Sign in to follow this  
SaintApoc

G36 Battery Box Mod

So, I have a project that's been sitting in my room for a year that I want to revisit. Note that in its current state, it has been skirmished about a dozen times without issue. However, I am still open to constructive criticism, as I expect to meet it anyway.

I wanted an sl9, but apparently it is a discontinued gun.

I have a TM G36C (I actually don't know if it's a China clone and wouldn't know how to tell, so I'm assuming it's a TM because that's what it says on the gun).

The original idea was to have a strong gun with high quality and nice aesthetics. You're about to see some pictures that do not reflect that idea, but I'm content with how it came out anyway.

After buying a JG and having by far the worst experience as far as trigger response goes, I went with TM because I thought it would be better. I was right, except the fps was a low 285 (stock). I bought a "Matrix / Echo1 Complete Reinforced Gearbox w/ Motor for G36C / G36 Series Airsoft AEG" off of evike (I don't know if I can put the actual item's link) with a claimed stock fps range of 330 - 400 (huge gap, but anything's better than 285). I have not chronographed my gun, but it is more than skirmish-able.

The gun was sprayed tan because I wanted to see what it would look like (it's actually not a very good paint job, but it still looks great to me).

The stock battery was such a piece of junk (I think it had under 800mAh, and fully charged lasted all of about 4 minutes. I bought a 7.4v 8000mAh LiPo battery (for rc cars) and was sorely disappointed when I did not take the size into account. I bought a cheap box that could handle the size (there isn't a battery box on the market I could find that would fit this Mother of All Batteries). The battery adapters did not fit the stock connector on the gun, so I lengthened the wire and put on a wire connector from an old airsoft battery I had lying around (from a DE M85 that I used when I first got into the sport). The balancer/charger I'm using also had to have the wires modded to fit the battery. The wires are only twisted and taped; I have the worst hands when it comes to soldering.

DSC02304.jpg

The stock fuse was blown at the very first trigger pull with that battery; it has been bypassed and therefore I've been taking very short trigger pulls. From what I understand, slo-blo 30a 250v fuses are ideal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The gun did not come with a flash hider when I bought it, and I don't like the handguard anyway.

I want a full length hand-guard with a full length barrel. I do not like the RIS one that seems ideal for my build; I like the one with the built in bipod (though it could lose that bipod). Unfortunately, it does not have screw holes on the side for optional rails, and so my battery box cannot be mounted normally to the gun like I have it now.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I might be able to house this huge battery to the gun with that handguard (like on the jg g608-5)?

I want to keep this battery, so no... I don't want to just get a different battery.

Also, reloading low-caps is such a pain in the butt. I wanted an electric c-mag, but research indicates that they jam often. Can anyone confirm or bust that? I don't like high-caps because they are usually black and it just doesn't feel as realistic if I don't have to reload the gun once every 50 shots. But if I had a c-mag, I could hold way more shots, and it would be sorta ok because it's a drum.

Lastly, I disagree with tight-bore barrels because they jam easier (as far as I know). I was thinking about getting a full length 6.03mm inner barrel to compensate for a longer outer barrel. Is this necessary, or will the gun run fine if I just keep the short inner barrel?

Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it. I'm sorry it's so long.

DSC02305.jpg

I ran a jumper wire over the top of the GB, used a soldering iron to burn a hole in the top of the stock, re-routed the wire through the whole, and used a battery bag on the stock.

Another thing I did was drill down below the top rail and ran the wire out through that and to the stock, again with a battery bag.

I had pics somewhere. I'll see if I can find them...

I ran a jumper wire over the top of the GB, used a soldering iron to burn a hole in the top of the stock, re-routed the wire through the hole, and used a battery bag on the stock.

Another thing I did was drill down below the top rail and ran the wire out through that and to the stock, again with a battery bag.

Thank you for the astoundingly fast reply, coupled with a pretty good idea. I can't believe I didn't even think of using a battery bag. Not only would having the battery at the stock reduce the absolute hideousness of the gun, but it would reduce front end weight by a lot. If you can't find pictures, that's quite alright; I understand and this is currently the best solution. Thanks again

I ran a jumper wire over the top of the GB, used a soldering iron to burn a hole in the top of the stock, re-routed the wire through the whole, and used a battery bag on the stock.

I also use a battery bagexcept I rewired the gun to the rear. All I did was cut out a small area for the wiring to go. In the picture it looks as if the wires are pinched but they are not.

post-70465-1339446074_thumb.jpg

I also use a battery bagexcept I rewired the gun to the rear. All I did was cut out a small area for the wiring to go. In the picture it looks as if the wires are pinched but they are not.
May I ask how you managed to rewire the gun? The gearbox I have has the wires in the front, and I don't really see how it can go to the back without the body pinching the wires

May I ask how you managed to rewire the gun? The gearbox I have has the wires in the front, and I don't really see how it can go to the back without the body pinching the wires

I agree with No. 6, I have two G36s with those stocks and they are awesome for their fit and function. Bot of them run 11.1v 40c 2650Mah LiPo's in them and can fit up to 12v NiMh batteries, though it would be a tight fit.

Rewiring the gun is easy, go to your local hobby store and pick up about oh... 1, maybe 2 ft of red and black 16awg wire; silicone, low res, silver coated, high strand all work well, I use Turnigy wire which is basically all of these and works flawlessly. Once you get them, get some Deans connectors also at this store and crack your gun open.

All you need to do is see where the red wires go, then resolder the new wire pointing towards the back and into the stock. A couple of 12A resetting fuses wired into the positive line will replace any obsolete gas tube fuses. Solder the deans on after you measure and you should be good.

Also... ta-dah! Google is thy friend

Now this is technically an AK gearbox but.... yeah whatever, they're the same thing basically. Make it look like that and you can use the Deans connectors and wire it comes with to reach the back of the stock.

marui-parts-ak-27_big.jpg

Edited by Jerichow

I agree with No. 6, I have two G36s with those stocks and they are awesome for their fit and function. Bot of them run 11.1v 40c 2650Mah LiPo's in them and can fit up to 12v NiMh batteries, though it would be a tight fit.

Rewiring the gun is easy, go to your local hobby store and pick up about oh... 1, maybe 2 ft of red and black 16awg wire; silicone, low res, silver coated, high strand all work well, I use Turnigy wire which is basically all of these and works flawlessly. Once you get them, get some Deans connectors also at this store and crack your gun open.

All you need to do is see where the red wires go, then resolder the new wire pointing towards the back and into the stock. A couple of 12A resetting fuses wired into the positive line will replace any obsolete gas tube fuses. Solder the deans on after you measure and you should be good.

Also... ta-dah! Google is thy friend

Now this is technically an AK gearbox but.... yeah whatever, they're the same thing basically. Make it look like that and you can use the Deans connectors and wire it comes with to reach the back of the stock.

marui-parts-ak-27_big.jpg

Thank you; I did a lot of research last night actually and saw some old threads with pictures, videos, and full detailed descriptions. I'm good to go, unless anyone has anymore input. Thank you