to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
tyqre

G&g combat machine stripped piston

So I was using an 11.1v lipo in my CM and the piston stripped along with the spur gear. I replaced both with spare JG and Echo1 piston and spur gear I had lying around. I was just wondering what could have caused this. Is it just the extra wear of the 11,1 or is there something deeper to look into? also, what piston would you recommend to prevent this from happening again?

All what you need to do is remove the first 2 teeth on the piston and sector gear. You'll lose 25 or so fps but an upgrade spring will compensate.

Ok sounds like a plan. Those where the two teeth that god tripped anyway so I could just shave those two off and use the G&G piston again. And the sector gear is the one that comes in contact with the piston, correct?

Guest alberty

One factor that could have caused it is improper angle of engagement. Using an average stock setup and 8.4v-9.6v NiMH battery, the effect of angle of engagement wouldn't be too strong. But once you introduce the higher power 11.1v lipo battery, you increase the speed in which the gears are cycling and so the effects of angle of engagement--mainly, stripping piston teeth and/or stripping gear teeth--become more apparently.

So, assuming your replacement piston and gear mesh well with the existing gears, then think about correcting angle of engagement. Check out some guides here on the forum.

The first two teeth from the sector and piston? Ah noo... don't listen to that. I think he meant the second tooth. No way would you ever remove the first tooth off a piston. And second it is not necessary to remove any teeth from the sector.

Edit: If you are planning to correct AOE, it is the second tooth. I don't know why we would count the front of the piston's teeth as 1. Gear contact is 1. He must be mean short stroking and that would be the last 2 teeth in contact. Less work is the last 2 teeth off the sector.

Edited by ZaCkOX

The first two teeth from the sector and piston? Ah noo... don't listen to that. I think he meant the second tooth. No way would you ever remove the first tooth off a piston. And second it is not necessary to remove any teeth from the sector.

Edit: If you are planning to correct AOE, it is the second tooth. I don't know why we would count the front of the piston's teeth as 1. Gear contact is 1. He must be mean short stroking and that would be the last 2 teeth in contact. Less work is the last 2 teeth off the sector.

ummmmmm, your wrong, read through this,

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Budget-H...ide-t95275.html

and that is a pinned thread...

Not wrong, it is how you look at the piston. If you want to call the front tooth = the first sure, but first tooth should be the one in contact first. FIRST TOOTH. I know we call it the other way.

Edit: Not necessary to remove teeth from the sector. If you want to short stroke sure, but not all setups need it removed. He could even go a stronger motor and stronger spring. I've been inside many Combat Machines that used a lipo 11.1v without short stroking gears. It shouldn't have to be necessary.

Edited by ZaCkOX

Not wrong, it is how you look at the piston. If you want to call the front tooth = the first sure, but first tooth should be the one in contact first. FIRST TOOTH. I know we call it the other way.

ohhh, ok, I see the front has the end closer to the piston head. sorry for the confusion