Sign in to follow this  
firefish360

good gears bad pistol or good piston bad gears

hi I just purchased a cqb g&p magpul m4 and the piston and gears are appernly bad so I want to have a back up pair to replace them for when they break. im looking for desent rof like mid twenties and I run a 9.6 nimh and a 7.4 lipo and I cant decide if I should get a good pistol like the super core piston and a mid line to bad set of gears and just replace them often or buy good gears and a bad piston and just replace the piston often. or should I just buy middle to upper line of both. whats my best option my max money would be around 100$ any help is appresiated.

Or... Buy a SHS Gearset, and a Shooter 7 Steel or 14 tooth Piston, Pay about $40 Bucks, Worst Case Scenario Damage a ARL latch. Best cash scenario, have a Performing AEG that Will Probobly outlast its contacts burning out.

Used the $60 bucks left over to party, buy gear, or accesories.

^ I will simply second this.

SHS 18:1's + Super Shooter Piston are a great way to go for any standard performing AEG. Both are extremely durable and cheap; my SHS 16:1's handle an M110 with zero issues at 20+ rps, and my Super Shooter piston handled its M130 without a problem until I downgraded the gun to an M120 - it's still in pristine condition after ~5000 rounds at 20+ rps as well at that FPS.

SHS gears with 1st gen bevels are actually amazingly good for the price, probably the last thing that will fail in your gearbox. You should definitely replace 2nd gen bevels, they will kill your AR latch. I also use a JG bevel with my 16:1 set, it runs really smooth. I used a Systema bevel first, and well, Systema gears are indeed as bad as the rumors say...

For that kind of money you could go with a SHS full metal tooth rack poly piston. OR a UFC carbon steel teeth poly that is better (out of stock though). Guarder gears are pretty nice but usually do not fit the bushings or bearings of other brands. Slight modification is usually required.

^ I will simply second this.

SHS 18:1's + Super Shooter Piston are a great way to go for any standard performing AEG. Both are extremely durable and cheap; my SHS 16:1's handle an M110 with zero issues at 20+ rps, and my Super Shooter piston handled its M130 without a problem until I downgraded the gun to an M120 - it's still in pristine condition after ~5000 rounds at 20+ rps as well at that FPS.

^ This This so much.

I got a DMR on SHS 18:1 gears (gen 1) pulling a M150 spring with the 14 tooth steel piston, there is some wear but its just the black coating worn off on the last tooth and pick up tooth. There are no depressions on the piston teeth or the Sector gear

And you know what? Echo-1 Is Rebranding Shooter/Shs Products now, and Calling it a part of there *MAX* series of internals, Basiclly a fancy way to make more bucks off it....

Guarder gears are pretty nice but usually do not fit the bushings or bearings of other brands. Slight modification is usually required.

I whole heatedly second this. When I put the Guarder gears in my brothers gun, they had to be modified to fit the bushings. Other than that though, they run nicely.

The matrix piston is pretty junky and you can do better with an SHS or Lonex/Bravo piston.

For your desired ROF, you are gonna need to Short Stroke...

The recommendations provided so far have been good ones...

I use the 14 tooth SHS piton in my G&P's (All 3 of them), along with Standard (18:1) JG gears... This setup works great and has not failed me yet... The thing is, my ROF on all of my builds is 21 rps with a 7.4v lipo or 9.6v NIMH battery... I am at 31-33 rps with 11.1v lipos on this same setup..

I usually get all my parts shipped for under $40.... That is, Gears and Piston... It might be under $30 shipped.. I forget.. But it is cheap.. Though I shop with Ehobby fr them..

If I short Stroked this setup, I could reach the Mid 20's you said you wanted very easily. And still have an extremely reliable setup.