to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
pilwooleigh

why are there so many broken SIG552s?

I have just a curious question that somebody might have an answer.

I see so many JG/cybergun SIG552s, mostly sold as boneyard. of course it isn't as numerous as an m4, but I do see quite a few of them.

However, I only see them on the internet. it's funny how rarely I see people actually wielding SIG 552s, considering how often I encounter them online.

Because in my opinion the 552 is a rather unpopular model (probably as popular as an AUG, say, so not entirely "unpopular" but...you know what I mean) but I see too many of them for an "unpopular" model.

what's the story behind this?

did a similar thing with Flackjack arena goggles happen? (like, having been mass manufactured (or imported maybe) but lost the contract, so they were sold real cheap to everyone)

or is there a reason why people don't actually use them?

just curious if anyone has an answer to this!

Edited by Phil2

I see so many JG/cybergun SIG552s, mostly sold as boneyard. of course it isn't as numerous as an m4, but I do see quite a few of them.

However, I only see them on the internet. it's funny how rarely I see people actually wielding SIG 552s, considering how often I encounter them online.

Because in my opinion the 552 is a rather unpopular model (probably as popular as an AUG, say, so not entirely "unpopular" but...you know what I mean) but I see too many of them for an "unpopular" model.

did a similar thing with Flackjack arena goggles happen? (like, having been mass manufactured (or imported maybe) but lost the contract, so they were sold real cheap to everyone)

As for the FlakJaks, they did not pass a military test for optical quality due to some issues with the lenses. They still work fine for an airsofter. As for the 552, it seems to just be a cheap gun. I've heard of some of the cheaper JG guns even catching fire at times due to bad quality wiring and wires.

There are more JG/cybergun 552s than TM simply in that there are literally more of them. A weak point with the TM design is the motor cage/grip area. For a long while replacements for these were near non-existent so one breaking in this manner would more often than not end up as a parts kit. Recently though I've seen two manufacturers of the same part come up so expect a resurgence in popularity especially if you could revive a cheaply bought dead gun with a simple $17 part.

There are more JG/cybergun 552s than TM simply in that there are literally more of them. A weak point with the TM design is the motor cage/grip area. For a long while replacements for these were near non-existent so one breaking in this manner would more often than not end up as a parts kit. Recently though I've seen two manufacturers of the same part come up so expect a resurgence in popularity especially if you could revive a cheaply bought dead gun with a simple $17 part.

Thae transparent plastic body of the jg sig ( the version sold to children in sporting good stores) is made of cheese. A few blows and it cracks easily, requiring a rare and expensive metal body kit made by Hurricane. So most people just return or sell them for parts

Edited by Disco_Dante

Here's the deal. About three years ago, a company called kapowee sold them as boneyard specimens. Kapowee picked up a large lot from a major wholesale store chain for pennies on the dollar. They literally cleared them out at 6 for 99.00 plus shipping. Mind you, these were the steel gearboxed versions. Most of them worked! Some even included battery and charger. The reason why they dumped them so cheap and the reason you don"t see too many on the field is that getting to the gearbox to do any work is complicated and time consuming. And there you have it. locprecision.

I've been through quite a few JG SIGs while boneyarding and most of the issues are as follows:

Externals suck: Bodies crack easily, stocks break off/latches and locks break off, grips are weak, etc. A lot cracks and replacing it is not easy.

Internals rare: they use a medium motor and the v6? gearbox is not the easiest to work with due to the gears for the selector and stuff.

PITA to take apart: I never quite understood how to get them apart, I usually just bent the body to extract the gearbox.

I've had good and bad runs with the sigs. For me, you can't just get one and fix it. You HAVE to have 2-3 in order to get one working gun. I think I've had 5 and half of those and came out with 3 working guns that were shaky at best. They're just a royal pain to work on and don't end up firing all that well (may just be a JG issue)

the problems they run into aren't airsoft problems, they're cracked plastic problems.

No, they use a normal V3 gearbox. As would be expected, the trigger, selector assembly, and motor cage (well, not really like the typical motor cage on other AEGs that use a V3 gearbox) are different. Other than that, the internals of the gearbox are standard V3. Unless, of course, you consider those differences to make it a modified V3, in which case, I would ask what is considered to be a "standard" V3.

And, the disassembly of the SIG isn't really as bad as people seem to make it out to be, or at least it doesn't seem like it to me. For the JG, you can completely separate the upper and lower by removing 3 screws, at least with the method I use (none, on the ICS and G&G versions). Then, to remove the gearbox from the lower (with the grip attached), I think is only another 6 screws (a grub screw and a normal screw for each selector switch, and then the two screws holding the stock on). From there, it shouldn't be very hard to figure out. There are a couple videos on disassembly, and while they are slightly different from how I do it, it's really not that bad. It shouldn't take much more than a few minutes to get from fully assembled gun to having the gearbox completely removed.

As for the ICS, my opinion is that they are an improvement over the JG, but still lacking.