Sign in to follow this  
Mangeezer

best paint for airsoft

I want to paint my airsoft gun some highlighted colors to further say to neighbors and police that this is not a real gun. What is the best paint for the job that won't wear out? my gun has complete plastic externals but a complete metal gear box.

Any suggestions?

(I have a Lancer tactical M4, and I want it to look like this:

post-76417-1343930215_thumb.png

Edited by Mangeezer

Well if you're going to airsoft in your backyard I guess that's the best way to do it. Still feel bad for that airsoft gun though.

Same here. I've never been a big fan of the bright paint jobs. Brightest I could see having it is chromed. Otherwise, I've never much liked those, but if its for safety, go right ahead.

The problem I have with painting airsoft guns bright colors and having blaze orange flash hiders just to designate that it's not a real gun is that I could do both of those to a real gun just as easy as an airsoft gun. Just because you paint your airsoft gun lime green doesn't mean that a real firearm can't be lime green. I honestly think painting or doing anything to an airsoft gun to say that it's not a firearm is a total waste of time.

Leave your gun the way it is and let your neighbors deal with it. If cops show up, immediately drop the guns and explain to the officers that they are toys. I damn near guarantee they won't show up again on a call saying kids have guns.

With spray paint it really is all the same. What you'll want to look for is the color you want. In spray paint there are only two kind of paint, expensive (EX: alumhyde) and cheap (EX: krylon), you can tell the difference by how they are priced :P. Between expensive paint and cheap paint, the actual brand you get doesn't really matter.

Do you need expensive paint? Probably not for airsoft. It's designed to stand up solvents and heat. Not necessary for a gun that only shoots bb's. It is a little more durable, but probably not worth the extra cost, for all the things it does you don't need.

To get a good, solid, durable finish, you need to prep the gun well. First sand it. Do not sand down to bare metal. Just rough up the surface, the entire surface, well. I recommend using 80-200 grit. Degrease it. Primer it. Sand it again (around 400-100 grit). Wetsanding is better at this point. Then paint it. Clear it if you can. I've never found a good flat clear in spray paint though. It's nothing like automotive.

With a good foundation, you're paint job will be decently durable and good looking, no matter what kind you have. Without a good foundation, you could be using cerakote and it will come out like crap.

Check out my paint jobs if you don't feel like taking my advice lol: http://www.mutinouscreations.com/gallery.html

-Bri

Edited by Mutinous Creations

The problem I have with painting airsoft guns bright colors and having blaze orange flash hiders just to designate that it's not a real gun is that I could do both of those to a real gun just as easy as an airsoft gun. Just because you paint your airsoft gun lime green doesn't mean that a real firearm can't be lime green. I honestly think painting or doing anything to an airsoft gun to say that it's not a firearm is a total waste of time.

Leave your gun the way it is and let your neighbors deal with it. If cops show up, immediately drop the guns and explain to the officers that they are toys. I damn near guarantee they won't show up again on a call saying kids have guns.

Actually my sister has a pink and purple .22 :P. But yeah, bright colors aren't a neccesity, as long as you're safe and you don't do anything stupid, nobody should care. And if your neighbors don't like it, paint it like a blue or green, it will still stand out but won't look like a rose in the desert if you play airsoft in the woods.

But if you do want yellow, use some nice spray paint, krylon does work pretty well for the price too.