Sign in to follow this  
turtletech

Dealing with low quality gear?

What do you do when you see someone with bad gear (BBs, guns, etc)?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Tell them the problems with their equipment, why it'll fail them.
    • Do nothing
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. What gets on your nerves the most?

• Low quality BBs, I.e. .12s, Crosman
    • Bad guns
    • Use of improper equipment for scenario or range
    • Cheap equipment in general.

I'm just wondering this because on a local field 90% of people use Crosman BBs, not to mention the fact that they use .2g BBs, even at engagements of more than 120ft. A "sniper" on the field had the same range as me using .25s, me using good quality .25s and a CYMA m14, the "sniper" using a TSD SD98 and Crosman .25s. It annoys me, but I only say something if I see someone with .12 BBs.

Other: I compliment them on their tactical prowess, or if they're clearly new to the game, I try to help them out and teach them something. I saw this in someone's signature on Arnie's earlier and I could not agree more. Airsoft is becoming too pretentious and it's ruining the game. Don't single out or pick on a player with LPEGs or spring guns - help them become better by teaching them tactics and helping them get more involved in the game you enjoy!

I think the increasing danger is not airsoft becoming less simulation, but infact airsoft becoming more pretentious and elitist. Virtualy all the 'milsim' events I've been to have been completely normal games of airsoft, the only difference was that a slightly larger number of the players had snotty attitudes. Unnecessary expensive kit and some pseudo-millitary nonsense you've gleaned from watching hollywood movies and call of duty does not make for a good game and frankly doesn't make it any closer to the real thing either!

I often advice players with poor performing guns on how to upgrade them or what guns are better alternatives. I don't look down on them, I try to be friendly and helpful. One thing that gets on my nerves is people that lube their barrel and hop-up, I almost wanna smack them with my guns stock for doing that.

If I see a kid with cheap gear, I let them play and see why they should upgrade. Later on, I explain why they lost and give them some good recommendations. I can't help but laugh though when they don't understand they are losing with their tacticool pistol.

Edited by 1911 Warrior

well to be honest, Some players like myself are not as fortunate and do not have money or a job. Thats why I usually cant go out and buy some really good pantac stuff, instead I have to get clone brand gear(is that what you mean by bad gear?) anyways I usually just let it be because knowing kids they will start being a douche about it, Or they will probably go cry. I don't really care though what people run as long as it has a purpose, and isnt just random stuff they are wearing.

well to be honest, Some players like myself are not as fortunate and do not have money or a job. Thats why I usually cant go out and buy some really good pantac stuff, instead I have to get clone brand gear(is that what you mean by bad gear?) anyways I usually just let it be because knowing kids they will start being a douche about it, Or they will probably go cry. I don't really care though what people run as long as it has a purpose, and isnt just random stuff they are wearing.

I understand, and I don't judge on clothing and guns, for the most part. But using LPEGs and low quality ammo gets on my nerves. I generally only mean the gun and ammo by gear, as everything else is almost always just looks. I myself use a clone, but I do well because of the use of proper ammo (high quality .25g BBs). I don't mean when a person can't afford the most expensive thing, but when a person is wearing easy to spot clothing (I.e. white or red T-shirt), using an LPEG, or using .12g BBs it does bother me sometimes, mostly because I want to see a person actually do well.

What gets on my nerves is people who upgrade their guns with a ton of ridiculously over priced and low quality parts from evike like all aluminum pistons and silent cylinder heads and claim thats it's some godly set up. When really, a JG gun with $50 put into it would be better.

There isn't a good reason to get mad because someone else has lower quality gear than you. That just means you are overly materialistic or unwilling to accomodate poorer players. I would give players with low quality gear a few tips and try to help them out. If someone thinks they have a pimped out gun when they don't, don't ruin there day just give them some info. If people are acting opposite of me, airsofts name is getting muddier, which does no good at all.

Personally, I think you could designate an area where only lower end guns may be used on the same field as everyone else. People with low end equipment can go anywhere they want but people with high end gear cannot enter it. This way, people with similar levels of gear can play with each other. People who want to avoid contact with people with better or worse gear can stay in their respective zones, but people with low end stuff can team up and mount hit and run attacks on the high end people before retreating back. That actually sounds fun. I'd go with dual mini MP5s and ambush high end players.

Truth is, no matter what quality of gear you have, you can still get a kill. Hell, I once used a straw and a BB as a blow gun and gotten a kill in CQB! At the end of the day, low end gear doesn't mean a player is bad or anything. Perhaps they're less fortunate. Perhaps they don't see (or understand or want) the need for expensive guns and gear. Maybe they're just playing to mess around, and not for MILSIM like some of us.

As for talking about other players' guns, just don't. It always turns into a pissing contest, which is why I have my thread on here for my guns and that's it. If people ask about it, I'll talk about it. Otherwise, I let my abilities on the field do the talking. Frankly, I don't care if you have spent $2000 on your gun and it has uberinsaneawesomeballs range, killerridiculousfreakingfast ROF, and mindblowingfacemeltinggoggleshattering FPS. If I want to know, I'll ask. Don't start advertising how your gun is amazing and someone else's sucks. They probably already know. If your gun is awesome, great! Now go play with it...

I generally undersell them, making them know their gear is bad without saying so. For example, I'd say "That crossdraw vest is good for you now, but if you want something that will be more convenient, I would get a plate carrier with mag pouches, a holster, and a dump bag. After all, you can customize MOLLE plate carriers!"

My guess is saying something like that would give them a red light.

http://lifehacker.com/5715912/how-to-plant...n-someones-mind

Edited by VAairsoft

Truth is, no matter what quality of gear you have, you can still get a kill. Hell, I once used a straw and a BB as a blow gun and gotten a kill in CQB! At the end of the day, low end gear doesn't mean a player is bad or anything. Perhaps they're less fortunate. Perhaps they don't see (or understand or want) the need for expensive guns and gear. Maybe they're just playing to mess around, and not for MILSIM like some of us.

As for talking about other players' guns, just don't. It always turns into a pissing contest, which is why I have my thread on here for my guns and that's it. If people ask about it, I'll talk about it. Otherwise, I let my abilities on the field do the talking. Frankly, I don't care if you have spent $2000 on your gun and it has uberinsaneawesomeballs range, killerridiculousfreakingfast ROF, and mindblowingfacemeltinggoggleshattering FPS. If I want to know, I'll ask. Don't start advertising how your gun is amazing and someone else's sucks. They probably already know. If your gun is awesome, great! Now go play with it...

All I don't like is when people are cocky and thinking that some of the cheap junk they bought will do them any bit well. Such as the AGM MP001s, and LPEGs. I've seen people using that sort of junk. I don't judge on equipment though, as long as they made an attempt to wear something that will somewhat camoflauge them.

I will only tell people their gear is bad if they would actually care about the advice given. If I see a tacticool1337pwnsauce 11 year old with a crossman then I might not bother. But If I see one of my friends with the same gun, I might tell them why they might not do so well in the matches. Or if someone decides to use a sniper for CQB. Happened once, but he was using 0.12's and the over hop was so bad, I think he could have aimed the gun straight down and the shot would have gone straight up anyway.

Is it just me?....... I actually like the black Crosman .25g BB's in a pinch. Many, many rounds through EDGI 6.01's and never a hiccup.......... The Crosman .20g BB's are pure crap though. I also collect the containers & store other brand BB's in them.

As not everyone can afford high end or even decent gear, I understand this. My issue is when it becomes my problem because they treat it as if it was higher end gear.

Example, (we'll call him guillekid) gullie kid shows up to my local field, with a guille suit mich helm and sone other craptasic gear that didnt match. Yet hes rockin a crossmann ak, huge a&! Orange tip, hopup adjusted for ground shots 10ft away. First game I played this tool is on my team, within 5min hes alreadly shot 3 ppl on our team. Then he realises his hopup is off, so he adjusts it inside the building im in and desides to test fire it, INSIDE. I end up killed, shot in the back of my hat. Soon after I see this tool not calling his shots. I say something to the ref, as thats how my field works. After being called out on not calling his :pain: 3 times they sit him out. All day this happened with the same kid. Standing at 200ft, shooting like he can hit past 50ft. It was annoying as F#%?. Also this kid was like a bad habbit you cant shake, you get in a nice spot and the tool sits right next to you with a 4inch orange tip.

Its not the gear, is the ppl who use it. Know its limits, play within them. Doing otherwise gets people pissed.

Side note, ended up team killing him later in the day for not calling shots, lit him up like a xmas tree until he called himself out. 400 fps <AT>40ft + 300 rounds, guille or not he felt it......hard.

I don't mind people who use low end gear, just don't make it my problem.

Edited by Dawnzero

if people don't have money to afford gear, I get it. But I saw this person once with a "highly upgraded" g36 dmr with full systema internals, I just burst out laughing. Because its not like he can't afford high quality parts... he just stupidly used the most overpriced parts in the world.

I don't mind playing with or against people that use crosman stuff, that's fine. It's their money, they can spend it how they choose. However, I do say something about .12s, as they are garbage and dangerous. If I see people using that stuff, I'll speak up and say something about how it's terrible for their gun..

I could care less what you play in. I know guys running over $10,000 in com gear, nods and helmets alone. Let alone the $500 crye pants, $250 shirts, $3000+ PC's etc. Usually the $600 gun is the cheapest kit they have on. Some guys are dropping real steel rail systems and real $2500 spectredr sights onto their ars.

This is very common. Me? I spent $750 on my PC and I'm keeping it forever, its also got a resale value double that. My TAD gear resells for a slight profit also. Gun however is worth less. My nods sent me back a few grand also. No need for AOR thank you very much.

I could care less what you play in. I know guys running over $10,000 in com gear, nods and helmets alone. Let alone the $500 crye pants, $250 shirts, $3000+ PC's etc. Usually the $600 gun is the cheapest kit they have on. Some guys are dropping real steel rail systems and real $2500 spectredr sights onto their ars.

This is very common. Me? I spent $750 on my PC and I'm keeping it forever, its also got a resale value double that. My TAD gear resells for a slight profit also. Gun however is worth less. My nods sent me back a few grand also. No need for AOR thank you very much.

If you didn't read what I meant, I meant low quality guns, ammo, etc., not tactical gear. Tactical gear, I could really care less.

...I don't really care though what people run as long as it has a purpose, and isnt just random stuff they are wearing.

^ THIS ^

Well, then why did you put "gear" in the title? Tactical gear is typically what that refers to, if I'm not mistaken. :a-wink:

Edited by boomshtick

Humm. I call my hits when they shoot me with it, shoot back when they don't and chrono them just like everyone else when I work the rental desk. Someday you will notice it is the kid behind the gun that makes the difference not the gun itself.

We do make it a point to tell them not to use .12gram BBs in our rental guns .

We ask they not use crossman BBs at all but do not enforce that unless they are .12s and they are stupid enough to come in with the jar that says .12gram.

wage peace

Edited by philsaudio

Someday you will notice it is the kid behind the gun that makes the difference not the gun itself.

This couldn't be more true. There is a kid at my local field with a KWA MP7(the kid is 11) and he is obnoxious and rude and never calls hits. The 11 year old who rents from the field is the nicest kid around, always calls the hits and is willing to talk out arguments. It really just comes down to who the person is.

Humm. I call my hits when they shoot me with it, shoot back when they don't and chrono them just like everyone else when I work the rental desk. Someday you will notice it is the kid behind the gun that makes the difference not the gun itself.

We do make it a point to tell them not to use .12gram BBs in our rental guns .

We ask they not use crossman BBs at all but do not enforce that unless they are .12s and they are stupid enough to come in with the jar that says .12gram.

wage peace

But oftentimes, I just get a little annoyed seeing people with good guns, ruining them with bad bbs. Or using low quality guns that don't work, and being cocky and arrogant about them. It often goes hand in hand.

^ THIS ^

Well, then why did you put "gear" in the title? Tactical gear is typically what that refers to, if I'm not mistaken. :a-wink:

Well, I refer to gear as all things other than the person, the whole loadout. Not just tac gear, which I can't really see a huge purpose to due to it's high cost, and the limited need for it. I referred to it as that because I couldn't think of another term that fit, and I just figured you would differentiate between tac gear and standard gear.

Edited by turtletech

Turtletech, I feel like its their loss completely and entirely, you're just riling yourself up getting angry at mishaps done by other players.

But to attack a point about what people wear (not tactical gear quality, as you've explicitly stated): I wear Chucks, some tightish jeans, a white T, tan ballcap and my Pantac RRV; does this make me a bad player because I don't regularly run in BDU's, but rather wear civvi clothes?

Food for thought. Its been said players mean more than the gear, and its all too true.

From a tactical gear/loadout perspective I think it's up to the player to discover what he/she is interested in and then attend venues that support that. For instance, if you are into MilSim airsoft and want to play at a venue or event that only adheres to strict BDU rules then attend one. Don't go to "Jimbo's Airsoft/Paintball Park" and get mad because some kid rolls up in his white-t's (no offense to said kid). It's just a different style of play that has to be understood.

As far as making poor judgement calls on parts/gear that has a lot of blind ignorance (innocent mistake) in it. If it bothers you that much try to explain to said player what is going on, point out some educational websites, etc. He will either take it constructively or act belligerent. If the latter is the case then just let it go. There's nothing you can do for him and he is going to end up being the one to suffer in the long run.

Don't go to "Jimbo's Airsoft/Paintball Park" and get mad because some kid rolls up in his white-t's (no offense to said kid).

Hmm, my local field is a paintball/airsoft field and the owner is a Jim. :a-laugh: But most people are BDU wearers, even the kids.

Although, my friend wore a white t-shirt to a match and is now known as Marshmallow.