to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
MoHAlixPr

Cheapest but Best Eye Protection

Guest alberty

"Best" and "Cheapest" can't go together...

Well, I can't sit here and determine what eye protection is the best overall, but I can at least say that full seal eye protection is really what you want. A full seal prevents BBs, and other stuff, from getting to your eye area from any section of the goggles. If you only wear shooting glasses, something can get through any openings, and additionally there's a change that the shooting glasses can fall off or get knocked off if they don't come with some kind of strap.

Something ANSI-rated would be the best, but a little less is okay. However, don't think "shatterproof" sunglasses are good airsoft eye protection.

Something ANSI-rated would be the best, but a little less is okay.

NO. ANSI rated is essential. I'd suggest contacting a surplus dealer. Surplus ESS Land Ops and Arena Flackjack goggles can be had fairly cheaply as surplus, especially if this is going to be a bulk buy. Both are full seal and exceed the necessary ANSI Z87.1 rating. (They are built to military specs.)

Guest alberty
NO. ANSI rated is essential. I'd suggest contacting a surplus dealer. Surplus ESS Land Ops and Arena Flackjack goggles can be had fairly cheaply as surplus, especially if this is going to be a bulk buy. Both are full seal and exceed the necessary ANSI Z87.1 rating. (They are built to military specs.)

Sorry, I meant in regards for basic, non-high-tier MilSim games. A lot of people do wear masks that were designed only for paintball/airsoft, for airsoft, and those lenses are not ANSI-rated.

Understandably yes, the ANSI-rated is the best.

My school is starting an airsoft club and I'm going to dabble to see if it gets successful before I drop some dough on it. I need some good eye protection that's also cheap. What would you recommend? One that dosen't fog easily is desired.

Also, what is the benefit of goggles versus glasses?

Glasses are not fully sealed so BBs can still hit your eye. They can also fall off much more easily. You should get goggles or a face mask. If you are going with goggles, I suggest you get a FlakJak. If you are going the face mask route get a vForce paintball mask.

Do you wear sunglasses? If you do I would say pony up the extra money for Oakley or ESS, they are super comfortable and are a joy to wear when not playing airsoft (good luck catching me without one on my face) and then you get the added protection of ballistic rated over just ANSI rated. These glasses will last you forever, and if you decide to get into shooting, or something that may require ballistic glasses later in life, you have them. If that is just not an option, check out EBAY, I got a set of ESS goggles for 20 bucks shipped. They are military issue so you can find a lot of guys selling them cause they don't like them (I did the same with my WileyX when I deployed.)

But if all you want is the barest minimum, you can go to Home Depot or any other hardware store and get a 5 buck pair of ANSI safety glasses.

Guest alberty
Do the flak jak goggles disrupt aiming at all? I have a hakotsu mask dremeled down to the foam and I still cant aim properly.

Uh, wouldn't your issue there be from the Iron Face mask and not the goggles then? I'm sure that with most goggles alone you can get a proper cheek weld, as that's how they should be designed.

But regardless, eye protection is more important.

you'll find with alot full seal goggles that its harder to look down low profile sights and get a good cheek weld due to their deapth. Saying that I wouldn't advise non-sealed glasses as 100% of the eye injuries I've seen over 15 yers play have been down to bbs getting in the gaps around glasses. These are a fairly reasonably priced quality fulll seal goggle http://www.PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO EBAY SITES. COPY AND PASTE AD DETAILS HERE - THEIR ADS GO AWAY AFTER 90 DAYS/itm/Bolle-X500-Attacke...=item3a75bb62ab .They also have a thermal lens to help with fogging ,they are a bit bulky though.

I can't believe no one has suggested Revision Exoshield Low-Profile Goggles

Cheap, and can take 12 gauge rounds. Can't beat that.

I use them, and honestly the field of view is great, and I have full peripheral vision with them on. Nothing blocks my view.

Edited by 'Raven'

Well obviously the ver 2 is newer. the arena flak jaks are mainly surplus goggles that were made for the military, since there is an over abundance, they can be found for cheap. I have a pair that I got for 20 bucks and they worked great. I don't really see what the difference is. if I were you, I would go with the revision exo sheilds or the arena flakjaks, its your choice.

+1 on Arena Flakjaks...I run one in humid weather and I barely ever fog as long as I maintain the lenses like just rinsing it in water and letting it air dry so there's no sweat or such build up causing fog.

I can second that. Remove the bottom vents, and they are perfect (bottom safer to remove as BB is more likely to enter from the top on the field than the bottom. Open top for CQB, as ricochets are common.) I've never had any fog even on the hottest, most humid days I've played airsoft.

Bolle Cobra safety goggles are 2010 Z87.1 + impact rated and are full seal. They sell for $30 and up on airsoft sites, but you can get them from safety retailers for $12.00:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/254-cb-40091.html

I wear them for all outdoor games now (I still wear Desert Locust and a mesh mask for CQB.) I brought two pair to Berget this year and last year and the work just fine.

Do the flak jak goggles disrupt aiming at all? I have a hakotsu mask dremeled down to the foam and I still cant aim properly.

I run flakjacks. and for $30 bucks, I am very impressed. ive had them for a year an 1/2 and they havent fogged up one at all, and I do weekly airsoft events. you still get a rly good cheak weld, even with a mask. but the lenses do scratch easly if not taken with care. but in the long run you will definetly benifet. :a-wink:

So, I'm fairly new to Airsoft..... but I played and still play paintball.

Just curious as to why there seems to be no thermal lenses? I wouldn't dream of wearing a paintball mask without thermal lenses.

I sweat a lot when I play and create a lot of heat, so I cannot afford to have my lenses fogging up on me during play. I've been following this thread for a while now and have been eyeballing (pun intended :a-laugh: ) the flakjack surplus.

I play strictly CQB.

Guest alberty
Just curious as to why there seems to be no thermal lenses? I wouldn't dream of wearing a paintball mask without thermal lenses.

I'm not sure about standalone goggles, but fullface masks definitely have thermal lenses as options. I guess military-grade goggles already have a similar level of anti-fog coating to skip having a dual-pane thermal system.

Arena Flakjaks are a suggestion since they're milspec eye protection that's much cheaper than a good paintball mask, considering that fullface masks are not required for airsoft (as you can use separate lower face protection instead).

How are they with fogging?

I gooped them up with "Cat Crap" anti-fog and had no problems after doing so while wearing them with a hat. I DID however have issues when wearing them with a full-wrapped shemagh (over head and face), but I think that would present issues for most eyewear.