Sign in to follow this  
AccelerationZ

Magpul Masada

I need to know how these guns perform. I keep hearing mixed reviews? How are they in general? Im not looking for a monster gun, but a nice good looking gun that performs well.

If the Masada isn't very good, I have two back up choices. Opinion on these guns too please.

Mk18

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-mk18-mod-I-dark-earth.html

MRP Combat

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/aeg/g-p-hong-ko...hort-black.html

I wouldn't go for the Masada. Their gearbox shells have been prone to cracking and are very proprietary. The hop-up and air nozzle are also proprietary, and very expensive to upgrade or fix Externals are expensive and limited, and battery space is quite cramped. I wouldn't even compare the Masada to either of the G&Ps.

I really want a unique gun. I dislike M4 and M16s and wish for something unique. I would also like 350 FPS and good accuracy and range. Also for it to be reliable. Nothing too fancy.

I have a pretty hefty budget so thats not a problem.

Its just that every gun I want isn't very reliable.

I posted a thread about a Scar a few days back and didn't hear positive things. And now the Masada isnt getting good news.

In the words of Mule from AMS lol "all AEGs have some problems"

and I have the exact same feeling you have for m4/m16s...which is why I went the G36 route.

JG G36K will give you a good amount of range tho it does shoot give or take 400fps...

in anycase if you want something different as far as assault rifles...

G36 - my personal favorite

SIG552 - light and different...tho takes a mid motor than a short or long

TAR-21 - very different

SCAR - Hefty and masculine lol

F2000 - GI Joe but a little wide IMO

I suppose you have been talked out of the Masada, but mine performs great, and wanted to give my .02 on your situation. The parts are no longer hard to find (ehobby has everything but the upper) and honestly, the only modifications I needed were replacing the bucking, adding a geat clip, and bending the mock bolt to ensure it would catch. It is one of the better buys I have made. PTS has a new prs stock for the acr, and the ris is a great addition as well. My point, if there is one, is that it is a very "do-able" platform. To address the things you have heard about it, yes they are probably true, BUT for me, with these three modifications, the masada works great. I would be willing to take pictures if you buy it and try to help you with the process.

As for the other g&p guns, they look like a great option as well. There are undoubtably more upgrades than the masada has to offer. I also own a fair amount of the g&p line-up and they have never failed to get the job done WITHOUT MODS. Add a few upgrades and you are sitting pretty.

In conclusion, don't be driven from a unique platform just becasue there are some initial issues (which is unacceptable for a pricey gun)- but easily remedied. The best choice is really any of those, so long as your willing to either put an hour of work into the masada, or settle for an ar type setup.

I hope you make the best choice for you!

I like my masada and tar 21 from ares. (traded didnt pay for either)

only problem I have with the masada is the retarded micro switch and GB design, I know ares is trying to make a new way of doing things, but its idiotic at best. besides the gearbox shell, spring guide, airnozzle and trigger every thing can be switched out in the masada. ive had shs gear, riot gears etc, the cylinder head is a SHS v3 long one, you can order a shell off ares if it breaks, so far I havent had any problems just sorbo the CH and don't go over a m140 and you should be fine.

Ditto on the JG G36K. I own one and it has been an extremely rugged and reliable gun.

As far as the SCARs go, everything I've heard about the G&G has been great. GREAT internal quality, better external fit and finish than the VFC (except for the tan color--it really is kinda bizzare), and totally standard V2 internals, so it has the best upgradability of any SCAR, and it takes standard TM mags, so the sky's the limit there. I guess this is out if you absolutely MUST have tan, but if you like black, it's a fantastic gun. And from what I understand, G&G's are decently shimmed out of the box as well. I would get one if I didn't already have my WE SCAR-L, but I'm set on getting an H.

Edited by No_6

Yea I'm just going to go with the Masada and see how it turns out. I have my mind set on it and not getting it would bother me.

Thanks!

I totally hear you. I've been the same way about the SCAR-H. That is the gun I must have, and the process has been a pain-in-the-butt with the way Cybergun's screwing up the market. Finally ordered a Dboys from WGC Shop (should have went there first--I would have had it by now) even though I'm going to have to deal with the proprietary air nozzle, hop-up and VFC magazines.

BTW, one of the nice things about getting the Magpul PTS version of the Masada is the fact that you can get the drop-in Beta Project GBB system for it. That way you can run gas during the summer and electric during the winter with the same gun. I don't think you can do that with any other gun. I was considering going this direction until I settled on SCAR-H + eventual P*.

Yea I'm just going to go with the Masada and see how it turns out. I have my mind set on it and not getting it would bother me.

Thanks!

I don't think you will be disappointed.....

If I had $400+ to spend I would definitely buy one of these...

masada1.jpg

:a-grin: If you do get one, let us know how you like it, would you?

the funny thing is... in that picture its the A&K clone masada LOL

I wouldn't go for the Masada. Their gearbox shells have been prone to cracking and are very proprietary. The hop-up and air nozzle are also proprietary, and very expensive to upgrade or fix Externals are expensive and limited, and battery space is quite cramped. I wouldn't even compare the Masada to either of the G&Ps.

How come I hear people ALL THE TIME talking about how more expensive guns like the Masada have a few problems, then they say MPEG's have a few problems too, then they say you should get the Masada.

Hey AccelerationZ, here's something to drool over:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalog/product...a-sniper-black/

I think that is one of the best looking rifles I've ever seen. Yes it's expensive, but considering that if you were to make this yourself, in addition to the cost of the gun, you'd have to buy the sniper stock for $140, the $150 18.5" barrel set, and the long hand-guard, which I don't know how much it costs. Maybe another $40. So for $600, it's a bargain!

<AT>Icydragon - it really depends on the gun and what the user wants. It is up to the buyer to educate themselves and then determine whether the pros/cons of a particular make and model meets their needs, since there is no such thing as the perfect gun. Yes, there are cases where someone buys a cheap gun and it functions perfectly forever, and those who buy a TM and it breaks after a week, but most guns fall somewhere in the middle. And given a few months after the release of any new model, and you're going to get a pretty good idea of what that point is--if you bother to look around.

With the Masada, there are only two choices--the Magpul PTS and the A&K. AccelerationZ really wanted the Masada, so that's why the recommendation is to just go for it. I would never recommend this gun for someone on a limited budget who lacks the means (time/skill or money) to fix it when it breaks or for someone who wants a lot of internal upgrade options.

Okay, been doing yet more research and have a new recommendation for you. If you can find one, get the G&P Magpul Licensed Masada. It takes the A&K externals, but they put their own internals in there, which are heads and shoulders better than A&Ks, and probably much better than the PTS. Not just in terms of reliability, but you won't have the problems with compatibility that you will with the others.

Main issues with the Masada

Piston will fail you, and very soon, replace it ASAP. Or you can wait until it fails and replace it then...

Gearbox will crack on you, even on the stock spring. Mine lasted a year on a M120. Sorbo the piston head and radius the corners

Why not do both while the gearbox is apart?

Hopup is very weak, replace the arm with the Wii-tech and superglue a nub of your choice to it: http://www.PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO EBAY SITES. COPY AND PASTE AD DETAILS HERE - THEIR ADS GO AWAY AFTER 90 DAYS/itm/WII-TECH-Masada-Ma...t-/251067502838

Those are the big three