yomama360

Is it bad to shoot an AEG in single shot?

I have been told that it is not good for your gears or motor to keep shooting an AEG in single shot mode. Because:

1. it does not allow the gears to fully cycle. (I suspect this is not a problem if you keep the trigger held long enough)

2. starting and stopping a motor abruptly dramatically increases it's wear and tear.

I have heard this from several non-authoritative sources. They could just be regurgitating information from the same bad source. Can anyone corroborate or debunk this?

(If you reply, please state if you actually have experience / authoritative knowledge working with electronic motors, or if it's just your hunch and opinion.)

The only problem with single fire is people not doing full and complete pulls of the trigger which can lock up your gearbox. number 2 is not true, that only applies if you have a mosfet with AB, active breaking. in fact, semi only will prolong the life of your gun because there isnt the constant stress like there is with full auto.

semi auto is more demanding on your gun's electrical system. that is the motor, battery. I wouldn't say it's 'bad' for your gun unless you run a powerful battery/setup without a mosfet, as that will destroy your trigger contacts fast.

To add to what RifleWizard said, the only real way you would have any electrical troubles would be if you were to run a very high-drain battery like a lipo in your gun. I do airsoft tech work on my team and let me tell you that I've seen plenty of instances where trigger contacts have been just eaten away by folks who run lipos in guns that aren't ready for that kind of strain.

Essentially, using a higher drain battery like a lipo speeds up the entropy process (physics term look it up) and therefore things wear out faster. Same goes for gas guns if you use CO2. I'm no guru on either airsoft system, but I know my way around an AEG. Gas guns? Not so much....lol.

I shoot in semi only every time I play, 11.1v 20C 2000mah lipo, no mosfet, and everything in my gun is just fine. I've checked the trigger contacts, gears, etc. for wear, and there was only the typical wear from shooting the gun.

Ditto.

I shoot in semi only every time I play, 11.1v 20C 2000mah lipo, no mosfet, and everything in my gun is just fine. I've checked the trigger contacts, gears, etc. for wear, and there was only the typical wear from shooting the gun.

Your gun's contacts will eventually wear out. It's not advisable for long term reliability to use a setup like that. I've been using my G3 for 3 years now on a high powered battery with no problems, because of my MOSFET. That's reliability.

Shooting in semi without a MOSFET will cause arcing and damage to contacts. That's just a fact. However you shoot your gun your contacts will wear out, there's nothing unusual or wrong about it. Just get a MOSFET, is my recommendation. Otherwise you will be replacing contacts, but again that's not a really bad thing.

To add to what RifleWizard said, the only real way you would have any electrical troubles would be if you were to run a very high-drain battery like a lipo in your gun. I do airsoft tech work on my team and let me tell you that I've seen plenty of instances where trigger contacts have been just eaten away by folks who run lipos in guns that aren't ready for that kind of strain.

Essentially, using a higher drain battery like a lipo speeds up the entropy process (physics term look it up) and therefore things wear out faster. Same goes for gas guns if you use CO2. I'm no guru on either airsoft system, but I know my way around an AEG. Gas guns? Not so much....lol.

You were on a roll there until you said that any lithium polymer battery = high drain.

Your gun only draws as much amperage as it needs. Even if you have a high C/ mah battery, your gun won't necessarily use it all. Your are actually straining your battery and motor by using a battery the puts out low amperage (low C/ low mah or a combo of both).

I have been told that it is not good for your gears or motor to keep shooting an AEG in single shot mode. Because:

1. it does not allow the gears to fully cycle. (I suspect this is not a problem if you keep the trigger held long enough)

2. starting and stopping a motor abruptly dramatically increases it's wear and tear.

I have heard this from several non-authoritative sources. They could just be regurgitating information from the same bad source. Can anyone corroborate or debunk this?

(If you reply, please state if you actually have experience / authoritative knowledge working with electronic motors, or if it's just your hunch and opinion.)

1. Wrong, but with a flawed trigger setup it possible to pull the trigger and let go before the sector gear makes a full turn.

2. Actually true, but not in a bad way. The resistance build up might get hot but that is why you upgrade the wiring and connectors. Of course there will always be heat but it will be more tolerable.

A real mosfet that protects the trigger would be nice to have so you never have to repair the trigger contacts. You can shoot for so long before they actually go beyond cleaning and are damaged. Then they will need to be replaced. Also on top of that is the voltage can spike. Just so much nicer with a mosfet.

I'm a Tech at a store near a CQB field that only allows semi and I've replaced a ton of V2 trigger switches that are burned out. Semi has other issues with people short stroking the trigger trying to get a higher ROF on semi and stripping out pistons (or sometimes gears). Broken trigger stops seem to be more common with semi on clone guns.