Sign in to follow this  
snipedurast

what's the difference?

Hi so I'm upgrading my m4 that I'm building into a DMR and I was trying to figure out what the difference was between these two cylinder upgrades, but before anyone could give me a good answer evike's admins locked my thread. So could anyone tell me what the difference is between these two? Is it just one comes with a piston and the other doesn't? http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=28019 http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=25882

Thank you!

The first one is a "bore up" set, which includes a larger bore cylinder, cylinder head, piston head and air nozzle. This, you don't need unless you are going hardcore on the rifle. The second one is just better-than-stock parts that will last longer and help seal better. The second one isn't terribly priced for the quality, but you probably don't need the cylinder or the piston head unless yours is trashed, and a good quality cylinder head, piston head (if you need it) and air nozzle can be had from clandestineairsoft.com for cheap.

The first one is a "bore up" set, which includes a larger bore cylinder, cylinder head, piston head and air nozzle. This, you don't need unless you are going hardcore on the rifle. The second one is just better-than-stock parts that will last longer and help seal better. The second one isn't terribly priced for the quality, but you probably don't need the cylinder or the piston head unless yours is trashed, and a good quality cylinder head, piston head (if you need it) and air nozzle can be had from clandestineairsoft.com for cheap.

well the problem is when I first started building it a year ago I hadn't really researched that much and just bought an extremely long barrel a 550mm. So I need all the fps I can get and later I might upgrade the spring but I need to get gears and a new motor for it too if I'm going to do that, and I basically have the same piston as the one in the other package so I don't need another one. So for what I'm looking for wouldn't the bore up help me more?

well the problem is when I first started building it a year ago I hadn't really researched that much and just bought an extremely long barrel a 550mm. So I need all the fps I can get and later I might upgrade the spring but I need to get gears and a new motor for it too if I'm going to do that, and I basically have the same piston as the one in the other package so I don't need another one. So for what I'm looking for wouldn't the bore up help me more?

Not really, bore-up kits are for barrels 590+mm IIRC. You would do better with a full cylinder and Lonex A2 or JG Blue motor along with your spring of choice. Speaking of, what FPS are you trying to achieve?

Edited by Pwn-90

Not really, bore-up kits are for barrels 590+mm IIRC. You would do better with a full cylinder and Lonex A2 or JG Blue motor along with your spring of choice. Speaking of, what FPS are you trying to achieve?

Ok what do you mean by full cylinder? and well I was wanting to order off of Evike because I'm getting other stuff along with my upgrades for my dmr and I can get the biggest discount off Evike so for financial reasons I want to order everything through them and they don't have the jg blue in stock. They have this matrix that I had looked at before though wouldn't it accomplish the job just as well? and I was thinking about 450 fps. I was thinking I was probably going to put a 130 spring in there.

Ok what do you mean by full cylinder? and well I was wanting to order off of Evike because I'm getting other stuff along with my upgrades for my dmr and I can get the biggest discount off Evike so for financial reasons I want to order everything through them and they don't have the jg blue in stock. They have this matrix that I had looked at before though wouldn't it accomplish the job just as well? and I was thinking about 450 fps. I was thinking I was probably going to put a 130 spring in there.

A full cylinder is a type 0 cylinder, one with no port. As for the Matrix motor, I would advise against it, Matrix-labeled parts are known for their horrible QC. M130 will be fine, just make sure you take care of the gearbox after reading through this

A full cylinder is a type 0 cylinder, one with no port. As for the Matrix motor, I would advise against it, Matrix-labeled parts are known for their horrible QC. M130 will be fine, just make sure you take care of the gearbox after reading through this

Thank you a bunch you've helped me a lot I think I have everything. I don't really know too much about tech stuff on airsoft guns yet but I'm trying to learn =P but what is QC, it seemed like the people who reviewed it said it worked great other than the pinion gear which I can just replace with my old one if I'm not mistaken, and if the Matrix motor isn't up to par could I get this aim one instead or would you still recomend the two you said earlier http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=33030 also one more thing I've heard people arguing about metal teeth on a piston or not my piston has one metal tooth and the rest are plastic for a 130 spring do you think I would need to move to metal teeth or not?

Thank you a bunch you've helped me a lot I think I have everything. I don't really know too much about tech stuff on airsoft guns yet but I'm trying to learn =P but what is QC, it seemed like the people who reviewed it said it worked great other than the pinion gear which I can just replace with my old one if I'm not mistaken, and if the Matrix motor isn't up to par could I get this aim one instead or would you still recomend the two you said earlier http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPat...oducts_id=33030 also one more thing I've heard people arguing about metal teeth on a piston or not my piston has one metal tooth and the rest are plastic for a 130 spring do you think I would need to move to metal teeth or not?

QC = Quality Control = consistency/quality. Idk a lot about AIM, maybe someone else can chime in on that. If you wanna be safe, go with Lonex/JG. What brand piston is it?

QC = Quality Control = consistency/quality. Idk a lot about AIM, maybe someone else can chime in on that. If you wanna be safe, go with Lonex/JG. What brand piston is it?

I don't know it is just the stock piston from my echo 1 I don't know if it's re branded because I think echo 1 re brands jg gears I'm not sure if they do other parts

I don't know it is just the stock piston from my echo 1 I don't know if it's re branded because I think echo 1 re brands jg gears I'm not sure if they do other parts

If you tune the gearbox well, the piston should be fine, though a lonex piston may be better suited to the fps

Bore up kits are not just for 550+mm barrels. They make B-U kits for short barrel AEG's too.

Thing is...Bore-Up is a gimmick. By shaving down the interior of of a cylinder to increase volume the retailer charges you say...double for an item that has less material.

In reality a bore up may give you about ~3% more internal air volume over a standard cylinder.

To improve your set up. Switch to a shorter barrel.

Cylinder volume should not be exceed by barrel volume. These are blow guns and work on blow gun physics...

Bore up kits are not just for 550+mm barrels. They make B-U kits for short barrel AEG's too.

Thing is...Bore-Up is a gimmick. By shaving down the interior of of a cylinder to increase volume the retailer charges you say...double for an item that has less material.

In reality a bore up may give you about ~3% more internal air volume over a standard cylinder.

To improve your set up. Switch to a shorter barrel.

Cylinder volume should not be exceed by barrel volume. These are blow guns and work on blow gun physics...

WAIT WAIT WAIT EVERYONE STOP.

First off you shouldn't be running a barrel that long in an AEG PERIOD. Longer barrels to that extent decrease accuracy and power not increase it. This whole fallacy of getting a bore-up so that you can run a longer barrel is untrue, and why would you want it anyway? The purpose of a bore-up is to give you greater volume. Why? Because this is a PNEUMATIC system not a hydraulic one. This means that the air compresses, and you need more cylinder volume than barrel volume. The higher the power the gun, the more volume in your cylinder you need relative to your barrel length. THAT is the point of a bore-up, its a high power AEG accessory. You can also use it for a variety of more subtle tuning techniques which are beyond the scope of this discussion.

If you're only seeing a 3% difference in volume that means you either didn't get a bore up, did your volume calculations between two bore ups, or didn't do any calculations at all and are just guessing.

"Cylinder volume should not be exceed by barrel volume."

Given that cylinder volume effectively ALWAYS exceeds barrel volume, and in fact SHOULD exceed barrel volume I'm going to take a wild guess and say you never bothered to calculate it ergo you're just guessing. B-ups usually hang around the 10-15% volume increase mark, but of course it depends on what cylinder diameter you consider bore-up and what you consider "standard" since they all vary by a little here and there.

I hope that clears up everything regarding bore-ups.

The 3% comment goes back 9 years ago when we took a TM type 2 cylinder and compared it to the BU of the time SystemA Diameter increase from BU to non-BU was only 3%.

I incorrectly correlated that to an entire volume increase, which is my mistake.

And that goes back to the point of this being airsoft.

There are no manufacturing standards or consistency. Its all varies and requires tweaking...