Sign in to follow this  
Jirvz

HPA for a WE M14 EBR

So I'm actually getting a quote for having a Fully upgraded WE M14 EBR with RA-Tech reinforced parts installed as well as having it run off HPA and more other goodies. This is being done by a company that does custom gas guns and its in the really pricey side. I did consider doing it myself. Just order a RA-Tech M14 EBR LVL. 2 and just tap the mags for HPA myself. With some research the passed few nights I think I've gotten the idea on how to do it. I just need a 1/8 drill bit and tap and a 1/8 NPT Quick Disconnect, Regulator and tank, right? I checked out Palmers Pursuit and Im still unsure on which air rig to get. Also are high flow valves for the mag necessary? Could use some suggestions/advice. Thanks in advance!

Is there a reason you want to do an M14 with an HPA setup? A gas M14 would have the power you are looking for and you can make them pretty quiet.

As for the setup you need for an HPA, you need a tank, regulator with hose, and of course the Fusion Engine. Check out RedlineAirsoft. Very good service and great prices.

The setup you are talking about should be fairly simple to do, I have 10 tapped WE M4 mags that I run in a stock WE PDW and an L85. The set up works great and is really useful. However there are some downsides to tapping the mags to HPA. When a mag runs dry you have to eject the mag and the air hose then re-connect it when the fresh mag is in. I've found it to be somewhat cumbersome to do on the field. For the air rig I'd recommend on the P* air rigs, it already has dual regs and works quite well with my set up. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

ntrirish7,

Thank you!!! The switching of mags is no problem to me, Im using the m14 for the sniper role and I'm not expecting many rounds down range. I'm looking at a specific rig from palmers pursuit...

Air Rig Here

Maybe I'll be using 3 mags at a time... I barely reload my VSR Mag for sniping in a game. If I ever did, it would only reload once. So I expect my play style to be the same.

I'll link you to the rig I was talking about, its about the same price but has 2 regs which gives you a little more consistency. Another thing I'd suggest is to put epoxy over the fill valves to prevent them from leaking under higher pressures.

Link: http://www.eagleairsoft.net/index.php?page...rt&Itemid=2

It seems like most places are out of that rig. The palmers rig will do just fine. You can always add a 2nd reg later, but you might have to change a couple of fitting and get more tubing if you do. Make sure you get your palmers from a reputable place, my teammate a new one off ebay and its been nothing but problems.

I have a tapped WE M14 EBR myself, really easy to do.

For a rig, I would suggest building one yourself. I'll assume that you are in the US, so you can order from McMaster. Parts list can be found here: http://www.classicairsoft.org/forum/showth...al-reg-gas-rigs or you can buy one straight from AustinWolv. You can also get fittings there while you are at it. The plus side of building your own air rig is that you can customize the hoses to be exactly however long you need (I run it from my hydro carrier, over the front of my vest (using the molle straps), out a grenade pouch (to hold the secondary reg) and to the gun) and it has yet to snag or slow down my reloading speed too much.

As for a tap kit, if you have a Harbour Freight and Tool nearby, I would get their tap kit. I believe I got one for about $10 after their weekly 20% off coupon http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/ta...-set-39391.html Not the best quality, but it's functional for the pot metal of a WE mag. Mine worked just fine and tapped 6 mags without any issues.

The only additional thing I recommend you do buy is a vise to hold the mags steady while you tap them. Other than that, you should be able to tap and use the mags for pretty much nothing.

If you happen to be trigger happy and don't want to pay too much to fill your tanks constantly, I would suggest investing in a pair of scuba tanks to fill from, where you completely fill from one tank and top off using the other. I probably save about $50 per scuba tank fill (costs $10 to fill both tanks at my local sports store) which offset their costs quite a bit. Sure you lose some PSI per fill, but IMO the scuba tanks pay for themselves.

You can see my precious right here:

dsc0780z.jpg

Edited by Lon3Wo1f

I do live on a U.S. Territory called Guam so there are times where its sort of difficult for places to recognize us as part of the U.S. I'm still fairly new to the HPA System so I've decided to get the DevGru 2.5 rig from RedlineAirsoft. I'm also getting a couple male/male quick disconnect nipples for the mags.

The taps I have available from a friend! Thank goodness!

The scuba tank I'm also getting a scuba tanked loaned by from a friend, I just need to buy a refill station. Refills at the local Scuba shop are only $3 ( WOW, RIGHT? ) so its no biggie.

ntrirish7, lon3wo1f. Thank you for your help and input. I greatly appreciate it. I just don't wanna mess up my orders as Im just starting out on hpa rigs. Im really excited to receive my RA Tech M14 EBR LVL 3, much more when I finally get to rig the HPA kit to it.

I just drool at your m14 lon3wo1f, beautiful rifle. I'll post a pic of mine when she finally arrives!