Sign in to follow this  
kemoesobie

Need Help Can't Decide!

Hi, I am looking to buy a good airsoft sniper. I have been loving then Echo 1 M28, but there is not much upgrade stuff you can do it to it to make it shoot further (unless I'm looking at the wrong sites for parts). I would like a sniper that shoots 500fps +. Is there any snipers I'm missing out there? My spending limit is $200 maybe a little more if the gun is better than Echo 1 M28.

Hope someone can give me a link to something with same to better FPS and more to upgrade with.

Thanks

Edit: I also don't like the plastic piston in the Echo 1 M28.

Edited by DDHairsoft

I would advise against getting a spring sniper rifle unless you plan on gutting the thing and replacing all or most of the internals. Almost all spring snipers have to have parts replaced soon because all of them have similar problems internally such as slam firing, bolt engagement issues, and hop-up and trigger mech breaking.

I would advise against getting a spring sniper rifle unless you plan on gutting the thing and replacing all or most of the internals. Almost all spring snipers have to have parts replaced soon because all of them have similar problems internally such as slam firing, bolt engagement issues, and hop-up and trigger mech breaking.

There is really no other sniper's out there. The AEG ones need batteries, the die easy in the middle of playing and aren't powerful. Gas snipers would be unfair playing with as they are to powerful. Also I would hate to have to gas up the sniper in the middle of a game. And gas snipers are more money. AEG ones are plastic junk most of the time.

EDIT: Also I was planning to replace the internals to one to metal if it wasn't to much.

Edited by DDHairsoft

Don't accuse all aegs of being junk. What do you think is better a echo 1 m28 or a handmade AEG by hunterseeker5? I personally think that snipers are the least important role in airsoft as a upgraded semi auto AEG will provide near equal if not better perfromance. My friend has a UTG l96 spring sniper rifle that needs everything replaced internally. If you did gut the m28 and replace everything it would cost $100 plus. and only then is it actually any good while a good $100-$150 AEG will perform admirably out of the box.

Don't accuse all aegs of being junk. What do you think is better a echo 1 m28 or a handmade AEG by hunterseeker5? I personally think that snipers are the least important role in airsoft as a upgraded semi auto AEG will provide near equal if not better perfromance. My friend has a UTG l96 spring sniper rifle that needs everything replaced internally. If you did gut the m28 and replace everything it would cost $100 plus. and only then is it actually any good while a good $100-$150 AEG will perform admirably out of the box.

What AEG shoots as hard as the echo1 m28? I'm not accusing all AEG's of being junk. I have just had bad experiences and with friends experiences. And again, it sucks when an AEG gun battery dies in mid game, and you have to wait for a recharge.

Most people have 3-4 batteries. Plus, they each last about 3-4 hours. So unless you're dreadfully unprepared or have the worst luck known to man, your AEG shouldn't usually cut out in battle. Even if it does, this isn't war, you can sprint back to the staging area, make a quick change, and be on your way. Don't discount AEGs. Get the right spring and battery, you could have an AEG tearing the field up exactly how you want it. I don't think that's in your price range however. You should just save up more money.

Most people have 3-4 batteries. Plus, they each last about 3-4 hours. So unless you're dreadfully unprepared or have the worst luck known to man, your AEG shouldn't usually cut out in battle. Even if it does, this isn't war, you can sprint back to the staging area, make a quick change, and be on your way. Don't discount AEGs. Get the right spring and battery, you could have an AEG tearing the field up exactly how you want it. I don't think that's in your price range however. You should just save up more money.

Thank you, I never thought of have 3-4 batteries. Do you have any suggestions on what AEG sniper is good? What batteries are good? If you can't give that advice on what to look for in an AEG sniper.

A good low priced gun to build a DMR off of is a Cyma M14

Get a large 8.4v Elite Battery from a battery pack place or a hobby store. Or get a 2 celled Lipo battery from Hobby King. Also need to get a balance charger for lipos or a smart charger for the Nimh battery.

Edited by ShooterMcgavin

Heck, I carry I couple extra batteries with me. As was said, a semi-auto AEG upgraded for better accuracy will help you so much more than a bolt action, not to mention it is far more versatile. I would suggest the CYMA M14, it performs great right out of the box. Add a prommy barrel and an R-hop, and you'd have a gun that is fully automatic, but capable of reaching out far enough to do better than a normal AEG, or a stock sniper rifle.

Edited by turtletech

Most AEGs can be upgraded to that powerlevel, but it will require heavily reinforced parts and extensive experience with tech work. If your AEG's battery dies in the middle of a game, you're doing something wrong. If you choose the right battery for your gun, it will last all day. This is why I only use li-pos, they have much higher capacity for their weight and size. With a stock sniper rifle you'll actually be at a massive disadvantage against high performance AEG's.

What AEGs have you and your friend tried? A high end AEG can last many years before it needs any internal maintenance.

I have been loving the Echo 1 M28

I have a pretty good amount of experience with the m28. Out of the box, it's actually really good. Great accuracy and consistency, and the body is made of good material. The biggest problem with this rifle is the plastic piston and the too strong spring. Also, the sears aren't good metal. This WILL lead to slam firing and the m28 has few to zero upgrades on the market, unless you have some vsr10 parts but even those aren't always guaranteed to fit. Echo 1 says they are going to be releasing a 90 degree upgrade for the m28. It should include piston, trigger assembly, spring, spring guide, and cylinder. If you really want the m28, wait until this 90 degree upgrade comes out. At least the rifle will be reliable.

If you want to see any videos of the m28, click the link in my signature for several youtube vids.

Most AEGs can be upgraded to that powerlevel, but it will require heavily reinforced parts and extensive experience with tech work. If your AEG's battery dies in the middle of a game, you're doing something wrong. If you choose the right battery for your gun, it will last all day. This is why I only use li-pos, they have much higher capacity for their weight and size. With a stock sniper rifle you'll actually be at a massive disadvantage against high performance AEG's.

What AEGs have you and your friend tried? A high end AEG can last many years before it needs any internal maintenance.

But can those parts be bought? My friend has a bunch of AEG's they are all messed up when you shoot so I don't use them. I bought me a MP5 and the company didn't even give me a charger and the clip didn't even hold 18 bullets. Also I didn't have a speed loader so it took 20mins to load it back. So I started hating AEG's all together right there.

I have a pretty good amount of experience with the m28. Out of the box, it's actually really good. Great accuracy and consistency, and the body is made of good material. The biggest problem with this rifle is the plastic piston and the too strong spring. Also, the sears aren't good metal. This WILL lead to slam firing and the m28 has few to zero upgrades on the market, unless you have some vsr10 parts but even those aren't always guaranteed to fit. Echo 1 says they are going to be releasing a 90 degree upgrade for the m28. It should include piston, trigger assembly, spring, spring guide, and cylinder. If you really want the m28, wait until this 90 degree upgrade comes out. At least the rifle will be reliable.

If you want to see any videos of the m28, click the link in my signature for several youtube vids.

I have been looking at the JG Bar-10 and the MK96? I think that is the sniper. They look promising and easy to upgrade (I don't know about the MK96 upgrade). Would those be the ideal thing to buy rather than the Echo 1 M28?

Edited by DDHairsoft

I must apologize for going against you all, but the UTG MK96 is NOT a piece of crap like you are saying it is. I've fired over 4000 rounds through mine, and only had to replace the plastic trigger box with a metal one, and that's had an additional 700 shots since the switch. I've never had to replace the piston, spring guide, cylinder, or any internal part for that matter other than the trigger box. $60 worth of parts from pyramydair.com, the upgrade kit and the metal trigger box, would put you at 530 FPS with .2g bb's, and the gun with the scope package only costs $175. Don't discount the UTG, because after the upgrades, especially with a madbull 499mm 6.03 tight bore barrel, you're shooting easily at 200+ feet accurately. Plus, the UTG works with PDI L96 parts and their customer service is pretty cooperative. Add in the fact the AirsoftGI has a reinforced heat treated trigger box for L96 style rifles, it's cheaper to get it where you want it than say an aeg built for a DMR. Don't be hating on the sniper role, it's not ENTIRELY useless. Just depends on if you as the shooter can pull it off.

Another factor of why a spring sniper rifle would be a better choice is that you use much less ammo if you aren't a total dunderhead. I use about 2 mags in a round, which equals out to 44 rounds, as compared to an aeg where I go through several hundred, usually the whole high cap if I have one. But, me being a total dunderhead, I tend to be trigger happy with AEG's. WIth a sniper rifle I know my rounds have to last, because the mags hold marginally less ammo. But, it's all your preference.

But can those parts be bought? My friend has a bunch of AEG's they are all messed up when you shoot so I don't use them. I bought me a MP5 and the company didn't even give me a charger and the clip didn't even hold 18 bullets. Also I didn't have a speed loader so it took 20mins to load it back. So I started hating AEG's all together right there.

Sounds like a cheap pos lpeg.

I have a 4000 mah 7.4 lipo that will easily last all day in my gun. The stock battery won't do that so you need to get a better one.

FPS doesn't mean a whole lot. Range comes from high quality, HEAVY bb's, and a good hop up. You could upgrade an aeg to shoot around 400 fps, get a tight bore and r hop up. If you did that, you would easily be able to hit people a lot of farther away than a stock sniper rifle (200-250 feet, maybe more).

He wants 500+ FPS, and $240 for the MK96, scope, rings, trigger box, metal upgrade kit, and the spring included in the kit will get you there. to get an AEG there, even a cheap one, you need a reinforced gearbox, and the tune up kits for the spring, plus the high torque motor and batteries necessary to get you there. Just an extra battery will cost you an extra $25 for a 2000mah batery, and if you get several, you're already borderline at $195 if you get a $120 AEG, and that's before you even reach internals. If you get one of JG's LiPo ready models, you could be pretty set. If I remember correctly they make a decent M4 variant with a long enough inner barrel for it to be feasible, but most likely the MK96 will end up being cheaper. In the long run the ammo costs makes the sniper rifle worth it, because $15 a year for ammo outweighs ~$10 every 2 games or so depending on how trigger happy you are for the AEG. I say MK96, it's more expensive at first, but ends up being worth it within the first year or so, especially if you rack the bolt like you're supposed to. If you don't want the parts to weaken in a unduly fast manner, ease the bolt back instead of yanking it like you see in the movies. Just be warned that the upgrade kit does add plenty of force, making the bolt draw a bit more difficult.

Sounds like a cheap pos lpeg.

I have a 4000 mah 7.4 lipo that will easily last all day in my gun. The stock battery won't do that so you need to get a better one.

FPS doesn't mean a whole lot. Range comes from high quality, HEAVY bb's, and a good hop up. You could upgrade an aeg to shoot around 400 fps, get a tight bore and r hop up. If you did that, you would easily be able to hit people a lot of farther away than a stock sniper rifle (200-250 feet, maybe more).

I know, I want a sniper with range. That is the reason I'm asking what parts I would need to upgrade that.

He wants 500+ FPS, and $240 for the MK96, scope, rings, trigger box, metal upgrade kit, and the spring included in the kit will get you there. to get an AEG there, even a cheap one, you need a reinforced gearbox, and the tune up kits for the spring, plus the high torque motor and batteries necessary to get you there. Just an extra battery will cost you an extra $25 for a 2000mah batery, and if you get several, you're already borderline at $195 if you get a $120 AEG, and that's before you even reach internals. If you get one of JG's LiPo ready models, you could be pretty set. If I remember correctly they make a decent M4 variant with a long enough inner barrel for it to be feasible, but most likely the MK96 will end up being cheaper. In the long run the ammo costs makes the sniper rifle worth it, because $15 a year for ammo outweighs ~$10 every 2 games or so depending on how trigger happy you are for the AEG. I say MK96, it's more expensive at first, but ends up being worth it within the first year or so, especially if you rack the bolt like you're supposed to. If you don't want the parts to weaken in a unduly fast manner, ease the bolt back instead of yanking it like you see in the movies. Just be warned that the upgrade kit does add plenty of force, making the bolt draw a bit more difficult.

Exactly what upgrade would you recommend for the MK96? I plan on buying it all at once if I got it.

Edited by DDHairsoft

I still think an AEG is a better choice. One of my friends is a die hard bolt action fan and he still thinks AEGs are better and far more practical. Also, acer, you didn't mention a tightbore barrel which is critical for a rifles accuracy. Thats at least another $30. A spring rifle may be cheaper in the long run, but I am sure that AEGs are a better buy overall. Parts are nearly unlimited for v2/v3 gearboxes and AEGs are completely customizable.

Example:

You have a long range high power spring sniper rifle shooting at 500 fps. Your friends want you to play CQB with them. You cant because your gun is way to powerful and the field wont let you use it. Conclusion: either buy another gun suitable for CQB or miss out and only play at range friendly filed.

You have a long range high power AEG shooting at 500 fps. Your friends want you to play CQB with them. Your gun is too powerful though. Good thing low power AEG springs are only $10. After you get the spring you install it (30 minute job or so) are ready to go play CQB and no one gets left out.

As a side note JG version 3 gearboxes can easily withstand m140 springs with a sorbo pad (5$).

Edited by jgm

I still thinl an AEG is a better choice. One of my friends is a die hard bolt action fan and he still thinks AEGs are better and far more practical. Also, acer, you didn't mention a tightbore barrel which is critical for a rifles accuracy. Thats at least another $30. A spring rifle may be cheaper in the long run, but I am sure that AEGs are a better buy overall. Parts are nearly unlimited for v2/v3 gearboxes and AEGs are completely customizable.

Example:

You have a long range high power spring sniper rifle shooting at 500 fps. Your friends want you to play CQB with them. You cant because your gun is way to powerful and the field wont let you use it. Conclusion: either buy another gun suitable for CQB or miss out and only play at range friendly filed.

You have a long range high power AEG shooting at 500 fps. Your friends want you to play CQB with them. Your gun is too powerful though. Good thing low power AEG springs are only $10. After you get the spring you install it (30 minute job or so) are ready to go play CQB and no one gets left out.

As a side note JG version 3 gearboxes can easily withstand m140 springs with a sorbo pad (5$).

I have gotten ideas on on what AEG sniper, what is your suggestion on a great AEG that can be upgraded to 500+fps which is like 200ft+. Also, I'm not to fond of AEG's so if you suggest a gun can you tell me what I would have to buy to get it to shoot like that? Thank you.

Okay I see the classic sniper vs aeg argument here. Yes stock aeg vs stock sniper aeg wins. But I personally enjoy playing with a stock mk96 with a bunch of diy mods. Last weekend we played and the other team had some extensivly upgraded aegs. Not onl di I rack up a ton of kills I also was able to direct my team to a ton more kills. Being an airsic sniper is not easy but if you know how to hide and use your radio you can be an invaluable asset to your team. You have to know when to pull that trigger an when to grab your radio. Some people hate it some people love it. It is a great role but it isnt for everyone.

If you decide to go with an AEG DMR a good starter platform would be a M14. I posted a topic in the AEG section of this forum about the best AEG m14 and everyone says that G&G makes the best M14 on the market. One person, verismiltude, said its the most accurate stock gun she has ever fired. I am currently flipping some internal parts so that I can get some extra cash so that I can get one. For $255 you have a great gun accurate to 200ft stock. With another $100 or so you can easily increase that to 300ft with R-hop and a Pormetheus barrel.

If you decide to go with an AEG DMR a good starter platform would be a M14. I posted a topic in the AEG section of this forum about the best AEG m14 and everyone says that G&G makes the best M14 on the market. One person, verismiltude, said its the most accurate stock gun she has ever fired. I am currently flipping some internal parts so that I can get some extra cash so that I can get one. For $255 you have a great gun accurate to 200ft stock. With another $100 or so you can easily increase that to 300ft with R-hop and a Pormetheus barrel.

Thank you, Airsoftgi says it is 330 -350 fps stock. That's a little disappointing.

I am left with mixed thoughts. I was set on spring rifle now I'm set on AEG, but confused on what things help upgrade it and what AEG. I do like the M14, but I would like a scope on it. Most M14's don't have that mound. Also the gun is expensive as is, leaving no room for upgrade. I was hoping to pay 100-200 (maybe little over) for the actual gun, then spend 100 (maybe little over) in upgrades to help the range.

Don't try to rush your decision because thats when you get burned. I was looking for an AEG for 6 months and I still got burned because I made a hasty decision. It really takes a long time to learn to about all types of airsoft stuff. (I'm still clueless in many departments) I thought I knew it all 6 months before I joined this forum. Thats laughable now from what I've learned and my current knowledge is laughable by many still. A scope isn't crucial for a DMR but it is a nice feature. It depends somewhat on your play style.

I am left with mixed thoughts. I was set on spring rifle now I'm set on AEG, but confused on what things help upgrade it and what AEG. I do like the M14, but I would like a scope on it. Most M14's don't have that mound. Also the gun is expensive as is, leaving no room for upgrade. I was hoping to pay 100-200 (maybe little over) for the actual gun, then spend 100 (maybe little over) in upgrades to help the range.

If you do decide to get an aeg, start another thread and other members and I will be glad to help you with your part choices. I know it can be daunting at first :a-wink:

I should make one thing clear. Fps is NOT the main factor in determining your range. Hop up and barrel is the main factors. If you only get one upgrade for your gun (sniper or aeg) get the r-hop up patch. That one inexpensive part could easily double your gun's range.

Don't try to rush your decision because thats when you get burned. I was looking for an AEG for 6 months and I still got burned because I made a hasty decision. It really takes a long time to learn to about all types of airsoft stuff. (I'm still clueless in many departments) I thought I knew it all 6 months before I joined this forum. Thats laughable now from what I've learned and my current knowledge is laughable by many still. A scope isn't crucial for a DMR but it is a nice feature. It depends somewhat on your play style.

I'm not rushing, I'm getting ideas for when I know what I want. I am just learning all the parts and things. AEG is more confusing it seems, because it is battery powered (electric). Also my playing style is waiting, and long range shots. I'm not good at close range, moving around most of the time kind of guy.

If you do decide to get an aeg, start another thread and other members and I will be glad to help you with your part choices. I know it can be daunting at first :a-wink:

I should make one thing clear. Fps is NOT the main factor in determining your range. Hop up and barrel is the main factors. If you only get one upgrade for your gun (sniper or aeg) get the r-hop up patch. That one inexpensive part could easily double your gun's range.

I will make another thread if I decide to go that route (looking like it because of money). I know FPS is not all about it, the reason I say that is with FPS usually comes with range (the main factor when I purchase a gun). I just don't want trash that shoots all over the place when I need to make that long range shot.

Other than tokyo marui, I can't think of any stock aeg that won't do that to a certain extent.

Not sounding desperate here, but I just want something like a sniper (scope, bipod) and can unload/burst when needed. The M14 looks good and all, but is out of my price range. What other AEG's are good out there that are good?

If you want something cheaper you have fewer long range options. There is the g&g combat machine m4. Its one of the best starter guns Imo. You will need a suppressor for a longer barrel but the gun is $140 new without a battery or charger. Two of my friends own this gun and they couldn't be much happier.

I have been looking at the JG Bar-10 and the MK96? I think that is the sniper. They look promising and easy to upgrade (I don't know about the MK96 upgrade). Would those be the ideal thing to buy rather than the Echo 1 M28?

Sorry, I'm a little slow on answering. But yes, the mk96 and the jg bar 10 are the two better to best choices for spring sniper rifles. I also have a UTG mk96 and I love it. It's quiet, accurate out of the box, and has a super smooth bolt pull. Between the mk96 and the bar10, it's really up to you based on which one looks nicer because both rifles have a huge aftermarket parts list. Both are great as out-of-the-box rifles and as upgrade platforms.

As for the aeg sniper rifle question, when I think sniper rifle, I immediately think of a bolt action rifle. If you have a dmr, you'll probably be tempted to pull the trigger too many times and now it's just an accurate assault rifle. The way I see it is this: if you want an aeg sniper rifle, you'll have to spend a lot of money on 1) a good base rifle and 2) good upgrades. I like to think of bolt action rifles as the standard for sniping. If you aren't too picky or ocd about little things, then you can buy inexpensive upgrades for a spring rifle that will more than please you.

Sorry, I'm a little slow on answering. But yes, the mk96 and the jg bar 10 are the two better to best choices for spring sniper rifles. I also have a UTG mk96 and I love it. It's quiet, accurate out of the box, and has a super smooth bolt pull. Between the mk96 and the bar10, it's really up to you based on which one looks nicer because both rifles have a huge aftermarket parts list. Both are great as out-of-the-box rifles and as upgrade platforms.

As for the aeg sniper rifle question, when I think sniper rifle, I immediately think of a bolt action rifle. If you have a dmr, you'll probably be tempted to pull the trigger too many times and now it's just an accurate assault rifle. The way I see it is this: if you want an aeg sniper rifle, you'll have to spend a lot of money on 1) a good base rifle and 2) good upgrades. I like to think of bolt action rifles as the standard for sniping. If you aren't too picky or ocd about little things, then you can buy inexpensive upgrades for a spring rifle that will more than please you.

Thanks, I'm still deciding AEG or Spring. I can't make up my mind. The pros and cons even out on both.

If you upgrade either, you will be happy with either. I just like the customizability and adaptability of an AEG. I currently have a friends non functional UTG MK96. It needs a new trigger box but thats it. I'm going to sell it on ebay so my friend can get a new Lancer m4. Its a shame the hop-up is broken (adjustable but NOT fun to adjust). If it worked I could get more for it. I really like it though. I don't see anything wrong with it besides the complete garbage trigger box.

If you upgrade either, you will be happy with either. I just like the customizability and adaptability of an AEG. I currently have a friends non functional UTG MK96. It needs a new trigger box but thats it. I'm going to sell it on ebay so my friend can get a new Lancer m4. Its a shame the hop-up is broken (adjustable but NOT fun to adjust). If it worked I could get more for it. I really like it though. I don't see anything wrong with it besides the complete garbage trigger box.

I liek the idea of AEG can put out more faster when needed. A spring rifle you would do bolt action then shoot and repeat.

It is very true that you can reach the same results with an aeg but it will cost more. I plan to try to make that sr-25 shoot harder and farther than my l96. the only real issue is that most fields have fps restrictions on aegs. Sure fps isn't by any means the most important thing but it is still important. Being that I mostly play at a field that I and a group of friends built I don't have to worry about fps rules. Don't get me wrong I love to play at fields but wisconsin doesn't have much to choose from. We get enough people to have nice games so it is still extremely fun. A bolt action is more for the extra fps at fields which with the right internals equals extra range. Not much but if used properly can be effective.