Sign in to follow this  
ironjaw

Designated Marksman AEG for under $200

Hey,

I'm looking for a Designated Marksman AEG for under $200 (Including scopes, grips, extra mags, etc.).

I would like to fill a Designated Marksman roll, as it seems to be a blend of Sniper and Rifleman. My personal opinion is accuracy over rate of fire.

I really like the tactics, skill, and mindset of sniper warfare, but, while I love my bolt-action rifle, I would really like to get something that's a little more flexible/useful for varied games and environments, and against enemy higher-end weaponry. I mainly like to play in wooded environments, but I plan on playing more CQB games in the future.

My two choices are:

G&G Combat Machine 16 Raider CQB: ($150)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=34583

JG M4 Tactical-System V.II: ($145)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=36987

I've had my eye on the G&G Combat Machine 16 Raider for a while, I really like the way to looks and it would seems to work better as a CQB gun.

The JG M4 Tac-Sys seems more what I would want for the DM role I like. The longer barrel seems to imply better accuracy/range, and the rail/sight set up seems to lend its self better to scope mounting.

So, that's what I have from my research. I have to admit I really only focused on price first, followed by looks. I don't like standard M4s, M16s, G36s, or AK47s. They seem to cliche to me. I like Rails. Lots of Rails. I, honestly, don't know much about upgrading guns and the like, and I don't mind putting Performance over Preference: so any veteran comments, better suggestions, and/or article links are greatly appreciated! I'm not afraid to read and learn from you experienced players. ;)

I really appreciate the community here, I've been lurking for a while and enjoy reading the great the stuff that come out of here! Keep it up.

Edited by ironjaw

I had the privilege of firing that G&G last Wednesday and I was impressed. Very nice ROF and good accuracy. With a $65 or so Prometheus barrel it would be a great overall gun.

There is no such thing as a sub $200 DMR that is decent inside and out. You might be able to get away with it with a Lancer m4, but nothing else. A decent scope is at least $25. Extra mags are at least $10. Grips range from $5 and up. G&G guns don't come with a battery or charger so there is another $30-100+. IMO scopes are pointless unless you are using a sniper rifle same with grips unless you prefer the vertical feel. So you are looking at around $220 (minus 18% with evikes coupon code airsoftusa) total plus shipping for the gun, battery, charger, and a extra mag (2 hi caps should be enough)

Edited by jgm

Hey,

I'm looking for a Designated Marksman AEG for under $200 (Including scopes, grips, extra mags, etc.).

I would like to fill a Designated Marksman roll, as it seems to be a blend of Sniper and Rifleman. My personal opinion is accuracy over rate of fire.

I really like the tactics, skill, and mindset of sniper warfare, but, while I love my bolt-action rifle, I would really like to get something that's a little more flexible/useful for varied games and environments, and against enemy higher-end weaponry. I mainly like to play in wooded environments, but I plan on playing more CQB games in the future.

My two choices are:

G&G Combat Machine 16 Raider CQB: ($150)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=34583

JG M4 Tactical-System V.II: ($145)

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=36987

I've had my eye on the G&G Combat Machine 16 Raider for a while, I really like the way to looks and it would seems to work better as a CQB gun.

The JG M4 Tac-Sys seems more what I would want for the DM role I like. The longer barrel seems to imply better accuracy/range, and the rail/sight set up seems to lend its self better to scope mounting.

So, that's what I have from my research. I have to admit I really only focused on price first, followed by looks. I don't like standard M4s, M16s, G36s, or AK47s. They seem to cliche to me. I like Rails. Lots of Rails. I, honestly, don't know much about upgrading guns and the like, and I don't mind putting Performance over Preference: so any veteran comments, better suggestions, and/or article links are greatly appreciated! I'm not afraid to read and learn from you experienced players. ;)

I really appreciate the community here, I've been lurking for a while and enjoy reading the great the stuff that come out of here! Keep it up.

My best friend has the G&G combat machine and it is a great platform right out of the box. Have no experience with the other, but I do have JG G36K which I like quite a bit.

However, neither of these guns, IMO, can be made into a true DMR for the price you've indicated (R-hop and MOSFET + gun alone put you over your budget--even if you go cheap on the MOSFET). I've spent more than twice that on my JG and I still haven't gotten it there--but then again I made a LOT of mistakes (wrong parts, breaking things, etc). The Raider is going to come with a 363mm inner barrel, which is pretty good. But for a competetive DMR, from what I understand, you're going to need to get that into the Goldilocks zone of around 455mm and then add an R-hop ($12 from Hunter-Seeker) or flat hop. The G&G shoots in the 345 FPS range +- 8FPS with .20s, which is pretty decent, but a lot of the guys around here like to have their DMRs shooting around 400FPS with .20s, as they generally shoot with .28s or heavier. You'll also need to correct the AOE and shim the gearbox. You should also get a good AB MOSFET. This will help your trigger response as well as helping with consistency between shots. Then of course there's stabilizing your inner barrel. Teflon tape was all I needed on my G36, but different guns can use spacers of various types.

Okay, all that said, if all you do is R hop and MOSFET, it is going to be a great, accurate gun that you'll have a lot of fun with. Whether that extra 50-100 feet is worth all the extra time, money and effort, you can always decide later.

Hope this helps.

Edited by No_6

It will probably cost more than 200$ just for all the stuff you listed(scope,mags,battery,etc).

Let alone the upgrades needed to make it worth anything as a DMR. Without upgrades its just a normal AEG. DMRs are big projects, that's why I was put off on it. Especially as your first gun.

Sorry if I come off as harsh.

Ok, thanks for the replies. Obviously I'm going to need to to even more research, but I have this page book-marked, and plan on referencing it.

So, a "good" DMR is going to run a good bit over $200 when everything is said and done.

I guess the best way to go about this would be to upgrade in the future. So gun choice would depend on future projected upgrades.

The wood games I play are not very big/ organized. Getting a super-suped-up DMR would be slight over kill, and the above thought about being content with an un-upgraded gun now, and invest the extra money in it for later, would seem to be the wisest thing to do.

I still await more comments/ suggestions/ thoughts from you all. ;)

*edit*

While all of the Airsoft guns I have bought so far (for my family) have been cheap(er) guns, I have learned a lot in the process of researching, buying, getting, prepping, playing, etc. with them.

Edited by ironjaw

It will probably cost more than 200$ just for all the stuff you listed(scope,mags,battery,etc).

Let alone the upgrades needed to make it worth anything as a DMR. Without upgrades its just a normal AEG. DMRs are big projects, that's why I was put off on it. Especially as your first gun.

Sorry if I come off as harsh.

I totally agree.

<AT> IronJaw:

Now I know you said that you want to make yourself a DMR.....however the guns you are looking at need bigger barrels in order to be even considered as a DMR platform. In order to have great accuracy and range, you need a large® barrel, but most importantly, a great hopup unit and a good battery. You would be amazed at how well a lower FPS gun can outrange a higher velocity gun just because it has the right type of front end for the job it is doing.

Right now, the way I play, I have created a DMR weapon out of a JG G36E (not the C or K), that clocks in at just under the limits for weapons that can fire full auto and semi. Doing this cost me about $350 when it was all said and done.

I can still reach out and touch someone from about 220 feet (obviously it would be better if it were a BASR), but I can still engage at standard rifleman distances. The reason behind this is that I have an SCS nub installed into my hopup unit with a stock bucking and a madbull tightbore inner barrel that is 509 x 6.03 mm in size.

I find that I don't need much more range than that, as most players I encounter have their rounds drop 50 feet in front of me....then I just take them out.

In airsoft, 220 feet is on the lower end of long range and the higher end of medium range. Most AEG's won't go but about 120-150 feet.

So you see, It's more about the way you play that warrants what type of upgrades you want to do. Do I want more FPS? sure! Do I want the responsibility of a 50 foot MED? No....as an ex-airsoft sniper, a 100 foot med was enough for me to deal with.

Besides...having a gun with an M120 is enough for me.

Edited by deadsilent120

I totally agree.

<AT> IronJaw:

*snip*

Ok, I see where you are going, and what you mean.

I would need a gun more like this:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=31855

(See, I'm already re-reading my first post, and cringing at my naivety. Keep the info coming!)

Edited by ironjaw

A true DMR is 10% parts 10% tuning and 80% patience really. Getting all the necessary parts and a decent base gun is easy and not necessarily expensive. To make a true DMR you'll have to invest hours and hours of careful tuning to get everything just right. This is for making what I would even consider calling a DMR. My two main assault rifles will hit an opponent at 200-250 feet without too much effort, but I wouldn't call them DMRs, because they don't have quite the consistency I would expect from a true DMR. I would consider them long range assault rifles.

In my book an airsoft DMR is an AEG specifically tuned to out-range assault rifle AEGs and compete with sniper rifles, you could say it's an anti-sniper rifle. Not sure if I'm making too much sense, but that's my opinion on the whole DMR concept.

By the way, what the heck do you mean by larger barrel?

A true DMR is 10% parts 10% tuning and 80% patience really. Getting all the necessary parts and a decent base gun is easy and not necessarily expensive. To make a true DMR you'll have to invest hours and hours of careful tuning to get everything just right. This is for making what I would even consider calling a DMR. My two main assault rifles will hit an opponent at 200-250 feet without too much effort, but I wouldn't call them DMRs, because they don't have quite the consistency I would expect from a true DMR. I would consider them long range assault rifles.

In my book an airsoft DMR is an AEG specifically tuned to out-range assault rifle AEGs and compete with sniper rifles, you could say it's an anti-sniper rifle. Not sure if I'm making too much sense, but that's my opinion on the whole DMR concept.

Ok, I see what you mean.

I had imagined a DMR to be an AEG that was tuned/focused more on accuracy and consistency. I see that that would be achieved through upgrades and tuning.

By the way, what the heck do you mean by larger barrel?

If it was something I said, I meant "longer barrels."

Edited by ironjaw

Ok, I see where you are going, and what you mean.

I would need a gun more like this:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=31855

(See, I'm already re-reading my first post, and cringing at my naivety. Keep the info coming!)

Thats a decent choice for a starter DMR. Just so you know the CM letters plus numbers indicate quality. The higher the number the better the gun. I think the highest number is 49.

Does anyone know whatever happened to KART? I'd like to get a nice EBR body under $500 (looking at you g&g)

Ok, I see what you mean.

I had imagined a DMR to be an AEG that was tuned/focused more on accuracy and consistency. I see that that would be achieved through upgrades and tuning.

Any AEG that you tune will have quite good accuracy and consistency with only a few key upgrades. When people refer to a DMR, they're talking about a different beast than you are.

A typical DMR is going to run hotter than the field FPS limit - because of this, it often has minimum engagement distances enforced similar to high FPS snipers and the gun *MUST* be modified to allow safe and semi auto only. GENERALLY (but not a requirement) a DMR is going to run a barrel which is longer than the standard M4 length - 400mm + is pretty normal--- this is because many feel that optimal length for acceleration and velocity is 400mm. A DMR will *USUALLY* have far more money invested in parts than the base gun costs. A DMR will typically have an ungodly amount of time invested in upgrade installations, DIY modifications, tuning, and repairs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the G&G Combat Machine you were looking at. Given your price range, it really would be an excellent choice, and being an M4, you'll have about a billion upgrade/customization options when you get around to it. With barrel extensions and mock silencers, you can get all the outer barrel length you need to cover a long inner barrel.

Ok, I see what you mean.

It was actually deadsilent. You don't need a ridiculously long barrel to get good range and accuracy. I could easily upgrade my KS P90 to hit opponents at 200 feet by just doing the flat-hop mod, improving compressiona nd using heavier bb's, no need for a longer barrel. Accuracy comes mostly from tuning and good bb's.

It was actually deadsilent. You don't need a ridiculously long barrel to get good range and accuracy. I could easily upgrade my KS P90 to hit opponents at 200 feet by just doing the flat-hop mod, improving compressiona nd using heavier bb's, no need for a longer barrel. Accuracy comes mostly from tuning and good bb's.

True.

So, after reading what everyone is saying, a DMRifle is any gun that is tweaked to outdistance most standard guns. It can really be based on anything, but the range and accuracy is achieved through upgrades and TLC. While there are many ways to achieve rang and accuracy, the key point is consistency.

Any AEG that you tune will have quite good accuracy and consistency with only a few key upgrades. When people refer to a DMR, they're talking about a different beast than you are.

A typical DMR is going to run hotter than the field FPS limit - because of this, it often has minimum engagement distances enforced similar to high FPS snipers and the gun *MUST* be modified to allow safe and semi auto only. GENERALLY (but not a requirement) a DMR is going to run a barrel which is longer than the standard M4 length - 400mm + is pretty normal--- this is because many feel that optimal length for acceleration and velocity is 400mm. A DMR will *USUALLY* have far more money invested in parts than the base gun costs. A DMR will typically have an ungodly amount of time invested in upgrade installations, DIY modifications, tuning, and repairs.

That's what I mean by barrel length. It doesn't mean everything, but it does help. Obviously however, there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

If you wanted to, like lefse has done, you can tune your short-barreled weapon into a DMR just by adding a flat hop and possibly a better spring...but the spring is not too important until you get the consistency down pat. This is yet another reason that Airsmithing and real steel gunsmithing are almost unrelated when it comes to internals.

To answer your question, yes....DMR's are made to outrange most AEG's on the field. You are on the right track.

Now....what platform will it be? THAT is the hard part right there.

Personally I wanted to go with an M14 or SOC-16, but I already had tons of spare parts and magazines for a G36, so I stuck with that platform and used a G36e. Had I wanted to spend a little more time (and money), I would've picked the M14 hands down....but my wallet and extra time only go so far. I literally spent hours and hours tuning my G36 into what it is now. Can't tell you how much money I saved by using parts off my old g36c that had broken.

Edited by deadsilent120

With a little more reading: An ideal DMR would have a tight, long, barrel; high-torque motor with high-torque gears; upgraded spring; and upgraded hop-up system. Shooting heavier .25+ BBs.

A Basic pre-upgarded rifle would be around $200, plus another $100+ in upgrades.

Not to mention the scope, mags, bi-pod, etc.

Edited by ironjaw