Sign in to follow this  
pilwooleigh

kill all the slings

nA3ss.jpg

so, last saturday I was playing a CQB game at TAA in maryland.

at one point I had an urge to go high speed, so I configured my magpul ms2 sling into 2-point configuration and swung the gun around my back so I could freely wield my pistol. then I suddenly felt myself get about 10 lbs lighter, with a loud BAM.

I turned, and there laid my trustworthy primary, all alone on the cold concrete, thrown down yet still holding onto the sling with one swivel.

I haven't even used this for long (maybe 2 months at most) and this happened. and it was a legit magpul ms2 sling too, not the acm one.

thankfully the gun fell on its rail cover, which busted it but protected the rails themselves and other parts of the gun from damage.

now with the ms2 sling dead, I reluctantly went back to my 1-point bungee sling for the rest of the day.

and...guess what. sometime during the next game, I went from my strong hand to my left hand to turn a corner. I then saw a piece of metal fall to the ground, which looked incredibly similar in shape to my sling point.

WHY HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ME

just venting. im sad.

im taking sling donations...(just kidding)

Edited by Phil2

Man, talk about bad luck. I've never really found Magpul slings to be 100% practical and trustworthy in the first place to be totally honest with you. Especially if you're running an M4 with a good deal of accessories. The hook just doesn't seem very sturdy. I've pm'd you about a spare sling though if you're interested.

Urban ERT sling, best piece of gear I own (except for my LBT 1961A). The lip I trust the most is a steel mash clip. One of these is never gonna fail you. Get one and if something does ever break they will fix it or replace it for free. Also the most comfortable adjustable 1 pt 2 pt convertible sling ever.

Not that I doubt you.. But are you sure that the Magpul you have is legit? Did you buy it from a Magpul Retailer? someone you know for certain did not get it through a Chinese Distributer? I only ask because I have used the Magpul Slings with some heavy guns and never had this happen.. And my guns are as tacticool as they come... I bolt tons of extras on mine...

But I will also add. I have seen some legit Slings fail because the user was allowing them to be twisted and torqued to the max.. Sometimes we can put enough stress on parts and cause them to fail..

Again, you may just have had a batch of really bad luck..

Not that I doubt you.. But are you sure that the Magpul you have is legit? Did you buy it from a Magpul Retailer? someone you know for certain did not get it through a Chinese Distributer? I only ask because I have used the Magpul Slings with some heavy guns and never had this happen.. And my guns are as tacticool as they come... I bolt tons of extras on mine...

But I will also add. I have seen some legit Slings fail because the user was allowing them to be twisted and torqued to the max.. Sometimes we can put enough stress on parts and cause them to fail..

Again, you may just have had a batch of really bad luck..

I did not buy it from a magpul retailer, I purchased it online.

But considering the money I paid, it better be legit, otherwise I'm hunting these people down for scamming me!

Also I think I may have torqued them, because I had it on a right-side sling swivel on my m4, the one that attaches between the lower receiver and the buffer tube.

and when I switch hands to my left, I am indeed applying some kind of stress to them, probably a combination of torque and lateral.

The one point you posted, I have had a lot of those, and they all failed the exact same way.. I have a couple legit Magpul Slings and it would take quite a bit of torquing to break it the way you did.

You may want to switch the style of sling you use. Maybe an IAS or their new model.. It converts as needed and prevents stuff like this.. Or even the new Magpul Sling with its bigger hook.

Guest alberty

Regarding your "backup" one-point sling, it looks to me like the generic <$15 one-point slings you get from most airsoft retailers in which you know the metal isn't going to be of high quality. Whenever I am using a sling, regardless of the brand/quality of the material, I make sure to keep pressure/tension/stress off of the hooks/clips as much as possible--very fast transitioning like that would definitely add a riskier amount of stress than normally applied, although I do understand that the slings are supposed to be able to handle it.

So it appears as though the "legit" magpul I claimed to be turns out to be a knock off.

And as for the 1 point, yes it was one of the cheapos from ehobby. I had purchased it to test if I would like a one pointer.

Well, either way, it looks like I will be needing a new sling.

Would you guys suggest me a good sling?

I really liked how the magpul ms2 sling worked. I really liked how it transitioned between one and two points, so something similar would be nice!

I really liked how the magpul ms2 sling worked. I really liked how it transitioned between one and two points, so something similar would be nice!

If you liked the fake magpul one and how it works, why not get the real deal?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=Magpul

The link I provided is a trusted Dealer straight from Magpul's own sight. They have the brand new MS3 slings in stock in both tan and black, along with MS2 slings in tan and black which are on clearance for only $35 instead of $50.

Glad to see someone using a 2 point sling. I am however not a fan of Magpul completely, good stuff but sometimes I go WTF were you guys thinking(poly sites etc). They have some great stuff, but for slings I have gone with Blue Force two point adjustable slings since Bagram. The padded ones are amazingly comfortable, and absolute dream when your weapon is heavy, although the padded ones are a requirement. That said there are many fine cheaper slings out there that do the job just as well. If you have a knock off I suggest taking paracord and attaching a loop from the rifle to the sling portion itself. It makes the quick detach useless, but this isn't real war so getting out of your gear in a hurry isn't as much of a priority as not breaking your couple hundred dollar toy because you skimped on a sling.