Sign in to follow this  
ZaCkOX

V2 Gearbox: Protecting wires in the pistol grip

I have protected the wires 2 times with heatshrink but the motor seems to still shredd the heatshrink and then the end metal connectors are touching the pistol grip end plate. In the past, I have soldered the wires and this seems to be the most reliable way however I must always keep a solder iron with me to remove it at some point. The wear is from the motor hitting the wires into the metal plate and eventually exposing the heatshrink. I wish they made these with plastic that touches the motor and NOT METAL. I think it was a dumb design not to mention all the modification I have done in the past to prevent shorting because of the metal being exposed to the motor on both the positive and negative side.

Any better ideas? I was thinking of sanding and gluing on some insulation to the end plate. BTW the motor is a Lonex Titan A2. I have dry fired maybe 10k by now, doing several tests, checking reliability.

I have protected the wires 2 times with heatshrink but the motor seems to still shredd the heatshrink and then the end metal connectors are touching the pistol grip end plate. In the past, I have soldered the wires and this seems to be the most reliable way however I must always keep a solder iron with me to remove it at some point. The wear is from the motor hitting the wires into the metal plate and eventually exposing the heatshrink. I wish they made these with plastic that touches the motor and NOT METAL. I think it was a dumb design not to mention all the modification I have done in the past to prevent shorting because of the metal being exposed to the motor on both the positive and negative side.

Any better ideas? I was thinking of sanding and gluing on some insulation to the end plate. BTW the motor is a Lonex Titan A2. I have dry fired maybe 10k by now, doing several tests, checking reliability.

This stuff:

317644751.jpg

plasti1.jpg

works great for insulating irregularly shaped objects

dsci0925d.jpg

You would not even have to do the motor plate, just brush the stuff on the exposed metal parts of the wires.

comes in camo, if you want to waterproof your guns

38106p%20(2).jpg

100_9204.jpg

100_9205.jpg

predatar.jpg

And it peels off when you get tired of it.

So many uses, Its like liquid duct tape :a-cheesy:

That is pretty awesome stuff... I can't cut off the metal or the motor will spin wildly because nothing holds it. The plate barely holds the motor in the first place. It was made with only necessary material. It isn't like the other plates that have excessive metal to cut off. The points it holds the motor is where the wear is.

I have a good git of experience with Plasti-Dip and can tell you it is not very impressive in terms of quality.

Now, my experience is with the Spray-on can, not the actual dipping liquid.

The difference in quality and sustained function could be vast between the two.

If nothing else, avoid Plasti-Dip in the Spray-on can for your specific intended purpose.

I am pretty sure there is about a 100% chance the Plasti-Dip from the Spray-on can would not last one game from the heat from your motor.

I would recommend what Star suggested with the electrical tape.

I have this in a couple of my guns right now between the base plate and the motor terminals.

My purpose for doing this is because I prefer Sniper Grips.

The issue that arises with Sniper Grips is that motor tabs seem to have a lot of room to slide off the motor terminals.

The motor seems to have a lot of open space to move around as well which contributes to this issue.

I find that taking a long piece of electrical tape and folding it over until it is just the right thickness and placing it between the motor terminals and the base plate solves the issue. Crimping the motor tabs certainly helps as well with this.

See what you can accomplish with the electrical tape.

It's cheap and you can start over as many times as you need.

I have a good git of experience with Plasti-Dip and can tell you it is not very impressive in terms of quality.

Now, my experience is with the Spray-on can, not the actual dipping liquid.

The difference in quality and sustained function could be vast between the two.

If nothing else, avoid Plasti-Dip in the Spray-on can for your specific intended purpose.

I am pretty sure there is about a 100% chance the Plasti-Dip from the Spray-on can would not last one game from the heat from your motor.

I would recommend what Star suggested with the electrical tape.

I have this in a couple of my guns right now between the base plate and the motor terminals.

My purpose for doing this is because I prefer Sniper Grips.

The issue that arises with Sniper Grips is that motor tabs seem to have a lot of room to slide off the motor terminals.

The motor seems to have a lot of open space to move around as well which contributes to this issue.

I find that taking a long piece of electrical tape and folding it over until it is just the right thickness and placing it between the motor terminals and the base plate solves the issue. Crimping the motor tabs certainly helps as well with this.

See what you can accomplish with the electrical tape.

It's cheap and you can start over as many times as you need.

I have used electrical tape long ago. May resort back to that. I wonder how nice this dip is...

Use heat shrink on the connectors themselves, and then use electrical tape on the motor plate to insulate it.

Yea I just got done sanding and super gluing a layer of electrical tape all around the end plate.

Edit: The connectors are a little sharp and this is why they break through the heatshrink. They hit into the metal end plate and eventually cut through.

Edited by ZaCkOX