacing the piston head, dry firing is fine. If a gun can't handle dry firing, it needs replacement in parts or design. Dry firing is not all that bad as people make it.

Yea I have a hard time believing anyone. All techs seem to work the gearbox a little bit different. There is a lot to know and more you learn that isn't really posted online. I always want to see a gearbox for myself before I listen to someone else about a problem.

Here is what I have done different than what is posted online:

My 38mm air nozzle for a Scar-H is unique. I've wanted to install a bore-up kit to get more air in the cylinder and because I hate unique parts I upgrade anyway. I struggled with o-rings sizes and found they wouldn't fit into the nozzle as well as the nozzle cannot fit on the bore-up cylinder head. People would say, just keep the original cylinder head and upgrade the spring for more air. But I am already running a m150 and I see no point in putting more strain on my gearbox. I tried an approach (2 m4 bore-up air nozzles epoxy together) that failed in my hopup setup. The Scar hopup is unique too but it really won't break. You would have to abbuse it, well constructed. Anyway, it closes on top of the air nozzle not into like a regular m4 and because I got greedy (filed the hopup to come closer to the gearbox), the gearbox got stock and I forced it open to find the ghetto air nozzle broken. I even did a test where I pulled the air nozzle as hard as possible and it was fine. But my common sense knows a weak point is on the side and that is exactly how it got broken. It would of been fine with the normal movement of an air nozzle otherwise.

My King Arms 556 Sig Shorty had a loose air nozzle and again the size is a tiny bit off spec. I'm not into the whole flaming thing as I know how rubber reacts and would rather have a perfect fit. I check online and people suggested glue the o-ring to the back of the air nozzle. But I know that idea isn't too good. So instead I try carving the back to insert the o-ring. And of course it works, the o-ring gets stuck in position because of the carving wall and it fits. Don't have to worry about the air nozzle moving too far forward now.

And just now I finished my Scar-H unique air nozzle for a perfect fit on a bore-up cylinder head. I used my dremel with a small drill bit and just carved around the inner diameter. Took a long time before I realized only the end of the drill carves. Since I have experience with perfect compression and air nozzle movement, I only carve enough that the air nozzle kind of sticks but doesn't. What I do is hold the air nozzle and if the cylinder head slips, it is too loose. However I carved the air nozzle perfectly because in the test it would barely fall as I shook it. And to my surprise, a m4 bore-up o-ring fit perfectly inside the previous o-ring indentation. Didn't have to carve for that, how awesome!

All this started when I noticed o-rings are not perfect fit, I see it often even on new rifles. My Scar's wasn't and I decided to get away from unique parts.

After following this thread, actually just one look at the picture and I can say, that gearbox is not as solid as the VFC Scars.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Upgrades...2#entry18376102

If you look closely at the shell, it doesn't even have lining. It just has ports. The position of the wires is ockward for sure. But that doesn't mean it can't hold up to punishment. The Scars need replacement gears, the Masada might not even need replacement for a while. Most parts do not look unique but that trigger box is definitely unique.

Edited by ZaCkOX

Guest alberty

Well both are V2-based and logically will suffer the same design potential vulnerability over time. As for strength I would think both shells are similar in quality being Hong Kong or Taiwan-made. People usually report V2 shell breakages only when they have very high FPS or ROF without reinforcement, and/or if the shells are made of cheap material to being with. I don't think the OP here will be seeing a breakage from basic usage of either gun here.

The wiring position in the Masada PTS gearbox is like that because the plug goes to the front handguard, and there is microswitch assembly as opposed to the regular contacts system. Most of the other parts are compatible with aftermarket parts like the gears, bushings, piston/piston head, spring, etc...possibly the cylinder too, although I think it's a non-ported cylinder, and I'm not sure about the cylinder head. The motor is a short type but requires resoldering if you change it (don't worry, gearbox can be worked on without desoldering the motor assembly).

Well both are V2-based and logically will suffer the same design potential vulnerability over time. As for strength I would think both shells are similar in quality being Hong Kong or Taiwan-made. People usually report V2 shell breakages only when they have very high FPS or ROF without reinforcement, and/or if the shells are made of cheap material to being with. I don't think the OP here will be seeing a breakage from basic usage of either gun here.

The wiring position in the Masada PTS gearbox is like that because the plug goes to the front handguard, and there is microswitch assembly as opposed to the regular contacts system. Most of the other parts are compatible with aftermarket parts like the gears, bushings, piston/piston head, spring, etc...possibly the cylinder too, although I think it's a non-ported cylinder, and I'm not sure about the cylinder head. The motor is a short type but requires resoldering if you change it (don't worry, gearbox can be worked on without desoldering the motor assembly).

It seems to me, an Ares setup. That spring change back and the microswitch. But I only see one wire going to the motor. Oh I get it now... It is goes on the outside like a g36 from Ares.

But talking about strength of the gearbox, the VFC is a little more solid. It has lining inside. This gives way better protection than screw holes like you see in the Masada gearbox. Also the Masada has the front screw on the bottom. On the VFC Scar-H the screw is at the top. There is a big metal piece that screws in front of it for support. But I guess that wouldn't matter if we weren't going for a Scar-H anyway. Ah, I didn't think of that but that is a pro over the Scar-L.

Even with the Masada gearbox not as well protected, I don't think you would have a gearbox shell cracking easily. Looking at the gearbox though, I am sure it is very managable. Is that a plastic piston head? I hope it is not like all the other Ares ones. If so, it would need to be replaced right away.

Leaning towards the Scar right now. Will probably end up getting that. Just seems like the better choice to me after everything I have heard so far from this forum and others. So unless someone can come up with a really good reason why I should save more money for the Masada the Scar wins.

The only thing that concerns me is the gears.

Then there's the VFC HK417 which not much is known about but I really wish we did know something. Does anyone have any information about it?

Edited by MX5J6

Leaning towards the Scar right now. Will probably end up getting that. Just seems like the better choice to me after everything I have heard so far from this forum and others. So unless someone can come up with a really good reason why I should save more money for the Masada the Scar wins.

The only thing that concerns me is the gears.

Then there's the VFC HK417 which not much is known about but I really wish we did know something. Does anyone have any information about it?

I think all of the VFCs now come with self-shimming gears. I have heard the PDW has them too. If this is true, they all will have the same issue. VFCs out of the box are supposed to be accurate and that is all I have seen. Externally they are some of the best bodies hands down. That is why I would buy them. I know any airsoft gun will break down and need repair. Why not get a good one worth repairing right?

I think all of the VFCs now come with self-shimming gears. I have heard the PDW has them too. If this is true, they all will have the same issue. VFCs out of the box are supposed to be accurate and that is all I have seen. Externally they are some of the best bodies hands down. That is why I would buy them. I know any airsoft gun will break down and need repair. Why not get a good one worth repairing right?

That makes sense. Do you or alberty know much about the VFC HK416? Since the 417 is still on preorder on GI and most of the specs are TBA the 416 seems like it'd also be a viable choice?

That makes sense. Do you or alberty know much about the VFC HK416? Since the 417 is still on preorder on GI and most of the specs are TBA the 416 seems like it'd also be a viable choice?

Nope sorry. I almost bought one though. I would assume it is similar to just an M4.

Nope sorry. I almost bought one though. I would assume it is similar to just an M4.

Yeah it seems very similar to an M4 I just don't know tons about it. I have only seen a handful of unboxing videos but nothing really about its internals.

Any new info on the 417?

Edited by MX5J6

I think overall, you should feel from your heart what weapon you want. They all have issues but can be perfected later. I didn't think I was a Scar person but I am definitely long range and automatic. I built the Scar to fit me and I am happy with what I have. It is a big rifle, but a power house.

I think overall, you should feel from your heart what weapon you want. They all have issues but can be perfected later. I didn't think I was a Scar person but I am definitely long range and automatic. I built the Scar to fit me and I am happy with what I have. It is a big rifle, but a power house.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I just want to pick the right gun if I'm going to be spensing a couple hundred dollars. I also don't want to settle for a simple M4 eventhough I love M4's I want to be a little different than that. So I am looking for something like the Scar or Masada that has M4 roots but isn't simply an M4.

I was a huge M4 guy, have so many still. What about this?

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=28225

G&Gs don't really need parts changed out but sometimes the springs are weak in parts. Could have problems with the trigger and anti-reversal down the road. But I will say, I haven't had to open them quickly. Might be something to consider.

I was a huge M4 guy, have so many still. What about this?

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=28225

G&Gs don't really need parts changed out but sometimes the springs are weak in parts. Could have problems with the trigger and anti-reversal down the road. But I will say, I haven't had to open them quickly. Might be something to consider.

That is pretty nice though I prefer cqb weapons or weapons with shorter length barrels but aren't necessarily cqb and a full RIS. Can you think of anything like that? Also should be under $400 like the one you just showed me.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=32925

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=34900 (With price drop, can be internally upgraded)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=35365 (Could attach a custom RIS and upgrade internals)

Frustrating, all that fit that spec are pretty much out of stock. You could get a body like a VLTOR body. It would be different, but an M4. Similar appearance to a Masada that way. I would think if you don't want an M4, HK416 fits that line as closest.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=32925

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=34900 (With price drop, can be internally upgraded)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=35365 (Could attach a custom RIS and upgrade internals)

Frustrating, all that fit that spec are pretty much out of stock. You could get a body like a VLTOR body. It would be different, but an M4. Similar appearance to a Masada that way. I would think if you don't want an M4, HK416 fits that line as closest.

Those are pretty good. What were you looking at that was out of stock? Maybe I could find if on another site? I will think about some of those I kind of like the one thay's just a receiver and a barrel howeved I don't like that the combat machine's charging handle doesn't work. But those are some good ideas. Im thinking the 416 fits the bill best too. Though I want to zee some other options before I make a pick. As I am very picky. Haha

Im also raising my budget to just under $500 since I will be waiting a littlee longer to geg my gun. Anything else in thay price range thay ooens up my options? Like guns in the Masada price range?

Edited by MX5J6