to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
RedRaptor

Painting my new rifle, help, suggestions, advice and flaming welcome!

Hey guys!

Ok so I recently acquired a new A&K SR25 and it is one hell of beautiful weapon. The only part that im a little unsure about is the over all color. Black is iconic, badass and sexy, but it is also a little bland in my eyes. I want something to catch a few more eyes and look truly unique. So here I am working on a complete paint job. Ive done a few minor projects in the pass like a 2 tone M4, and various small accessory recolorings, but this time Im going all out. I don't want anything TOO difficult as this will be my trophy gun until the next impulse purchase, so I have decided to go with a full or mostly tan SR25. Kinda going for an M110 look. I just need a few opinions and ideas. I am in a mostly wooded area, so I know I will get flamed for it not being TRUE camo, but I really don't care. I enjoy the look and I can camo the gun with a gun wrap/foliage and get it to blend well.

Below are a few pictures of the gun in its current state and a few "pimp my gun" renders I want to go with. So lemme know what you think and if there is anything you would recommend. I also need some good ideas with spray paint or other paints. I was planning on using the generic Krylon camo Tan that I have used in the past since it works pretty well, but any other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks, and be kind!!

Oh and the G96 is NOT mine, just thought I would mention that! :)

469824_10150911056651589_236203741_o.jpg

471696_10150911067876589_1407374126_o.jpg

476523_10150890606071589_24365603_o.jpg

myweapon3.jpg

I vote for option 2 or 3.

Question: How permanent do you want the paint to be? How much experience do you have with painting?

I would like it to be relatively permanent. Obviously running around the woods is going to scuff it up a bit, but I also do not want it to be flaking off after a while. My experience is mostly minimal. Ive spray painted a few things here or there, but not much else. Im not REALLY experienced, but when I do try to make something look good, I am VERY precise. I do not cut corners or accept anything less than near perfection.

My only REAL draw backs are money and time. Time is not a huge deal, but anything much more than some spray paint (Like an air brush) is a bit steep for me. Im willing to pay a little extra for quality, but not an outrageous amount.

Oh and the third one is almost a given. My biggest problem is choosing to keep the barrel black or coloring it. The suppressor will almost certainly be painted.

Well option 2 and 3 are pretty much going to be permanent. The suppressor will be removable so therefore it'll reveal option 2. I think it's a great idea to do option 2/3. Just make sure you know what you're doing before you start painting.

P.S. Keep the barrel black.

Edited by 'Raven'

Ditto on the black barrel.

Okay, if you want it to be permanent, and want it to look good, surface prep is critical. Wash all surfaces you intend to paint with a mild detergent (diswashing soap), and then dry with a lint-free cloth. Let it sit a while for any other moisture to evaporate. Then be sure to use a high-quality primer that has good bite. I recommend Mr. Surfacer 1000. Be sure to use light, even coats, starting off the piece and going past it. Don't lay it on too thick. If you have black showing through, let the first coat dry for about 15-20 minutes and then hit it again. After you have a good primer coat, use a high-quality rattlecan paint--not Krylon. I am partial to Tamiya. Let dry for about 40 minutes between coats. Same as with primer, light even coats. Let it cure overnight, and then hit it with two or three coats of a dull clearcoat lacquer. Check the instructions, but you'll probably have to let it dry a little longer between coats than with paint. You can do a light wet sand with a fine-grit (600ish) between clear coats if it isn't as smooth as you'd like-but go very easy, or you'll cut through to your base coat. Just take your time, and with quality paints (which really aren't much more expensive than the cheap stuff) not only will it look great, but it'll be very tough.

Hope that helps.

p.s. painted metal parts should be prepped with a light wet sand (400 grit). You don't have to get all the paint off, just make the sanding even so that the primer can take hold. Don't worry about it if the metal is anodized.

Edited by No_6

option 2, but leave the body black. My personal rule on painting a two tone color is don't let a tan touch a tan or a black touch a black, IE body painted black then the grip, stock and rail system painted tan, then any thing on the rail system should be black with any silencers also being black. makes for a very cool look.

Take 2.... Gotta love the internet here. First let me say that I understand most of the airsofting is out for tacticool in terms of painting then the actual utility of the matter. I am not discrediting that as for well over a century expert craftsman have etched, marked and carved every sort of arm to look as good as it is deadly. Airsoft lets people make a good looking gun without the confines of having to need max concealment. That being said, I wish the community was a leader in innovation, and ideas then a look at my cool new toy community. This isn't bashing the community we all like new stuff regardless of it being real or not, new paint, new toys always makes people smile.

That said I hate black. Black is a horrible color to hide in the day, as rarely anything in nature is truly black. Even burnt natural materials tend to grey more then blacken without water getting involved. Many people play in the woods and for that seeing a black weapon moving or stationary tends to be easier then a solid green Vietnam style uniforms worn by some. This alone should make us debate why anyone would want any black on a weapon other then for the sake of appearance. To be honest I think color wise, multiple colors, and even basic random spray paint streaks are far more useful then the plain or black tan color you present. I would recommend a grey, coyote brown pattern over the black tan any day, even though tan will work decently in pine, and oak style forests.

As for painting I have used Krylon camo spray paint for everything from real guns to airsoft, and while it wont stay (and there are more steps and precautions with real rifles) its cheap yet effective enough for me. For a truly great look the only way is to do something like Mutinous creations does with car style enamel paints. I will probably get home and have her crew paint up a rifle or two because her durability is amazing, but sometimes I just like painting my own stuff. Regardless if you are DIY then make sure you take your time, have fine and courser sandpaper, and multiple coats. Sand with semi rough sandpaper plastics and smooth metals to help the paint stick, and fine sandpaper for any running you get from accidents once it has dried.

Good luck!