turtletech

How can I deal with these conditions at the field?

I really started to notice today that only two types of players can really succeed on the field. People who have a high rate of fire and high ammo capacity, those with great accuracy, or those who are more skilled (which includes the field owner, but I'll talk about my issue with him later). Anyway, the issue is, that I just have a standard CYMA m14 still. It beats out a few guns, but the rate of fire isn't much good due to using a JG 8.4 (battery that came with the gun was even worse). A lot of players, however, had guns with pretty high fire rates. I've also encountered snipers, but its really hard to hit someone who has you right at their range, but just slightly past yours, and with little useful cover due to advancing forces. There is also the issue of target identification, but mostly because I am new to that field. I also have a slight issue with the owner and a group of about five very experienced players. They always seemed to team up. The team that was left was a rag tag group of new players such as myself, older players with odd weaponry at times, and a couple good experienced players, although not enough to make much of a difference. They not only did a lot better, but in a game where everyone was pretty nerfed due to rules that limited it to either LPEGs, gas pistols, shotguns, or (for some unknown reason) bolt action sniper rifles. The people with the most experience did a lot better, and the rules allowed that the players that collected a credit from one of the buildings could get their high powered AEGs. This created a lot of problems. In the next one after that, the people who survived and got their higher power AEGs got to KEEP that ability, and everyone else was spread in a way where everyone was really close, and the people who got to keep their good weaponry camped out at the building where the credits were to keep anyone else from getting there. After that, however, we started playing a few capture the flag, capture the base, etc games. I also have to note out that the games always sort of favored the highly experienced players, and the field owner did little to stop them from all sticking together because he was also one of them. Sorry for the rant, but I just want to know some tips for surviving better in the next game, becuase it was hard to do any bit well.

One of the most important things to do in a proper skirmish is COMMUNICATE. If you have bad comm between teammates... well you are gonna have to die. If you play with a bunch of Newbies, well, set up and become their squad leader, tell them EXACTLY what to do. I believe this is one of rules in the Art of War. The commander has to make their commands clear. I, on many occasions, play with disorganized teammates during scenario games, and I set up, and tell them what to do, and try the best that we can to accomplish our objectives.

another thing would be to asses your advantages and disadvantages. Try to emphasize your advantages, and mitigate your disadvantages. For example, if you are on a hill, overlooking an enemy, employ snipers. If the vice versa is true, don't engage. Whoever has the height advantage will usually win out in a firefight.

Try not to engage head on. Always attempt to flank. These are pretty much what I can think of on the top of my head.

Finer details... those really come with experience. The more you play, the better you can assess different situations and act accordingly.

#1 - paragraphs are a wonderful thing...

#2 - You don't have to play there. Play at another field, or find a place where you can LEGALLY play and get some buddies.

#3 - As suggested, learn better tactics, and learn better game skills. We all started out somewhere near the bottom and had to learn. Some days your the hammer, some days your the nail...

#4 - The most important part is this. Remember how you feel now. When you see new players entering the game, try and take at least one under your wing and teach them what you've learned. And pass it on so that they do the same...

Wow, love number #4. im with you though turtletech, unbalanced teams make newbies suffer and isnt fair. but hey, if youre a good player, specially if you know each other, youd want to play with them. my suggestion would be to first learn the terrian, get a feel for where people like to go and play smart. no rambowing and use cover where it is available. above all, just have fun and be safe. youll work your way into that "group" if you stay positive :-)

Those guys that "team up" on the rest of you do so because they are a team, and if they are anything like my team, they train together all the time, which is why they kick y'alls butt every time. My suggestion seems obvious, but I'll say it anyway...Play more, get out and train rigorously, run drills often, exercise, and keep at it to keep your skills sharp. Those guys that your trying to make out as cruel or mean probably started out just like you and I did, and were once the "newbs" on the field.

The way I look at it is a lot like politics and the redistribution of wealth. Why should I be forced to split my team up when we've worked our butts off to get to where we are, just so the rest of the people on the field don't feel so overwhelmed, when they most likely don't train at all. Again, most people start Airsoft at the bottom of the ladder, climb your way up like the rest of us and stop whining. Rant over :)

Having all that said, at least speaking for my team, and teams at a similar skill level to us, we aren't jerks or sharks, and won't bite your head off, my suggestion is to come to the team your having "problems" with and kindly ask them if they would mind helping y'all out by splitting the teams up for a few games, most of us play Airsoft because it's fun, and I for one don't like seeing the new guys not having fun.

- Leaf

Strategy is the key to win in airsoft from my experiences. I have seen a kid in a CQB place with a springer do extremely well simply because of his hit-and-run tactics. I've seen it work countless times, such as:

Sending a distraction of a couple people, drawing the fire away to flank

Smartly thrown grenades (if they are allowed) cause a jolt of fear and distract everyone

Being sneaky, not opening fire whenever you see someone, get up close enough until you know you'll hit them

Get down, let the enemy pass, and then shoot them from behind. This is probably one of the most effective, gets me hit a lot!

Firing in a general direction causing the enemy to cover, then quickly go in for the kill (risky)

There are infinitely more, these are just the most effective ones off the top of my head. Hope this helps :cool:

Edited by Tortoise

Winning isn't everything, you know, I have lots of fun even if my team loses 5 rounds in a row. Of course it's fun to win the match, but for me it's not essential for me to have fun on the field. If I can get a few "kills" during the day, and actually be useful for my team, then it's been a successfull match for me.

I guess maybe I just have a more relaxed attitude towards the game. It's not like I don't try and win, of course I try and get "kills" and help my team win, but losing a couple rounds won't ruin the day for me as long as I have fun.

Those guys that "team up" on the rest of you do so because they are a team, and if they are anything like my team, they train together all the time, which is why they kick y'alls butt every time. My suggestion seems obvious, but I'll say it anyway...Play more, get out and train rigorously, run drills often, exercise, and keep at it to keep your skills sharp. Those guys that your trying to make out as cruel or mean probably started out just like you and I did, and were once the "newbs" on the field.

The way I look at it is a lot like politics and the redistribution of wealth. Why should I be forced to split my team up when we've worked our butts off to get to where we are, just so the rest of the people on the field don't feel so overwhelmed, when they most likely don't train at all. Again, most people start Airsoft at the bottom of the ladder, climb your way up like the rest of us and stop whining. Rant over :)

Having all that said, at least speaking for my team, and teams at a similar skill level to us, we aren't jerks or sharks, and won't bite your head off, my suggestion is to come to the team your having "problems" with and kindly ask them if they would mind helping y'all out by splitting the teams up for a few games, most of us play Airsoft because it's fun, and I for one don't like seeing the new guys not having fun.

- Leaf

I guess you make some good points, however, I was simply complaining that they all team up together even before teams are formed by the old style of having to team leaders pick people. Even then, it is a little unfair sometimes to have games highly favor those who do well, especially with games where respawns are highly limited.

Then find a way to get around behind them and take them out.

We have a group of guys that does exactly what you are complaining about, that you do. And we have tried to show them how to run as a group and they always refuse to. We have done many 6 guys Vs. 15 guys.... my team being the 6, and just from us working together and talking to each other we rolled the entire team in no time. Doesn't matter if you are attacking or defending, if you don't talk to each other you will loose.

What the other team would do while us 6 were defending a point was this......... We held a flag in a central location surrounded by trees on three sides, and a river on the other side. The other team spread out on a line and walked towards the flag.... while my team was set up ready for the attack. But as soon as the other team was in sight they stopped and took to cover. They didn't move, they didn't do anything except sit there and look at us and the others on their team. This gave me time to slip away with my sniper rifle and get behind them. When they did decide to attack us, they would send one or two guys at a time to try and break through....well guess what. 2 guys against 5 guys isn't going to end well. All the while they never once talked to each other to let the rest know that there was only 5 guys at the base and someone was missing. I crawled up behind their "leader" and put two quick rounds to the back of his head, and then the team really fell apart.

While they did have a "leader" he didn't do anything except get his guys to a point, tell them to retreat, and then try to take the ground back. So with him gone we just walked out, and started from one side of their "line" and picked them off one at a time. With 6 guys working together we were able to work down their line and destroy their entire team.

When the round was over they were pissed that the "good" team used them as targets, so we switched sides and asked if they wanted to change teams up..... nope they all said. Well while we were attacking we rolled them again. Why....... Because we worked together and took them out as a group. As one fire team was attacking from one side, my spotter and myself slipped in from behind them and started to take them out from the back, while another fire team was flanking the rest of them and destroying them again.

Even though we were vastly out numbered we won each time....if we were not working as a team and talking to each other the game would have ended very differently.

I honestly see nothing wrong with the the "other guys" were doing during your game. If you want to get better keep playing with those guys, and you will learn.

I really started to notice today that only two types of players can really succeed on the field. People who have a high rate of fire and high ammo capacity, those with great accuracy, or those who are more skilled (which includes the field owner, but I'll talk about my issue with him later). Anyway, the issue is, that I just have a standard CYMA m14 still. It beats out a few guns, but the rate of fire isn't much good due to using a JG 8.4 (battery that came with the gun was even worse). A lot of players, however, had guns with pretty high fire rates. I've also encountered snipers, but its really hard to hit someone who has you right at their range, but just slightly past yours, and with little useful cover due to advancing forces. There is also the issue of target identification, but mostly because I am new to that field. I also have a slight issue with the owner and a group of about five very experienced players. They always seemed to team up. The team that was left was a rag tag group of new players such as myself, older players with odd weaponry at times, and a couple good experienced players, although not enough to make much of a difference. They not only did a lot better, but in a game where everyone was pretty nerfed due to rules that limited it to either LPEGs, gas pistols, shotguns, or (for some unknown reason) bolt action sniper rifles. The people with the most experience did a lot better, and the rules allowed that the players that collected a credit from one of the buildings could get their high powered AEGs. This created a lot of problems. In the next one after that, the people who survived and got their higher power AEGs got to KEEP that ability, and everyone else was spread in a way where everyone was really close, and the people who got to keep their good weaponry camped out at the building where the credits were to keep anyone else from getting there. After that, however, we started playing a few capture the flag, capture the base, etc games. I also have to note out that the games always sort of favored the highly experienced players, and the field owner did little to stop them from all sticking together because he was also one of them. Sorry for the rant, but I just want to know some tips for surviving better in the next game, becuase it was hard to do any bit well.

Although a high ROF is very helpful for when spraying plastic, you don't need it to succeed. Try being a DM, and chill with the snipers and be able to back them up because they cant go fully auto.

Although a high ROF is very helpful for when spraying plastic, you don't need it to succeed. Try being a DM, and chill with the snipers and be able to back them up because they cant go fully auto.

That is what I was thinking. Tune up the gearbox a bit to improve compression, maybe get a slightly better spring (but keep it under 420, the field limit for full auto), install an R Hop, and a Prometheus barrel. I think that should be good enough. Plus, as you pointed out, full auto still.

I will go up against any player with a high ROF rifle any day of the week. Give me a single shot, or my shot gun, and I will give him a run for his money.

Just because your rifle can shoot a bazillion rounds a minute, that doesn't mean you are going to hit what you are shooting at. To many people think that just because they can throw a ton of plastic down range means that they are going to hit what they are shooting at. If you don't know what you are doing you are going to loose.

Same goes for the guys that have tons of money into their rifles....... just because you have a crap load of money into your rifle, doesn't mean that it is going to make you a better player.

The weapon is only a small factor when it comes to surviving in a game ;)

That is what I was thinking. Tune up the gearbox a bit to improve compression, maybe get a slightly better spring (but keep it under 420, the field limit for full auto), install an R Hop, and a Prometheus barrel. I think that should be good enough. Plus, as you pointed out, full auto still.

Mad bull barrel would be better IMO.

As for your problems at your field. Bring this up to other players. While the owner might not like it, I'm sure you could get multiple people to start complaining about the teams and require him to switch them up. if he doesn't you have a few options. Switch fields, Get friends to go with you, communication and get better at the game :P I don't think I need to go into much detail.

A high rof gun won't win the game for you. Not even a 500-600fps HPA sniper rifle with a fortune invested in it will win the game for you. I've taken out people with heavily upgraded sniper rifles with a bone stock AK without optics. Wanna know why, I brought the right tool for the job and I had the common sense to actual fin cover. The sniper was just sitting in the open, thinking his HPA sniper made him invincible. Think 3 dimentionally, use your sences to sense movement around you, I use my ears as much as my eyes to spot enemies on the field.

I don't claim to be a "veteran", but as I used to say back when I played EVE online, "dying is a very effective way to learn". So, whenever you "die" on the field, think about how they got you, what could you have done to not get hit? I know one of my greatest flaws is I'm impatient and also that I tend to flinch when I run into an opponent. Some times I really have to think about squeezing the trigger if an opponent is right in front of me. :a-laugh: The people above me also have a very good point about communication, communication is a key element in succesfull tactics. Also don't let the "godlike" players intimidate you, you gotta have guts, they aren't immune to your bb's because of their experience and abilities.

I did not get past the first 2 sentences of the OP.. lol.. He just said...

The only players thatare successful, are the good ones... lol..

No, what I meant was that the only players who do any bit well are those with experience and really good guns. The games were really unfair to those with less experience.

Guest alberty
No, what I meant was that the only players who do any bit well are those with experience and really good guns. The games were really unfair to those with less experience.

So you're suggesting a mandatory handicap?

It takes time to gain experience...

Just because your rifle can shoot a bazillion rounds a minute, that doesn't mean you are going to hit what you are shooting at. To many people think that just because they can throw a ton of plastic down range means that they are going to hit what they are shooting at. If you don't know what you are doing you are going to loose.

Same goes for the guys that have tons of money into their rifles....... just because you have a crap load of money into your rifle, doesn't mean that it is going to make you a better player.

The weapon is only a small factor when it comes to surviving in a game ;)

I definitely believe in this. I have a friend that installed a mosfet chip inside his JG M4 S-System and everyone thinks it's so cool because it's been upgraded (They don't realize how little upgraded it is) and it's rate of fire. And to me a super high rate of fire is nothing but something to waste your ammo.

it is the exact same thing.. lol...

This would be like complaining that guys with higher COD ranking are better than the new players of the game.. Time brings experience, and if you can afford to do so, why not have the better gear.. Military's all over the world do it.. don't they?

Bad Kharma in Tn offers what they call "Newbie Day", this is a day for experienced players to mentor the new players. Share their experience and hopefully get them in the right direction to becoming better players.. Eventually the "Newbies" become the mentors.. Se how that works?

It has been this way in Airsoft since day one.

Here are your options...

Make experienced players use realcap mags..

Limit the amount of mags they can carry

tie one of their arms behind their backs

No modified guns

JG only games

Pistol Only (No TM or KWA)

Semi only

No Tactics allowed

No running

Not allowed to use cover

OR, tell the other players to get better..

it is the exact same thing.. lol...

This would be like complaining that guys with higher COD ranking are better than the new players of the game.. Time brings experience, and if you can afford to do so, why not have the better gear.. Military's all over the world do it.. don't they?

What I was meaning, if anyone cares, is that the games actually give them bonuses of sorts, whether it be some form of extra lives, or allowing them to do more. Plus, I do wish my field would host more games with respawns. It helps to keep the game flow fluid and also helps to make it a little more fun if you make a mistake (First game we had respawns, I died while trying to look forward towards the enemy base, as a more experienced player told me to do, just before getting to a tower to get a better shooting position. Luckily, I respawned and actually helped by spotting and keeping a sniper out of the way by means of suppressive fire and distraction).

Guest alberty

I think you should complain to the field owners instead. Tell them that the games should be run your way and not their way.