Sign in to follow this  
FWSIV

Son wants a SCAR

My son is looking for a SCAR- mostly plays backyard.

His choice is the D-Boys. From poking around on WWW I came across a couple of reviews that caught my eye. One for the gun my son wants and the other for the AGM SACR-L. After reading and looking around a little more I'm still lost and confused.

Of these two choices which would be better out of the box?

Does one model offer itself up to easier/common upgrades?

He has another AGM model 031 M4A1 that didn't last that long before it started to mess up. So I'm a little hestiant to get another AGM. I think that we may try to fix this now that I've found plenty of great info here- that will be another thread.

He did list one other gun- an ECHO 1 M4 Troy that he was interested in.

Thanks in advance for any help on this purchase.

Chip

Guest alberty

If possible, I think the Echo 1 M4 Troy might be a better choice for someone less experienced. M4 AEGs are easier to work on, should something need fixing or upgrading, and there's a lot more parts available for the M4 to customize with in the future. However, the battery of that particular model does go in the stock so you need to be careful with wiring placement so the wiring does not get pinched.

As for SCAR-Ls, specifically, I think the DBoys and AGM ones are both similar in performance and quality. I don't suggest them for beginners because the gearbox is very hard to take out, and there's parts that are unique to the SCAR-L that can be difficult to replace should something be broken.

Guest alberty
Does this apply to all SCAR-L AEGs? Or just these models?

In a way, all. All because, each manufacturer's SCAR-L may be different. Obviously, a less common gun needs its own specific parts. If you have something good quality in the first place, that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a basic breakdown:

SCAR-L externals in general compared to M4 externals:

- only the pistol grip, bucking, nub, and inner barrel are cross-compatible, rest of the body is unique to the model

- different hop-up unit

SCAR-L gearbox in general as compared to M4 gearbox:

- different air nozzle

- different selector switch plate & selector switch gear set

- shell may or may not have the metal loop for mag catch

- wiring set plug will be in different configuration than most

Some different SCAR-L types:

Classic Army SCAR-L:

DBoys/Echo 1 and AGM are clones of it so only these three can possibly share parts

G&G SCAR-L:

? I think there's some unique parts. Not sure what its internals are like, sorry.

VFC SCAR-L:

Uses the "wireless" contacts system for batteries, so externals and gearbox wiring are not the same

Tokyo Marui SCAR-L Recoil Shock:

Unique everything including the mags

STAR/ARES SCAR-L:

A lot of unique parts I think

G&G or VFC. The Star and TM contain too many proprietary parts to upgrade. However, if you want performance over looks, another M4 would probably be the way to go. Don't forget that there are a ton of M4 external upgrades that can make your M4 unique.

G&G has better internals, but VFC has nicer externals. I would get the VFC and then try to upgrade it internally. If you search this forum, you may find some of my 3+ year old posts about building a VFC Scar build... I'll try to find them if I can.

G&G or VFC. The Star and TM contain too many proprietary parts to upgrade. However, if you want performance over looks, another M4 would probably be the way to go. Don't forget that there are a ton of M4 external upgrades that can make your M4 unique.

G&G has better internals, but VFC has nicer externals. I would get the VFC and then try to upgrade it internally. If you search this forum, you may find some of my 3+ year old posts about building a VFC Scar build... I'll try to find them if I can.

This is helpful-

But in the end- if I'm not versed at modding, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy better internals?

This is helpful-

But in the end- if I'm not versed at modding, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy better internals?

It is much cheaper to purchase better internals than better externals. Externals can be very expensive and there are not very many, if any at all, companies that sell body upgrade kits for the SCAR. If you purchase the VFC, you will have a very nice AEG with trademarks. If you purchase the G&G, you will have an AEG with only decent externals.

I think that answers your question...

Guest alberty
As far as your cost range...I'd try to find an Echo 1 ASR. But in my opinion, I would just start with either an M4 or even a G36C. Both are very popular and well used and have lots of replacement parts should something happen.

Well, the son didn't say he wants a sniper rifle or G36C...

JG makes a SCAR? I would bet that the Echo1 is a rebranded Dboys.

A friend bought a Dboys SCAR-L and changed the hop-up bucking and a spring, spent the rest of the money on accessories instead such as EOTech 553, TD grip and a PEQ15. It looks and feels fantastic. Shoots good as well.

I don't know how old your son is but I am 25 years old and I think it feels great. I would be very surprised if your son would be disappointed with how it feels. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. Unless you _truly_ are buying the best of the best (ie TM) I don't see the point in spending extra money on VFC, G&G, CA or STAR/ARES, but each to their own. :)

I've handled and shot an AGM SCAR extensively and I can tell you that it shoots very well with some slight tuning. The external parts feel good but do not hold up that well. The hex screws strip easily and the bolt cover came loose on me. Not to say that it isn't a good gun but there are some things to watch out for. I had mine hitting consistently at over 200ft with no gearbox issues. Never had to pull the gearbox out.

I had previously ordered my friend an AGM Scar. Granted it does shoot 380-400 the hop up arm ended up cracking after a short time. Had to replace the hop up unit with a replacement for the Echo 1 ASC that I ordered from airsoftatlanta. Whether or not you had the problem its pretty much hit or miss...but with any ACM there will always be some sort of issue or lemon.

OK- son returned this weekend and we discussed the SCAR some more. He's decided that he wants to go with a M4. We looked at the ECHO1 that I listed in my first post, but that is out of stock. Some others that we looked at were

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-GG-GR15P.htm

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERA-CA-M6-SP021.htm

and

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-DF-M4-SS003.htm

Again, still looking in the $200 range- I know that some listed above need batteries/charger but that's fine.

OK- son returned this weekend and we discussed the SCAR some more. He's decided that he wants to go with a M4. We looked at the ECHO1 that I listed in my first post, but that is out of stock. Some others that we looked at were

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-GG-GR15P.htm

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ERA-CA-M6-SP021.htm

and

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-DF-M4-SS003.htm

Again, still looking in the $200 range- I know that some listed above need batteries/charger but that's fine.

The best selection here is the Raider. Don't get the Classic Army budge line rifles. Also don't get a Deep Fire M4 if the battery goes into the stock. The gun will need to be rewired off the bat. Mine came with bad design and the wires were touching each other plus the buffer tube didn't have a proper hole forcing the wires to strip and touch on installation in the shop.

A G&G Raider or G&G Carbine are good choices.

The best selection here is the Raider. Don't get the Classic Army budge line rifles. Also don't get a Deep Fire M4 if the battery goes into the stock. The gun will need to be rewired off the bat. Mine came with bad design and the wires were touching each other plus the buffer tube didn't have a proper hole forcing the wires to strip and touch on installation in the shop.

A G&G Raider or G&G Carbine are good choices.

Yeah the G&G was our first choice- this needs a battery and charger- I need a little help with this. We have some chargers that came with some other guns, but I would rather get smart charger and a good battery. The write-up on this model said a 8.4 or 9.6 small type battery. Are all small type batteries the same shape?

You might want to consider cleaning the inner barrel out. They sometimes have factory grease still in them. Also, consider purchasing a proper smart charger. There are a lot of "smart" chargers, but you might want to consider an actual smart charger which can charge different kinds of batteries in the future.

The Raider-L should need tightening on the rails, it will come loose I believe. When you are done shooting, make sure to fire a couple of shoots in semi mode. You will want to keep the spring uncompressed to keep maximum power when storing.

If I remember correctly the gun comes with a button to decompress the spring. It would be on the right side of the rifle above the pistol grip. You can hold and press that button instead of shooting in semi. You should hear a "clunk" and gears rotate backwards. Again, only necessary when storing the gun away.

You might want to consider cleaning the inner barrel out. They sometimes have factory grease still in them. Also, consider purchasing a proper smart charger. There are a lot of "smart" chargers, but you might want to consider an actual smart charger which can charge different kinds of batteries in the future.

I think it's a Tenergy universal charger, hope it's smart enough.

What should we use to clean the barrel with? Is this just needed to remove the crap so it shoots better in the beginning, or can not doing this damage the barrel?

I think it's a Tenergy universal charger, hope it's smart enough.

What should we use to clean the barrel with? Is this just needed to remove the crap so it shoots better in the beginning, or can not doing this damage the barrel?

Tenergy... meh. It'll work for now. However, I would eventually purchase something better like the Kong Power charger. I have one and though it's expensive ($100), it will definitely prolong the life and usefulness of your batteries.

Soft cotton. I went to a hunting store, picked up a package of square, cotton gun cleaning patches, and then cut them into strips. You then thread them through your cleaning rod and swab the inside of your barrel. It will remove the manufacturing oils in the barrel. It's not 100% necessary but it is HIGHLY recommended.

Sounds easy enough for the cleaning-

I'll assume that this charger is better than a less smart charger.

It meets the bare requirements for a smart charger. A true smart charger will permit you to determine the rate at which the battery charges which can help extend the battery's lifetime.